• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Krater |OT| Not All Bombs Are Bad

I really hope in the fully finished version they will have actual skill trees and such. Would be cool to see a bunch of different skills and what not. Am guessing I need to find a new town to raise my guys level caps? Currently everyone is stuck at 5.

Yeah, you'll start finding not only level 10 and 15 soldiers available to hire, but mutant soldiers, too. Different skills etc.

Two questions.

1. Is it possible to rename your dudes? If so, how?
2. I'm considering changing one of my healer's skills into a buff that increases defense and stamina and leaving the other skill for pure healing. Which skill should I use for the buff?

Moobabe

So whats it mean when a new hire is green instead of grey? I assume its like getting a green item, and that soldier has better stats?

Yes - and also he should be able to rank straight up from 1-10, while blue can go 1-15.

Two questions.

2. I'm considering changing one of my healer's skills into a buff that increases defense and stamina and leaving the other skill for pure healing. Which skill should I use for the buff?

I'm going to say no and it depends - is your healer a mutant or a human?

Two questions.

Just running off of Moobabe's question, if your Medikus IS a mutant, you've got an Area of Effect healing field, as opposed to the human one-to-one healing skills. That said, even with the one-to-one healing abilities, if you equip damage boosters to these skills, they have a small proximity damage effect.

So, to be honest, I'd actually suggest working on at least a human Regulator for your plan, unless you've not got one in your squad. Do note that a human Bruiser can have buff boosters equipped to his stamp skill, which can be very helpful when in the thick of it.

Blu10

So I'm really enjoying this game, and disappointed that it's not higher in steam sales chart. Outside of the fact that the mouse scroll is slow, and the fact that there is the pay to level thing, this game has drawn me in more than the other 20 games I got thus far during the sale. A few questions though. Should I be buying other guys outside of the 4 I start with in case one dies? Is there anyway to get from the bottom of a dungeon to the world map without walking all the way back through? ... And seeing how I am already level 8 and the level cap is 15 and only in threat level 2, is there a reason the level cap is set so low?

So I'm really enjoying this game, and disappointed that it's not higher in steam sales chart. Outside of the fact that the mouse scroll is slow, and the fact that there is the pay to level thing, this game has drawn me in more than the other 20 games I got thus far during the sale. A few questions though. Should I be buying other guys outside of the 4 I start with in case one dies? Is there anyway to get from the bottom of a dungeon to the world map without walking all the way back through? ... And seeing how I am already level 8 and the level cap is 15 and only in threat level 2, is there a reason the level cap is set so low?

Are you playing on Hardcore mode? I've no experience with the non-permadeath modes, but if you are, I'd recommend taking a few rookies on runs down into Limbo or some of the harder fortresses around. Otherwise, I'd say it's more a case of recruiting a bunch of different troops and having different booster/implant configs for experimentation.

And yeah, to extract your team in a dungeon run, there's a little icon on the left side of the hotbar that has a picture of a house on it. It'll return you to the world map.

Sentenza

Ok, now this is getting interesting... I'm reading a lot of positive comments here, but the fact is: I *hated* this game in beta. It was one of the most dull and boring hack'n slash I ever had the misfortune to try.
And it wasn't just me, a lot of well argued reviews stomped this game for the unsatisfying experience it was, which would suggest me I'm not just a lone lunatic.

Sooo... What's improved so much since the beta that you guys are loving so passionately?
Cause I would love to give it a second chance and change my opinion about it if there are valid reasons for it.

Blu10

Ok, now this is getting interesting... I'm reading a lot of positive comments here, but the fact is: I *hated* this game in beta. It was one of the most dull and boring hack'n slash I ever had the misfortune to try.
And it wasn't just me, a lot of well argued reviews stomped this game for the unsatisfying experience it was, which would suggest me I'm not just a lone lunatic.

Sooo... What's improved so much since the beta that you guys are loving so passionately?
Cause I would love to give it a second chance and change my opinion about it if there are valid reasons for it.

I had never heard of it before the steam sale, but it seems to me to be a good mashup of torchlight, fallout, and syndicate (the old school one)... It looks good, lots of different variables with the boosters and upgrades. It has enough skills spread across your three guys (if it was only one it would be extremely boring), and the environs/random world map encounters keep it interesting... Granted only put about an hour and a half into it, but I feel like it's been well worth my money thus far.

Welcome back, Tuco! Thought we'd lost you there.

Yeah, it's kinda hard to pinpoint the main reason why it strikes a cord. Impressive sense of world populated by quirky Swedish bumpkins, encouraging team skill/booster/implant combinations to work with, tongue-in-cheek questions...and also those endearing oddball-like modules like random encounters and whatnot.

Might be worth jumping back in, if only to bring a sense of balance to the thread!

It's not perfect, and I'd very much like a little more in the way of dungeon loot - or at least individual inventories for the squad members - but they're doing good things with it.

Achtius

I just got the game and I am wondering if I need to have a slayer in my team? Or can i live with regulator/medic/bruiser? I feel like I don't do enough damage =/ But I need regular for the stun..lol

and also should i keep using the people I started with or should I constantly replace them?

also is there any way to change the order of the crew? Having healing in the middle is kinda annoying

Moobabe

I just got the game and I am wondering if I need to have a slayer in my team? Or can i live with regulator/medic/bruiser? I feel like I don't do enough damage =/ But I need regular for the stun..lol

and also should i keep using the people I started with or should I constantly replace them?

also is there any way to change the order of the crew? Having healing in the middle is kinda annoying

I'm not a huge fan of the slayer - the regulator has enough DPS for me, in addition to his crowd control abilities.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I missed a Steam sale on this didn't I?
LLShC.gif

Rahk

Well, shit.

