• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Krater |OT| Not All Bombs Are Bad

dmr87

Currently watching the GB quick look, and it's quite hilarious as a fellow Swede. I'm definitely getting this, voted on it in the poll so I'll wait and see if it wins, buying it either way.

Moobabe

Just went and bought it. will see how it is.

You, too, are a leader amongst men. There's not much in the way of a tutorial of some of the more complex systems; so if you've any questions just ask us.

Credit to the Steam thread - but this is sensational:

73lQ0.png

Finished a nice session this eve as a mid-week fatigue buster. I say phooey to those who stated they formed no attachment to their little band of awkward soldiers! I'm going to be rather sad when life on the road in Solside gets too much for my current team. I've got an old veteran Bruiser who has seen a thing or two and one more fall in a fight just might require him to be put out to a boozy pasture at some bar somewhere.

It will be a sad day. Might need to take a few rookies into Limbo with him to grind out some semblance of a contingency plan.

Moobabe

Finished a nice session this eve as a mid-week fatigue buster. I say phooey to those who stated they formed no attachment to their little band of awkward soldiers! I'm going to be rather sad when life on the road in Solside gets too much for my current team. I've got an old veteran Bruiser who has seen a thing or two and one more fall in a fight just might require him to be put out to a boozy pasture at some bar somewhere.

It will be a sad day. Might need to take a few rookies into Limbo with him to grind out some semblance of a contingency plan.

That's what I enjoy so much - I wish there was some kind of legacy programme so you could retire your guys to create a new one with slightly higher stats - it'd give people a lot more incentive to go back over the older areas that they might have missed.

I love this game - if I didn't have to play Anomaly for review I'd be all over it again.

I'd even settle for a hall of fame, so I could scroll through my once-were warriors. A little portrait, stats underneath, a pithy line below.

Maybe a mentor programme instead of an itemisation glue-factory, assigning a old dog in essence to a new character and receive a stat boost or some sort of buff in the early game. Or a couple of juicy boosters...and with that, the tired soldier of a bygone age nods sagely before disappearing over the hill to spend his twilight years hobbling about a hobby farm, feeding chickens and waiting for his maker.

Herb

Banned
I've had this since alpha and played at release. I should definitely get back to playing this. Will quench the need to play Torchlight II.

Moobabe

I'd even settle for a hall of fame, so I could scroll through my once-were warriors. A little portrait, stats underneath, a pithy line below.

Maybe a mentor programme instead of an itemisation glue-factory, assigning a old dog in essence to a new character and receive a stat boost or some sort of buff in the early game. Or a couple of juicy boosters...and with that, the tired soldier of a bygone age nods sagely before disappearing over the hill to spend his twilight years hobbling about a hobby farm, feeding chickens and waiting for his maker.

'Joaquin The Northerner' Strength Booster - I can see it now...

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Finally got the game working and must say this does indeed have a great soundtrack like folks have mentioned here. Interesting system too with how the game plays for an isometric ARPG. Am digging it so far and do not regret this purchase at all!

"I like beers and I HATE BEARS!"

Best quote ever from the game.

---

You know that would be pretty damned cool

Parakeetman

Question, is there any way to make your character "forget" a previously learned blueprint? Since it seems I cant overwrite the one already learned with a better one. D:

Parakeetman

You should be able to overwrite it? You mean like boosters or implants?

Its for a rifle for the Regulator. Right clicking on it seems to do nothing. I already have it learned, which makes me thing that for some reason it does not want to be overwritten. Its a different blueprint too.

Moobabe

Its for a rifle for the Regulator. Right clicking on it seems to do nothing. I already have it learned, which makes me thing that for some reason it does not want to be overwritten. Its a different blueprint too.

If you already know the blueprint then you don't need to overwrite it - they all get stored once you learn them. You can sell repeat blueprints.

Euphor!a

Banned
Just a quick question about this game that I had some concern over... I read in the IGN review that
partway through the game "you're forced to throw your party out the window and start anew several times mid-game."

Is this true? I fucking hate when games do this and I have stopped playing games in the past because of it.

Moobabe

Just a quick question about this game that I had some concern over... I read in the IGN review that
partway through the game "you're forced to throw your party out the window and start anew several times mid-game."

Is this true? I fucking hate when games do this and I have stopped playing games in the past because of it.

That's been patched out - it's not spoilers: your initial crew could only rank up to 5 - now you can boost that cap by paying.

Does multiplayer work yet? I read something about a patch in August.

It was scheduled for July - but they pushed it back to work on some of the criticism they received, but I'd imagine August is the plan.

I bought it, if it's bad I will come and haunt you :D

I can handle that :p

SJRB

Gold Member

It's a core gameplay mechanic, yes.

There's word of a 'fix' for that because there are a LOT of people unhappy about it, but I'm not sure if it was already implemented or still in the works. It may even be just a rumor.

I too think it is a remarkable decision and it annoyed me greatly when I found out my party wasn't leveling up anymore because they reached their personal level cap.

Other than that I can highly recommend this game, especially now it's on sale on Steam. It's colorful, lighthearted, doesn't take itself too seriously but still has some good lore and a unique style to it. And the music is amazing, some of it sounds like it's coming from an undiscovered Vangelis album. Interchangeable party members is a pretty interesting system but ultimately 'broken' because of the individual level caps.

*edit: it seems I've been bested by Moobabe - the patch is already out and a "fix" is in order.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Admittedly, I looked pretty quickly, but there's no mention of the extras in the Collector's Edition. So...

What exactly does the Dr. Cerebro DLC entail? Can he die permanently like other recruits? Is he so overpowered that he's like an instant-win button?

Is there somewhere I can preview the soundtrack? I'm not inclined to shell out for one unless I know I'll like it.

Moobabe

Paying with real money or in-game money? Also , is that DLC character Dr. Cerebro worth picking up?

In game money - and he's just a mutant healer who can rank up to 15 without you needing to pay to increase his cap.

Admittedly, I looked pretty quickly, but there's no mention of the extras in the Collector's Edition. So...

What exactly does the Dr. Cerebro DLC entail? Can he die permanently like other recruits? Is he so overpowered that he's like an instant-win button?

Is there somewhere I can preview the soundtrack? I'm not inclined to shell out for one unless I know I'll like it.

He's not insta-win - he can permanently die as well. And maybe on youtube? The soundtrack is really good, though if you can't find previews you'll have to take my word for it I'm afraid.

SJRB

Gold Member

Check out "Krater - World Map theme" on Youtube - http://youtu.be/shzL1koCd8M

It'smy favourite track on the OST.

Top Bottom