• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La Mulana: Wiiware Edition |OT| An adventure years in the making

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I have been waiting for a console release to play this game, literally five or six years now. Started it yesterday night and it is really fantastic. So, so hard though. Not necessarily even "reflex" wise but just the puzzles and not knowing what to do. Reminds me of my first time through Super Metroid or something, only the world seems so gigantic and so dangerous.

It's kinda like, you know how by now you're good at Zelda puzzles, even if you play a new Zelda game you kinda know what to do? This game is like a different language entirely, even the basic rules are mysterious at first and it only gets harder from there. There have been times I have fully solved puzzles and not really even understood that I did them, then gone back later and had it dawn on me that what I did opened another step, which leads to another step, which leads to something else entirely...

Really fantastic game all around, best thing I've played on the Wii in a long long time. Would wholly recommend it to anyone who has ever enjoyed a Metroid or a Zelda or a Castlevania or Cave Story or anything like that.

cj_iwakura

Well, I've killed two mini bosses(one at the Sun Temple and one at the Water Temple) and I have a glyph, but I'm still randomly running all over the place.

Yet I kind of like it.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
I'm so disappointed that this didn't get the DLC. :/
Oh, EnjoyUp is not going to release the missing secret zone for Wiiware owners? That's pretty bad.

In retrospective, the platform choice for this remake was fucking abysmal for both development and awareness. At least we got the PC release, hopefully it makes it to Steam soon and people notice the game :/

Well, I've killed two mini bosses(one at the Sun Temple and one at the Water Temple) and I have a glyph, but I'm still randomly running all over the place.

Yet I kind of like it.

Get used to running around without a damn clue on what to do next!

But the Guidance Gate boss 'quest' is self contained, you should try unlocking it at this stage.

cj_iwakura

I wish we'd gotten more WW games like this, I think it's a great platform that went woefully underutilized. Also, the speaker remote notifications are always nice.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
I wish we'd gotten more WW games like this, I think it's a great platform that went woefully underutilized. Also, the speaker remote notifications are always nice.

Respectfully disagree. A file size limitation that effectively cuts content from the game, no permanent account system in place and zero awareness of new releases marred with a sales threshold for developers to get profits? Terrible.

It's a disservice to the game not to be on Steam/XBL/PSN where people can see it. Can't blame the audience, though - even I could have ended skipping this if it wasn't for the Playism version and I'm a huge fan of the original.

But these are my beefs with the service, not the game itself. Other than missing the optional bullshit-hard secret dungeon the WiiWare release is perfectly good for those with a penchant for hardcore exploration unable to get the PC release.

Davey Cakes

WiiWare only debuted in 2008. It had a pretty good start but I believe in 2009 things were still picking up, and that's when La-Mulana WiiWare was announced. The service itself wasn't great but the choice of platform wasn't the worst either, at least at the time. This game should have always been at least WiiWare/Steam, in the same vein as World of Goo or something similar, if not eventually going to all platforms including handhelds.

The life-cycle of development/publishing hurt this game more than the platform. That said, the limitations with Nintendo's download service are certainly a hindrance that most could do without. I think it was all a result of poor planning. The Wii should have been able to use SD cards and hard drives for storage/access from the beginning, negating the size limitations. Nintendo should've had a better plan for marketing WiiWare releases as well. If they were going to put a sales threshold in place they should have made it easier for devs/pubs to sell games!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Dif Japan get the DLC dungeon?
Shame we won't. :(
I'll double-dip if this gets green-lit on Steam.

TunaLover

Played it on WiiWare, I haven't many time to spend on it, and it looks like those games you really need go deep through it to fully enjoy.

Davey Cakes

Played some more of this game. It feels like the pieces fall together almost randomly. "Do some stuff here, do some stuff there." Slowly and surely the environment opens up. It's definitely an engaging and addictive experience because the game slowly feeds you the satisfaction of discovery. I will say it's kind of crazy that tablets in one area are hints for puzzles in an entirely different area, though. I could see why that'd be a bit much for people.

Eusis

Respectfully disagree. A file size limitation that effectively cuts content from the game, no permanent account system in place and zero awareness of new releases marred with a sales threshold for developers to get profits? Terrible.
Wii Ware DOES seem to be the best fit for deliberately retro-style games though, or at least it comes far closer to feeling like the real deal (when they don't unnecessarily fuck it up like TAY anyway), but the problems are as you outlined. Stifling storage space, no account system (though I'm thinking/hoping coverting to Wii U fixes this), and bullshit terms for profit. And no serious attempt at building awareness while letting all sorts of crap in before a positive impression could be built, cutting out bullshit bogging it down then establishing a great start probably would've made it hold its own against XBLA and PSN rather than mainly being good for getting MegaMan, Cave Story, World of Goo, and this, all of which (along with a few other games that only became temporary exclusives) can be found elsewhere. The only ones that are worthwhile and stayed exclusive, I believe, were Nintendo's own games.

Mejilan

I think we all know that WiiWare is a bit of a shitshow environment for devs and consumers alike. 3DS has largely resolved all of the major issues, and there's no reason to believe that the Wii-U won't build off that, rather than this.

Now... back to La-Mulana, yes? :)

Migu

Bought it a couple of days ago. I'm not far in, but so far I like what I get. Lots of running around without much handholding from the game, running out of life and dying while I try to make it back to the village to heal (I have yet to figure out the health system, i.e. what is that blue bar for). I just got the
Holy Grail
so my health worries should be diminishing I think/hope.

The music is nice but loops are too short. Graphics are okay, and controls are good! Jumping mechanics seemed weird at the start but I'm starting to master them. I also like figuring everything out by myself, even if it meant restarting all over in the beginning due to carelessness. It's a nostalgia trip in a new game!

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
(I have yet to figure out the health system, i.e. what is that blue bar for)
Full heal every time it's maxed. Pick up EXP drops (green spheres) to fill it.

To actually increase your Max HP you have to find Castlevania-style Life Orbs.

Just fought the first boss and won. What's the difference from the pc version???do we lose muchin the wiiware version?

A self-contained special dungeon that requires a very specific and obscure set of steps to be performed exactly as intended to access. This complicated unlocking method serves as a fine prelude to the bullshit room design, puzzles, traps and enemy placement that plague this place - the main adventure has some rage inducing parts but this is just on another level.

Successful defeat of the boss at the end will reward the player with the treasure which must not be seen.

Odrion

Banned
I have it on PC, but lemme just say that this game is incredible and everyone should buy it.

Man, I bet seeing this on a CRT looks pretty cool.

Mejilan

Awesome news. Glad the game didn't hit too late after all. I hope Nintendo's Wii U eShop highlights this one on its front-end.

I hope EnjoyUp/NIGORO change their minds about the DLC dungeon.

I hope EnjoyUp/NIGORO change their minds about the DLC dungeon.
I don't think it's a matter of changing their minds, the way it was being implemented was one of the key points which kept getting the game rejected from submission and causing Nicalis to drop out of publishing it. My assumption is that when EnjoyUp contacted NIGORO, it was probably figured that since the game was otherwise finished, they should focus on getting the game out at all then waste more (very valuable) time trying to fix whatever was causing the rejected submissions.

I would like to see them get it working now that the game is out and selling though, if they can manage it.

Mejilan

I don't think it's a matter of changing their minds, the way it was being implemented was one of the key points which kept getting the game rejected from submission and causing Nicalis to drop out of publishing it. My assumption is that when EnjoyUp contacted NIGORO, it was probably figured that since the game was otherwise finished, they should focus on getting the game out at all then waste more (very valuable) time trying to fix whatever was causing the rejected submissions.

I would like to see them get it working now that the game is out and selling though, if they can manage it.

Oh, I thought the DLC came out for the Japanese version.
Didn't realize there were cert issues involved. :(

Oh, I thought the DLC came out for the Japanese version.
Didn't realize there were cert issues involved. :(

That is the major reason behind Nicalis dropping it. They could never get the DLC through NOA certification, much like they could not with Cave Story. With Cave Story, they caved and released the game with the DLC included, but they could not in La-Mulana's case (see: game size and outside developer).

In Japan, Nigoro released the game themselves and were able to get through approval for the DLC and all that. Going through a third party to release worldwide led to the issues they had. EnjoyUp was able to get the game up and sent to Nintendo when both EnjoyUp and Nigoro agreed the game needed to be released w/o the extra content.

In short, DLC certification ain't easy with WiiWare. Oh, and La-Mulana is awesome.

Mejilan

What a shit-show. :(
You'd think if it was approved in one territory, it wouldn't be an issue for the others.
Ah well, here's hoping the Steam greenlighting works out.

NIGORO also floundered their way to release the game in Japan, the first release apparently was a mess (but eventually patched).

Hopefully they can plow forward though, because La-Mulana is awesome and I'd love to see what else they can do.

Enker

- Scan everything. Stone tablets, skeletons, background items, etc. That's how you'll get clues and solutions to puzzles. It helps to take notes. Room names (displayed on the map) are important too.
*Exception: the one tablet that says you'll get cursed if you scan it a second time - this one triggers hard mode on and you do not want hard mode on.

I'm wondering if I somehow triggered hard mode and didn't realize it (there's more enemies that didn't exist before and the existing ones have more attacks). Is that scan somewhere in the
Gate of Guidance, Mausoleum of Giants, Endless Corridor, Twin Labyrinth, Temple of the Sun or Moonlit Temple?
(those are the locations I have been to so far, but didn't notice anything potentially "cursing" me. If so, is there a way to turn it off?

