• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La Mulana: Wiiware Edition |OT| An adventure years in the making

gururoji

I can easily give you some pointers to things that would help you but I'm not sure how spoilery to be...PM me if you want. I'll throw a few things out there that aren't too bad.

You can definitely do at least one thing in the dark area. Depending on how adventurous you are, there's more you can do.

There's something in the inferno area that will help you with the dark area (though be careful with it)...but it's hidden pretty well. Look around and see if you see anything weird.

There's another temple you can get to from the Temple of the Sun, not sure if you've visited it yet. It sounds to me like there's probably 2 items you haven't gotten there yet that you could.

There's also a weapon somewhere that'd help massively with the bosses that you're able to get right now that you probably wouldn't find on your own until you have a certain resource a good deal later.

I found the Temple of the Sun boss to be pretty doable after some practice. Might depend on how many life upgrades you've hit so far though. Depending on if you have a certain item, beating that boss and putting that item to use could lead you to a new area that you can do a few things in.

Also if you've beaten Sakit, and you have the same item I mentioned in the last paragraph, you are able to get to the area where you can cause yourself to be permanently stuck. Make a save in a different slot before you go into
Graveyard of the Giants
...and you may want to research the bit about the
Two Ice Blocks on the wiki for the remake
. Or just
Make sure you drop the lower ice block first

Gaf should assemble and do amassive vote on greenlight :(

I want it on steam :(

Buy it on GOG. i bought split with a friend...
But im currently playing on the wii...i finally beat the mausoleum guardian boss. it's much easier compared to hard mode. People really need to know this. Hard mode is really hard....

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
>This is the bugged area with the ice blocks mentioned<
In the PC version the invisible wall was been moved so it's not a concern, but on the Wii you gotta drop the lower one first.

Now as for getting stuck, I will echo guru's tips:

- Search thoroughly the insides of the Pyramid in Temple of the Sun (spoiler:
hit the sun
) to find an entrance to the other side (
Moonlight
). In this area you can find right away a weapon that's very useful against the Spring boss and a treasure that'll let you reach the hole in Inferno.

- Acquire the item in Inferno and head back to Temple to reach the dark place, but notice there's a puzzle where the area entrance is. Within the first two screens of the dark area you should be able to trigger this puzzle and get the
Mirror
. Protip:
some blocks can only be broken if you hit them from a specific side.

- This new item will essentially double your exploration options. After you've defeated the boss of an area, search for newly spawned gates all over the world. Mausoleum is an excellent place to start.

Be aware that defeating the bosses you have available is required to progress, as entrances won't appear otherwise. Taking them down becomes easier with the new items you can now find.

Can fight the mausoleum guardian and feel I maybe have a chance against him, but can't beat him.

You most definitely can defeat him (provided you aren't accidentally on hard mode, heh). Learn his patterns and how to use them to your advantage!

Jarsonot

Appreciate the tips, will probably not have time to jump back in until tomorrow, but I do really, really like this game.

Even not knowing what to do and just wandering around has been pretty rewarding so far.

I also just discovered NeoGAF dark mobile theme. What was I doing with my life?

gururoji

Is there a limit to the areas you can warp to? I'm sure I scanned the tablet at temple of moonlight but I can't warp to it

There is, I believe the elder Xelpud tells you that in person or in an email (either that or it might be in the manual. However,
there's a piece of software you can find later that lets you warp to those. That stuff will make more sense when you understand what the Temple of the Moonlight area truly is.

As for this game breaking stuckness, I got an email back from NIGORO claiming that there's a way around it and offering a few hints:

Thank you for playing La-Mulana.
About your inquiry, it's not a bug.

You can find another way.

These are two little hints.

*There is a wall that you can break by a sub weapon in Graveyard of the
Giants.
*You must look the map of Graveyard of the Giants carefully.

