• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La-Mulana: Steam Edition |OT| It's Like A 2D Dark Souls

Ah JEEZ! I read that tablet in my game and I've played hours and hours since then. Now the mini-bosses in the Twin Labyrinths are impossibly hard. Should I start over??

Mwahahah so many people fall into that. It's probably the most evil trap in any game ever.

I did my best to make the english text sound as foreboding as possible!

HoosTrax

Just want to verify that the difficulty in this game isn't due to hardcore platforming?

I've finished every 2D Castlevania game on handheld, but I always end up cursing under my breath when I reach the clock tower platforming section. I tried the Rayman Origins demo, and as soon as I reached the first real platforming section, I was like "nope! can't do this" and promptly deleted the demo.

PolishQ

Mwahahah so many people fall into that. It's probably the most evil trap in any game ever.

I did my best to make the english text sound as foreboding as possible!

Man, that's crazy. I thought the trap was just that more enemies appeared in that room.

Davey Cakes

I've finished every 2D Castlevania game on handheld, but I always end up cursing under my breath when I reach the clock tower platforming section. I tried the Rayman Origins demo, and as soon as I reached the first real platforming section, I was like "nope! can't do this" and promptly deleted the demo.
The platforming is mild, I'd say. You're going to be jumping around a lot but not much of it is too challenging in and of itself. That said, platforming skill (like knowing how to jump around effectively) really helps out in terms of getting better at navigating your character.

If you can't really do platforming at all, though? Then I'm not sure how you'd respond to La-Mulana. It's a puzzle-based Metroidvania game.

As for the Hard Mode, that's one of the reasons to KEEP MULTIPLE SAVES. If you trigger something like that and accidentally save, but have a save file from an hour or less before that, it doesn't take long to re-trace your steps. Once you know what to do, the game flies by. It's just the learning part that turns it from being a few hours long to DAYS long, depending.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I got this on Groupees and decided I'd wait for the Steam release to try it out. Super pumped it's coming, looking forward to when the key comes!

This game seems really well designed, and having controller support means this'll be a perfect kick back, have computer connected to TV, and spend a couple hours exploring and dying.

Ah JEEZ! I read that tablet in my game and I've played hours and hours since then. Now the mini-bosses in the Twin Labyrinths are impossibly hard. Should I start over??

yes

EDIT : also there's an official nigoro video with some kawai idol explaing the first minuts of the game : VERY USEFUL, everygamer should see it.

Plus : if still having problems check out the ARMORED CHOCOBO playthrough on YT.

Davey Cakes

If you toggled Hard Mode and saved after, and have no backup save, then I too would still recommend restarting. The game is hard enough as it is.

hunnies28

I'm STILL playing the Wii version. 25+ hours in. It takes forever if you're not brilliant at figuring everything out.

Still haven't figured out
how to access the Grail Tablet in the Graveyard of the Giants, after having dropped the wrong ice chunk and needing to find the "alternate route."
I know about the item that's required and I know where to use it; I just haven't progressed to that point yet, which is a drag. Really goes to show how non-linear the game is when I can make a bunch of progress without reaching an area that is actually available early if you do the right thing.

For any new players, please be willing to use a Wiki if you get stuck, so that you don't get too frustrated and quit. Also, KEEP MULTIPLE SAVE FILES, and alternate/space out saves in case you "screw up" and have to go back. Yes, you can do things that will make you want to re-trace your steps and avoid making the same mistake again.

Still a great game. It's like a very obtuse version of Metroid. Drops you into the world, and has you basically figuring out everything on your own, except for the occasional in-game hint. I like the structure, definitely, but the nature of the puzzles is not for the casual-minded gamer.

This game might not look it at a glance, but it's one of the most hardcore experiences out there.

Like I said on the Wiiware version OT. Don't give up man !

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What are the graphics options? Does it support 1920x1080?
It supports any resolution, scaling with or without filters since it's a low res 2D game and no real widescreen so in such resolutions you stretch it or get black bars or choose from a variety of backgrounds to fill it with.

