• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: My Son Has Ruined Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Don't Have Kids)

mdsfx

Was that just a not-so-stealthy way of saying " this game is so great and accessible that kids love it too!"...?

gotoadgo

Any wonder there's a negative impression of GAF everywhere else on the net. Holy shit, how do you people function day to day if an article like this gets to you THIS much?!

It's a significant number of posters having a reflexive hate of everything Kotaku, a reflexive hate of children and desire to criticize parents, a desire to read as little as possible before giving their own opinion, a low level of reading comprehension for what they do read, or a general humorless disposition. Or some combination of the above.

True love is letting your kid mess around in your 140hr save file, goddamn. I'm still traumatized from my cousin saving over my beloved Pokemon Gold save when I was a kid, so I don't know if I have it in me to be that generous. I think I'd be a very stingy gaming parent.

poodaddy

Gold Member
That's cute. My daughter is five and she does similar things but thankfully she knows to always play on her profile, and it's very easy for her to distinguish between the two; daddy's mii is the ugly bearded one and her mii is the adorable non bearded one. My gaming life is saved.

As a parent of a 2 year old boy, I can assure you that is fun to complain about the marriad of inconveniences that go along with parenthood. Personally, I can't wait until my son overwrites one of my saves.

xealo

jo4ZUjJ.png

Congratulations, unprofessional shit dad.
For complaining about being below the age rating, Zelda is an exceptionally tame game, especially for what this little guy seems to be spending his time doing when playing.

Parenting is tough, but you can't be voicing your regret by the time the kid is 4 years old. To me that's a little amateurish. You should've long embraced it by that time. I think that joke reveals what's still at the front of your mind. Maybe I am being too harsh and maybe your parenting is the result of how you yourself grew up. Either way parents should listen to advice from other parents, and they should do it in a helpful way.

Phu

Banned
Here's a protip, Gaf: Just because there isn't a '/s' at the end of something, doesn't mean it's a dead serious thing.

Any wonder there's a negative impression of GAF everywhere else on the net. Holy shit, how do you people function day to day if an article like this gets to you THIS much?!
I never really understood it until coming here my self holy shit. As a father of two I found it funny as all hell. My son lost 47 lives in crash bandicoot funny enough I almost made a thread about it lol no thanks

gotoadgo

I never really understood it until coming here my self holy shit. As a father of two I found it funny as all hell. My son lost 47 lives in crash bandicoot funny enough I almost made a thread about it lol no thanks

You're like Keanue Reaves in The Matrix with all the bullets you dodged there. I'm still baffled by this thread, absolutely baffled....

fahr

cant he just make another user on the Switch and have the kid play there?

EDIT: ok, he touches that on the article, but if he really wants his kid to have fun with all the late game cool stuff he has, he shouldnt be THIS bothered about it

He's not this bothered by it. He's already accepted his kid is ruining his save and he's ok with it because he's a dad and he values having fun with his kid over his save file.

He's just writing a funny article. Which I found funny because I'm a dad and I've done the exact same thing.

Just not Zelda. I mean. Seriously. Fuck that. Gaurdian arrows are hard to come by.

Loudninja

Man that was funny lol.

My son has literally replaced my Guardian Swords++ with a SOUP LADLE.

A fucking soup ladle people.

My son has learned to navigate Zelda's menu system to the point where he can literally throw away all my good shit in order to pick up every piece of trash he finds. I'm almost impressed.
Kids have special gifts for damage like this hehe.

For complaining about being below the age rating, Zelda is an exceptionally tame game, especially for what this little guy seems to be spending his time doing when playing.

Except when you accidentally (or intentionally) kill a horse in it. It's just depressing as shit then.

jwhit28

As kids we would delete saved games all the time. Making saves independent of the game was one of the only redeeming qualities of memory cards.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Can't you make a copy of a save file on Zelda?

I used to do this all of the time with my kids. There would be my file with all of the lives, power ups, whatever. I'd make a couple copies of my file and my kids would play off the copied files. If they ran out of lives I'd make another copy of my file.

Can't you make a copy of a save file on Zelda?

I used to do this all of the time with my kids. There would be my file with all of the lives, power ups, whatever. I'd make a couple copies of my file and my kids would play off the copied files. If they ran out of lives I'd make another copy of my file.
Switch doesn't have any save management and cloud saves if/when they implement it wouldn't prevent this from happening either.

lol, this thread is the physical manifestation of nofunallowed.jpg

On topic: I laughed at the article, though not as much as I laughed at this thread (for opposite reasons)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Switch doesn't have any save management and cloud saves if/when they implement it wouldn't prevent this from happening either.

I guess I never noticed. Sucks, because I especially did this with Mario games on 3DS and Wii U. I hope this changes by the time Mario comes out!

bengraven

My kid hates the game.

He was so excited to play it that he started a game and played for a free hew hours while I was at work.

And saved over my 100+ hour game.

I was angry. He was sorry. But now he hates Zelda because they make it too hard for him to switch profiles on WiiU and he is scared of doing the same thing again.

Beartruck

The site's own description refers to it as "infamous", that should give you an idea.

Crom

http://kotaku.com/my-son-has-ruined-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-1797004429

d2gsdzM.jpg

Great article. Made me laugh. Also made me glad I don't have kids.

EDIT:

For all the Gaffers asking "WHY DIDN'T HE MAKE THE KID HIS OWN SAVE PROFILE"

For all the Gaffers asking "WHAT ABOUT JUST USING AUTO SAVES"

I made my 5 year old his own profile and he only has about 18 shrines left. I had to read him a lot of the text though. Since he is so far in the game he often plays on his own and gets me if he finds something new that I have to read to him.

Makonero

I made my 5 year old his own profile and he only has about 18 shrines left. I had to read him a lot of the text though. Since he is so far in the game he often plays on his own and gets me if he finds something new that I have to read to him.
That's amazing. I think he's done more shrines than I have.

Crom

That's amazing. I think he's done more shrines than I have.

Me too. The bad thing is that he is farther than me and I have had parts of the game spoiled for me. I am thinking of starting over on hard mode but been playing too much Arms.

My 10 yr old has finished the game and found all shrines (with help from youtube). He has also completed most of the Master Sword quest.

My 6 yr old has finished 4 divine beasts, but can't quite take down Gannon yet.

Me? Oh, I have barely 10 hours into it. Wish I had more time to play.

Dreavus

It's obviously tongue in cheek and not a real complaint. The whole article is just meant to be a bit of fun.

Yeah it's this.

I never cared for the "Man, kids are so inconvenient and ruin everything! lol wow being a parent sucks lol, make sure you don’t have kids!" angle. Obviously it's a joke article but it's just not my kind of humor at all. I think it's awesome that his kid wants to play, so I don't know why taking a "woe is me" approach is supposed to be funny. Is it a "misery loves company" thing? Where I see his child messing up his game and think "haha, that happens to ME sometimes when MY kid plays!"

Outside of that he's just complaining about something that's easily fixed.

I guess so am I at this point.

Oh well, you can expect an article like this to be pretty hit or miss.

legend166

I'm honestly surprised that many people in this thread actually had the reading comprehension to sign up for GAF in the first place, then manage to navigate the interface and post in this thread.

JC Lately

My kid hates the game.

He was so excited to play it that he started a game and played for a free hew hours while I was at work.

I was angry. He was sorry. But now he hates Zelda because they make it too hard for him to switch profiles on WiiU and he is scared of doing the same thing again.

?

I mean

You just select the profile with your mii's face on it at start up? Sooooo....

My kid hates the game.

Pretty sure it ain't the Wii U that made him hate Zelda....

Top Bottom