I'm loving this game BTW - just hope I didn't somehow do more harm then good.

Eusis

Maybe they can get a deluxe version on the Wii U eShop? That way we can get the DLC on consoles, and possibly even go crazy and fit in some graphic filters and a mode for the MSX-style graphicsand audio (as is possible anyway).

Still, better to get it than not.

I'm wondering if I somehow triggered hard mode and didn't realize it (there's more enemies that didn't exist before and the existing ones have more attacks). Is that scan somewhere in the
Gate of Guidance, Mausoleum of Giants, Endless Corridor, Twin Labyrinth, Temple of the Sun or Moonlit Temple?
(those are the locations I have been to so far, but didn't notice anything potentially "cursing" me. If so, is there a way to turn it off?

Yes, it's in the
Mausoleum of Giants, in the upper-right corner of the map. The room is called "Room of Redemption", you can check the name if you found the map of that area.

AFAIK there's no way to turn off Hard mode once it's activated.

Maybe they can get a deluxe version on the Wii U eShop? That way we can get the DLC on consoles, and possibly even go crazy and fit in some graphic filters and a mode for the MSX-style graphicsand audio (as is possible anyway).

Still, better to get it than not.

Why would they need graphic filters? Because it's "pixelated"? All the artwork is hi-res then downsampled (nigoro showed off it's unshrunk versions on it's blog a few months ago) so if they wanted to do an "HD" release on Wii U, it'd be really simple to do no reworking of the art required.

(edit) Blog post link: http://la-mulana.com/en/blog/graphic-materials.html

Wait the japanese wiiware version got the last content that is in the pc remake?Damn, i hope we still get it. Anyway just managed to find the first boss lol.Even finding the bosses isnt linear :p

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry

oyk38.png

This one. Easy way to check: if you're encountering mini-anubis mobs that drain all your life in 2 seconds in this zone, congratulations! You did enable hard mode.

Alternatively, save and check the tablet. It's reading it twice that triggers the change, comes with skull ghosts sfx and the "triggered trap" horn chime. Exit and reload.

...because all of you guys found the horn that plays a sound when you finish a puzzle or trigger a trap, right? It's on the surface area.

Btw, I would recommend to anyone playing this for the first time to watch this beginner's guide video. It explains basic stuff, what you should do at first etc.

Also, the History video in the OP is the one for the Playism release. But they also made another version for the western Wiiware release. It's basically the same video just with a "Finally back on Wiiware!" sentence added.

Maybe these two could be added to the OP?

Yes, it's in the
Mausoleum of Giants, in the upper-right corner of the map. The room is called "Room of Redemption", you can check the name if you found the map of that area.

AFAIK there's no way to turn of Hard mode once it's activated.

I wondered what checking the tablet twice did. I might want to load an earlier save now.

So, after beating the fifth boss in the
Inferno Cavern
, I was a little clueless about where to go next.
I explored a bit, found some items here, some new passages there but I didn't find any new areas or items that would help me solve the dead ends in the previous areas.

Although I didn't want to resort to the wiki, I gave in and started looking up some of the dead ends I already encountered.
Turns out that, after you beat that boss, an entrance to a new area appears in a room/screen called
Waterfall of the Goddess on the Surface
I would have never guessed to look there, as I didn't find any hints to go there and that particular screen didn't have any signs of a hidden door or secret.

So yeah, the puzzles so far weren't that difficult, but returning to all previous areas after beating a boss just to see if something randomly changed might become tiresome ...
Although, maybe I just missed a hint tablet (or didn't understand the hint).

Anyway, now I'm highly motivated again. New area, here I come! :)

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Is there any reason that I can't use the holy grail to add the save point at the Temple of the Moon to my warp points? I spent ten minutes trying to activate it, but no go.

I know this is the Wiiware thread, but how does this play with a keyboard? I was thinking about installing it on my MBA's Windows 7 partition.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
Is there any reason that I can't use the holy grail to add the save point at the Temple of the Moon to my warp points? I spent ten minutes trying to activate it, but no go.

From earlier in the thread:

- Additionally, some checkpoints won't appear on the grail teleport menu because of reasons. You need a special software for that to happen - it's
mirai.exe
. I don't think they ever tell you what it does ingame but spoilered just in case.

Search for the software at the
Graveyard

I know this is the Wiiware thread, but how does this play with a keyboard? I was thinking about installing it on my MBA's Windows 7 partition.

I'm of the opinion that these games are best played with an USB controller so I hooked up a dualshock asap, but one of my friends beat the whole game with a keyboard and had no complaints on that front.

I'm glad to hear the game is doing so well. Even though Nigoro/EnjoyUp has stated they have no plans currently, I hope it does eventually get ported to the 3DS/Wii U/PSN etc. with the DLC content.

Top Bottom