• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lance Armstrong on Doping: 'I Would Probably Do It Again'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesousa

Banned
Even if Cycling is clean now it will never live down the doping era, or the stigma attached to it. Even in shame Lance will always be the poster boy for the sport.

Cant wait until the painting comes down over the Tennis Facade. The biggest running joke in sport is Djokovich's "New Diet", and just Nadal in general.

jdouglas

There's a reality that a lot of people don't want to face in professional [anything], whether it be soccer, football, biking, wrestling, boxing, weightlifting, or even e-sports; people will and do take performance enhancing drugs like steroids in sports and adderall in e-sports. It just happens. I'm guessing, conservatively, over 90 percent. You're straight delusional if you can put someone on a pedestal above that stuff.

A_Gorilla

Banned
There's a reality that a lot of people don't want to face in professional [anything], whether it be soccer, football, biking, wrestling, boxing, weightlifting, or even e-sports; people will and do take performance enhancing drugs like steroids in sports and adderall in e-sports. It just happens. I'm guessing, conservatively, over 90 percent. You're straight delusional if you can put someone on a pedestal above that stuff.

Where are you getting this ninety percent figure from? I think it really depends on both the sport and what decade you're talking about. Take baseball for example: Back in the 90s, during the Home Run Record era, then yes, I could easily see 90% of the guys there being juiced. But in this day and age, with the internet just WAITING for athletes to slip up, the fall out of what happened both with Armstrong and before and people being very cynical towards athletes in general after all the scandals, I'd say its nowhere near that high anymore, if only cause its both a lot harder to conceal and officials can no longer turn a blind eye like they used to.

Dr.Acula

Banned
He got away with it, he won, but he was so pissed at the people accusing him of doping he un-retired to race AGAIN. But he knew he was doping, so what was he trying to prove? He could have walked away and falsely maintained he was clean, it's not like a comeback would change anyone's minds. But he went back after retiring and determined to race clean, but he DOPED again! And he got caught! Whhhhyyy?!

A_Gorilla

Banned
He got away with it, he won, but he was so pissed at the people accusing him of doping he un-retired to race AGAIN. But he knew he was doping, so what was he trying to prove? He could have walked away and falsely maintained he was clean, it's not like a comeback would change anyone's minds. But he went back after retiring and determined to race clean, but he DOPED again! And he got caught! Whhhhyyy?!

They addressed this in the documentary. Basically, the Irish journalist's theory was that he missed the rush, he missed the glory. The guy compares it to the successful and retired assassin or jewel thief being called in for "one last job." They just can't resist, because that was when they were on top of the world,

So he'd also go back and destroy the lives of anyone who threatened his career and reputation all over again?

Wow, what a nice, "good man" he is.

Most of us who hate Lance don't hate him for doping, we hate him for who he is as a person and what he did to other people. He makes Bonds, Clemens and Arod look like saints by comparison.

AxelFoley

image.php

LOL, fuckin ether.

Blader

Bought into his own hype. Can you imagine what winning that race, that many times and with that level of hype and fame, does to a man's ego? Of course he thought he was untouchable.

You lie to other people that long and commit that hard to it, it's not difficult to imagine that he started believing it himself.

Bought into his own hype. Can you imagine what winning that race, that many times and with that level of hype and fame, does to a man's ego? Of course he thought he was untouchable.

You lie to other people that long and commit that hard to it, it's not difficult to imagine that he started believing it himself.

His ego was immensely huge long before winning the TDF. He was intent on crushing Lemonds records from the get go.

The really sad thing is we'll never know just how good he was because of the era he rode in.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Given the life that he has lead, especially compared to other cyclists, I can see why he said that.

Takuan

You had to dope to win. That was the reality. Of course he'd do it again; chances are that he wouldn't be relevant name, otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuBq2ikjd58&t=1m48s

Doesn't Lemond hate him?

Based on the documentary, and this could be intentional, Lemond seems like he really didn't have issue with Armstrong until Armstrong threatened to ruin his life. Armstrong told Lemond he was going to crush him and say he was an alcholic, cheater, etc, etc. I'm not entirely sure how much that hatred runs, but it could be an Emma O'Reilly situation where's she trying to move on. It's really hard to say because of how awful Armstrong was to all of them.

Servbot24

Banned
If I was a competitor and all of my peers were doping, leaving me incapable of competing, you bet I would start doping too.

Blader

You had to dope to win. That was the reality. Of course he'd do it again; chances are that he wouldn't be relevant name, otherwise.

If I was a competitor and all of my peers were doping, leaving me incapable of competing, you bet I would start doping too.

I think once you find yourself this morally confused, you have acknowledge that you've fucked up somewhere along the way.

Yes, and you should probably push your entire team to dope, lie, cheat and generally act like scumbags. I mean... cycling isn't a solo sport, without your team to pull you through 75% of the ride you're not going to win, drugs or not... so you'd better be damn sure you have them on drugs too.

On the topic in general, seems he's still a class act...

Lance Armstrong hit parked cars after drinking, blamed girlfriend

Authorities say disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong hit two parked cars after a night of partying in Aspen but agreed to let his girlfriend take the blame to avoid national attention.

Police say they cited Armstrong after the Dec. 28 hit-and-run but only after his girlfriend, Anna Hansen, admitted to lying for him.

Police say Hansen told them she had been driving home from a party when she lost control of Armstrong's SUV, hitting the cars. But Hansen eventually told officers Armstrong was driving, and they both decided to let her take the blame.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102393794

obin_gam

I am actually for roiding in sports.

I say let everyone - nay, force everyone - to take as much roids as they can. That way we'll get super exciting games! Just imagine a roid-olympics

Kintaco

]If it wasn't for him trying (and succeeding) to destroy the lives of folks who were whistle blowing, I honestly wouldn't have too many problems with the guy.[/B]

He tries to destroy the lives of the people who are trying to destroy his life? Seems like the logical thing to do IMO, not that it makes it right, but I can't blame him either.

Skeyser

Makes sense, he had no chance of winning without doping, and winning is what made him rich and famous. And being famous helped him raise hundreds of millions for cancer research. I sure as fuck hope he would do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom