• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La Mulana: Wiiware Edition |OT| An adventure years in the making

Davey Cakes

Does this game raise the difficulty as you progress? I feel like, as I'm finally getting a grasp of things (solving puzzles, getting better items/weapons), enemies become more numerous and minibosses get faster/harder when they were already a challenge to begin with.

Did I trigger something, or does the game "scale" the difficulty and enemy encounters as you get stronger and go deeper into the ruins?

hunnies28

Hi guys. Finally playing this game and I must say I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. Loving the game so far.

I just got the helmet so I guess I'm up for that water level.

thomaser

Does this game raise the difficulty as you progress? I feel like, as I'm finally getting a grasp of things (solving puzzles, getting better items/weapons), enemies become more numerous and minibosses get faster/harder when they were already a challenge to begin with.

Did I trigger something, or does the game "scale" the difficulty and enemy encounters as you get stronger and go deeper into the ruins?

There's a trap you can trigger that makes everything harder. You probably did just that.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
I'm at the Inferno Cavern! :D

I still haven't found a single boss! D:

cajCT.gif

Naturally, latter areas are harder. The game expects you to have gotten new/upgraded weapons, treasures and life orbs, not to mention better skills due to practice. Last half of the bosses have some incredibly trollish features.

Do note that if you're encountering increased spawns and harder mobs on previously visited areas you could've accidentally triggered the hard mode tablet posted last page.

Davey Cakes

Fuck me. I definitely must have triggered that tablet. I didn't think it would permanently increase the difficulty!

(I glossed over the point when reading this thread previously)

The game was already hard enough as it was. D:

EDIT: I now remember that I actually have a save file from before my last play session (which is when I triggered the tablet in desperation of trying to find out what to do), that was created ACCIDENTALLY. Lucky me! I'll have to re-do my most recent progress, but it's actually not that much considering that most of my time with the game has been exploring and figuring out where to go. Shouldn't be too bad to make up the lost time. I just don't have the patience for hard mode.

jman2050

"Hard mode" was a mere triviality in the original game but in this remake it is a legitimate problem if you're unskilled, so if you find it's TOO hard you may have to restart.

hunnies28

Ok. I found nothing in that water area. Now I really don't know where to go next.

Is it worth buying that handgun? It's the only thing I'm missing so far I think.

Davey Cakes

Is it worth buying that handgun? It's the only thing I'm missing so far I think.
It's really expensive but does good damage from what I can tell. Basically works like a rail gun from Quake III. That is, you shoot and anything in direct line is instantly hit regardless of distance.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
Ok. I found nothing in that water area. Now I really don't know where to go next.

How many bosses did you defeat so far? If you've done the ones for Guidance, Mausoleum and Sun Temple you should be far enough to go for the Spring guardian.

Defeating Guardians unlocks new passageways on previous areas. It's mandatory in order to advance.

This one in particular will also unlock something very good.

Consider the handgun like RE4's rocket launcher. Extremely expensive (additional rounds are 400G a piece) subweapon that deals the highest damage in the game and shouldn't be used on anything less than the final boss or a really desperate situation. Sure, you can farm for ammo and partially cheese your way through the game with it if you don't mind being permanently tainted with shame.

It's not needed for any of the puzzles tho. Completely optional, don't buy if you have to save up for other items/treasures .

hunnies28

How many bosses did you defeat so far? If you've done the ones for Guidance, Mausoleum and Sun Temple you should be far enough to go for the Spring guardian.

Defeating Guardians unlocks new passageways on previous areas. It's mandatory in order to advance.

This one in particular will also unlock something very good.

Decided against buying the handgun. Well I just started, I haven't defeated any bosses (That six legged thing on sun temple doesn't count I guess, is that the Guardian?). So far I've just been wandering in all areas. I just read you can get the holy grail in the first area.
The items I currently have are:

The water/fires proof cases. Hermes boots. Heltmet. Some guild software. And I have unlocked the fairies with the Isis pendant. And two healt upgrades.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
Decided against buying the handgun. Well I just started, I haven't defeated any bosses (That six legged thing on sun temple doesn't count I guess, is that the Guardian?). So far I've just been wandering in all areas. I just read you can get the holy grail in the first area.

Priority: get that Holy Grail right now.