Does anyone know what that refers to? I have almost all of the
sub weapons
, I think I'm just missing the one that looks like
a lint roller

The email goes on to say that this puzzle bothered Japanese players and suggests two kanji compounds for me to put into Google, but the computer I'm on doesn't have Japanese language support at the moment, so I can't paste them here yet.

The funny thing about this is that last night I decided to buy the PC version...and in less than 3 hours on the gameplay clock (probably about 5 hours in real life), I'm pretty much back to where I was with almost 14 hours on the clock in the WiiWare mode (which was easily in the 16-20 hour range real-time). It's amazing how quick you can plow through both puzzles and bosses in this game once you know what you're doing. I think I'm only missing
one life crystal from somewhere and the newest laptop which I just don't have the money for yet
relative to where I was.

I'll probably end up continuing on the PC, there's a lot of small touches that make me prefer it. But to answer Darkmakaimura, I don't think the versions are too different actually. The PC version has some extra area and Time Attack mode for that area, and the solution to that "game breaking" puzzle was changed so as to not frustrate people as much, but it sounds like there's a way to not be stuck in the WiiWare version if I can find what it is. Anyway, Darkmakaimura, if anything the PC version is better so you won't be settling so to speak.

Oh, and one last thing for this epic post: n-off, before I started my PC re-do, I sat down and tried for about an hour to get a key fairy but couldn't get one to come. I don't have the
software combo that let's you get them everytime
and I didn't want to spoil myself on how to get that, so I gave up on that solution for the moment. I'll try it again once I know where that is so I can find out for the sake of everyone else's playthroughs.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
Is there a limit to the areas you can warp to? I'm sure I scanned the tablet at temple of moonlight but I can't warp to it

Answered a couple times in the thread - Find Mirai.exe, located somewhere in the
Graveyard

I figured there's no real need to spoiler tag the software name, seeing how it's a very important tool yet completely optional and the game never tells you what it does, along with the other Nigoro flash game references.

Seriously, I had that thing in my inventory for hours of manual backtracking until I found out there were more locations in the Grail menu by pure accident.

Does anyone know what that refers to? I have almost all of the
sub weapons
, I think I'm just missing the one that looks like
a lint roller

The Graveyard
is a well connected area with many entrances. Later in the game you'll enter through another side and reach a previously inaccessible section of the map (IIRC it's the rightmost areas), where you'll find the subweapon you mention:
Bombs, old WWII styled hand grenades, hence the icon

This subweapon can be used to
tear away a wall and fully open the Graveyard
, but I'm not sure it lets you reach the section with the Grail Warp...

gururoji

This subweapon can be used to
tear away a wall and fully open the Graveyard
, but I'm not sure it lets you reach the section with the Grail Warp...

Turns out I think it does! There's a floor that clinks if you hit it with other weapons in the very lower right of the elevator shaft screen (don't have the room name in front of me). I've seen a report that using the subweapon you mentioned will open that floor and will drop you in by the grail tablet. I've yet to confirm it, but based on everything I've heard I think that's the deal.

No more getting stuck there! Hope that helps people out!

To anyone who downvoted this with extreme prejudice, yet voted for, say, Postal 2: you suck. Nothing against Postal 2, but did that really need the Greenlight?

hunnies28

Making great progress. Double jumping seem like increasing my explorin options by a ton. It's been a while since I felt I have many unknow places left to explore.

gururoji

I'm the most stuck that I've been in the entire game. There's a ton of things I've seen that I know I should do something with but can't figure out what. If any one can provide me with hints on where to go based on my descriptions, I'd be super thankful. I feel like at this point I'm either supposed to fight a certain boss (I've killed 4) or go to an area that I don't know how to (there's at least 2 that I know exist that I've never been to). I'm gonna spoiler it all just to be safe.

I've beaten bosses in Gate of Guidance, Temple of the Sun, Spring in the Sky, and Mausoleum of Giants. I have no other jewels beyond that. I have all the main weapons and am only missing one subweapon (bombs?). Here's where I'm at in other areas:

Endless Corridor: I've been through the whole thing (I solved the numbers puzzle without knowing what they all are...not sure how you're supposed to figure out the ones that aren't on the seals) and through to the Shrine of the Mother. No idea about an jewel or ankh here, or how to get to the backside of this.

