• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Krater |OT| Not All Bombs Are Bad

090219bb38086f9b9cfd7f7691226c1bf5706b70.png

Links

Videos

Giant Bomb Quicklook - Must Watch​

Buy

STEAM PAGE

Most Recent Patch

Patch 1.0.10 (19/7)

General
Increased droprate for purple items
Most Ranged enemies will now attempt to move away from player Soldiers
Added navigation functionality to the world minimap
Changed tooltip for Intelligence on Character Screen
Fixed a bug where ALT loot was allowed in combat
Weapon DPS is now properly calculated and damage numbers will be colored green if the weapon has bonus damage

Quests
Fixed issue with some mission items that would stay in inventory after completing quests

Crafting
Added recipes for threat level 10+
Added crafting material for threat level 10+
Fixed a bug in the crafting system generating low level random properties

Human Bruiser
Cleave
Now deals 150% weapon damage (up from 120%)
Cooldown changed to 5 (up from 3)
Now generates threat equal to damage dealt x 2.5 (up from 1.5)

Mutant Bruiser
Ground Pound
Cooldown changed to 3.5 (up from 2.5)

Mutant Regulator
Tag
Now deals 175% weapon damage (down from 200%)
Cooldown changed to 8 (up from 5)
Explosion delay changed to 1.5 (down from 2 seconds)

Human Slayer
Stab
Now deals 180% weapon damage (up from 130%)

Mutant Slayer
Perforate
Hitbox range is now 8 (up from 6)

Splurt
Now deals 50% weapon damage every 0.5 seconds (up from 20%)​

---

Quickest and Dirtiest OT I could muster. I'd like to thank Jeebus, Fazool and IDEA.

d0c_zaius

I watched a friend play this and I was surprised to hear the hate it got as it looked good. The music in particular is AMAZING.

It looks really cool. I wanted to pre-order it but with Diablo 3 and Torhclight II pre-ordered, I passed on buying it. I really like Fat Shark though, Lead & Gold was rad (too bad it's a ghost town) and I really like Hamilton's Great Adventure.

I should just buy it, it's only 15$.

Much love for this strange beast. Now, down to business, folks...what wishes do you have this curious game? The ability to pause and delegate attacks, abilities would be terrific, but I don't know how that'd dilute or change the dev intent.

EDIT: Of course, this wouldn't work in co-op...but that's going to be awesome.

I think I'd most like support characters to know their place and pull back to a safe operational distance of their own accord when an encounter occurs.

Inkwell

Banned
The game seems like a neat mashup of Fallout and Diablo with some Borderlands sprinkled in. I'm really interested in getting this, but I won't be able to play it. Diablo 3 messed up my hand and arm Somehow. I can't take much more clicking :(. It even hurts when I just use my PC normally. I've been playing PC games using m/kb for years and years and never had anything like this happen.

Actually, interestingly enough, it's not really a clicky-clicky game in the same sense. Player characters auto-attack and you augment them with hotkey attacks. You can assign attack priority to particular enemies within a mob.

Much love for this strange beast. Now, down to business, folks...what wishes do you have this curious game? The ability to pause and delegate attacks, abilities would be terrific, but I don't know how that'd dilute or change the dev intent.

EDIT: Of course, this wouldn't work in co-op...but that's going to be awesome.

I think I'd most like support characters to know their place and pull back to a safe operational distance of their own accord when an encounter occurs.

More races and classes, are the obvious wishes I think. In addition to that though, I would like to see the level cap raised higher. Once I got to 15 there was no incentive to do side quests in the mid to late game.

Inkwell

Banned
Actually, interestingly enough, it's not really a clicky-clicky game in the same sense. Player characters auto-attack and you augment them with hotkey attacks. You can assign attack priority to particular enemies within a mob.

That's good to know. Makes it sound a bit like a simplified Baldur's Gate then. I'm still going to hold off for a bit, but might pick it up during the summer sale if it's discounted.

More races and classes, are the obvious wishes I think. In addition to that though, I would like to see the level cap raised higher. Once I got to 15 there was no incentive to do side quests in the mid to late game.

It'll be interesting to see what they add with Pledge of the Patriarch expansion.

I'm fine with the character classes and races, but I'd very much like to see a lot more variety in the enemies. And more mad loot OR a greater range in implants and boosters.

EDIT: Ah, this was on the official page in regards to PotP expansion:

- As the result of the outcome from the first part of the trilogy a new part of the crater is opened up and accessible for the players
- A new player race with accompanying four classes
- Several new enemy factions an monsters
- New player content (weapons, crafting materials and upgrades etc)

There you go. Q3 2012.

Moobabe

Yes, yes, YES. Good work on the OT man - I'd add the GB Quicklook to the OP though - plus maybe the most recent patch notes which 'correct' the issue many people had with having to retire characters and pick up new ones.

I contacted Fatshark for comment re: a demo - they said they're in talks for one but that co-op is their main priority at the moment.

So glad you made this thread though; this game needs more love!

B00TE

I'm picking this up when I can. Which might not be for awhile, but I've been looking at the game since it showed up on the Steam front page and it just looks so cool. Regretting not just buying it sooner and having to wait now.

Moobabe

I'm picking this up when I can. Which might not be for awhile, but I've been looking at the game since it showed up on the Steam front page and it just looks so cool. Regretting not just buying it sooner and having to wait now.

Co-op is fast approaching which should iron out one or two issues I have with the combat and unit movement; there might be a shortage of GAFfers to play with but Pylon and I will be trumpeting this game forever.

Co-op is fast approaching which should iron out one or two issues I have with the combat and unit movement; there might be a shortage of GAFfers to play with but Pylon and I will be trumpeting this game forever.

You are, after all, the journalistic spike that will plunge deep into the innards of Fatshark to get the low-down from here on out, Krater-wise.

Should we make a Krater GAF Steam group in the near future for the co-op patch? I have 0 friends with the game, despite everyone asking me how it is whenever I launch it. :p

Moobabe

Should we make a Krater GAF Steam group in the near future for the co-op patch? I have 0 friends with the game, despite everyone asking me how it is whenever I launch it. :p

Yeah we could do - we wanted to create this thread to bring a bit more exposure to the game as well - it's reasonably priced and has developers who are taking the criticism very seriously and making changes accordingly.

B00TE

So I broke down and bought this. Not regretting it one bit, the game is so far a lot of fun to play. Some things I wish it had: the ability to pause and issue orders as well as possibly a formation, like what was in Baldur's Gate. I'm glad they added the boot camp, I got way to attached to my bruiser quickly and I'm happy he'll get to stick around some more.

Combat has been way more fun than I thought it would be. Everything flows nicely and it just feels good to play.

I restarted my game last night - another hardcore run - after feeling like I've come to grips with the systems and understood the game a lot better. So fun.

New Patch!

Version 1.0.5
- Added more new NPC dialogues in major locations.
- Fixed an issue with infinite rewards when accepting the quest "Trials of Torgny".
- Removed some loitering questbound characters. Unfortunately this will only affect new saves.
- Fixed some rare issues with implants and blueprints.
- Fixed material outlines for bears, hounds and moose so that they now show as red when behind objects.
- Soldiers can be upgraded in bootcamp with left click.
- Fixed an issue with booster/implants being locked on soldiers not in current team when upgraded.
- Fixed leech.

Ahh, I want to find the time to play this game. But it's great that it keeps getting patches and getting better while I can't play.

Stupid question, I can't find the bootcamps though, are they inside the cities or outside on the map?

Ahh, I want to find the time to play this game. But it's great that it keeps getting patches and getting better while I can't play.

Stupid question, I can't find the bootcamps though, are they inside the cities or outside on the map?

I think you'll find them near the recruitment officers in each town. I imagine there's a icon on the map to help you.

Moobabe

So I broke down and bought this. Not regretting it one bit, the game is so far a lot of fun to play. Some things I wish it had: the ability to pause and issue orders as well as possibly a formation, like what was in Baldur's Gate. I'm glad they added the boot camp, I got way to attached to my bruiser quickly and I'm happy he'll get to stick around some more.

Combat has been way more fun than I thought it would be. Everything flows nicely and it just feels good to play.

One of us! Good to have another on board for the ride.

They're in cities, but only a select few.

I restarted my game last night - another hardcore run - after feeling like I've come to grips with the systems and understood the game a lot better. So fun.

What's the Pylon seal of approval, team wise? I'm rocking with 3 mutants at the moment - Bruiser, Slayer and Medikus, though in truth I don't really rate the Slayers that highly.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Bought this from their website a long time ago, been checking on it time to time. Have to admit I haven't played the last couple updates so I'm hoping they've smoothed it out since then, because it was pretty rough. The reason I bought it in an unfinished stage was because I thought it had a lot of potential and it seems like something I'd really have fun with. Gonna give it another whirl this evening hoping it feels more fleshed out.

I think you'll find them near the recruitment officers in each town. I imagine there's a icon on the map to help you.

Thanks, thought I checked everywhere but I must have missed it. Was looking in the capital city, suicide run there even though my characters are around level 10.

What's the Pylon seal of approval, team wise? I'm rocking with 3 mutants at the moment - Bruiser, Slayer and Medikus, though in truth I don't really rate the Slayers that highly.

Oh, given my restart, I'm back to rocking a human pack. I'm warming up to the Slayer, but I'll always feel more comfortable with two ranged troops and a Bruiser. Hope to spend more time over the weekend wandering the landscape. We'll see what happens.

