• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La-Mulana: Steam Edition |OT| It's Like A 2D Dark Souls

gngf123

Another one waiting on a groupees key here.

Seems like every slightly difficult game is getting compared to Dark Souls lately.

wilflare

waiting for the Groupees key..
(Sony team needs to get on this and get it ported to the Vita)
:X

have a feeling it's gonna be more Metroidvania though (not that it's a bad thing)

The funny thing about Dark Souls' difficulty is that it's not actually that bad. Its just normal, how games should be. Hate to say it, but the casual gamer has really killed one of the best aspects of games in general.

Eusis

No really stop comparing things to dark souls plz k thnx

I'll get this at some point.
While the comparisons usually have some merit they do need to look if the games are really similar. This is probably more akin if you mixed a bit of Layton into Metroid or something while playing closer to classic Castlevania rather than any of the Metroidvania entries (which probably makes this a purer "Metroidvania".)
The funny thing about Dark Souls' difficulty is that it's not actually that bad. Its just normal, how games should be. Hate to say it, but the casual gamer has really killed one of the best aspects of games in general.
It's definitely challenging, but relative to, say, NES games it's more in line with something like MM2, maybe MM3 since that shaved off the most BS parts of MM2 but I recall was still pretty challenging. Though MM9 did get some backlash over difficulty when it wasn't even really harder than the NES games on average. Not that these were pushovers, but they weren't really the kind of legendarily hard games that most couldn't overcome.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
I think I was getting pretty far back when I played at the release, but I plan on going back at the start once I get my Steam key.

Deques

Why is everyone saying that La-Mulana is a 2d version of Dark Souls? Shouldn't Dark Souls be a 3d version of La-Mulana?

Eusis

Why is everyone saying that La-Mulana is a 2d version of Dark Souls? Shouldn't Dark Souls be a 3d version of La-Mulana?
Dark Souls is the Super Metroid of RPGs.

(And La-Mualana is too focused on piecing together the hints left around to really be compared to Dark Souls directly.)

Whether or not it has anything in common with Dark Souls, La-Mulana is one of the best games I've ever played. It's also frustrating as hell if you aren't willing to look up answers, but so amazingly rewarding when you solve a puzzle. It's not really that challenging to survive, as your character takes very little damage from most enemies, although healing is a pain. The challenge is in the puzzles, but it is so nonlinear that you have dozens of possible puzzles to solve at any time. As a big fan of NES action adventure games whose favorite part of the manual was always the item list, this game's enormous collection of items to find makes me very, very happy.

Keasar

Is the jump supposed to be so stiff? Cause I find myself often swearing at the screen because I cant adjust the jump distance in the air, jump to the next screen and lo-and-behold there was a cliff there.

I hope Playism will give free keys like they said some weeks ago.

Yup the purchasers from PLAYISM, Desura, and Groupees will get keys as soon as we are able to send them out.

We are still waiting for them ourselves. Hopefully it won't be much longer now!

Just beware :

Dark souls is a WAY easier game :

in la mulana without walkthrough, some puzzles will takes you weeks to figure out.

+ it's a metroidvania.

But there are so many secret, jokes, easters and such it totally worth it !

One of my favorite games this gen.

Eusis

It's a different type of difficulty, which is also why Dark Souls comparisons ARE kind of weak. It's all about figuring these puzzles out, not simply being smart and learning how to safely navigate the world and survive encounters, that part's (relatively) tame really.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Steam version releases on my birthday? It's a sign from the gods.

This is probably my GOTY whenever it came out. The original free version, I mean. I feel like this update loses something along with all the MSX trappings, and it's a lot easier.

Having said that it's still bloody brilliant, 10/10 stuff in any form.

This is probably my GOTY whenever it came out. The original free version, I mean. I feel like this update loses something along with all the MSX trappings, and it's a lot easier.

Having said that it's still bloody brilliant, 10/10 stuff in any form.

I think its a nice balance compared to the original. It's definitely more accessible because of the save system but they also buffed up bosses that were too easy in the original freeware version.

The small tweaks they did to throw off their diehard fans' expectations are my favorite part of the remake.

From what I understand the skill is all in the puzzles/knowing what to do, not so much the execution.

Yeah that's definitely the truth, although the bosses can definitely get pretty damn tricky.

We are setting up for the long haul over here right now. The NIGORO team, Amaya Pixel, a writer from Gamespark, and a few other friends are all coming to the offices to do a spur of the moment NicoNico livestream for the launch. Gonna be fun!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Dark Souls definitely felt like a 3D Metroidvania to me, so the comparison is at least relevant.

If still silly to point to Dark Souls as if it invented that style of game.

Maedhros

Don't, DON'T ACTIVATE THE HARD MODE. Specially on the first playthrough.

Seriously, don't fuck do it!

No really spoilers, so here's how to avoid activating hard mode:

When you start reading tablets, there's one which will say that you shouldn't read it again and it'll turn/flip to the others side of the tablet. DON'T read it again.

Hard mode is incredible fucking hard, the game is rendered almost impossible with it. I still didn't finished it just because of it. Bosses do more damage, more enemies on the screen, everywhere.

I got this in the GOG.com Christmas sale. Currently stuck on the Gate
Of Illusion
area, not sure what to do now. I was doing ok up until then, had to get some help with the puzzle to access it but apart from that I'm doing fine. Been a few months though as Uni got in the way. It's a great game though, feels like a classic even playing it for the first time. Will go back to it this weekend I think once work is done. The best area theme is clearly the opening area though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X_sTyAIfjs

Davey Cakes

The difficulty of the game comes mostly from solving puzzles and figuring out what to do next. Enemy encounters usually aren't bad at all, but there are parts where you have to be careful in combat.

I mean, think of how brutal the knock-back from enemies could be in, say, Castlevania. This game basically has that. There are many parts where you can get knocked down a couple of screens because you accidentally jumped into an enemy. The controls in general allow for more risk/reward navigation and jumping, similar to Castlevania.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
waiting for the Groupees key..
(Sony team needs to get on this and get it ported to the Vita)
:X)

Si por favor.

When you start reading tablets, there's one which will say that you shouldn't read it again and it'll turn/flip to the others side of the tablet. DON'T read it again.

Hard mode is incredible fucking hard, the game is rendered almost impossible with it. I still didn't finished it just because of it. Bosses do more damage, more enemies on the screen, everywhere.

oyk38.png

This one. Don't read it (twice).

Midou

Bought, page 5 of manual screamed Dark Souls at me.

Game looks cool though, did not buy it for it to be Dark Souls. :p

PolishQ

Ah JEEZ! I read that tablet in my game and I've played hours and hours since then. Now the mini-bosses in the Twin Labyrinths are impossibly hard. Should I start over??

Top Bottom