• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lance Armstrong on Doping: 'I Would Probably Do It Again'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

The "everyone was doping, Lance was just evening the playing field" argument, aside from being morally bankrupt, is also disingenuous because by all accounts, Armstrong's whole doping operation was far more sophisticated and performance-enhancing than anything used by other athletes.

Even if everyone was cheating, it still wasn't a case of all things being equal.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
It still amazes me that so many refused ot believe he was cheating before it all came out. How could anyone be that naive?

A recovering cancer patient wins the most greuling individual sport on the planet 7 times unassisted against a field of drug cheats?

Yeah....sure...ok.

entremet

It still amazes me that so many refused ot believe he was cheating before it all came out. How could anyone be that naive?

A recovering cancer patient wins the most greuling individual sport on the planet 7 times unassisted against a field of drug cheats?

Yeah....sure...ok.

People love underdog fairy tales.

Look at voting patterns lol.

Yeah....sure...ok.

Well, the fact that he was never caught kinda helped with the illusion.

Blader

People love underdog fairy tales.

Look at voting patterns lol.

I honestly think he was also helped, if only a little, by that brief wave of anti-French sentiments in 2002/03 over the Iraq war. A lot of French accusations over Armstrong were decried as being jealous and resentful toward America.

Or maybe that was just my dad :lol

Means do not justify the end or vice versa. :(

Don't get me wrong I still think the responses to accusations and the way he would drag detractors through the mud was reprehensible, but with regards to the PED use I bet most athlete deep down feel the same way. If ARod had it to do all over again you think he wouldn't? Guy made like $300 million with that you can buy a new reputation.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
If it wasn't for him trying (and succeeding) to destroy the lives of folks who were whistle blowing, I honestly wouldn't have too many problems with the guy. He battled back from life threatening disease, made lots of money, got his body in supreme shape, and founded an organization that I've personally seen help people with cancer.

He has the asshole personality that you seem to need to have to be successful in America. He did what he thought that he needed to do. But he stomped on others to try to get to the top. And that's why he deserved to fall.

1. his body fat is stupidly low
2. Go ride a bike over 100KM at their intensity level and look at your body when it's done.

It doesn't take much to cause veins to bulge after putting your body through exertion.

I used to be a long distance runner in high school with low body fat, never had legs looking anywhere near that. In fact I've never seen any runner's or cyclist's legs look like that. I honestly don't think it's possible to get to that level of vascularity without performance enhancing drugs.

Nephtis

Just because he did something right doesn't mean he gets let off for the other stuff he did.

He did a *lot* of things right.

Sure, cheating is bad, and sure, he was an asshole. But honestly, I'd much rather have an asshole that helps a lot of people, that actually leads a great organization, than a nice person who is incompetent at what they do.

As far as I'm concerned, if we could go back in time, and I knew he was doping, I'd still cheer him on.

entremet

I used to be a long distance runner in high school with low body fat, never had legs looking anywhere near that. In fact I've never seen any runner's or cyclist's legs look like that. I honestly don't think it's possible to get to that level of vascularity without performance enhancing drugs.

He could also be dehydrated to the max. Not sure why an endurance athletes would that. I can understand for stage ready bodybuilders, which are almost always enhanced.

Those were his legs AFTER Stage 18 which if you look at the profile (http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2014/us/stage-18.html) you can see had two very tough climbs. His legs do not look like this every day of the week.

Beefy

Sure, cheating is bad, and sure, he was an asshole. But honestly, I'd much rather have an asshole that helps a lot of people, that actually leads a great organization, than a nice person who is incompetent at what they do.

As far as I'm concerned, if we could go back in time, and I knew he was doping, I'd still cheer him on.

Each to their own. I couldn't cheer a cheat on, that ruined peoples lives just because they wanted to stand up to him. He still doesn't care what he did to those people. But I give him credit for setting up his organisation to help cancer sufferers.

Watch the Showtime special on Lance and I guarantee you it will change your perception of him. He did one thing right and that was use his fame to push Livestrong, that's it. He verbally threatened people constantly and ruined tons of peoples lives all to preserve his own legacy.

It takes some ball to admit that.

giphy.gif

legend166

You guys know that it's very likely the reason he got cancer in the first place is because of the massive amounts of drugs he was taking, right?

Sane_Man

Love all the delusional American's defending him in this thread. My god. The man is a complete cunt and I hope he lives in shame for the rest of his life. He's nothing but a cheating bully.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
After watching that documentary I'm thoroughly convinced that the man is a sociopath.

Lack of empathy is common in high-level sportsmen. Wouldn't shock me one bit. Not that there is anything wrong with being a sociopath; though there is with doing bad things.

I can at least respect his honesty here. He's a dick but, at least he's not bullshitting. His punishment should be maintained though because you can't tolerate this behaviour.

I care less about the doping and more about how he destroyed people for accusing him of doping, which he's still pretty unapologetic for.

Pretty much this. Wrecked lives to keep up his lies. No sympathy from me, I don't care how many "charities" he started in the meantime.

Blader

There is no justification for that, but his foundation has helped far, far more people in the long run.

and yet, here you are justifying it:

Armstrong is awesome and the hypocrisy of those who slander him is pathetic. He did more and gave more back as a cheater than most people who go "clean". He's a good man in my books.

And while his noble cheating may have created Livestrong, the admission of said cheating has left a huge financial hole in the foundation, with donations dropping off and major sponsors pulling out. So really, maybe the right thing would have been to never cop to it in the first place!

Love all the delusional American's defending him in this thread. My god. The man is a complete cunt and I hope he lives in shame for the rest of his life. He's nothing but a cheating bully.

The fuck does being American have to do with this? As a British man I salute Armstrong, dude is a gentleman and scholar for helping so many people. Yeah he cheated in a sport but so what? Sportmen are just on the planet for my entertainment when I have nothing better to do, win or lose no sportsman will ever change your life.

Except this guy, Armstrong helped a lot of people through the foundation.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
He's already paid the price in the court of public opinion so his honesty is welcome. He didn't murder anyone and no, I'm not a fan but just a human.

I'm only human!

A_Gorilla

Banned
The fuck does being American have to do with this? As a British man I salute Armstrong, dude is a gentleman and scholar for helping so many people. Yeah he cheated in a sport but so what? Sportmen are just on the planet for my entertainment when I have nothing better to do, win or lose no sportsman will ever change your life.

Except this guy, Armstrong helped a lot of people through the foundation.

Watch the documentary and then comeback and tell us he's a "Gentleman."

Outside of his foundation and how his beating cancer has helped people gain more will, fuck that guy for his cheating ways and lack of remorse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom