• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Krater |OT| Not All Bombs Are Bad

How many folks here are playing in hardcore/permadeath mode? No wearisome penis-waggling, just would like to get some experiences. I personally think it's the way to play, given injuries and, Solside help us, the event of death.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Y'know, with all the feedback they've been getting, I'm curious as to why they haven't changed the way special attacks affect the music. It's kind of annoying that the volume lowers whenever you use a special. Especially since the music is so good :(

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
How many folks here are playing in hardcore/permadeath mode? No wearisome penis-waggling, just would like to get some experiences. I personally think it's the way to play, given injuries and, Solside help us, the event of death.

Once I get used to the mechanics a bit more and where to go Im going to restart in that mode.

I finally have my team at level 15 and threat level 7 is no longer any problem. What's the highest threat level for the main story, 10?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Well worth it, I reckon. Raises the stakes immeasurably.

Oh no doubt. I see it as being fun since teaches you to be a lot more careful and think things out. Am still pretty cautious as is on the vanilla mode.

I wish that they had a formation selection. Since the wedge formation am not a fan of currently. Wish I could have my guys set up in a column, so that way it would always be the meat shield in the front. I hate it when the wedge gets screwed up so its a lot of readjusting to make sure the wrong guy doesnt step forward.

Oh no doubt. I see it as being fun since teaches you to be a lot more careful and think things out. Am still pretty cautious as is on the vanilla mode.

I wish that they had a formation selection. Since the wedge formation am not a fan of currently. Wish I could have my guys set up in a column, so that way it would always be the meat shield in the front. I hate it when the wedge gets screwed up so its a lot of readjusting to make sure the wrong guy doesnt step forward.

Yeah, I think either a formation or a little bit of team AI that pulls the ranged troops back. My poor old bruiser vet usually has movement disabilities, so either it's my imagination, or my fresh mutie medikus is always racing to the front.

Lost a couple of troops over the weekend, so have been doing a few runs into Limbo for a grind. It's great how you get a feel for working out cohesive booster/implant stacks within your team...coupling those area effect abilities with some very helpful boosters. My current regulator is crit'ing like nobody's business, but his shock has a delightful stack of damage boosters applied, so by the time the unfortunate target comes out of it, he's usually a few shots shy of dead already.

Can't get enough.

I wholeheartedly recommend the hardcore permadeath mode and shall continue to sing its harsh praises.

Achtius

wow, after using the implants, the game is a bit easier. I still don't know if I should stacks int or focus or balance between the two for regulator =/

also how does multiplayer works, the button to 'log in' doesn't seem to work

Moobabe

wow, after using the implants, the game is a bit easier. I still don't know if I should stacks int or focus or balance between the two for regulator =/

also how does multiplayer works, the button to 'log in' doesn't seem to work

It's not live as of yet - it was going to be this month but has been put back so they can address some of the more obvious concerns.

Picked this up on the Steam sale, and I'm still not really sure what I think of it. The atmosphere and style are really cool and unique (the music especially is fantastic), and I like the combat system for the most part. It's not at all Diablo-like, but it has a really fun rhythm to it.

I'm a little baffled by the difficulty curve though. I'll often be sailing through an area, then hit a group that is completely impenetrable by my team (two medics that can outheal all of my damage, for example). And there doesn't seem to be any way to disengage from combat once you've aggro'd, so having one character go down is often a wipe unless it's at the very tail-end of the fight. Then when you wipe, you have to trudge all the way back from town and backtrack through everything you've already cleared. I feel like I must be missing something.

I'm still having a lot of fun with it. It's a really unique take on the action RPG genre, and I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with the multiplayer and other additions.

Moobabe

Picked this up on the Steam sale, and I'm still not really sure what I think of it. The atmosphere and style are really cool and unique (the music especially is fantastic), and I like the combat system for the most part. It's not at all Diablo-like, but it has a really fun rhythm to it.

I'm a little baffled by the difficulty curve though. I'll often be sailing through an area, then hit a group that is completely impenetrable by my team (two medics that can outheal all of my damage, for example). And there doesn't seem to be any way to disengage from combat once you've aggro'd, so having one character go down is often a wipe unless it's at the very tail-end of the fight. Then when you wipe, you have to trudge all the way back from town and backtrack through everything you've already cleared. I feel like I must be missing something.

I'm still having a lot of fun with it. It's a really unique take on the action RPG genre, and I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with the multiplayer and other additions.

The trick when there's 2 medics is to lock one down using your regulator and focus the second with everything you've got. Failing that try and get some gadgets on the go to improve your damage output a bit.

It took me 23 hours, but I finally reached the end. The final boss wasn't a pushover, but I had no problem beating him the first attempt.

What I liked
• The presentation - the music is quite good and everything looks pretty. The user interface is intuitive and responsive. Considering it's made by a smaller developer it's really impressive.
• The skill/booster/implant system is not perfect, but still sort of interesting.
• Combat is fast and challenging. You need to pay attention to what you're doing if you want to stay alive. Being limited to only 6 skills isn't really a problem.
• Enemy variety is good and towards the end you will encounter some enemies that require you to adapt your strategies.
• Fast shortcuts for switching team members and exiting dungeons.
• Load times are extremely short once the game has started.

What I disliked
• The writing isn't good and I stopped paying attention to the story, factions, and characters in the beginning of chapter 2.
• Maybe I'm dead inside, but the attempts at humor really don't resonate with me.
• Pop culture references to Final Fantasy VII, stoner metal bands, and various Swedish phenomenons aren't that clever or interesting. I would prefer if they tried to create a story without IKEA, Livets Ord, and Mors lilla Olle. Post-apocalyptic Sweden is interesting enough without all that extra baggage.
• Enemy AI is very simple. Only some of the ranged enemies have different behavior. It would be nice if they added some patrolling enemies, passive enemies that don't attack unless provoked, and other simple variations.
• There is no reward for exploration. Why not add a special treasure chest in the bottom of each dungeon or something?
• Loot is too random and chests are generally worthless. Even in the final dungeons you occasionally get almost the same rewards as early in the game. You don't have to go with crazy high numbers, but looting corpses and opening chests should be exciting - it isn't in this game.
• Steam achievements are unimaginative and have faulty triggers.

My team
Human Bruiser - Human Slayer - Mutant Medikus
ibu2pPOeN67mMa.jpg

My standard battle strategy
• Pre-battle: Nano Injection (+60% heal, +40 stamina) - since this is done before combat it won't pull any aggro. The healing will usually negate all damage for the first 5-7 seconds.
• First second of battle: Stomp (AoE, +54 defense, + 39 strength), Lacerate (AoE, +80% damage, debuff speed), Cleave (AoE, +61% damage, debuff speed) - this will usually kill most of the smaller enemies and draw the attention of everything else. The debuff speed boosters will prevent ranged enemies to flee from your stabbing range.
• Mid-battle: Stab (+100% damage), Stab, Stab, Cleave, Lacerate, Stab, Stab
• Late-battle: Panic healing - most battles are generally over by now, but if they're not I just start hitting buttons at random while I try to keep my healing buff going.

It feels like it could use some more testing and tweaks. There are still missing item tags for instance. Overall I think this a mediocre game, but with a few easy tweaks the sequel could turn out to be great.

Finaika

It says:
Focus:
Increases the ranged damage of your soldiers, also increases the amount healed by your soldiers.

Intelligence:
Decreases the cast time of all abilities and increase duration of buffs.

So does that mean Medikus (healer) benefits most from Focus & Regulator benefits most from Intelligence? Or is it the other way around?

Yep, that's the way I interpreted it and it's also the reason why I decided to play without a regulator in my team. If you want to boost your regulators damage you have to dedicate implant slots to both intelligence and focus (as well as defense and stamina to keep them alive).

Jinaar

After the latest patch, I cannot individually select units via keyboard bound keys. Only by mouse.