Inferno Cavern: I've seen a drawing that suggests there's other parts to go to here, but they seem like you need to come in from other areas. Looks like the jewel is in the other part (or the backside) no idea where the ankh would be.

Twin Labyrinths: Pretty sure the Ankh should be in one of the Demon Altar rooms. Saw a hint about black and white witches, killed a black witch in one of the Demon Altar rooms. Dunno where I'd get the jewel. There's a high up door in a room that says you'll be punished if you don't solve the puzzle...pretty sure I need something to destroy the wall that clanks when I hit it but won't break (need bombs?).

Chamber of Extinction: I can't read the big mural, I thought the Snapshot software would do something here but it doesn't. Can't figure out how to get to the other two parts of the map.

Temple of the Sun: I assume that I can move or kill the fire breathing snake to get into the room with lots of tablets, but I have no idea how.

Nothing left for me to do as far as I know in Spring, Gate of Guidance, Mausoleum. I think maybe I can flood things more (to raise the Tower?), but I don't know how.

Gate of Illusion: There's a light behind the wall near the save tablet. Don't know what to do with it.

Tower of Ruin: Think I've been everywhere I can here--can't get to the very top or bottom of the map. Found the hidden room with the characters, I bet I could solve this puzzle by cheezing and reloading until I get the right combo, but I wanna solve it for real. I'm guessing this has to do with the "name of the unnamed" but even if I knew what that name was, I don't know what any of these letters/characters are. Also, I don't know what to do with the snapshot software I got here, I tried it a billion places and it doesn't ever find anything.

Graveyard of the Giants: Seems like I need to come in to the right side of the map from somewhere.

Temple of Moonlight: can't figure out how to get into the "womb" to get that chest. Think I've done everything else I can (Philosophers are all silent, I figure that comes later)

Shrine of the Mother: I need the 4th seal...and it also just seems like I need to beat all the bosses first.

I don't know how to get to the Chamber of Birth or Tower of the Goddess...I really want to as I think they might connect a lot of the places in the backside I can't get to.

Also, should I be able to do anything with the compass/cross things? I see them on the enhanced map software and read hints that seem to indicate they help you go between backside and frontside...

Thanks for any help folks. Just need a bit of gentle guidance to get rolling again, I wandered around for 2 hours last night and made no progress.

hunnies28

You seem to be ahead of me but I'll can help you a bit (I hope).

Twin Labitrynths: (I'm spoiling this since I'm not good at giving subtle hints)
You can get the Ankh to appear (don't know if you already did this since you seem to be looking for the Jewel) by not killing the black witch and heading to the other room with four witches.

That's it , sorry for not beign that helpful but I think I'm the one behind all of you guys. Maybe you can give me hints. I just got the spear.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
Endless Corridor: I've been through the whole thing (I solved the numbers puzzle without knowing what they all are...not sure how you're supposed to figure out the ones that aren't on the seals) and through to the Shrine of the Mother. No idea about an jewel or ankh here, or how to get to the backside of this.
The numbers in La-Mulanese correspond to the areas you've been visiting. Check the little gylph next to a ladder or door - the Grail will provide their order (ie: Guidance Gate symbol = 1, Mausoleum symbol = 2).

THIS FACT IS RELEVANT. TAKE NOTES.

Tower of Ruin: Think I've been everywhere I can here--can't get to the very top or bottom of the map. Found the hidden room with the characters, I bet I could solve this puzzle by cheezing and reloading until I get the right combo, but I wanna solve it for real. I'm guessing this has to do with the "name of the unnamed" but even if I knew what that name was, I don't know what any of these letters/characters are. Also, I don't know what to do with the snapshot software I got here, I tried it a billion places and it doesn't ever find anything.

This area is what you want to complete after defeating 4 bosses.

First of all, to get to the very bottom,
Red Gargoyle prop

Secondly, the puzzle you mention was made harder for no reason in the remake because the characters are now in La-Mulanese. Translated, they'd be:

X U
M A
Y S

Can't remember if it's on a tablet somewhere, but the answer is easy if you know your mythological continents (surprisingly relevant for the game, too) OR you're japanese in which case the answer is literally right in the text you quoted - it's a lost in translation thing.

Once you've killed the 5th Guardian, a door to a new area will spawn somewhere in the
Surface

Also, should I be able to do anything with the compass/cross things? I see them on the enhanced map software and read hints that seem to indicate they help you go between backside and frontside...

Endgame puzzle component, disregard until all Guardians are defeated.

Oh, and as far as the Snapshot function goes, you've got the right idea but it's not the right time.

gururoji

The numbers in La-Mulanese correspond to the areas you've been visiting. Check the little gylph next to a ladder or door - the Grail will provide their order (ie: Guidance Gate symbol = 1, Mausoleum symbol = 2).

THIS FACT IS RELEVANT. TAKE NOTES.

Ahhh, I knew those were numbers as I lined them up with the characters on the seals, indicating that Gate of Guidance / Illusion was first and I think Mausoleum / Graveyard 2nd and Temple of the Sun/Moon 3rd, which made sense. I didn't think about the Grail providing the order, that's super helpful, thanks! Is there a tablet that hints at that aspect somewhere?

Dobkeratops said:
This area is what you want to complete after defeating 4 bosses.

First of all, to get to the very bottom,
Red Gargoyle prop

Secondly, the puzzle you mention was made harder for no reason in the remake because the characters are now in La-Mulanese. Translated, they'd be:

X U
M A
Y S

Can't remember if it's on a tablet somewhere, but the answer is easy if you know your mythological continents (surprisingly relevant for the game, too) OR you're japanese in which case the answer is literally right in the text you quoted - it's a lost in translation thing.

Awesome--I actually re-found the tablet in the Graveyard last night that said
Mu is the nameless one
, and decided to try turning off the glyph reader software, and sure enough the first two characters got me the solution to that puzzle, so that was cool. Guess we're lucky that La Mulanese seems to have a 1-to-1 ratio with English letters and keeps English word order and reading direction!

Thanks big time for the gargoyle tip. I feel like a dumbass for not seeing the line connecting that to the block that wouldn't let me advance.

Dobkeratops said:
Once you've killed the 5th Guardian, a door to a new area will spawn somewhere in the
Surface

Dunno how long it would have taken me to find that. That's the one thing that bothers me about this game sometimes is lack of any indication that something in another area will change upon beating a boss. I noticed that the Snake statue I mentioned in the Temple of the Sun
crumbled after beating the Inferno boss
...at least there was a loud noise in the screen before to help with that, but still, kinda arbitrary if you ask me. Why not have a tablet somewhere hinting at that? Maybe there is and I haven't seen it, that's often the case.

Dobkeratops said:
Endgame puzzle component, disregard until all Guardians are defeated.

Oh, and as far as the Snapshot function goes, you've got the right idea but it's not the right time.

Again, thanks for that, great to know.

hunnies28 said:
That's it , sorry for not beign that helpful but I think I'm the one behind all of you guys. Maybe you can give me hints. I just got the spear.

No, that's great, I think it would have taken me a long time to figure that out. I got the ankh to appear, now just need to find a jewel for it.

The spear is actually useful to do one of the things I solved last night and mentioned in this post. There's sort of a clue for ya. Let me know which bosses you've killed and which areas you've been to and I can probably give some guidance.

gururoji

I finished the original when they announced the remake (like 3 years ago)... are the changes really worth a replay?

Hard to say, since I haven't played the original, but based on seeing footage from it, and hearing about some of the changes...well, I'd say it depends on how you feel about the game! If you really enjoyed it, I'd say it is. When I thought I was stuck in the Wii version and bought the PC one and started over, I had a blast barreling through in a much shorter time. I think that bodes well for the game's replayability.

KDR_11k

I got myself pretty much stuck too. The loose threads I can recognize currently:
Gate of Guidance:
can't find the red light.
Sun Temple:
No idea about that winged double headed snake statue that's blocking my way
Twin Labyrinths: Just cannot beat the miniboss called Zu. Absolutely no clue on what to do there, he seems practically impossible. When he stuns me it seems pretty much impossible to avoid damage.
Spring: Ankh but no key since I used the key on another Ankh.

I got:
Chain whip, Knife
Shuriken, Rolling, Flare, Caltrop, Revolver, Buckler
Scanner
Water and Lava cases, Shell Horn, Pushing Glove,
Grail, Necklace of Isis, Helmet, Grappling Claw,
Scalesphere, Hermes Boots, Ice Cape,
Seals 1 and 2

and I killed the bosses of
Gate of Guidance, Mausoleum of Giants, Sun Temple

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
Is there a tablet that hints at that aspect somewhere?

There are direct references to numbers, and if you've paid attention to the symbols you kinda figure it out.

I'm not kidding when I say you'll want them noted, there's other places besides the Corridor puzzle you did where recognizing the symbols will be fundamental.

Dunno how long it would have taken me to find that. That's the one thing that bothers me about this game sometimes is lack of any indication that something in another area will change upon beating a boss. I noticed that the Snake statue I mentioned in the Temple of the Sun
crumbled after beating the Inferno boss
...at least there was a loud noise in the screen before to help with that, but still, kinda arbitrary if you ask me. Why not have a tablet somewhere hinting at that? Maybe there is and I haven't seen it, that's often the case.

Found an item where the statue was? If so you missed a little something going on. Try coming down from the cork room and see if it plays.

I finished the original when they announced the remake (like 3 years ago)... are the changes really worth a replay?

Completely overhauled graphics, puzzles changed, a couple new sidequests, treasure system replacing ROMs, better controls, revamped bosses + a couple extra confrontations, hard mode and a separate time attack.

It was enough reason to replay it as far as I'm concerned and GR3/Nigoro were long overdue for some monetary gratification.

Spring: Ankh but no key since I used the key on another Ankh.

Locate the key you didn't in the areas whose bosses you've beaten. If you know which one it is I can point you in its general direction. Spring boss will unlock new zones when killed.

Disregard Zu for now, come back after you're better equipped.

I got:
Chain whip, Knife
Shuriken, Rolling, Flare, Caltrop, Revolver, Buckler
Scanner
Water and Lava cases, Shell Horn, Pushing Glove,
Grail, Necklace of Isis, Helmet, Grappling Claw,
Scalesphere, Hermes Boots, Ice Cape,
Seals 1 and 2

On that note, search through the outside of the Moonlight pyramid to locate a new weapon and start the
Anubis
sidequest. Said sidequest will net you the second best item in the game and collateral benefits.

KDR_11k

Locate the key you didn't in the areas whose bosses you've beaten. If you know which one it is I can point you in its general direction. Spring boss will unlock new zones when killed.

It's the one in the Gate of Guidance. EDIT: Got it, didn't realize I had to hit each tablet until it breaks, could have sworn I got zapped when hitting it more than once in previous attempts.

I'll check the Pyramid then. I've only treated it as a way to get to the Labyrinth but if I don't have to beat Zu yet I'll avoid him for now.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
What's the best way to beat the boss at sun temple? I am trying with Shuriken and he still destroys me, also have one bullet which I use on him as soon as the fight starts.