The enemy you mention is a midboss. Proper bosses in this game (Guardians) aren't "found" - you need to summon them. In order to do so, you will have to make a giant ankh appear by solving a specific puzzle within the area, then finding a jewel and manually using them together. Obviously, recall and save before activating the ankh jewel.

My suggestion is to go back to the Guidance Gate and figure out what you're missing, as this one is completely self-contained, no need to visit other areas or gather items other than a couple weights. Be aware there will be other puzzles in this zone you cannot do yet.

If you need additional hints: look for
invisible bridges
and check out the huge rock that gets you zapped if you try to strike it.

epmode

So this game is looking very promising but I'm having trouble at the start. I've purchased all of the equipment from the starting area (save for the handgun) and I'm not sure where to go.

I can get beyond the water area without a helmet but I wind up having to spend too much time underwater to get to that fire temple. By that point, my life is too low to do anything useful.

Should I continue exploring the initial temple area or should I really be in the water area by now?

edit: Just found the Grail. That should help a bit.

Enker

Well, I've been soldiering on in Hard Mode. The extra enemies aren't too bad once you get the
Axe
. (Although I will admit to using the aforementioned Pistol on
Ellimac
).

However, now I'm stuck between a rock
Viy, who's eyeball blood is very hard to dodge even with the silver shield
and a hard place
Chi You, who is only stunned for a split second before jumping into you again
. Even with pretty much every item attainable so far, the mechanics of these fights is insane.

Any tips?

Maxrunner

Guys this game.....jesus i have 13 hours into it and i cant kill the second boss at all....any hints? also how the hell do you make the curry?

Maxrunner

oyk38.png

This one. Easy way to check: if you're encountering mini-anubis mobs that drain all your life in 2 seconds in this zone, congratulations! You did enable hard mode.

Alternatively, save and check the tablet. It's reading it twice that triggers the change, comes with skull ghosts sfx and the "triggered trap" horn chime. Exit and reload.

...because all of you guys found the horn that plays a sound when you finish a puzzle or trigger a trap, right? It's on the surface area.

does this affect bosses too?

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
does this affect bosses too?

I reckon they can get additional attack patterns and more HP, yes. If you aren't getting raped by forcefield anubis enemies in the area you didn't trigger it tho.

The second boss is always hard until you learn the patterns. Here's what you need to know:

- Disregard the platform on the first phase. It's useless. Don't use shurikens either.

- He has fixed two angles to fire the arm at. The shorter one is very easy to climb from, skip the longer shot if you cannot get the timing right.

- You can run through his legs when he stops. In fact, since fists and energy balls won't go lower than a certain angle and the chain will block falling rocks, staying close to him is pretty safe.

- Use the whip. As it can hit targets above your head, spam it while you jump up the chain to protect yourself from rocks. Memorize from where you can reach the face, jump+attack to get two strikes in and immediately jump away. Timing is everything here.

- The second phase is actually pretty easy. Bait the rocket fist out of the way then climb up and use all of the shurikens you have saved up, followed by some more whipping if it's still alive. He will go down fairly fast.

Maxrunner

I reckon they can get additional attack patterns and more HP, yes. If you aren't getting raped by forcefield anubis enemies in the area you didn't trigger it tho.

The second boss is always hard until you learn the patterns. Here's what you need to know:

- Disregard the platform on the first phase. It's useless. Don't use shurikens either.

- He has fixed two angles to fire the arm at. The shorter one is very easy to climb from, skip the longer shot if you cannot get the timing right.

- You can run through his legs when he stops. In fact, since fists and energy balls won't go lower than a certain angle and the chain will block falling rocks, staying close to him is pretty safe.

- Use the whip. As it can hit targets above your head, spam it while you jump up the chain to protect yourself from rocks. Memorize from where you can reach the face, jump+attack to get two strikes in and immediately jump away. Timing is everything here.

- The second phase is actually pretty easy. Bait the rocket fist out of the way then climb up and use all of the shurikens you have saved up, followed by some more whipping if it's still alive. He will go down fairly fast.

Sorry to ask but what are anubis?those flying blue egyptian dogs or something? if yes then yeah they appear now in many places.....
Also, i have managed to reach the second phase, but by the time i reach it i have 15hp at max.....and it takes 20 hits to reach the second phase, i've counted them. Does it mean that hard mode might take more hits to bring bosses down?

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
Sorry to ask but what are anubis?those flying blue egyptian dogs or something? if yes then yeah they appear now in many places.....

Yep, you're screwed. Better start looking for an earlier save or just restart.

To be honest, knowing exactly what to do you can get back to this point of the game in an hour or less. And it'll be easier now that you don't have to deal with high level mobs on early areas :p

Oh, additionally: save often in several slots. There's a couple irreversible* puzzles that'd net you optional but incredibly useful weapon upgrades and get all of the HP upgrades before defeating the eight main bosses.

*You can reset them at the very end of the game but by then the items will be pointless.

So it seems the trick is to get all these orbs that upgrade the life meter before attempting to defeat the main bosses. Also regarding the pc version is it approved in greenlight?

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
So it seems the trick is to get all these orbs that upgrade the life meter before attempting to defeat the main bosses.

Not exactly, just before defeating the last of them. Only after all eight are dead there will be inaccessible chests. So, gather everything prior.

Though killing the
water dragon
sub-boss before picking the nearby upgrade will make that one pretty much impossible to reach too.

Is this the same version that is in playism???seems cheaper here.

Yes, it's 33% off until Thursday on GoG.

Not exactly, just before defeating the last of them. Only after all eight are dead there will be inaccessible chests. So, gather everything prior.

Though killing the
water dragon
sub-boss before picking the nearby upgrade will make that one pretty much impossible to reach too.

Yes, it's 33% off until Thursday on GoG.

Yeah the
water dragon
sub-boss is the one that shoots arrows or something???didnt manage to hit him once.....by the time i got there i was in pretty bad shape.

How does GOG work? do i just get a link to download the game?

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
Yeah the
water dragon
sub-boss is the one that shoots arrows or something???didnt manage to hit him once.....by the time i got there i was in pretty bad shape.
It's a flying sub-boss that shoots geysers located in the area where the final guardian lies, near the end of the game. Have to ride those geyser attacks to reach the room with the orb above.

Here's a picture.

How does GOG work? do i just get a link to download the game?

Yes, you get an installer file that you can use as many times as you want (no DRM, I believe). If you lose the file you can redownload it at any time from your purchase list.

It's a flying sub-boss that shoots geysers located in the area where the final guardian lies, near the end of the game. Have to ride those geyser attacks to reach the room with the orb above.

Here's a picture.

Yes, you get an installer file that you can use as many times as you want (no DRM, I believe). If you lose the file you can redownload it at any time from your purchase list.

IS it worth buying it again on pc?i already have it on the wii, but i dont really understand what are the gains besides the better sound?

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
There's an optional segment not present in the Wiiware version, but isn't worth double dipping for. Don't worry - it's unrelated to the story, you won't miss out on anything "proper" with the Wii version.

Newcomers should preferably invest on the PC port, though.

Jarsonot

3 hours in, taking notes on every room now. Have very little idea what I'm suppose to be doing, but exploring is slowly paying off. Loving the game so far.

Davey Cakes

Started my old save, now caught up and then some. This game gets addictive once you successfully make consistent discoveries.

Chuckpebble

So I think this game officially has the widest variety of control options for any Wii game to date:

Wiimote
Wiimote & Nunchuck
Classic Controller
Gamecube Controller
Keyboard

Also, had to chuckle at the dialog in the beginning that made me think of Jonathan Blow.

hunnies28

Is it bad if I used an area's Ankh in another area?

I' m stuck again but I'll try to figure this one out!
I have no idea what to do next

I am interested in this game, but worried about it being super obtuse and impossible to progress though without constantly referencing a FAQ. Are my fears overblown and it's doable, or is it as rough as I fear it might be?

Davey Cakes

I'm one major boss into the game and so far it's very obtuse but I haven't needed to look at a FAQ yet. I did need to post in this thread inquiring about hard mode though.

Seems like determination, attention to detail , and actual desire to uncover the world are key factors in the enjoyment of this game. That said, there's also an aspect of aimless wandering when the game isn't clear on what you've opened up by pressing a switch or solving a puzzle.

If you're an instant gratification kind of guy, I'm not sure if La-Mulana is a good fit. At least, that's what I think after playing for a few hours and beating only one ankh boss.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
When stuck on a puzzle, skip it and keep exploring. La Mulana encourages this behaviour by putting hints or solutions three whole areas across the game from the actual puzzle. It is obtuse and there's nothing wrong with checking the wiki after you've gone everywhere twice and still cannot progress.

