• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light |OT| - Play This GOTY Contender

derFeef

Weird bug in PC coop. My buddy, who played Totec, only could use his spear. He could fire his weapons and he even sees it, but the game does not recognize it at all. I am also jsut seeing is spear-throw animation and not the weapons he is using. :-/

Chris_C

Is it just me, or does this game have terrible netcode on PS3?

I'm not talking about Gem pickups, I was trying to play co-op with my brother last night for 2 hours, but one of us was always getting kicked from the room, we literally couldn't play at all.

Rubezh

A user from tombraiderforums.com allegedly "glitched" the game and found a list of all current and planned DLC. Not sure if it's real but worth posting.

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=5025862&postcount=6

All the Trappings - Challenge Pack 1

- Exclusively free to Xbox 360 gamers.

Levels
- Double Crossings
- Temple Defense
- Tooth and Nail
- Crushing Expectations

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things That Go Boom - Challenge Pack 2

- Exclusively free to Ps3 gamers.

Levels
- Madness River
- Mayan Mini Golf
- Blast Lifts
- III Valley

Hazardous Reunion - Challenge Pack 3

- Exclusively free to PC gamers.

Levels
- Firefighters
- Lava Chompy
- Puzzle Soup
- Leglion's Lair

Kane & Lynch - Character Pack

- Play Story Mode with Kane as Lara Croft & Lynch as Totec.

Menu sequence

Kane & Lynch Character Pack -> Single Player -> Stage select.

Raziel & Kane - Character Pack

- Play Story Mode with Raziel as Lara Croft & Kain as Totec.

Menu sequence

Raziel & Kane Character Pack -> Single Player -> Stage select.

I played this with a friend the other day and while its fun, it gets repetitive quick. I've only played the first two levels, is there five total or more? Hopefully it picks up for me.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Rubezh said:
A user from tombraiderforums.com allegedly "glitched" the game and found a list of all current and planned DLC. Not sure if it's real but worth posting.

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=5025862&postcount=6
Hmm, disappointed with the character packs but I suppose I'm not sure what I was expecting either.

I will probably grab Challenge Pack 2 and 3 if they are released for the 360 (assuming they are).

Massa

Lion Heart said:
I played this with a friend the other day and while its fun, it gets repetitive quick. I've only played the first two levels, is there five total or more? Hopefully it picks up for me.

There's about 14 levels.

Raziel & Kane - Character Pack
"Kane" instead of Kain makes me kind of dubious. If it's true then I would love to read that as CD trying to make gamers aware of LoK/SR characters to "relaunch" the IP with a new game.

*Sigh* were it so easy.
Grisby said:
Happy for fans of the characters but I would have preferred something else. Like what? I don't know really :lol
More puzzle-based content, easily. A gauntlet run through a level filled with puzzles with a throwback boss fight at the end.

barnone

Using motionjoy, all of my buttons on my DS3 work except R2 and L2 triggers, and L1. R1 works, and so do all of the other controls. I tried fiddling with the control configurations but it wouldn't work, and my computer definitely registers the button inputs when I look at the device through the control panel. Anyone have any idea?

Also: when I rebind shoot to X (or A since it's emulating an xbox controller), X will stop working and won't shoot my gun. If I bind it to jump, it works.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
FUCK the Forgotten Gate speedrun. I wouldn't be so mad if that level wasn't a buggy piece of shit that will warp me back and has jumps that I clearly made but the game says "lol nope".

Xanathus

barnone said:
Using motionjoy, all of my buttons on my DS3 work except R2 and L2 triggers, and L1. R1 works, and so do all of the other controls. I tried fiddling with the control configurations but it wouldn't work, and my computer definitely registers the button inputs when I look at the device through the control panel. Anyone have any idea?

Also: when I rebind shoot to X (or A since it's emulating an xbox controller), X will stop working and won't shoot my gun. If I bind it to jump, it works.
With the controller, you have to aim with the right analog stick before you can fire with the R2 shoulder button.

FunkyPajamas said:
"Kane" instead of Kain makes me kind of dubious. If it's true then I would love to read that as CD trying to make gamers aware of LoK/SR characters to "relaunch" the IP with a new game.

*Sigh* were it so easy.

It does say Kain in the rest of the description so it's probably just a typo. I can't imagine they'd put Kane from Kane and Lynch in with Raziel.

Those are some odd character choices indeed, I can't see them selling particularly well.

randomlyrossy said:
It does say Kain in the rest of the description so it's probably just a typo. I can't imagine they'd put Kane from Kane and Lynch in with Raziel.

Those are some odd character choices indeed, I can't see them selling particularly well.
Oh, you're right. for some reason I read the two "Kane" ones but didn't catch the correct "Kain" spelling. Joke's on me.

