• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Krater |OT| Not All Bombs Are Bad

What are you my editor?

I find one of my only major gripes with the game is its seeming randomness at unselecting party members - most annoying when my medikus gets unselected...

What else would you guys like to see? I might start compiling some questions for the guys.

Fake Edit

I may be going to Rezzed this weekend and the Fat Shark guys will be there - let me know your burning questions.

I am a backseat editor! No no, just waiting to read the Downton perspective.

Will think of some questions.

still interested in this game but holding off mainly because it's got ABYSMAL reviews all over the place (got a 56% average at Gamerankings wtf)

Shame the opinions on this one are so divided, some say it's awesome while others hate it, confused what to think :(

I won't say it's a perfect game, but I do honestly think being rather misconstrued as a Diablo-style ARPG in the wake of said title didn't help it much. More like an Infinity Engine game than a straight-up click-n-slash.

Surprised to see so many people on here pleased with it. The beta sucked ass in all honesty.

Wow, if this is a crowd, do a search for some of my other OTs, including Nail'd and Off-Road Drive!

Moobabe

still interested in this game but holding off mainly because it's got ABYSMAL reviews all over the place (got a 56% average at Gamerankings wtf)

Shame the opinions on this one are so divided, some say it's awesome while others hate it, confused what to think :(

Wait for my review! I held off a little and one concern (that you had to recruit people beyond level 5) has already been addressed.

I won't say it's a perfect game, but I do honestly think being rather misconstrued as a Diablo-style ARPG in the wake of said title didn't help it much. More like an Infinity Engine game than a straight-up click-n-slash.

This is a good way to think about it - it's not similar to Diablo at all; but given it's release window and the top down perspective it's been (lazily) compared a few too many times.

Surprised to see so many people on here pleased with it. The beta sucked ass in all honesty.

I quite enjoyed the beta - though I've always had "different" tastes to other people (apart from Pylon it seems.) What was it you didn't like about it?

Aside from an earlier patch causing it to run at 1 fps (since resolved), my main gripes with the game so far have been game control issues such as screen scroll speed being like molasses with no option for adjustment, having to sometimes pixel hunt on UI buttons, and your team being seemingly randomly deselected during combat. A lack of visual customization options, namely fov and camera angle tweaking, is also bothersome. The game looks pretty nice and generally runs well, and the music is fantastic. Combat is fun enough, and the upgrade systems seem like they'll pan out pretty well. It seems like maybe the game should have cooked a little longer.

@Moobabe: alright i will wait for your review then, make sure you're not gonna be biased though cos you obviously seem to like the game ;P

I get that it's not perfect, what game is? The thing is though that most reviews i have seen seem to say the game is COMPLETE TRASH not just alright or mediocre or whatever... i mean reviews like IGN's 5 out of 10 ??

I know IGNlulz and all that but still...

Moobabe

@Moobabe: alright i will wait for your review then, make sure you're not gonna be biased though cos you obviously seem to like the game ;P

I get that it's not perfect, what game is? The thing is though that most reviews i have seen seem to say the game is COMPLETE TRASH not just alright or mediocre or whatever... i mean reviews like IGN's 5 out of 10 ??

I know IGNlulz and all that but still...

There's plenty I don't like about the game, don't get me wrong, but some of the reviews saying it's "complete trash" seemed to have missed something completely - or maybe I have..

Fake Edit

Yeah I've just been and read the IGN review - their major concern is that you have to "throw out" your party half way through to relevel new people, which admittedly was a poor decision, but that's no longer an issue at all. And in the first paragraph there's a mention of Diablo...

I too might have missed the point. I mean, I really enjoyed Jagged Alliance: Back in Action - and that was pre-LoS enemy position patch!

You simply cannot trust my words or perspective.

New patch!

Version 1.0.8
- Made deep cave truly deep and crazy hard. Try and reach the bottom and say hello to Sluggo. We couldn't.
- Added health bar to the Team Management screen.
- Decreased weapon damage on all weapons found in areas above threat level 7.
- Increased health on all enemies above threat level 7.
- Changed the drop rate of loot to better reflect the threat level it was dropped in.
- Fixed the timing on the Mutant Bruisers chop ability to better match the animation.
- Increased the radius of the Mutant Medikus's healing orb ability to better match the designated area.
- Increased the width of the Mutant Slayers Strike ability to better fit the effect.
- Decreased the duration and increased the cooldown on the Human Regulators Slow Field.
- Fixed some localization errors.
- Decreased the cool down on the Mutant Slayers open wound ability.
- Increased healing done by healing Gadgets.

Moobabe

I too might have missed the point. I mean, I really enjoyed Jagged Alliance: Back in Action - and that was pre-LoS enemy position patch!

You simply cannot trust my words or perspective.

Exactly! You've lost it mate - one shrimp short of a BBQ! And thanks for beating me to the patch notes - what I needed to see what a health buff for enemies. I look forward to tackling that later as well...

Moobabe

So what if I'm double posting? Get this mother on the front page! Ahem, anyway - compiling questions for the fine folk at FatShark - got a few from Pylon:

• What did they originally envision for Krater? Pre-release player feedback experience?
  • The idea behind low unit level caps?
  • Critical response experiences?
  • Plans for upcoming expansions and content delivery?

What about anyone else? Maybe those of you who haven't played it? Or had a mixed bag with the beta? Or maybe there's a third person beyond me and Pylon who are having a whale of a time?

Moobabe

Shagg and Artist say they love it, would love some updated impressions if they're around.

Go get those answers, man!

I will! I'll put them out alongside my review which I think is about ready to hit the internets - I know the entire of GAF, nay, the entire internet has been waiting for my verdict!

The game has a lot of charm I think. It has it's fair share of flaws sure, but there is a lot to like about it. I especially liked the soundtrack, which is probably my favorite so far this year.

The game has a lot of charm I think. It has it's fair share of flaws sure, but there is a lot to like about it. I especially liked the soundtrack, which is probably my favorite so far this year.

Agreed. Between this OST and that of Endless Space, it's been a good year for the soundtrack. Heavy rotation of both on my pod.

Moobabe

Questions for the team?

Agreed. Between this OST and that of Endless Space, it's been a good year for the soundtrack. Heavy rotation of both on my pod.

I'm so tempted to get that soundtrack - the box is wonderful as well.

I'm so tempted to get that soundtrack - the box is wonderful as well.

That strange set of concept artworks is really what pushed me over the edge. Totally intrigued to pour over them when I get my mitts on it. Plus, a physical copy of Krater never goes astray.

Ah, the hardcore mode will be the, ahem, death of me!

I did go back and do a 10 level dungeon run in Normallm, at the Free Digger Site 01. Some total gelatine enemies to begin with, but I went down there with - hilariously - two back-up slayers and a regulator. Ended up doing a nice bit of levelling before bugging out from the depths. Found some nice implants and boosters, made do without a medikus by slotting a health buff into my regulator's AoE slowdown field. Worked well enough, kited with the shock and drew enemies into a front row of spinning axes and blades.

Having too much fun.

Moobabe

Ah, the hardcore mode will be the, ahem, death of me!

I did go back and do a 10 level dungeon run in Normallm, at the Free Digger Site 01. Some total gelatine enemies to begin with, but I went down there with - hilariously - two back-up slayers and a regulator. Ended up doing a nice bit of levelling before bugging out from the depths. Found some nice implants and boosters, made do without a medikus by slotting a health buff into my regulator's AoE slowdown field. Worked well enough, kited with the shock and drew enemies into a front row of spinning axes and blades.

Having too much fun.

I am as well - this is too much fun. I'm encountering a bunch of glitches which I'm making notes of but they aren't dampening my spirits. This thread may as well have been a discussion between the two of us! Surely there's more of them out there - unless they're all having too much fun to post.

Jinaar

I've purchased it and have been playing it inbetween replaying Borderlands on the PC and Warcraft 3 :) I am only 2hrs in and enjoying it.

I took the opportunity to keybind my Characters and Skills to the following:

Select Character 1: A (Bruiser right now)
Skill 1: Q
Skil 2: W

Select Character 2: S (Slayer)
Skill 1: E
Skill 2: R

Select Character 3: D (Medicus)
Skill 1: F
Skill 2: G

Character Secondary Skills (Like grenades, etc)
Bound to 1 2 3

I really can select each character so quickly and spam AoE attacks to keep things off my Medicus in the back. Works well so far.

