• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last surviving Rhinos killed in Mozambique

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoukka

Treat these scumbag poachers like Al Qaeda

What about the people who buy the horns? The poachers might be piss poor, but the people who form the demand for this stuff have no other excuse than vanity/superstition.

Hating the poachers and wishing them death is like targeting henchmen in a Bond movie.

Crayons

Banned
Learned about this in Environmental Science last week. Very sad to see the game rangers working with the poachers.

Hey don't complain, it's the free market, haven't you heard it's the end all be all of rational decisions?

Ithil

And now you will never have any more horns to sell, ever, poachers. That's one ingenious business decision you made there.

jimi_dini

If our planet is ever invaded by space aliens War of the Worlds style and they start rounding up humans like cattle, butchering us, force us to fighting for their amusement, and generally treat us with no sense of ethics or respect...many people will ask "what did we do to deserve this?"

They will rather see what we are doing and then fly away.

And this here is not even the worst. What about nuclear plants? For example the one in Japan. Went boom, lots of radiated water. What did they do? Flush it into the ocean. Who the hell cares. It got us plenty of money, so not a problem. Someone else should care about it.

BP got that little oil problem. What did they do? Used Corexit, which made it way more toxic, but it looks much better and for the public image that's what's important. The helpers got sick because of it, but who the fuck cares, we got monies. http://www.motherjones.com/blue-mar...nt-made-bps-gulf-oilspill-52-times-more-toxic

In short:
tumblr_med6veIenp1rqt0kqo1_500.jpg

Crayons

Banned
What about the people who buy the horns? The poachers might be piss poor, but the people who form the demand for this stuff have no other excuse than vanity/superstition.

The poachers are not piss poor.
In all honesty, they probably make more than you do.
These are the guys who run around in expensive cars while their fellow people starve.

Man, this is sad.

You think they would increase their precautions when the killings have increased over 50% coming from the previous year but I guess they do not care enough.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Hating the poachers and wishing them death is like targeting henchmen in a Bond movie.

This really.

.GqueB.

Banned
The poachers are not piss poor.
In all honesty, they probably make more than you do.
These are the guys who run around in expensive cars while their fellow people starve.

I think he's pointing out the fact that they are responding to demand. If there were no demand then there wouldn't be any need for the horns in the first place. They aren't forcing them on people. Not saying the poachers aren't bad but they are only part of the problem.

i-Lo

Humans: The most intelligent and most vile creatures on this planet.

We should have their heads like the ornaments they made out of the body parts that they bought from poachers.

danwarb

I imagine it's especially hard and cruel to kill a rhino like that, with their extra thick skin.

Why not just farm the horn, which is pretty much the same as hair?

If our planet is ever invaded by space aliens War of the Worlds style and they start rounding up humans like cattle, butchering us, force us to fighting for their amusement, and generally treat us with no sense of ethics or respect...many people will ask "what did we do to deserve this?"

...and the aliens will have a PowerPoint presentation set up, It'll have pie charts and shit, bars and graphs of all the species we made extinct for dumb fuck reasons. And videos of all the terrible fucking things we did to the other creatures on our planet as well as the horrible things we did to each other for no other reason than because we had the power to do horrible things, so we did. And the aliens will be like "eye for an eye, right?" As a species, we won't have a retort.

Are you saying humanity deserves to die because of the actions of a few? How very arrogant of you. No shock here, protecting the planet and animals are more important then humans. If intelligent aliens slaughter us we all deserved it. So that little girl over there? She deserves to die a horrible death because of the actions of a few! Is that right?

Poona

Can we please poach poachers?

In quite a few parts of Africa, poachers have been shot on sight.

This is sad but extinctions are part of nature. The fact they're now being driven by human intervention doesn't make them any less natural, we are part of nature as well.

Humans may be part of nature, but the items that humans use that cause these killings and extinctions aren't found whole in the natural world.

shuri

Banned
Whats the story behind this hornless rhino? Why do I seem to remember reading or watching something on natgeo about this park in afrika that sedated a few of their rhinos and removed their horns this way they dont get killed by parcher for it? The reasoning was that it was a better fate to die from 'natural selection' then to die by poachers

Or maybe I dreamed this up.

Unbounded

rhino-e1284940104475.jpg

Or we could just replace the horn with hair to create equally ineffective medicine.

Cool, so now you have a rhino left out in the wild with no means to defend itself, and will most definitely get slaughtered by everything else in Africa that wants to kill you.

But WE didn't directly kill it, so it's all good. Go team!

danwarb

Cool, so now you have a rhino left out in the wild with no means to defend itself, and will most definitely get slaughtered by everything else in Africa that wants to kill you.

But WE didn't directly kill it, so it's all good. Go team!

Rhinos are certainly big enough to protect themselves without the horns, and the horns grow back. I imagined more of a free range rhino horn farm. If it'd make wild rhinos less appealing to poachers.

Kurdel

Banned
I thought we would be above this as a species, but I guess not :(

Why pin the blame on a species of billions of individuals when it is a few thousand rogue criminals who are condemned by the vast majority of the species?

The blame is to be put on the lack of education, especially in the eastern countries where traditional medecine without scientific proof is creating demand for these exotic ingredients,

Unbounded

Rhinos are certainly big enough to protect themselves without the horns, and the horns grow back. I imagined more of a free range rhino horn farm. If it'd make wild rhinos less appealing to poachers.

Yeah, that Rhino without its horn will protect itself from the Lion by charging it and attacking it with its ho...

It'll attack it with its cla...

Well what about its sharp tee...

Well you know, it runs so fast it can easily outrun a Lion!
Wikipedia said:
They are very fast and can get up to speeds of 56 kilometres per hour (35 mph) running on their toes.

Everything else said:
African Lions can run up to 35 mph.

Oh... They can run just as fast...

Whoops.

And I highly doubt a Rhino Farm would be able to produce nearly enough horns to meet the demand. You'd still have people hunting Rhinos for their horns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom