• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the Samus' Stripping Party

IJoel

Finally I beat Metroid Prime tonight, after getting it on its release date.

It took me this long because, frankly, the backtracking for the artifact hunt turned me off big time when I initially played it. Since MP2 is coming out in a couple of months, I decided I had to finish it and forced myself through it.

The following is ALL my opinion, obviously, and is not meant to troll, bother, or insult anyone's opinions. Take them as you wish, and be free to agree or disagree. Don't resort to insults as it's obviously not my intent.

My overall feeling is that the game was somewhat overrated by the gaming press. There. I said it.

That said, I think the game is pretty damn good and could leap to greatness, in my book, with some improvements.

I'll point out what I feel are the major strengths and weaknesses of the game.

Strengths:
- Environments. The environments in this game are really great. They vary from organic and full of vegetation and other organisms to very detailed labs and research centers. I found myself admiring the architecture of the stages a lot of times because of the incredible detail and most importantly how refreshing they seemed. It also showed that the level/architecture/environmental designers didn't really rush while creating them.

- Bosses. Yes, I hated that last boss, but even I have to include it in here. Most of the bosses were really kickass.
Meta Ridley (sp?) was an awesome boss, and the last boss' design was just superb.

- Music. I thought the music was both lacking and outstanding, but I will settle down with outstanding because I thought it was tied up with the presentation of the game and in this case, it was absolutely fitting.

- UI. The HUD in this game was really the best possible way to immerse the player in Samus' role and her abilities.

- Graphics. Simply kickass. No complaints in this department at all. The great clean graphics, combined with the amazing architectures made for some nice eye candy.

Weaknesses:
- Game Design. COLLECT-A-TON! Yes, it was only 12 artifacts, but still damn... I was running all over the place collecting the stupid artifacts and because of this, there was a lot of backtracking. Some people mention Halo as a bad example of backtracking and I partially agree. The main difference in this case is that it was a completely uninteresting repetitive experience doing this artifact search. Halo provided different scenarios when coming to these previously visited places and different circumstances as well (as, you know, how it fit into the storyline). MP had none of these elements to push me to continue on. This is what I found absolutely boring. A search for items just for the sake of collecting them. That's the only Halo comparison I'm making and i did it because I know people will bring it up and I thought I'd clear my stance on it.

- Presentation. Storyline. For me, unless the game is a puzzle/multiplayer/sports game, I just enjoy having a well developed storyline to follow. I like to be rewarded with really cool cutscenes that move and tie pieces of the storyline together. I would've absolutely loved having such a thing in MP. It would've been fantastic seeing things like Samus trying to remember from her past, as well as her enemies interacting in such a way that developed some sort of story. The whole 'scanning walls to uncover the story' was extremely dull for me.

- Controls. I don't have that much of an issue with the controls, but I feel that the controls impair the gamer during some boss fights and at times it just feels cheap. This is really a minor issue but I thought I'd mention it. It'd be amazing if they could pull dual stick movement, but I completely understand the need for easy accessibility to weapons/visors.

So there it is. Overall I did like the game, though it did annoy me during a few times
(the last platforming section before the last boss was EVIL.)
. As I said before, I ended up expecting more considering the critical acclaim, but in hindsight, it was a pretty good game and I was satisfied with it.

*Puts on Flame-retardant suit*

I didn't really mind finding the artifacts... mostly because I remember finding a good portion of them just by playing normally anyway.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Good assessment, however I didn't really feel the controls to be an type of impairment. I also didn't feel as though it was highly overrrated. Dual-analog as a secondary control scheme is seriously being considered for Echoes. Though in truth wouldn't have worked in many areas of Prime. (dark10x can explain) I have some comments directed at you in my RE4 silver lining thread btw.

It's not like the other Metroids aren't collecathons, anyways. Maybe not as much as Prime, but they still all revolved on searching for powerups, going back levels, finding the door to pass through, ect.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Semjaza Azazel said:
I didn't really mind finding the artifacts... mostly because I remember finding a good portion of them just by playing normally anyway.
Exaclty. While I don't think I had actually collected more than one or two before that, I remember visually noting areas of interest (ice in the chozo statue hand) that I would want to go back to and explore. That is what metroid is about. Seeing shit that you know is going to be cool when you have the tools to do it... then actually being able to remember ;)

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Glad you decided to finish the game. =)

You had more problems with the game than I did, but I can understand where you're coming from with all of them.

With the story for the next game... I'd honestly love it if they met you halfway. I'd love to learn more about Samus' past and have some elements of the story be more cinematic... but I also LOVED scanning things to learn part of the story. It made it feel like you were really discovering something and putting the pieces of a big puzzle together. Reading about the Chozo before and after their tragic experiences was brilliant... same with the Space Pirates going "oh crap The Hunter is owning us!" =)

AniHawk

- Presentation. Storyline. For me, unless the game is a puzzle/multiplayer/sports game, I just enjoy having a well developed storyline to follow. I like to be rewarded with really cool cutscenes that move and tie pieces of the storyline together. I would've absolutely loved having such a thing in MP. It would've been fantastic seeing things like Samus trying to remember from her past, as well as her enemies interacting in such a way that developed some sort of story. The whole 'scanning walls to uncover the story' was extremely dull for me.

I'm pretty sure she knows about her past (play Zero Mission or Fusion if you want a story in a Metroid game which doesn't involve scanning).

I'm not a huge fan of the game, but I did go through to see the 100% ending and I also loved the environments, graphics, bosses, and music. Controls didn't bother me since my last First-Person game in general was Perfect Dark. I guess I couldn't find a whole lot to keep me going besides that though. It never clicked with me. I think part of the reason was that I didn't care to scan anything pertaining to the story, so it made everything just that much more boring.

nubbe

Backtracking and collection is the kind of experience you signup to when you get a Metroid game, but that isn’t the whole story either. Its fun to me how you get to re-experience areas with new abilities.

But the 12 artifacts where most defiantly an unneeded addition that hampered progression… it came to a total halt for a few hours, which isn’t good.

I think its amazing how Retro managed to take the original concept and translate it quite flawlessly into 3D.
They have also stated that it was kind of a rush job… so that makes MP2E even more interesting, to see what they managed to achieve with more time and more experience.

My problem with the artifacts is that this has a buddy in the other 2 big gamecube adventure games.

Triforce hunt in Wind Waker.

Blue coin Hunt in Mario Sunshine.

At least you could totally ignore the blue coins. My prob with the other two games is the fetch quests were mandatory, and false length extenders. How about more dungeons in Zelda instead, or a new area before the final one in Prime? Even Sunshine needed a few more worlds with shines in them. Scouring the world to find some dumb crap you need to move on is lazy gamemaking. It kills pacing.

shibbs

The backtracking might suck but you will see new places while backtracking because you found new suit updrades. So that didnt make it terrible for me.

IJoel said:
(the last platforming section before the last boss was EVIL.)
. QUOTE]

I REALLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY/HOW PEOPLE CAN BE SO WEAKSAUCE. got past first go.

:yawn:

if there was ONE issue I can think of in MP it was that I somehow wandered into the water bit with no gravity suit. Spent like an hour to two there. PAINFUL. But that's just cause

a) I played with no hint system

b) the game design allowed that to happen and its there in most of the other metroid games

c) trudging is gawd awful.

That said. Metroid Prime of the Metroid Prime fame... the first time I saw it after seeing all the marvelousness of the gameworld/bosses = sir cum a lot. Fucking hell, that beast looked great. Probably the best game boss this gen

Deku Tree

IJoel said:
Weaknesses:
- Game Design. COLLECT-A-TON! Yes, it was only 12 artifacts, but still damn... I was running all over the place collecting the stupid artifacts and because of this, there was a lot of backtracking. Some people mention Halo as a bad example of backtracking and I partially agree. The main difference in this case is that it was a completely uninteresting repetitive experience doing this artifact search. Halo provided different scenarios when coming to these previously visited places and different circumstances as well (as, you know, how it fit into the storyline). MP had none of these elements to push me to continue on. This is what I found absolutely boring. A search for items just for the sake of collecting them. That's the only Halo comparison I'm making and i did it because I know people will bring it up and I thought I'd clear my stance on it.

- Controls. I don't have that much of an issue with the controls, but I feel that the controls impair the gamer during some boss fights and at times it just feels cheap. This is really a minor issue but I thought I'd mention it. It'd be amazing if they could pull dual stick movement, but I completely understand the need for easy accessibility to weapons/visors.