I think its a nice balance compared to the original. It's definitely more accessible because of the save system but they also buffed up bosses that were too easy in the original freeware version.

Ah, I agree - I think it is a lot easier overall but we're talking about skull-crushing difficulty against teeth-grinding difficulty, here. ;)

The remake is utterly superb, but I prefer the "MSX" version aesthetically.

In any case, La Mulana is one of the best games ever.

I love how Dark Souls is being used as a reference point for an old-school platformer, even though Dark Souls is pretty much an old-school Metroidvania/arcade game disguised as a 3D RPG :D

So... old-school gaming that treats you like an adult is the new "new"? If so, I feel hopeful for the future of gaming again :)

On point, still haven't played La Mulana, but hope to do so soon. Looks great!

Would like a critical opinion on this if anyone has one, seems every indy/new release is always awesome on release day according to these threads until a week later.

Would like a critical opinion on this if anyone has one, seems every indy/new release is always awesome on release day according to these threads until a week later.

Yeah as the above poster said that isn't really an issue with La-Mulana. The greatness of this game has been known for years now.

Midou

The game seems to have disappeared for me off of steam lol, clicking store page takes me to main page, searching for it only leads to trailer.

I can see it in the search bar, but clicking it does nothing. Guess it's a temp bug though.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yeah. La-Mulana is not a new sensation, it's a previously freeware classic, like Cave Story, though the commercial remake/release here is more substantial than in that game's case.

fokkusu

Keys not being sent out prior to release doesn't particularly bother me as it unlocks at 1am here.

Please,

give-it-to-me-nowcqb3c.gif

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The game seems to have disappeared for me off of steam lol, clicking store page takes me to main page, searching for it only leads to trailer.

I can see it in the search bar, but clicking it does nothing. Guess it's a temp bug though.

Weird, it shows up for me just fine.

If any of you are having the same issue as Midou, please do let me know, and I'll get in contact with our Valve rep.

Game is out

http://store.steampowered.com/app/230700/

Or was out, add to cart disappeared?

Yeah, looks like it just disappeared. Odd. Let me shoot an email off to our valve rep and find out what's up.

EDIT: The add to cart button is back.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Taking your word on this one ;P

I can see the game as released in the Steam store. It can be purchased and all. I'm using a web browser.

Yep. I just talked to our Valve rep, and it looks like the add to cart button disappearing is a Steam wide issue that they're trying to fix right now. As far as La Mulana is concerned, though, we're good to go!

thetrin

Played it for about an hour, it's pretty awesome and the good kind of obtuse which fits the setting. Can't wait to dig in deeper.

If this is your first time playing, be sure to check out the Beginner's Guide video on the Steam store page. It should provide some helpful hints to point you in the right direction.

If this is your first time playing, be sure to check out the Beginner's Guide video on the Steam store page. It should provide some helpful hints to point you in the right direction.

Is it the same as the WiiWare beginner's guide? I watched it and was amused at the paper tissue box joke :lol

edit: yup, seems to be the same

Nillansan

Almost in the top 20 on Steam!

Go Lemeza Go! The future of jp indies depends on you! ;)

I bought it on Nigoro's store on day one, then I double dipped on Steam to show my support. I've done my part :)

I can't wait to play it this weekend.

EDIT: Nice |OT| by the way.

justjim89

I'll definitely be picking this up tomorrow when I get some money. Been looking forward to playing for a while, could never get the freeware version working. Does this version have gamepad support?

HoosTrax

Time to dip into the old Steam wallet pot I guess. This leaves me with $9.42. Gonna have to sell off a couple hats to boost my funds and be able to buy Fez in a couple of weeks.

thetrin

I'll definitely be picking this up tomorrow when I get some money. Been looking forward to playing for a while, could never get the freeware version working. Does this version have gamepad support?

Native 360 controller support. :D

Looks like La-Mulana is also on the Steam front page top scroll! awesome :O

Top Bottom