Yeah, Kain and Raziel are odd, that's why I hope it's got something to do with CD/Eidos/Square trying to make the characters popular for the current gen gamers.

K&L seem like a bit more of a "logical" (in regards to popularity and advertisement) choice, but to be honest all of the characters seem to me like a weird choice given the game settings and overall theme. Then again I've never been the kind of gamer that wants crossover characters in games, unless they bring something more than a cosmetic change (i.e. gameplay differences).

ArjanN

FunkyPajamas said:
K&L seem like a bit more of a "logical" (in regards to popularity and advertisement) choice, but to be honest all of the characters seem to me like a weird choice given the game settings and overall theme.

Most of the environments Kain and Raziel were running around in were very similar to Tomb Raider Locations. Ancient tombs and crypts, gothic castles, etc.

I hope they put some effort into them, like voice-acting and such, and it's not just a couple of skins.

Cerberus

Challenge Pack #1 is on PSN now.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light – All The Trappings Challenge Pack 1 ($3.49)
Four new challenge maps filled with hordes of undead enemies and devious traps you must maneuver and exploit to survive.
File size: 82 MB

alf717

Wow the DLC is like getting a whole new game. I was just about to ask about a sequel. :lol

I just completed the game today so I hope the DLC hit soon on PC.

The end boss with Xolotl was fun but the spear of light made the fight so easy.

Is it possible to play single player as Totec?

Cels

Jubbly said:
There is still a ~1 sec lag on pick ups. Once you're used to it you know that running through them will acquire them. It always registers, just doesn't show you getting them for an extra second.

So all three platforms have this problem (I have 360/PS3 and the quote addresses PC version)

What the heck is the deal? Why can't the game have proper netcode that registers actions on the frame of ms rather than whole seconds?

Hadn't heard too much about this game until recently, surprised by the high reviews.

How is the couch co-op? It looks like something that might be fun to play with my girlfriend. Is it split-screen? How does it hold up compared to the SP experience?

duckroll

timetokill said:
Hadn't heard too much about this game until recently, surprised by the high reviews.

How is the couch co-op? It looks like something that might be fun to play with my girlfriend. Is it split-screen? How does it hold up compared to the SP experience?

Co-op is really good. There's no splitscreen because it's the sort of co-op game you play together on the same screen. The co-op experience is actually better than the SP if you play with a friend you know. The puzzles and obstacles are designed differently in SP and in co-op, so in SP you can solve everything alone, but in co-op many solutions require the players working together. Great game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
timetokill said:
Couch co-op is fucking incredible. I played it over Thanksgiving break with my GF and she enjoyed the hell out of it. It's same screen so you can't move too far away from each other. It is worth going back and playing the game in singleplayer to see how some of the puzzles are changed.

Jubbly

Llyranor said:
Co-op puzzle-solving and platforming is AMAZING.

But map pack 2 is TERRIBLE. Two score attack challenges, a tedious ball exercise, and one interesting platform mechanic that would have worked better as part of a proper level. If the others are as bad I certainly won't be paying $4 for each.

duckroll said:
Co-op is really good. There's no splitscreen because it's the sort of co-op game you play together on the same screen. The co-op experience is actually better than the SP if you play with a friend you know. The puzzles and obstacles are designed differently in SP and in co-op, so in SP you can solve everything alone, but in co-op many solutions require the players working together. Great game.
Awesome, I actually prefer it to not be split-screen, so this is all great news to me. Sounds like I'll be making a purchase on 360 soon :D

Stallion Free said:
Couch co-op is fucking incredible. I played it over Thanksgiving break with my GF and she enjoyed the hell out of it. It's same screen so you can't move too far away from each other. It is worth going back and playing the game in singleplayer to see how some of the puzzles are changed.
Exactly what I wanted to hear! Respect both of your opinions so I'll be checking this out for sure.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Jubbly said:
But map pack 2 is TERRIBLE. Two score attack challenges, a tedious ball exercise, and one interesting platform mechanic that would have worked better as part of a proper level. If the others are as bad I certainly won't be paying $4 for each.
Oh shit, those are score attack? I couldn't figure out if there was a puzzle to complete in those two and I was getting really stressed out with the increasing number of enemies while looking for something :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Jubbly said:

Yeaaaaaah.

I only did the first level in map pack 2 but wow, that is not a way to sell people on paying for DLC. The level was awful. Just a boring arena with infinite spawning enemies and no puzzles, relics, powerups, or interesting challenges. I'd pay to not have to play levels like that! Sad to hear the rest isn't much better.

Doesn't really make any sense that the main game is so well designed and then these dlc levels are mehtastic. Different designers? Rush job? Who knows.