I thought I had bought this during the sale, but apparently not. I guess I added funds to my wallet but then forgot.

Well, shit.

I thought I had bought this during the sale, but apparently not. I guess I added funds to my wallet but then forgot.

As much as a sale price is nice, it's not terribly expensive, either. Fifteen ain't bad. A lot of content for that price.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This game is amazing. I love the art and the music is amazing. Seriously, one of the greatest world map themes ever made, beautiful.
And all the swedishness just makes me warm and fuzzy inside being a swede myself :)

Anyway, tips for me please? I'm finding that the game's difficulty got ramped up quite a bit all of a sudden.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Played about 2-3 hours so far and not getting into it. Hopefully it gets much more difficult at the very least.

Has some neat ideas but I'm not sold on playing more.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Played about an hour so far and not getting into it. Hopefully it gets much more difficult at the very least.

I found it ridiculously easy at first. Now I had two of my mercs die and then I got two game overs. So maybe I'm just bad, or you're about to find it much more enjoyable :p

Though I'm just 2 hours in .

A very cheap and easy way to improve your characters is to buy blueprints for implants and then craft them yourself. There is no cost for crafting stuff, all you need is the right ingredients. Add a few stamina and defense implants and your guys will survive a lot longer.

This game looks so awesome but runs like fucking garbage in my PC...
and I'm sure it shouldn't.

The sound keeps stuttering, framerate goes down below all the time. I even put all the video settings on low and, even though it got playable, from time to time the framerate still sucks and the sound stutters like hell.

My PC has an Intel Core i5-650, 6Gb RAM and AMD Radeon HD 5450 with 1GB. Also have this with DirectX11. What is wrong? Am I missing something here?

BTW, not expecting to play this maxed, but to know why does it stutters and runs so damn slow even on low settings?

It runs fine on my inferior computer (AMD Phenom II X4 940 3 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD4890 1 GB).

Edit: Nevermind, my GPU is actually more powerful than yours.

This game looks so awesome but runs like fucking garbage in my PC...
and I'm sure it shouldn't.

The sound keeps stuttering, framerate goes down below all the time. I even put all the video settings on low and, even though it got playable, from time to time the framerate still sucks and the sound stutters like hell.

My PC has an Intel Core i5-650, 6Gb RAM and AMD Radeon HD 5450 with 1GB. Also have this with DirectX11. What is wrong? Am I missing something here?

BTW, not expecting to play this maxed, but to know why does it stutters and runs so damn slow even on low settings?

I'm on my phone at the moment, but google "Krater custom config", and you'll find some Steam and Krater forum threads. Long story short, once accessed, you can tweak and squeeze good performance out of it if you're needing it.

I shrank the shadow texture maps down to 256x256 on my beleaguered mid-range laptop and it's smooth as silk now.

I'm on my phone at the moment, but google "Krater custom config", and you'll find some Steam and Krater forum threads. Long story short, once accessed, you can tweak and squeeze good performance out of it if you're needing it.

I shrank the shadow texture maps down to 256x256 on my beleaguered mid-range laptop and it's smooth as silk now.

Doing it as we speak. Will update as soon as i try this. Thanks!

Update: Perfect! The game's finally running smooth. Thanks for the tip!

Moobabe

This game is amazing. I love the art and the music is amazing. Seriously, one of the greatest world map themes ever made, beautiful.
And all the swedishness just makes me warm and fuzzy inside being a swede myself :)

Anyway, tips for me please? I'm finding that the game's difficulty got ramped up quite a bit all of a sudden.

Experiment with your team setup - 4 classes and 2 variations of each - use gadgets and don't stray too far from the start until you're more comfortable (or you can afford to get someone to rank 10)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Experiment with your team setup - 4 classes and 2 variations of each - use gadgets and don't stray too far from the start until you're more comfortable (or you can afford to get someone to rank 10)

Right, so hiring new people is recommended then? I'll go check out that recruiting officer then and see what he has to offer :)

Moobabe

Right, so hiring new people is recommended then? I'll go check out that recruiting officer then and see what he has to offer :)

It is recommended, but no longer necessary.

On an unrelated note a customer ruined the story of Spec Ops: The Line for me today.... and THEN all the trains were cancelled so I couldn't go and see Batman! What a day.

Blu10

I'm loving this game...blowing through it. I just got one of my guys to level 15, but he has fallen twice now. If I bring him to a healer in town does that reset it?

Moobabe

I'm loving this game...blowing through it. I just got one of my guys to level 15, but he has fallen twice now. If I bring him to a healer in town does that reset it?

Depends what difficulty you're on - on easy and, iirc, normal - then yes.

Achtius

this stage is so hard.. I ran out of money to heal my crew. lol

random question: Do different people of the same class and same rank have the same stats? or should i shop around for specific stats?

edit: lol i am abusing gadget. use it, wait 2 minute for cd. and keep going =_=

Moobabe

this stage is so hard.. I ran out of money to heal my crew. lol

random question: Do different people of the same class and same rank have the same stats? or should i shop around for specific stats?

edit: lol i am abusing gadget. use it, wait 2 minute for cd. and keep going =_=

They don't have the same stats, no. I've found green/blue will have higher base stats than your original guys - but it's worth having a look about for sure.

Moobabe

Blu10

Moobabe

Thanks for the heads up...maybe I can get some tips from it cause holy crap did the difficulty ramp up in chapter 3

It's not so tip heavy - Pylon is an excellent mind to pick for hints and tips - he's playing on Hardcore; if anyone knows how to survive it's him! I'll do what I can for you though

Top Bottom