KDR_11k

Whip him into submission. His face is level with the track sometimes, use that to sit in front of him and hammer away. Yeah, you'll take hits yourself but at 160 HP with the chain whip I killed him before he killed me.

n-off

Oh, and one last thing for this epic post: n-off, before I started my PC re-do, I sat down and tried for about an hour to get a key fairy but couldn't get one to come. I don't have the
software combo that let's you get them everytime
and I didn't want to spoil myself on how to get that, so I gave up on that solution for the moment. I'll try it again once I know where that is so I can find out for the sake of everyone else's playthroughs.

An easy way to get a specific fairy is to watch the symbols that appear when activating it. Each kind has its own pattern. If you exit the room quick enough before the fairy appears you can reenter and give it another try.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Whip him into submission. His face is level with the track sometimes, use that to sit in front of him and hammer away. Yeah, you'll take hits yourself but at 160 HP with the chain whip I killed him before he killed me.

I don't have the chain whip and I only have 96 hp.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
I don't have the chain whip and I only have 96 hp.

Grab the knife and go to town (Sun Temple boss spoiler, obviously). The most dangerous element for this battle isn't the actual boss but the goddamn "arena".

Fun fact before the bossfight:
if he lands on you when he jumps from the background during his intro, you're dead.

Fun fact after the bossfight:
you will die of poisoning when the clock times out. Teleport away and save immediately.

This game!

KDR_11k

Fun fact before the bossfight:
if he lands on you when he jumps from the background during his intro, you're dead.

Yeah, that's one of those "was that really necessary?" moments that La Mulana has in spades. Dying then doesn't really mean anything because you've played maybe 30 seconds since the last save point, it just wastes your time.

Fun fact after the bossfight:
you will die of poisoning when the clock times out. Teleport away and save immediately.

I believe you get a mail telling you that. It's pretty clear that you have to get away but I was kinda expecting a Descent-style escape sequence. Kinda anticlimactic that you can just teleport away...

EDIT: When walls ping when hit, does that mean I need explosives?

Eric_S

What's the best way to beat the boss at sun temple? I am trying with Shuriken and he still destroys me, also have one bullet which I use on him as soon as the fight starts.

Use Flairs to hit him from below (watch out for his lunges!), then camp out at the far end and hit him with shurikens or the revolver. Note that he's invincible while doing his fire ball attack. If those run dry, run up to him with the cart when the track is level with his head in order to whup him with your weapon of choice, which is probably the knife at this point in the game.

gururoji

EDIT: When walls ping when hit, does that mean I need explosives?

Some of them at least. If I remember correctly, it's a different noise than the one you get when hitting a statue (which makes them start shooting at you and whatnot), and different from the crunch you get when it's a breakable wall. If you were just at the Temple of the Sun boss, I'm curious what place you would have found making that noise...?

I'm so completely stuck in the Chamber of Birth. I can come in from two angles, and have made at least one thing happen (
lighting Chamber of Extinction
) and have noticed some interesting things I can maybe interact with, but hell if I can make anything of worth happen at this point. Any tips folks?

EDIT: I found some new stuff to do in Gate of Illusion...3 new puzzles, solved the first two, leaving me with the Children's Room...can't figure that part out...wondering if I'm missing the treasure that is "weak but unbending"...

KDR_11k

I'm long past that boss. Lately the game has been like pulling teeth or hitting my head against the wall, progress is rare and often seemingly meaningless. I managed to beat Zu but only got a life extension for it, I got the third seal but only got some combat power boosts for it, I finally figured out how to activate the twin statues (you have to aim for the eyes) but got nothing but the "puzzle solved" jingle for it (no idea if that did something in an area I cannot reach yet or if there's another step to that or whatever), etc. Even these tiny steps were fairly spaced out.

hunnies28

I'm long past that boss. Lately the game has been like pulling teeth or hitting my head against the wall, progress is rare and often seemingly meaningless. I managed to beat Zu but only got a life extension for it, I got the third seal but only got some combat power boosts for it, I finally figured out how to activate the twin statues (you have to aim for the eyes) but got nothing but the "puzzle solved" jingle for it (no idea if that did something in an area I cannot reach yet or if there's another step to that or whatever), etc. Even these tiny steps were fairly spaced out.