Only issue I have with the game is that I cannot bind the Rotate Screen option to other keys. It is stuck on the Middle Mouse Button and I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it! That is all :)

Moobabe

I've purchased it and have been playing it inbetween replaying Borderlands on the PC and Warcraft 3 :) I am only 2hrs in and enjoying it.

I took the opportunity to keybind my Characters and Skills to the following:

Select Character 1: A (Bruiser right now)
Skill 1: Q
Skil 2: W

Select Character 2: S (Slayer)
Skill 1: E
Skill 2: R

Select Character 3: D (Medicus)
Skill 1: F
Skill 2: G

Character Secondary Skills (Like grenades, etc)
Bound to 1 2 3

I really can select each character so quickly and spam AoE attacks to keep things off my Medicus in the back. Works well so far.

Only issue I have with the game is that I cannot bind the Rotate Screen option to other keys. It is stuck on the Middle Mouse Button and I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it! That is all :)

Those are some nice bindings - one thing I've mentioned in my review (which isn't live yet Pylon) is that the game is closer to a MOBA in terms of controls than Diablo.

Holy hell, they ARE nice bindings. I might have to experiment...but I've managed so far, the muscle memory is being forged with every session.

Mubly, I think you're dead-on with that observation. Can't wait to read the full run-down.

Moobabe

Holy hell, they ARE nice bindings. I might have to experiment...but I've managed so far, the muscle memory is being forged with every session.

Mubly, I think you're dead-on with that observation. Can't wait to read the full run-down.

There's so much pressure now - this is the most in depth I think I've gone in a review. I'm smashing my head off the walls trying to find out exactly how to phrase my praise.

Moobabe

Take this Pylon! You want patch notes!? You got them:

Version 1.0.9
- Added option to sell soldiers at the bar.
- Compass added to world map.
- Quick selection using q,w,e now handles multiple selection.
- When pressing ALT you can now see what's in the loot piles on ground, and right click to pick it up.
- When pressing ALT in world mini-map the names of all locations are shown.
- When too far away from loot you will now walk up to it.
- Inventory now remembers item placements.
- The list of blueprints at the crafting table is now sorted and have a new font.
- Gadgets are now removable.
- Camera now remembers rotation when switching team.
- Tweaked soldier prices at the bar.
- Added a friendly level at deep cave level 45.
- Added mini-map icon for boot camp's.
- Fixed respawn at last friendly location bug
- Fixed so that mouse over locations in world mini map works correctly.
- Fixed annoying bug where shift-looting miss click on ground would start queue up move commands.
- Fixed bug where camera could sometimes get locked to your soldiers when swapping team members.
- Fixed bug where camera sometimes would fly away when pressing space.
- Fixed annoying bug where hud clicks sometimes didn't register.
- Fixed a bug when rearranging abilities did not work properly in some resolutions.
- Revive icon no longer shown when whole team dies.
- Shift loot now shows correct text, and is shown a bit longer.
- Fixed mouse over on buffs and stats.
- Fixed random crash when using mutant regulator tag ability on freak bombers.
- New deployment system for builds and patches (smaller and faster patching).

I love you Fatshark.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Seems like they're pretty quickly patching stuff that people had issues with to begin with.

... pity they decided not to participate in the Steam summer sale.

Inkwell

Banned
Seems like they're pretty quickly patching stuff that people had issues with to begin with.

I was just going to ask about this, but now it seems it's discounted at 25%. I could swear it was full price yesterday. Did they specifically say no daily or flash deal somewhere?

TGMIII

I was just going to ask about this, but now it seems it's discounted at 25%. I could swear it was full price yesterday. Did they specifically say no daily or flash deal somewhere?

Yeah it wasn't discounted yesterday for sure. Who knows maybe it'll show up as a daily deal at some stage.

Moobabe

It's £8.99 at the moment on my store, which is like 25% off I think. It's well worth it guys - I know the "wait for daily deals" mantra will win out probably though.

And the rate at which they're patching is really good - so much stuff is fixed already.

Goddamn! When I read they were pushing back the co-op/PvP patch in favour of adding/patching more fundamental elements...I didn't expect such an overhaul!

What a great patch. Tonight is Krater night.

Will add the patch notes to the OP when I'm not on my phone.

And yes, people, buy it! It's cheap as chips and totally not your average ARPG. So much character and wry writing atop the adventuring.

Moobabe

Goddamn! When I read they were pushing back the co-op/PvP patch in favour of adding/patching more fundamental elements...I didn't expect such an overhaul!

What a great patch. Tonight is Krater night.

Will add the patch notes to the OP when I'm not on my phone.

And yes, people, buy it! It's cheap as chips and totally not your average ARPG. So much character and wry writing atop the adventuring.

This man speaks the truth!

Gaspode_T

I literally had this one in my cart, but removed it because I saw some negative reviews...the main thing that concerned me was one of the reviews said it was too difficult or unbalanced (bad AI?) - is it like Diablo meets Fallout what I am imagining? That would be pretty cool with me...

I literally had this one in my cart, but removed it because I saw some negative reviews...the main thing that concerned me was one of the reviews said it was too difficult or unbalanced (bad AI?) - is it like Diablo meets Fallout what I am imagining? That would be pretty cool with me...

It's more like...an infinity engine game, something like Icewind Dale? Couple that with whimsical Fallout meets Borderlands in aesthetics, mix in a combat system that is much more akin to a MOBA game than Diablo...and you've kind of got an idea of what Krater is.

Moobabe was the astute fellow who enunciated the MOBA connection, so I give him credit for it. And those negative reviews speak of a game long since patched and worked upon.

Moobabe

As Pylon said, that game is long gone. I thought some of the reviews, even of the original product, were way off base and completely missed the point. RPS went with a more "diamond in the rough" angle - and that rough is much less than it was.

You can now level up a team from 1-15, you can sell soldiers you no longer want (which was a concern I had) that has been added in the last patch. Balance has been addressed etc etc - you need only read through some of the patch notes in the thread.

It's still not perfect by any means - but it really in enjoyable; it looks great, has a wonderful soundtrack and it really fun to play once you get your style down.

Moobabe

Double post again? Go on then you sexy devil! I posted my review of this fine, fine game right here. Read it and let me know what you think!

I expect a golden statue to be erected in Sweden over the course of the week. Pylon - any chance your leaving the confines of the convict lands to hit up Gamescom this year? (Pipe dream)

Heh, a man can dream...but chances are akin to a snowball in Beezlebub's glovebox.

Hope a few more folks jump on the Krater train. Any word on the pushed-back co-op patch?

Moobabe

Heh, a man can dream...but chances are akin to a snowball in Beezlebub's glovebox.

Hope a few more folks jump on the Krater train. Any word on the pushed-back co-op patch?

I've not heard anything yet - I emailed the guys last night so we'll see. I just hope Krater gets in on the daily deals - that would do wonders for it I think.

So I saw this thread and I remembered hearing about this game once before. Currently in the middle of the GB Quicklook.

It certainly is a mashup.

Fallout meets Borderlands meets Diablo meets Dota (though more like you're playing a hero that controls multiple units - e.g. Chen, Enchantress, etc.)

Kinda interesting. Not sure if I want to buy it (at least at the current price), but it certainly has charm.

Discovered these notes for the upcoming 19/7 patch!

Patch 1.0.10 (19/7)

General
Increased droprate for purple items
Most Ranged enemies will now attempt to move away from player Soldiers
Added navigation functionality to the world minimap
Changed tooltip for Intelligence on Character Screen
Fixed a bug where ALT loot was allowed in combat
Weapon DPS is now properly calculated and damage numbers will be colored green if the weapon has bonus damage

Quests
Fixed issue with some mission items that would stay in inventory after completing quests

Crafting
Added recipes for threat level 10+
Added crafting material for threat level 10+
Fixed a bug in the crafting system generating low level random properties

Human Bruiser
Cleave
Now deals 150% weapon damage (up from 120%)
Cooldown changed to 5 (up from 3)
Now generates threat equal to damage dealt x 2.5 (up from 1.5)

Mutant Bruiser
Ground Pound
Cooldown changed to 3.5 (up from 2.5)

Mutant Regulator
Tag
Now deals 175% weapon damage (down from 200%)
Cooldown changed to 8 (up from 5)
Explosion delay changed to 1.5 (down from 2 seconds)

Human Slayer
Stab
Now deals 180% weapon damage (up from 130%)

Mutant Slayer
Perforate
Hitbox range is now 8 (up from 6)

Splurt
Now deals 50% weapon damage every 0.5 seconds (up from 20%)

Top Bottom