• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La-Mulana: Steam Edition |OT| It's Like A 2D Dark Souls

PTkZkS2.png

Release Date: April 15th

Developer: NIGORO

Publisher: Playism/Active Gaming Media

Price: $14.99

System Reqs: Any PC made in the last 10 years should be fine!

It's finally here!

La-Mulana, the most insidious Japanese indie game in existence, is finally on Steam. That's right, all the traps, monsters, weapons and goodies that you love and remember can be yours in the convenient wrapper of your Steam client.

What is La-Mulana?

Simply put, La-Mulana is an archaeological exploration action game. It is the journey of a man named Lemeza through a treacherous and unforgiving ancient ruin. La-Mulana wants you dead. It won't hold your hand, and it won't whisper that "everything will be all right" when things start to go sour. La-Mulana will trick you into making dumb decisions. It will punish you for not heeding its warnings. It will squash you, fry you, incinerate you and shoot you.

La-Mulana is like a side-scrolling Dark Souls.

Screenshots:

What's the point of La-Mulana?

Glad you asked. Lemeza's mission in La-Mulana is to explore the ruins of La-Mulana and discover its secrets. Along the way, he'll find Zelda-style items that will allow him to traverse new areas of ruins, buy gadgets to decode tablets, buy new weapons to face stronger foes, and eat a whole lot of curry.

Each segment of the ruins is filled with vicious creatures, devious traps, bloodthirsty boss creatures, and loads of secrets and puzzles. You're going to die. A lot. But that's part of the game, so if you get stuck just push through and you'll get a fairly rewarding experience.

So does the Steam version have achievements?

Yes! The Steam version has a total of 64 achievements, most of which are hidden. Playism is still pretty mum on what many of the achievements are, but they have said that they're very true to the spirit of La Mulana.

I love the music. Is there a soundtrack available?

There is! NIGORO has put the soundtrack up on Bandcamp, and you can buy it right this second. Click here for disc 1, here for disc 2, and here for disc 3.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
When ARE we supposed to see the Steam code for that anyway?

I might be inclined to just keep playing on Wii (U) though, I honestly got it there mainly for the soundtrack.

Probably some time by end of the week?

Also, what's up with the thumbnail screenshots in the OP, lol. Theyre not even that big to begin with

Davey Cakes

I'm STILL playing the Wii version. 25+ hours in. It takes forever if you're not brilliant at figuring everything out.

Still haven't figured out
how to access the Grail Tablet in the Graveyard of the Giants, after having dropped the wrong ice chunk and needing to find the "alternate route."
I know about the item that's required and I know where to use it; I just haven't progressed to that point yet, which is a drag. Really goes to show how non-linear the game is when I can make a bunch of progress without reaching an area that is actually available early if you do the right thing.

For any new players, please be willing to use a Wiki if you get stuck, so that you don't get too frustrated and quit. Also, KEEP MULTIPLE SAVE FILES, and alternate/space out saves in case you "screw up" and have to go back. Yes, you can do things that will make you want to re-trace your steps and avoid making the same mistake again.

Still a great game. It's like a very obtuse version of Metroid. Drops you into the world, and has you basically figuring out everything on your own, except for the occasional in-game hint. I like the structure, definitely, but the nature of the puzzles is not for the casual-minded gamer.

This game might not look it at a glance, but it's one of the most hardcore experiences out there.

Like a 2D Dark Souls? :O

Sounds like a game right up my alley. I picked it up during the Groupees bundle sale and sadly never tried it :(

Usobuko

Banned
Simply put, La-Mulana is an archaeological exploration action game. It is the journey of a man named Lemeza through a treacherous and unforgiving ancient ruin. La-Mulana wants you dead. It won't hold your hand, and it won't whisper that "everything will be all right" when things start to go sour. La-Mulana will trick you into making dumb decisions. It will punish you for not heeding its warnings. It will squash you, fry you, incinerate you and shoot you.

You have my attention and likely my money too!

Anustart

Played a couple hours on the Wii version and never looked back. I don't have the time for this kind of game. I was at some spot where I could go in god knows how many directions and they all lead to dead ends at first glance. Wasn't going to spend hours and hours trying to find the one hidden thing I needed to progress.

Decent enough game if you want to be challenged I guess.

Darknight

Seems awesome. Will get when I get some spare cash money. Sony should go after this game :)

Dark Souls + 2D platform? Into my veins!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Got this from Playism when it was $1 for a day, and I'm getting a Steam key from them!

so_good.gif

I need my Groupees Key so I can finally continue my first playthrough. I got into some really cool places and just hope I haven't forgotten everything already.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

A recent blog post just says:

We are not sure yet when they can pass out Steam key on each distributors, but they are working on it not to be long time after Steam version is
released.

Keys not being sent out prior to release doesn't particularly bother me as it unlocks at 1am here.

Eusis

Ah, I see. Well, I wasn't in a huge rush to start playing on Steam, I'd just liek to get it and put it in when it's available.

dani_dc

I can't wait to play this game, the groupees keys can't come soon enough.

I do feel bad about paying so little for it!
Guess I'll have to gift the game to some friends when it goes on sale at some point to make up for it.

FloatOn

I'm all over this but do we know if this port is good for the ol' comfy couch?

Any widescreen options? Is the text tiny?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

I might be inclined to just keep playing on Wii (U) though, I honestly got it there mainly for the soundtrack.

We're working on it. I promise! I wish I had nothing but amazing magical news for you, but sadly all I can say for now is "we're working on it".

I hate how every difficult game is immediately compared to Dark Souls these days.

La-Mulana is a kickass game, though.

I would compare it to Dark Souls in some ways. Come at me!

gamecenter cx la mulana plz

I would love to see this.

RM8

I wanted this so bad pre Wii release... Amd then I didn't buy it. I'd like having this on Steam, actually. 3DS would be so awesome, though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What's that? You want to watch someone venture into La Mulana for the first time while someone in PR says things that are incorrect?

Boy have we got you covered: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSF8zbUtsY1An4IxbQKC3ZOGm3xLs8YtM

Phil Kollar of Polygon and myself recently did 90 minutes of La-Mulana from the very beginning. We make sure to break all the rules, from being good at video games, to being accurate about the game's systems.

(I honestly totally apologize for the inaccuracies in the video. I am unfortunately kind of stupid)

Guess I'm going to check my Groupees account as well if I get a Steam key for the game. I haven't played the game so much but I did enjoy the soundtrack a lot.

epmode

Having already bought this on GOG, I'm a little sad that I won't get a Steam key while everyone with a $1 copy gets one. Oh well!

Dambrosi

Banned
Count me as one of the ones waiting on the Groupees key.

I did try it out for a bit on Desura, though. Good stuff, can't wait for it to come to Steam so I can start it proper (for the achievements, brah).

Persona7

Banned
Having already bought this on GOG, I'm a little sad that I won't get a Steam key while everyone with a $1 copy gets one. Oh well!

It does not really make sense for a website to offer keys for a service that directly competes with them.

That being said, the only thing the GOG version lacks is achievements and even then I think that it being DRM free easily trumps that.

Nigoro also said that GOG users are going to receive the soundtrack in the extras, but I don't know when.

Odrion

Banned
For as long as it took them to get the game on Steam, I wish it had a few more bonuses.

Still though, triple dipping on 2012's GOTY.

Top Bottom