I felt that prime did have a well developed storyline to follow, more so than alot of modern cutscene based games. The problem was that you had to scan and read to follow it. I enjoyed reading the very well written blurbs about the backstory, the space pirates and samus but I can understand how many people would have a different opinion. That said, if you scan stuff there is a story behind the artifacts which is actually in some ways very similar to the reasons Halo motivates you to backtrack.

Also, as others have pointed out. Exploration and "backtracking" has been absolutely been a big part of metriod games ever since the first one.

That said, I believe that alot of people want cutscenes today and I think Nintendo and Retro would be wise to include more of that in their games. It's nice to know they're in Pikmin 2 and hopefully this is a trend.

As for the controls during boss battles... I totally disagree. First off, I think dual analog + boss fights is a terrible control scheme. I love dual analog for games like Halo, but I've never had a boss fight with that control scheme that I thought was any good (notice how Halo
doesn't have any bosses
). Secondly, and more importantly, if you use the lock on and strafe for boss battles, which is what Prime expects you to do, then the control scheme works incredibly well.

I think that dual analog could work for the rest of a Metroid Game, but for boss battles it would be terrible. Since huge boss battles are such a big part of any metroid game, I don't see how that control scheme would work for Prime in general.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Game Design. COLLECT-A-TON! Yes, it was only 12 artifacts, but still damn... I was running all over the place collecting the stupid artifacts and because of this, there was a lot of backtracking.

You seem confused on what a "collect-a-thon" really is. Typically, when one refers to such a game, that game includes large numbers of similar items which you must locate...but those items are typically tossed about the level in a seemingly random fashion. You simply must run aroud picking things up in order to proceed.

Prime's artifact hunts were set up more like the Stars in Mario 64. They simply represented an end point of a challenge. Did you notice that these artifacts were usually the end result of a challenge that you had to perform? These artifacts pretty much stood as a marker for the challenges you have completed.

I don't understand the problems with backtracking, though. The environments are all so interesting that I always found it quite enjoyable to simply re-visit various places I had previously been to. Of course, regardless of your feelings on that aspect...the game was never a "collect-a-thon".

Kon Tiki

Banned
Metroid is backtracking. The series had it long before anyone else.

When bringing Metroid to 3D, you have to still make it fell like a Metroid. One of those commonalities is backtracking.

I hope that makes sense.

anyhow.. the backtracking is exasperated if you didn't go into the zero centre temple at the start almost right off when you can get in - I only went in at the end of the game but by then I already had most of the chozo artifacts - in case you guys haven't noticed; MP is also about chucking missles and bombs every chance you get to discover the secrets.

+1 MP
-1 Weaksauce gamers

Tritroid

I can never understand why people automatically classify MP as a 'collect-a-thon' just because of the artifact hunt.

Collecting artifacts is like 5% of the total gameplay. :p

And as far as backtracking goes, if you expected something different in a Metroid game, look else-where. Since the original, that is what Metroid has been about. Returning to previous areas to unlock new paths with newly discovered abilities.

IJoel

Damn... attack attack attack...

There's no way of putting one's thoughts some people getting all riled up about it (second half of thread.)

I'll address a few comments:
- Collect-a-ton: I did mention that it was only 12 artifacts, but it was never really stated to you from the beginning, so by the end of the game, I still had to find about 7 artifacts, which were scattered all over the place and so I had to do lots of backtracking.

- Backtracking: This is tied up with the above comment, and many people comment that backtracking was a key part of original Metroid games. I agree. The thing is that, well, it's different in 3d as it's not nearly as fast to traverse the world as in 2D.

- Storyline/Presentation: Yes, I read all those wall messages and they were, well, insightful. I'm just saying that doing only that isn't the best way to portray a storyline. I beat the game with 75%, so it shows I scanned, all, if not most of those wall messages. Most of the things I missed were the bosses as I went into fighting mode the moment those scenes kicked in, and completely forgot about scanning.

- Last Platforming section: WTF? You fucking people attack others for everything. All games have sequences they could be better without. Yes, at the end, I went through the area without being touched, but it took me a quite a few repetitions to figure it out, and frankly, that area seemed pointless. Just like something to piss off the gamer. Another game I could cite a similar situation is the Arrow Zombies in Ninja Gaiden as you climbed the cave thingie.

Anyway...

xsarien

daedsiluap
The backtracking was arguably the best part of Metroid Prime. There are no levels, just new areas to explore and go back to later when you're actually prepared to face them. If you'd like to minimize the collecting, your best course of action is to, you know, try to grab the artifact the first time you're in an area. Sometimes you can, other times you can't. But the game makes it pretty damned easy to find them.

- Storyline/Presentation: Yes, I read all those wall messages and they were, well, insightful. I'm just saying that doing only that isn't the best way to portray a storyline. I beat the game with 75%, so it shows I scanned, all, if not most of those wall messages. Most of the things I missed were the bosses as I went into fighting mode the moment those scenes kicked in, and completely forgot about scanning.

Perfectly valid, but I like to think of it as Nintendo fully embracing the first person perspective. As far as the game design was concerned, you are Samus, and any cinematics that would push the story along would break the illusion. They wanted to make sure you felt like you were there, with no benefit of having stuff explained to you beyond having to read ancient Chozo texts and Space Pirate logs.

Alex

Controls and scanning absolutely ruined it for me, visor swapping didn't exactly make me happy either.

I believe I got around halfway through before I just stopped. I'm a Metroid fan, but there's no way I could've brought myself to finish it.

I was fine with the backtracking, exploration, etc, that's a lot of the fun. The visuals and music were great, and the first person viewpoint would've been perfect with more of an atypical setup.

I thought the HUD was terrible though. I like the concept of the visor view, but there's simply too much shit on it, IMO.

mosaic

go eat paint
Yeah, I didn't mind the FPS view, the artifacts, or even the tough end bosses... but all the visor swapping and scanning turned me off so much that after I beat Prime, I swore I wasn't going to get Prime 2 Echoes. I'm weaking on that SLIGHTLY, but I definitely won't be grabbing the game on release like I did with Prime. Hell, I've learned my lesson -- if you can't play a game within a month of release, wait to buy it until you can, because it'll drop to $20 or $30 real fast.

MrCheez

IJoel said:
Damn... attack attack attack...

You DO realize you're on the internet, right? :lol Don't take it personally. ;)

Seriously though, despite the fact that I didn't agree with everything you wrote, I always find it interesting seeing other people's takes on things. Thanks for the post!

MrCheez

To those of you saying "scanning and visor swapping" RUINED the game... I just don't get it. I can understand how you could not have been fond of it in general, but it got to you THAT much?

Both things were rarely 100% necessary, and could be utilized fairly easy and effortlessly at all times. I don't get it ><

Teddman

I can see how you could avoid scanning a lot, but there are many points in which you need to visor-swap to progress. Boss battles, the infrared visor in dark areas, scanning key doors/panel to activate them, etc.

And sure, one could just not scan things and miss out on the story, but that's also no fun in a way. What about folks who really want to hear the story & unlock the bonuses, but hate the necessary evil of constant scanning? That'd be me, and I reckon a lot of gamers.

mosaic said:
Yeah, I didn't mind the FPS view, the artifacts, or even the tough end bosses... but all the visor swapping and scanning turned me off so much that after I beat Prime, I swore I wasn't going to get Prime 2 Echoes. I'm weaking on that SLIGHTLY, but I definitely won't be grabbing the game on release like I did with Prime.
Me too, plus the annoyance of beam-swapping for pirates. I'm glad I finished the game though, it did have a helluva last couple hours.

Alex

Scanning and visor swapping weren't "effortless" they were chores. It's like the evils of the OoT Water Temple multipled x1000.

You had to scan absolutely everything. Otherwise you'd likely miss a story chunk, mythos, information, etc.

Switches as well, because after five hours in Prime, trying to fly through those scans, red and orange start to blend for me, espically with Primes mostly like-minded color scheme.

Plus, the fact that 95% of the data was completely and absolutely senseless or irrelevant to anything.

"Well, I've scanned 13 items in this room now, what does this one say, perhaps a storyblurb? Or some information about the area?"

"TURRET B ACTIVATED! 0.1234omgwtf.5678"

"Huh?"

So many scan points crammed into such tiny enviroments. Ugh, it was horrifying to enter a new room, and have to light up my scan visor and run around every nook and cranny and scan anywhere from 2-20 items per area.

Rather than to just enjoy the puzzles, exploration, slick enviroments/visuals, and even the platforming was pretty solid, same goes for combat even with lock on.

And trying to multi-task anything with scanning was simply clunky due to restrictive controls and tight platforming.

I could very honestly get over everything, even controls, except for scanning, I'm sorry, I wish I was exaggerating, but while I could complain about a lot of things, scanning flat assed ruined it for me.

Matlock

Banned
Alex said:
Scanning and visor swapping weren't "effortless" they were chores. It's like the evils of the OoT Water Temple multipled x1000.

You had to scan absolutely everything. Otherwise you'd likely miss a story chunk, mythos, information, etc.

Only if you wanted to chore after 100%, that is. You didn't have to do it.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Some people would rather watch a movie adaption of a book, others would rather read the book. Carries over into games too.

I personally do not mind reading, it is what makes it an adventure game IMO. As opposed to an Action game.

I didn't mind scanning in the game... However, I do feel that some of these complaints are addressed in the demo I've played of MP2. Scanning is seemingly sped up. The presentation is far more interesting and the color differences are far more pronounced (green, blue and red). Still, you have to change visors, so I guess people will find something not to like anyway.

Alex

"Only if you wanted to chore after 100%, that is. You didn't have to do it."

Missed my point entirely, did you even read it?

"I personally do not mind reading, it is what makes it an adventure game IMO. As opposed to an Action game."

Wasn't my problem either. Considering 95% of the games I play are RPG's or adventures, this would rarely crop up as a complaint of mine, barring when they do assinine things like shove cutscenes into the middle of shooter game levels. *cough*PDO*cough*

I apprecaite getting responses that aren't flames, but "reading things" isn't my problem with Prime.

Matlock

Banned
Alex said:
"Only if you wanted to chore after 100%, that is. You didn't have to do it."

Missed my point entirely, did you even read it?

Yes, and what I read was either "Holy crap, I can't tell the difference between light orange and bold red!" or "I've gotta get 100% Gotta be hardcore!"

You're a bit too jaded for your own good. :p

Alex

I'm not nearly as jaded as you think. And 100% completion ratio has never one been brought up with me.

I've been a Metroid fan since the NES one, and shit, I don't think I've ever bothered to sink through the fluff and get mostly pointless 100% score.

"You had to scan absolutely everything. Otherwise you'd likely miss a story chunk, mythos, information, etc."

..."the fact that 95% of the data was completely and absolutely senseless or irrelevant to anything."

"So many scan points crammed into such tiny enviroments. Ugh, it was horrifying to enter a new room, and have to light up my scan visor and run around every nook and cranny and scan anywhere from 2-20 items per area, it sapped a lot of the joy out of exploration it was done in such excess."

..."trying to multi-task anything with scanning was simply clunky due to restrictive controls and tight platforming."

I like Metroid's story, mythos, presentation, etc. That's why I mentioned the first bit, not even remotely concerned with completion ratio.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Though I actually got a kick out of scanning and delving into the mythos of MP (to an extent...Alex brings up a great point about how many of the logs were 'tech-heavy' drivel), however I can certainly relate to the entire problem of pacing.

To me it's very consistent with the issue of NPC's in various RPG's. I almost dread entering population heavy towns knowing that if I spend 20-30 minutes mashing X in front of every person, I'll be rewarded usually in some manner. Tales of Symphonia for example tosses an exuberant amount of optional sequences, character cutscenes, and occasional rewards for taking the time to 'scan' each NPC for info. Often a faq or walkthrough is required to know when and where these special NPC's reside at which point of the game. But there are plenty, and without help you are left filtering through a LOT of pointless blather that serves nothing other than to SLOOOW down gameflow.

Grandia almost killed my motivation for the charming RPG years ago as I ruthlessly scoured each villa for perky residential gossip. Ugh, that was too much.

I've come to love games of this type that toss away the convention of filling the streets with people that would actually care to stop and banter idly with some heavilly armed goon squad. PSO had the right idea, Dragon Quarter kept the game moving, Kotor...took me a year to finish with 40 hours on the clock. I blame NPC's.

etiolate

Banned
- Collect-a-ton: I did mention that it was only 12 artifacts, but it was never really stated to you from the beginning, so by the end of the game, I still had to find about 7 artifacts, which were scattered all over the place and so I had to do lots of backtracking.

Yeah, if you don't approach it as a Metroid game, where exploring is the hook then you'll have a lot to do at the end. At least exploring leads to cool new areas to discover.

I agree, that last platforming area is a bitch. Power bombing is a must to make it tolerable.

LAMBO

Could anyone post pics of the Metroid endings, i haven't played many of the newer ones, and can't remember the old ones very well. Thanks

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Scanning in Metroid Prime was almost completely optional. Saying it "ruined" the experience for you is ridiculous, since you could largely ignore it, except for the occasional switch or console.

Also, IJoel, the completion percentage by your save file does NOT include scans. It only includes items.

Alex

"Scanning in Metroid Prime was almost completely optional. Saying it "ruined" the experience for you is ridiculous, since you could largely ignore it, except for the occasional switch or console."

As far as I am concerned, liking this game in general is ridiculous, but that's life.

At least I can provide a lengthy, and very valid post on why. Rather than just acting like an atypical fanboyish ass with a vague, pointless point on how it's "ridiculous".

Also, as I noted, it's not the only reason I dropped it, but it played a big part.

Skipping the scanning entirely in prime is atypical to clipping all cutscene from action/adventures, and running through RPG's avoiding all townsfolk: No fucking thanks.

I'm done with the conversation however, so go ahead and keep abusing the Xenofan(tm) brand damage control: aka putting your fingers in your ears and screaming "nuh-uh!"

Deg

Banned
Alex said:
"Scanning in Metroid Prime was almost completely optional. Saying it "ruined" the experience for you is ridiculous, since you could largely ignore it, except for the occasional switch or console."

As far as I am concerned, liking this game in general is ridiculous, but that's life.

At least I can provide a lengthy, and very valid post on why. Rather than just acting like an atypical fanboyish ass with a vague, pointless point on how it's "ridiculous".

Also, as I noted, it's not the only reason I dropped it, but it played a big part.

Skipping the scanning entirely in prime is atypical to clipping all cutscene from action/adventures, and running through RPG's avoiding all townsfolk: No fucking thanks.

I'm done with the conversation however, so go ahead and keep abusing the Xenofan(tm) brand damage control: aka putting your fingers in your ears and screaming "nuh-uh!"

No. most of the scanning doesnt add much to the story. red scans now they always matter.

Mejilan

I wasn't speaking to you specifically, Alex. And I do not see what is so ridiculous about avoiding something in a game that annoys you, particularly since the developers were kind enough to MAKE that part of the game optional to begin with. Sorry I had to spell it out, however. My post was valid, just not lengthy. The two qualities don't necessarily go hand in hand. :)

I disagree with the level of import you seem to give the scanning element, however. I'll go out of my way to talk to townsfolk in RPGs, since they often bump you along your path. However, you really wouldn't miss much in Metroid Prime, except for some pseudo-scientific technobabble (which I admittedly liked), ESPECIALLY if you left the hint system running (which I didn't.) Really, I give props to Retro on just how unnecessary they made scanning in Metroid Prime. It's like they gave us the tools to customize just how "immersive" the experience should be. Want to minimize backtracking and exploration? Enable the hint system. Want to decrease or eliminate the visor feel? Lower the HUD's opacity... or kill it altogether. Don't want to be immersed in the characters, environments, or backstory to the nth degree? Ignore all "orange mark" scans, largely 95% of them, I'd say. Keen.

That said, I don't know if you've played the MP2E demo yet, but I think they fixed at least some of your complaints about scanning. Now, bringing up the visor will apply one of various color masks on ALL scannable objects in site, not just those within that small rectangular filter-view (which is still there.) So, bring up the scanning visor, and any object, anywhere on the screen, will show up in bright blue if it is an optional scan, bright green if it was previously scanned, and bright red if it is an important scan (such as a switch.) You still have to center the filter view rectangle on the object you want to scan, but the days of wildly swinging to and fro looking for the elusive "scan marks" are over.

Is that lengthy enough? :)

Mejilan

I wasn't going to comment on that, but now that you bring it up.

