• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light |OT| - Play This GOTY Contender

Massa

mescalineeyes said:
it's not though, the single-player campaign is perfectly viable on its own.

Not just viable, it's an absolutely amazing game. It's also a different game in large part thanks to the different puzzles so people should play both ways anyway.

mescalineeyes said:
it's not though, the single-player campaign is perfectly viable on its own.
Who gives a crap, multiplayer is what this game was designed for and it's what we still dont have. And I dont believe they're taking this long for technical reasons.
Single player was just ways to hold on till the online patch and that burned out pretty quickly.

Massa

Prime crotch said:
Who gives a crap, multiplayer is what this game was designed for and it's what we still dont have. And I dont believe they're taking this long for technical reasons.
Single player was just ways to hold on till the online patch and that burned out pretty quickly.

Again, this is not true at all. This game has many puzzles designed exclusively for SP and the combat works great in SP as well.

The process of getting the online coop working is ridiculous but people not playing the SP are definitely missing out on a fantastic game.

V_Arnold

Prime crotch said:

This is pure bullshit. Single player holds its own perfectly fine. Co-op is awesome, but so is SP.

Cels said:
Here is a timeline for everyone's enlightenment:

August 18 -- Release on XBLA without online co-op. However, the game's page on Xbox.com lists online co-op as one of the game's features.
September 28 -- Release on PSN, Steam without online co-op. Original planned release date for 360 online co-op. Crystal Dynamics misses this date. No official, public word from anyone from Eidos or Crystal Dynamics about the delay beforehand.
October 20 -- Eidos and Crystal Dynamics announce that online co-op for 360 is finally coming next week as well as a free DLC pack as an apology for the delay. No set date for PSN or Steam online co-op.
October 27 -- 360 gets online co-op, seventy days after original release. DLC pack #1, "All The Trappings", arrives as well, free for 30 days.
November 21, present -- Still no set date for when PSN and Steam versions will be getting online co-op or the free DLC pack -- "soon" and "in the not too distant future" are the only descriptions offered. Assuming a seventy-day delay between release of the game and release of the co-op patch, which is what happened on the 360, PSN and Steam gamers should expect online co-op around January 5, 2011.
Reposting Cels' timeline, updated.

Prime crotch said:
The game is perfectly fine and brilliant as a single player.

Always-honest said:
The game is perfectly fine and brilliant as a single player.
It is merely a glimmer of the briliance that is the co-op experience. Plus, I bought the game with the promisse of a service, and so I'm kinda pissed off.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just started local co-op with my GF with two 360 pads on my PC today, game is still incredibly baller. GF loved it as well. It feels so tight at 60 fps and looks pretty incredible on my TV. Would buy again.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
did the trophy glitch get fixed already? Hadn't been keeping up.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
V_Ben said:
:lol

:(

I want to finish that game's story too :/

It's sad that they treat multiplatform people as second class citizens to the 360.

"Oh, we have buyers on those other platforms? FUCK. THEM."

And the kicker is that the 360 player base wants us to youtube them as they're apparently significant to the story of Underworld.

V_Ben

Banned
TheSeks said:
It's sad that they treat multiplatform people as second class citizens to the 360.

"Oh, we have buyers on those other platforms? FUCK. THEM."

And the kicker is that the 360 player base wants us to youtube them as they're apparently significant to the story of Underworld.

Aye, it's a freakishly stupid business practice that needs to go and die in a fire. Underworld's story was underdeveloped enough as it was, and those chapters likely would have improved it. I would have bought them instantly.

For a character that was so significant to the development of the original playstation as a platform, they've been treating PS3 owners like, as you said, 2nd class citizens. It's embarassing :/

(Oh, my review of the game went live ages ago, but maybe I'll just link to it here)

Wooo managed to play an oustanding ammount of one game. With lag to boot. I hope every PS3 player gets wind of this news soon and we start getting more people to play with.

peull

Prime crotch said:
Wooo managed to play an oustanding ammount of one game. With lag to boot. I hope every PS3 player gets wind of this news soon and we start getting more people to play with.

I will play some tonight right after the hockey game!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Managed to play a couple of levels, it's pretty fun even if it was a little laggy.

Moobabe

All my saved files got deleted on the steam version a week ago so I stopped playing :( I've been waiting for the co-op patch to start a new game with my friend so this is good news.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Edgeward said:
Please post impressions of the ps3 netcode for this game. =)

It's not too bad. I didn't run into lag except a few times and onl then it skated lara around.

Cels

Here is a timeline for everyone's enlightenment:

August 18 -- Release on XBLA without online co-op. However, the game's page on Xbox.com lists online co-op as one of the game's features.
September 28 -- Release on PSN, Steam without online co-op. Original planned release date for 360 online co-op. Crystal Dynamics misses this date. No official, public word from anyone from Eidos or Crystal Dynamics about the delay beforehand.
October 20 -- Eidos and Crystal Dynamics announce that online co-op for 360 is finally coming next week as well as a free DLC pack as an apology for the delay. No set date for PSN or Steam online co-op.
October 27 -- 360 gets online co-op, seventy days after original release. DLC pack #1, "All The Trappings", arrives as well, free for 30 days.
November 22 -- PSN version receives online co-op, eight weeks after release. Still no set date for when Steam version will be getting online co-op. No set date on when PSN or Steam version will receive the free DLC pack -- "soon" and "in the not too distant future" are the only descriptions offered.