If I press 1 for Character A, it selects everyone. If I just click on Character A and then press 2 for Character B, it selects Character A and B together. If I click on 3, it selects everyone. Its all fubar.

Can't play the game like this. Blarg.

Moobabe

After the latest patch, I cannot individually select units via keyboard bound keys. Only by mouse.

If I press 1 for Character A, it selects everyone. If I just click on Character A and then press 2 for Character B, it selects Character A and B together. If I click on 3, it selects everyone. Its all fubar.

Can't play the game like this. Blarg.

Can you reset your bindings?

And does anyone have the patch notes?

Aaron

I like the game, but I really wish there were one or two more classes. Someone who was a gun expert with more focused ranged attacks would be nice.

Moobabe

Patch patch patch

Co-op beta testing starts next week.

Version 1.0.11

CHARACTERS
- Increased character rotation speed values

QUESTS
- Added 2 encounters in the world map

OTHER
- Fixed mp3 tags in the Soundtrack
- Added release trailer song Stealing Horses to Soundtrack folder

Huzzah!

Hello again. As you pundits probably are already aware, the big Krater co-op patch and game overhaul is hitting October 23rd.

OOfjJ.jpg

a8mxj.jpg

From Fatshark themselves:

Fatshark on September 10th said:
First of all – thanks for your patience and support. I know the process of getting coop out there for you is taking time, longer than we hoped and wished and I thought I should shed some light on our current status of the coop.

With coop we are reworking large part of the game code. Areas such as the level creation systems, save and load system, animation and combat state managers and not to mention the whole network part. Basically everything that needs to be changed to facilitate cooperative gameplay with a client-server solution is now changed. But we will not press the button just yet. Not until we are 100% sure that the new features:

- will not destroy peoples save files
- crash frequency is reduced to an absolute minimum on most hardware setups
- offer enough new content to feel worth it to buy for those that so far haven’t both the game.
- builds a solid foundation for us to continue work and add stuff to the game (this means a large player base, a code base and tools that caters for easy addition of more content and a game design that is modular in the sense that new features can be added without beraking old ones

and most important…

- is good enough to get your approval and not being written of as a piece of junk produced without passion

Right now we have positive but still not absolutely totally certain answers on all points listed above.

Fatshark on October 2nd said:
Its all starting to come together. Krater will finally get it´s coop update – free of charge!

October 23 there will be a massive update to the game on Steam that will add not only coop but updated visuals, game play tweaks, new content, new maps, more songs to the soundtrack, improved user interface and much more.

We will keep you posted on our progress and more details about the release further on…

Also, for those interested, the Mac version is undergoing internal testing at the moment, and there WILL BE CROSS-PLATFORM co-op capacity, so you can get your PC and Mac buddies together for a romp across the Krater.

Ricker

Picked this up during the holiday Steam sale and I am enjoying it,although the save system(or lack of it)sucks and it seems my guys are stuck at rank 5 all of a sudden?...cruising along at normal then all of a sudden on the second floor of Hammerhill,it goes from threat 3 to 4 and I get demolished...back to town I rise with all the floors of Hammerhill respawned(I did all the sidequests,none left)...guess it's ok if you need to grind,like it seems I have to do now but they should at least checkpoint save you after each floor...my only gripe though so far,game is pretty cool...using Bruiser/Medikus and Regualtor for this section,might try Slayer instead of Reg...

EDIT: nm,just found the guy that you have to pay so you can raise your rank to 6-10 lol,went a lot better now ;)

So is the co op still just a few missions or have they made it for the story yet?

It's harder finding an answer to that then it probably should be...

It's on sale all this week and I kind of want to co op it with a friend but if it's just a bunch of individual missions, I'm not sold.

rybrad

So is the co op still just a few missions or have they made it for the story yet?

It's harder finding an answer to that then it probably should be...

It's on sale all this week and I kind of want to co op it with a friend but if it's just a bunch of individual missions, I'm not sold.
I played it last week with a friend and it was still just individual missions. The co-op missions don't even go up to as high of a rank (difficulty) as the single-player areas which was disappointing.

Top Bottom