I don't tailor my purchases to public opinion, but I certainly wouldn't call liking a game that has managed a ~96% on GameRankings after what, a couple of dozen reviews, ridiculous, either. :)

I think he just felt a need to lash out at a "fanboy."

Alex

Goddamnit, I don't want to reply. Acting like an asshole so people avoid even responding to me, thus closing the conversation does not work liked it used to...And yeah, if you're going to call my posts ridiculous, I'm probably gonna slam you. :(

Anyway, I give up.

It was important to me I guess. I am a stickler for always knowing exactly what's going on, details, etc. The problem was, there was way too much drivel on-top the interesting bits, such as techno babble as quoted, and random other, mostly quaint observations.

Plus, while I am not a completionist anymore, If I see something, I gotta scan it. And that annoyed me. It was basicly just soul crushing to open a new door, and see a dozen little scan marks. As far as scanning is concerned, I didn't think I'd EVER get off the tutorial transport.

A large part of my disdain with the scanning is the visor swapping and the general lag/clunkiness that stems from that. Having to swap and switch control schemes everytime I leap up a few platforms can really be grating.

I'm so, so forgiving about minor bits, cameras, controls, etc in games. But the scanning and restrictive control scheme in Prime just, I dunno, I didn't wanna play anymore. I tried to go through Prime about 4 times, and I still own it as well. I rarely get past the Drifts before my interest starts to waver.

Personally, I'd be happy if they simply allowed a traditional, non-restrictive control scheme, and:

A) Removed the utterly useless scan bits and just left story, important enviromental detail and lore

B) Auto-scan and update it into a general upon glancing over an area/enemy, or eliminate the scan visor, ...or something.

Mejilan

*scratches head*

I already mentioned I wasn't speaking of or to you specifically, or of or to anyone specifically, for that matter.

I understand what you're saying, about once you see the scan marks you have to scan them... I'm pretty much the same way, and I AM somewhat of a completionist still, though like you perhaps, not as much as before. (Too many games, not enough time.)

But, I think Retro's compromise was fair. Have it in for those that dig it, but leave it optional for those that don't. Like I said before, leaving the experience somewhat customizable according to the tastes of the end-user.

Eliminating entirely a feature that's already almost entirely optional, just because it annoys a small percentage of the consumers... now I'm sure you must see that on some level, that IS ridiculous. :)

Edit - Err, skimmed the end of your post the first time (allergies getting to me.) Now I know you didn't mean to get rid of it entirely, so don't take the paragraph above to heart. Though, as I detailed above, the MP2E scanning mechanic is much improved... though perhaps you won't be THAT impressed with it, I'd wager.

BuddyC

Alex said:

Man Alex, I like you and all, but damn. You need the best hat back or something.

firex

Guys, I'm surprised you haven't accepted that everything Alex posts is either kissing ass to the other obscure console RPG fans or parroting whatever Drinky said months ago.

Nothing he says contributes meaning or insight to any forum topic, ever. I wish I was joking, but the guy's pretty much proven that he's into obscure console games for the sake of saying they're awesome because hardly anybody else has played them.

Back on topic. I played through Prime 3 times. Pretty cool the first time... the second time, I noticed it had some flaws I hope they improve on in the second game (like making visor and beam switching easier, and not required to do simple things like open doors, and putting in bigger secrets) and the third time my only additional gripes are that the game feels pretty boring on repeated playthroughs when you first land on Tallon IV, and getting 100% scans is annoying as hell due to some enemies being one-time-only in the game (and I don't mean bosses, I mean there are some cannon fodder guys that only appear once or twice in the entire game, and if you don't scan them the first time you can never get them).

AniHawk

Well, this thread got me to play Metroid Prime again- just the final segment and last boss.

That last actual area wasn't very hard, even though I haven't played the game in a year and a half, I was able to adjust to the controls easily. One thing I hoped for was strafing, as when you lock on, it's hard to move side to side quickly. Fortunately I remembered that side + B was a way to do this (and it must've been what Bryan Walker was trying to tell me as I was playing the Echoes demo), and made short work of that final boss.

That small replay didn't really change my opinion on the game though. Great graphics, great boss battles, great music, but nothing really clicked with me. I think it may have stemmed from thinking that the game would have turned out to be a turd that I never got that feeling out of my head.

Top Bottom