Where are you exactly ? I believe you need to defeat the spring boss.

There's a weapon in Inferno Cavern that will help you a lot with said boss.
Also with breakable stuff
I think you need another item to make real progress in the twin labyrinths.

gururoji

I've been there as far as pulling teeth goes...this game can really be tough love sometimes, if not a complete bitch. That's why I think talking to other people really helps, it's definitely making my experience with the game better. But how stuck you are may mean you're missing a large swath of places you could be making progress. I think you're probably focusing on the Twin Labyrinths too much. The game is pretty darn open and non-linear, and once I got the
Helmet
from the Twin Labs very early in the game, I saw them as some awesome resource for advanced items. Which they can be, get as much as you can from them. That life extension will be handy. But don't try to complete them yet--if I understand things correctly, that's essentially the 7th area. It doesn't sound like you've spent a lot of time
on the backside
yet, where there's a lot to be gained. Beating the bosses of the
Spring and Inferno
will open up some stuff for you.

Also, how many seals do you have? And do you have
Roc's Feather
yet? Perhaps more importantly, have you solved the puzzle with "Eden" yet?

Oh, and if you don't have the jewel for the spring, have you been in the lower part of the map below the save point? There's likely at least one thing to do around there that you may not have yet.

hunnies28

is this an adventure kind of game? how is it? serious question :)

It's an exploring action platformer. Think a Metroidvania with a higher difficulty.

Exploring and note taking is a must in this game. Clear hints will be few and you'll have to rely on keen observation to advance.

You will get stuck.

Is it hard? Yes, but only because the game won't be handholding you, and you do get a real sense of acomplishment when you manage to solve puzzles!

roddur

It's an exploring action platformer. Think a Metroidvania with a higher difficulty.

Exploring and note taking is a must in this game. Clear hints will be few and you'll have to rely on keen observation to advance.

You will get stuck.

Is it hard? Yes, but only because the game won't be handholding you, and you do get a real sense of acomplishment when you manage to solve puzzles!

thanx. haven't bought anything for wiiwware quite sometime. exploration, i really like. leaning towards it :)

KDR_11k

I've smashed Bahamut's face in long ago, the axe was the key item to use there because it lets you take much shallower jumps and still hit him. I think you could theoretically get the axe immediately after reaching the Sun Temple if you know where to look. The whip just doesn't have enough vertical reach, you have to take some rather dangerous jumps to hurt Bahamut.

One issue I have with puzzles + Metroidvania is that you can never be sure whether you are doing it wrong or whether you just need another item.

I haven't seen much of the Backside, I got the warp software and the points in the Labs, Graveyard and Temple but the only two areas I can reach from there are the Tower of Ruin which looks like I can't do anything there yet and a Maridia Tube between the Graveyard and Temple and I don't have power bombs. I have seen tablets talk about Eden but nothing that looked like matching puzzles that I could attempt. When I feel stuck it's because I cannot identify any puzzles as solvable. EDIT: Already found a new thread to pull on, the metal bird in the Tower was vulnerable from the start and easy to kill, the tablet sounded like I had to solve a puzzle for him.

Not important for the progression but doesn't the claw feel rather useless?
The only thing I needed it for was reaching Pazuzu. Since diagonal jumps into walls cancel your horizontal momentum and put you into vertical jump mode you can do the jumps needed in the Moon Temple without using the claws at all.

hunnies28

I haven't seen much of the Backside, I got the warp software and the points in the Labs, Graveyard and Temple but the only two areas I can reach from there are the Tower of Ruin which looks like I can't do anything there yet and a Maridia Tube between the Graveyard and Temple and I don't have power bombs. I have seen tablets talk about Eden
If you already have the warp point in moonlight temple I think you can reach eden. Use your scanner!