ZoddGutts

Just finished the game. Pretty damn good, worth the 7 bucks I payed on the special deal offer on steam. Love how challenging the game was.

Yoshiya

Bebpo said:
Doesn't really make any sense that the main game is so well designed and then these dlc levels are mehtastic. Different designers? Rush job? Who knows.

Hopefully the third pack, probably out next week for all platforms, will have at least a couple of full levels able to match the original game. There was so much material in the main game, but the DLC seemed to completely miss what made it so much fun. Perhaps pack three will be pushed back to become something worthwhile and we'll get the character packs first instead.

Yoshiya

duckroll said:
I have not played the free DLC yet, but it's disappointing to hear that it's subpar. :(

I mean, it's free, so I can't complain too much, and the score attack levels give you a good opportunity to abuse the
Golden Shotgun
(not sure if necessary, but surprise unlocks are nice). I was just hoping for 15-20 minute puzzle/platforming levels, with combat scattered throughout, like the rest of the game. That certainly isn't what the DLC is and so I was left disappointed.

Edit: Do the DLC maps even have leaderboards? I can't say I looked for them for long, but I don't remember seeing any. If not there is no point whatsoever to playing them; why play over and over to boost my score when I have no means of comparison?

duckroll

I finally gave the DLC pack a try earlier. Man, what a load of shit. The first two "maps" are just a tiny area with waves of enemies until you either die or kill them all. Boring and unimaginative. Even the enemy waves were designed in boring ways. The third map was even worse imo. Instead of a puzzle, it's a "move the spike ball through a gauntlet of spikes and poison gas crap" challenge. Zzzzzzzzzzz. Fucking annoying design too. The DLC pack is basically all the things I dislike most about the normal game (and there are VERY few things I disliked!) stuffed into one DLC pack. Thank God it was free. :(

Dynoro

Jubbly said:
No, no leaderboards. Anyone with the X360 DLC want to comment on the quality of pack one's levels?
I really liked the core game but the challenge pack was horrid imo - I can see it being good for speedruns and maxing scores but wasn't interesting in the slightest for me due to a lot of cheap/boring deaths

ArjanN

duckroll said:
I finally gave the DLC pack a try earlier. Man, what a load of shit. The first two "maps" are just a tiny area with waves of enemies until you either die or kill them all. Boring and unimaginative. Even the enemy waves were designed in boring ways. The third map was even worse imo. Instead of a puzzle, it's a "move the spike ball through a gauntlet of spikes and poison gas crap" challenge. Zzzzzzzzzzz. Fucking annoying design too. The DLC pack is basically all the things I dislike most about the normal game (and there are VERY few things I disliked!) stuffed into one DLC pack. Thank God it was free. :(

I liked the 3rd and 4th map. The 3rd one is annoying until you realize you're supposed to keep bombing the ball forward. The 4th one is a decent puzzle level, but yeah, the levels in the full game have better pacing and design.

Peff

The first DLC pack is better, though I'm not sure if it's better enough for you guys to find it worth the money. Basically it's another score attack (I'm surprised to hear there are more of these in the second pack, honestly), an entire level over spike traps, a level with some cool little timing/hook puzzles and a race to the finish level like the one in the temple but harder. They're not normal-sized stages though, it takes less than half an hour being generous to complete them all.

Jubbly

One can only hope that the 'good' level designers are working on a sequel, as these five addons are all we're getting for the original game.

Curufinwe

timetokill said:

My wife sometimes complains about the isometric angle and not being able to move the camera to get a better look at things, but we are moving thru the game and only have a couple of levels left now. I replay the levels on my own after we beat them co-op, so I think it will end up being a 20-hour game for me.

We got totally stuck on the
lava
level because we couldn't work out that you were supposed to have Lara drop down,
swing side to side, and then jump to the left past the flames.
Eventually we got past that bit by having Totec kill himself in the flames, then respawn just as Lara was about to hit the ground and die. :lol

duckroll

Peff said:
The first DLC pack is better, though I'm not sure if it's better enough for you guys to find it worth the money. Basically it's another score attack (I'm surprised to hear there are more of these in the second pack, honestly), an entire level over spike traps, a level with some cool little timing/hook puzzles and a race to the finish level like the one in the temple but harder. They're not normal-sized stages though, it takes less than half an hour being generous to complete them all.

Sounds like poop. :(

I was really excited for more stages via DLC, but this is definitely not the sort of stages I wanted more of. >_<

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I....think I love this game. The puzzles are so good. The combat is better than the slow, immobile garbage I got in a combat-focused Diablo clone like Torchlight. It's just a perfect package. I can't believe this.

Van Owen said:
Is online broken? I can't find any games online with the Steam version...
Nobody wants to co-op with strangers.

Top Bottom