At least the PSN version got online co-op faster (smaller window between release and patch) than the 360 version. Steam will get it last, "soon". "Soon", at least according to Crystal Dynamics, can mean "in one month's time" -- Crystal Dynamics said in late September that 360 co-op was coming "soon" and it came in late October. I hope Steam players get it before the end of the year.

It would be nice if the free DLC came more quickly as well.

Lumine

Finally! Oh still not on PC I see. Bah, it'd be nice if crystal dynamics could at least be a little more open about release dates/windows and reasons for the delays to their customers. I can wait, but at least let me know how long and why. These things were supposed to be ready at launch and all we get is the silent treatment.

Corto

Nice! If anyone wants a coop partner please add me, my PSN id it's on my profile. Yurop GMT time zone. :D

Lumine said:
Finally! Oh still not on PC I see. Bah, it'd be nice if crystal dynamics could at least be a little more open about release dates/windows and reasons for the delays to their customers. I can wait, but at least let me know how long and why. These things were supposed to be ready at launch and all we get is the silent treatment.

It's understandable. They made a critical choice of releasing the game without that feature. From that point there aren't many ways to say "we are working as fast as we can to deliver the full experience to all our users" without leaving your users a little bit (or a lot) annoyed. The problem was releasing the game incomplete in the first place. The single player is a full fulfilling experience, but the coop was advertised as an integral part of the game and keeping a low profile and releasing it when complete was IMO a good decision. And YAYYYYYYY for this again.:D

Cels

Corto said:
Nice! If anyone wants a coop partner please add me, my PSN id it's on my profile. Yurop GMT time zone. :D

It's understandable. They made a critical choice of releasing the game without that feature. From that point there aren't many ways to say "we are working as fast as we can to deliver the full experience to all our users" without leaving your users a little bit (or a lot) annoyed. The problem was releasing the game incomplete in the first place. The single player is a full fulfilling experience, but the coop was advertised as an integral part of the game and keeping a low profile and releasing it when complete was IMO a good decision. And YAYYYYYYY for this again.:D

My problem is, for the Xbox version, the Marketplace page for the game specifically said full online co-op was included in the game. This was up on day one back on August 18. We know that was false, and continued to be false for well over two months, until the patch finally saw release.

I would have been fine with the description saying "online co-op to be patched in at a later date", because that would have been the truth. Why wasn't the description truthful? I don't know, you'll have to ask Eidos for that. One possible explanation is negligence. Another possible, more sinister explanation, is that they knew the description was wrong, but lied in order to sell more copies to people who would not have bought the game but for online co-op. But again, who knows? It doesn't really matter why it was there, the fact is that it was there and it was false.

My points are
1) Don't advertise your game claiming a feature is there when it isn't.
2) Consumers should not have to wait seventy days for one of the advertised, compelling features of your game to finally get patched in.
3) If you promise that something (in this case the online co-op patch) will arrive by a certain date (here, September 28), and it will not arrive by that date, let people know beforehand. Eidos did not, waiting until that day came and went until saying "OOPS sorry the patch isn't coming today", and even then it was through a forum post that was difficult to find.

snap0212

Cels said:
My problem is, for the Xbox version, the Marketplace page for the game specifically said full online co-op was included in the game. This was up on day one back on August 18. We know that was false, and continued to be false for well over two months, until the patch finally saw release.

I would have been fine with the description saying "online co-op to be patched in at a later date", because that would have been the truth. Why wasn't the description truthful? I don't know, you'll have to ask Eidos for that. One possible explanation is negligence. Another possible, more sinister explanation, is that they knew the description was wrong, but lied in order to sell more copies to people who would not have bought the game but for online co-op. But again, who knows? It doesn't really matter why it was there, the fact is that it was there and it was false.

My points are
1) Don't advertise your game claiming a feature is there when it isn't.
2) Consumers should not have to wait seventy days for one of the advertised, compelling features of your game to finally get patched in.
3) If you promise that something (in this case the online co-op patch) will arrive by a certain date (here, September 28), and it will not arrive by that date, let people know beforehand. Eidos did not, waiting until that day came and went until saying "OOPS sorry the patch isn't coming today", and even then it was through a forum post that was difficult to find.
This whole story reminds me of LEGO Harry Potter. I've bought the Special Edition that comes with a DVD. They let the Developers talk about their game and they mention how everything's going to be so awesome now that they have online co-op. The game doesn't have online co-op and they've never patched it in. I sold the game.

Treb

Just played one game with a random on PSN. It was going fine until we got to a puzzle room and I didn't know how to block these spikes with Totec's shield so that Lara can pull a switch. I was pressing all these buttons but not L1 for some reason. The player left out of frustration. Good times. :lol

Volcynika

Woo, now I can play both PS3 and PC versions online.

Played the PS3 version with last night with a friend, some noticeable lag (walk over jewel, second later it would register being picked up), but not too bad. My friend's game froze though, but his whole connection went down for a short bit after he d/ced, so that might have had an hand in it.

Fun game though, we played through up to and beat the first boss.

Top Bottom