KDR_11k

Well, right now I'm raging about how much of an asshole the Inferno boss is. Is there any way except sheer luck (that he pops up when a platform is undamaged and no fireball goes your way) to hit him without being hit? I have not encountered a single boss that was enjoyable to fight, they always seem designed specifically to negate your strengths by staying out of range and having hitboxes deeply buried inside their damage areas.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
I'm so completely stuck in the Chamber of Birth.

Welcome to bullshit puzzle central #2. The key to progress in that area is to use certain key items at certain places (look for clues on the backdrops) and a lot of patience to backtrack all the way when you fuck up. Obviously you gotta have those key items first.

I found some new stuff to do in Gate of Illusion...3 new puzzles, solved the first two, leaving me with the Children's Room...can't figure that part out...wondering if I'm missing the treasure that is "weak but unbending"...

That's bullshit section #1, the place where puzzle answers are unintuitive things you'd never guess like
pressing down to phase through the floor

At least it has good atmosphere/music.

Well, right now I'm raging about how much of an asshole the Inferno boss is. Is there any way except sheer luck (that he pops up when a platform is undamaged and no fireball goes your way) to hit him without being hit? I have not encountered a single boss that was enjoyable to fight, they always seem designed specifically to negate your strengths by staying out of range and having hitboxes deeply buried inside their damage areas.

Most bosses are fun and doable once you get their patterns down. But that one? That one was an asshole in the original and remains so in the remake.

Combine
randc.exe + mekuri.exe
for a damage boost. Use the axe when possible and rolling shurikens constantly to keep the hurt piling up.

If you have dealt enough and fall you may be able to outdamage him before dying using your invincibility frames. Touching a boss will often take away considerably more HPs than their attacks, though, so you'd have a short window.

Not important for the progression but doesn't the claw feel rather useless?

New controls render it mostly useless for navigation (in the original it was required AND the controls sucked hard) but it's a neat moveset addition and -required- for one of these lovely unintuitive bullshit obstacles mentioned.

KDR_11k

Its weak point is so far away from the platforms, can you really use rolling shurikens on it?

I don't have randc.exe.

EDIT: Bashed its face in anyway, got lucky and had it expose its weak point in a very accessible spot twice. EAT GAUNTLET AXE!

hunnies28

Its weak point is so far away from the platforms, can you really use rolling shurikens on it?

I don't have randc.exe.

EDIT: Bashed its face in anyway, got lucky and had it expose its weak point in a very accessible spot twice. EAT GAUNTLET AXE!

I just got to this battle today. And got beaten pretty bad. I will have to wait until I get home from work to try again T __ T

Davey Cakes

I took a break from this game, but now I'm back. Three bosses down. Just got the chain whip, too.

I must have been doing the bosses out of order. Does it go in order by area? Because I beat the Gate of Guidance boss third and it was an absolute breeze. Had way more trouble on the Temple of the Sun and Spring in the Sky bosses.

Maxrunner

I managed to reach the other side area of the mausuleum. Ive 96hp max and ive managed to find the sun temple and water area bosses but i died on both. I also managed to find
the isis pendant and the fairy's help

Davey Cakes

Not having the additional software is definitely getting frustrating. Makes traveling more of a slog. I'm not going to look up where to get it though. I'll suffer so long as I make my own discoveries.

I'm making progress but once again it feels like my leads always dry up. The other day I worked my way through the Chamber of Extinction but wow is it brutal. Now I have the Crucifix but I can't think of any reason why it's useful. What ghost attacks do I need protection from in the first place?

This game's a lot of work. It's really fucking hardcore. If I had kept playing with Hard Mode toggled there's no way I wouldn't have upped and quit at some point.

EDIT: So after spending a lot of time with the game, I finally did get a decent bit further. Found some secret broken walls. Solved a couple of puzzles that I glossed by before. Now I have the axe, the bracelet, and the FEATHER. Fuck yes, double jump! Still hitting some dead ends but it's nice to have my options opened up some more.

This game feels horrible when you're stuck, but AMAZING when you make progress.

Top Bottom