Looking forward to grinding up some benchwarmer troops, too. Just to err on the side of caution, given my Pyrrhic hardcore run last time. Lotta dead and dying, to be sure.

Thanks, thought I checked everywhere but I must have missed it. Was looking in the capital city, suicide run there even though my characters are around level 10.

No probs. And yeah, there are some utterly savage difficulty spikes...traversal can be unexpectedly hairy.

Moobabe

Oh, given my restart, I'm back to rocking a human pack. I'm warming up to the Slayer, but I'll always feel more comfortable with two ranged troops and a Bruiser. Hope to spend more time over the weekend wandering the landscape. We'll see what happens.

Looking forward to grinding up some benchwarmer troops, too. Just to err on the side of caution, given my Pyrrhic hardcore run last time. Lotta dead and dying, to be sure.

I think if the mutants didn't look so much cooler then it'd be a non-issue. And I'm the same: Regulator > Slayer. His kiting abilities are just so damn good. I might try and lock this one down tonight for review then just poke around a bit more for fun - Co-op is a little under 2 weeks away as well! Really interested to see how that plays out.

I think if the mutants didn't look so much cooler then it'd be a non-issue. And I'm the same: Regulator > Slayer. His kiting abilities are just so damn good. I might try and lock this one down tonight for review then just poke around a bit more for fun - Co-op is a little under 2 weeks away as well! Really interested to see how that plays out.

Looking forward to your review.

I lost a really good Regulator before I restarted; had a really nice combo of boosters and implants. It has certainly been said that the comparative lack of customisation leads to a deficit in emotional investment, but damn if I haven't felt a touch of anxiety when one of my lolloping masses of augmentations and skills bites the dust. We've come so far!

Moobabe

Looking forward to your review.

I lost a really good Regulator before I restarted; had a really nice combo of boosters and implants. It has certainly been said that the comparative lack of customisation leads to a deficit in emotional investment, but damn if I haven't felt a touch of anxiety when one of my lolloping masses of augmentations and skills bites the dust. We've come so far!

Yeah I know what you mean. I'd like it if there were "unique" characters - probably something I would go for via DLC or something like that - to add a little more to that attachment; but the cost of losing augmentations and skills really hurts.

Had a nice little session in parts over the weekend. Did a few sidequests here and there, ground up a few extra troops - including a pet project slayer. I must say, I loved the meat-gathering side-quest in the first town - missed it the first time around, or just didn't finish it. Ended up with this hilarious piece of weaponry for the Bruiser...

3a06cafc70f09bf95ffaf4597c5ed9330c98d8af.png

Mender's Bjorn Shovel of Correctness, as it were. Of course, you expect a post-apocalyptic world to involve handheld backhoe blades.

For scale:

Luvverly.

Moobabe

I need to put some more time into this - between work, a store refit and those hilarious pronunciation videos on youtube I've not had the most productive week.

That weapon is badass though - I did that quest to a point but eventually dropped it after I realised I was just gathering meat.

Moobabe

If we can work out the timezone differences and I can get the ladies of the house to allow for such a luxury, it is on.

I forget you live on the other side of the globe - I'm pretty flexible though so we'll see how it goes.

Has anyone else picked this up yet? I feel like there's maybe 4 of us of have...

Moobabe

That is a nice box... I just got called to work during an intense Krater session. Time to load this mother back up.

Xander51

I need to play more of this! It's an amazing game. Easily my favorite thing that Fatshark has worked on.

I need to play more of this! It's an amazing game. Easily my favorite thing that Fatshark has worked on.

Outside of the already listed hopes and dreams, all I'd need is a little more in the way of item boxes out in the wilderness. Let me do the Diablo thing and search treestumps and whatnot. Otherwise, I find myself logging in to level up new troops and try different implant and booster combos quite regularly.

Moobabe

Cloud saving and all that. We need reports once you're done. Oh, and whenever that review's done... :D

What are you my editor?

Outside of the already listed hopes and dreams, all I'd need is a little more in the way of item boxes out in the wilderness. Let me do the Diablo thing and search treestumps and whatnot. Otherwise, I find myself logging in to level up new troops and try different implant and booster combos quite regularly.

I find one of my only major gripes with the game is its seeming randomness at unselecting party members - most annoying when my medikus gets unselected...

What else would you guys like to see? I might start compiling some questions for the guys.

Fake Edit

I may be going to Rezzed this weekend and the Fat Shark guys will be there - let me know your burning questions.

still interested in this game but holding off mainly because it's got ABYSMAL reviews all over the place (got a 56% average at Gamerankings wtf)

Shame the opinions on this one are so divided, some say it's awesome while others hate it, confused what to think :(

Top Bottom