That being said, only 2 specific areas will get close to requiring a guide. You'll know which ones when you arrive, trust me.

Is it bad if I used an area's Ankh in another area?

No, as long as you keep track to avoid fruitless searches later on. There's only one ankh jewel per area.

gururoji

Just to warn everyone, it seems as if there's a way to get yourself permanently stuck in the WiiWare version. I'm going to spoiler tag it since it involves an area that isn't available for a little while...

In Graveyard of the Giants, in the room with two large Ice Blocks, you can drop them in two different orders. If you drop them in the order that allows you to access the ladder in the screen below it by climbing the two fallen blocks, then you are able to access the save tablet. However, if you drop the upper ice block first, you block the way to the save tablet and can never get to it again. I gather that later in the game you need to have been to every save tablet, so this essentially is a game breaking issue.

This is not an issue in the PC version...but to fully describe it I have to spoil an item so I'm putting it in a separate block:

In the PC version, the secret passage to the save spot is at the top of the ladder, not in the middle part of the screen that gets blocked...that way whichever path you don't get early on you can get to once you have the Feather.

I've emailed Nigoro on the off chance that they might patch it...if other people have this bug, or are just willing to fight for those of us who do, email them or tweet at them. I hope I don't have to start over completely...I like the game enough that I'd probably still have fun, but I've probably dumped 20 hours into this and am not sure if I can follow through all the way having to start over.

gururoji

I hope that the Wiiware version gets patched, but it's unlikely I guess.

Meanwhile I'm still stuck :(

Where are you stuck? I could probably give you some non-spoilery hints or suggestions. I wish there were a better resource for that for this game, as the couple of times I went looking at guides I saw more other stuff than I wanted to.

n-off

Just to warn everyone, it seems as if there's a way to get yourself permanently stuck in the WiiWare version. I'm going to spoiler tag it since it involves an area that isn't available for a little while...

In Graveyard of the Giants, in the room with two large Ice Blocks, you can drop them in two different orders. If you drop them in the order that allows you to access the ladder in the screen below it by climbing the two fallen blocks, then you are able to access the save tablet. However, if you drop the upper ice block first, you block the way to the save tablet and can never get to it again. I gather that later in the game you need to have been to every save tablet, so this essentially is a game breaking issue.

This is not an issue in the PC version...but to fully describe it I have to spoil an item so I'm putting it in a separate block:

In the PC version, the secret passage to the save spot is at the top of the ladder, not in the middle part of the screen that gets blocked...that way whichever path you don't get early on you can get to once you have the Feather.

I've emailed Nigoro on the off chance that they might patch it...if other people have this bug, or are just willing to fight for those of us who do, email them or tweet at them. I hope I don't have to start over completely...I like the game enough that I'd probably still have fun, but I've probably dumped 20 hours into this and am not sure if I can follow through all the way having to start over.

did you try bringing a key fairy to this room? they can reset some of the puzzles, but not all.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I want this game so bad, but I don't have a Wii so I will settle for the PC version.

hunnies28

Where are you stuck? I could probably give you some non-spoilery hints or suggestions. I wish there were a better resource for that for this game, as the couple of times I went looking at guides I saw more other stuff than I wanted to.

Well, the only areas left for me to explore are the Twin Labyrinth (from Inferno) but I haven't made any progress there since I can't defeat the guardian.

Also, I can reach that dark area but I can't see nothing so I'm guessing that's not where I'm suppossed to go.

I have defeated the Guidance gate boss, the Sakit boss. I have the jewels for the spring and Sun temple bosses but I can't defeat them.

I have two seals.

There's also a hole in a wall in Inferno Cavern that I can't reach.

Jarsonot

I just got my 2nd seal. Can fight the Spring guardian and the Sun temple Guardian but can't beat them... Can fight the mausoleum guardian and feel I maybe have a chance against him, but can't beat him.

I have the waterproof & fireproof case, helmet, glove, scale sphere, Hermes boots, holy grail.

I'm totally clueless as to what to do, other than roam around and see if anything has changed, or keep wailing on the bosses and see if I get lucky. =)

Top Bottom