• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lance Armstrong on Doping: 'I Would Probably Do It Again'

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Lance Armstrong said his life has been "brutal" since he admitted to doping during his pro cycling career, but he said he would still use banned performance-enhancing drugs and methods if transported back to his heyday.

"If I was racing in 2015, no I wouldn't do it again because I don't think you have to do it again. If you take me back to 1995, when it was completely and totally pervasive, I would probably do it again. People don’t like to hear that," Armstrong told BBC Sports in his first TV interview since he confessed to doping.

Lance Armstrong Finds New Gig in Cycling, Sort of
In the two years since he came clean on the Oprah Winfrey Show, "The fallout has been heavy, maybe heavier than I thought," Armstrong said. "It was, you know, pretty brutal afterwards. It's been tough."

Armstrong, who was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles in 2012 in the wake of the scandal and banned from professional cycling for life, said his biggest fear was the possibility of facing questions from his kids as they got older.

"You'd have that day when a 13-year-old or a 15-year-old would come home and just be in pieces. 'Dad, I heard this in the hallway' or 'I read this on social media, is this true?'" Armstrong said. "Yeah, that would rock me."

Lance looking much older. Damn.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/lance-armstrong-doping/story?id=28491316

There's a documentary about him coming about after his post cheating life.

The documentary about him that aired on Showtime is fantastic.

I think it's important to realize his comments in the context of which he is speaking. The issue most people who are fans of cycling have, mine included, is not that he doped but how he handled it all. He owes massive apologies to a lot of people.

Sephzilla

It takes some ball to admit that.

2524070-3489177503-2yybk.gif

entremet

I think it's important to realize his comments in the context of which he is speaking. The issue most people who are fans of cycling have, mine included, is not that he doped but how he handled it all. He owes massive apologies to a lot of people.

I'm personally not against PEDs, especially went its so pervasive in some sports like cycling.

But yes the bullying and strong-arming is what gets Lance his hate.

Blader

I care less about the doping and more about how he destroyed people for accusing him of doping, which he's still pretty unapologetic for.

nilbog21

Banned

this dude is just NUTS mentally. Just watch the Armstrong Lie. He claims he didn't cheat when during his comeback when he got 3rd, but he very clearly tested POSITIVE. He was convinced other people were not doping so he could win legit, but he still DOPED and got 3rd. This guy is a megalomaniac, desperate for validation from others, and grossly delusional. He hasn't changed at all, he's just trying to change the narrative of his story by appearing to be apologetic, honest, etc.

this dude is just NUTS mentally. Just watch the Armstrong Lie. He claims he didn't cheat when during his comeback when he got 3rd, but he very clearly tested POSITIVE. He was convinced other people were not doping so he could win legit, but he still DOPED and got 3rd. This guy is a megalomaniac, desperate for validation from others, and grossly delusional. He hasn't changed at all, he's just trying to change the narrative of his story

Nailed it.

CrankyJay

Banned
What does he mean by that?

I think he means with new tests and regulations in place it's a much more even playing field. He's saying he had to cheat back then because it was pervasive and he did it to level the playing field...

Though he didn't just level it...he obviously tilted that motherfucker in his favor.

What does he mean by that?

It's all part of the narrative that everyone was doping back when he rode, so he wasn't actually cheating, he was levelling the playing field.

It's complete horseshit of course, but it's the story he's been running with.

jtb

Banned
Probably the first honest thing he's said in decades.

Of course he would cheat again. He clearly doesn't give a shit.

entremet

It's all part of the narrative that everyone was doping back when he rode, so he wasn't actually cheating, he was levelling the playing field.

How is horseshit? When they vacated his Tour wins, they couldn't award it to the next few guys down the ladder because they all were caught doping before.

It's not horseshit though because it's true. There were very few teams then who didn't have people doping.

Armstrong is awesome and the hypocrisy of those who slander him is pathetic. He did more and gave more back as a cheater than most people who go "clean". He's a good man in my books.

Rand6

Thanks for the replies guys ;)

That's exactly what I was thinking lol.

Nephtis

I also forgive him for all the doping he's done. I even forgive him for being an asshole.

Dude doesn't have to apologize to me for shit. The things he's done with Livestrong are enough to make me not care about his transgressions.

After watching his documentary on Showtime, I was absolutely shocked that something like this is real life. It's the type of shit you see in movies but for it to actually happen.. I am shocked completely. No shit he would do it again. He probably loved living a lie.

Isn't everyone doping at that high level of sport? I remember seeing a picture of some cyclist's legs a short while back he posted on Twitter and his veins were just freaky. There's no way he wasn't on massive dosages of EPO or things that increase red blood cell production. From what I understand EPO is a hard substance to test for as your body already makes it naturally, so it would make sense that most of them, if not all are on it. But I could be wrong.

Edit: this one.

BtlizwlIIAAK_i-.jpg:large

But it doesn't take away from the fact that everyone was doping. Just because Lance used EPO while others used something else doesn't change that doping was rampant in the 90s/00s.

Well, almost everyone was doping in his team, he didn't give them much of a chance to do otherwise. I imagine most other people doped once he started smashing them. Hell, if he was getting away with it so easily, so could they.

As others have said, no-one doped like Lance. It was done on an unprecedented scale and with a level of organisation previously unseen in any sport.

inm8num2

Not surprising from a guy who tweeted this image after the doping allegations had intensified a couple years ago.

wYPKY2z.jpg

I read "It's Not About the Bike" quite a few years ago and was quite inspired by his comeback. I still am, but it's a shame that Lance's rise to the top was marred by cheating.

Beefy

I also forgive him for all the doping he's done. I even forgive him for being an asshole.

Dude doesn't have to apologize to me for shit. The things he's done with Livestrong are enough to make me not care about his transgressions.

Just because he did something right doesn't mean he gets let off for the other stuff he did.

CrankyJay

Banned
Not surprising from a guy who tweeted this image after the doping allegations had intensified a couple years ago.

wYPKY2z.jpg

I read "It's Not About the Bike" quite a few years ago and was quite inspired by his comeback. I still am, but it's a shame that Lance's rise to the top was marred by cheating.

Everyone competing should dope then...

I'm serious...if we want to see the best of the best that science and sport can offer, I say fucking go for it.

Either that, or have an openly juiced leagued and a non-juiced one...I guarantee you people will be far more interested in the shit the juicers are doing.

Yeah, no wonder nobody watches this sport anymore.

I remember 10 years ago the tour de france was all over TV, nowadays not even the results make the evening news sometimes.

Isn't everyone doping at that high level of sport? I remember seeing a picture of some cyclist's legs a short while back he posted on Twitter and his veins were just freaky. There's no way he wasn't on massive dosages of EPO or things that increase red blood cell production. From what I understand EPO is a hard substance to test for as your body already makes it naturally, so it would make sense that most of them, if not all are on it. But I could be wrong.

Edit: this one.

BtlizwlIIAAK_i-.jpg:large

Veins bulging like that doesn't mean doping.

But it's not complete horseshit. From what we know now, 95-98% of the cyclists competing back then were doing some form of doping.

Not saying that makes what he did right, but it really was that pervasive in the sport.

highrider

Banned
Fuck that guy. But frankly, I'm glad he is just a cyclist and not in a position to hurt even more people than he did. As far a performance enhancers, not something I support, but probably the least of his offenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom