• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Law School & Lawyer GAF

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Ahhh, I see. Getting my CPA wouldn't mean that I would be solely attracted to tax, though. There's financial accounting, auditing & attestation, business concepts, and regulations (tax).

Any other focuses I should maybe look into judging by those four areas?

It all depends upon what you want to do. The end game if you want to be a tax attorney will be to get your LLM in Taxation. You'll learn more about the regs than you ever wanted to know.

PBY

Banned
Ahhh, I see. Getting my CPA wouldn't mean that I would be solely attracted to tax, though. There's financial accounting, auditing & attestation, business concepts, and regulations (tax).

Any other focuses I should maybe look into judging by those four areas?

The tricky thing about law school is that by the time you really can start picking classes/focusing in on the ares of law you really want... it may be too late to get a job. Especially if you wanna work in a firm.

When your interviewing for jobs as a 2L you won't have done much if any schooling in this niche focus areas. At least thats what I've heard from 2Ls- your focus in those areas will most likely have to come from summer internships/work, which might be extremely difficult to get.

It all depends upon what you want to do. The end game if you want to be a tax attorney will be to get your LLM in Taxation. You'll learn more about the regs than you ever wanted to know.
This as well.

I'd almost recommend you browse toplawschools.com casually... but that place might crush your soul. On the flip side, theres great advice on that site.

Rage Kage

Neo Member

I'm going to the new student orientation thing this Friday, so I'll have to check out their dual-degree programs. Thanks for the advice.

I have a feeling I will be frequenting this thread, but for now, time for bed :)

unintentional rhyme

Irnbru

Heh. Thats almost my exact same plan, going for CPA, then masters in taxation, then going for a law degree ( though I want accounting law not tax ) Though I plan to work a few years first at a firm while getting CPA/Masters

I'd almost recommend you browse toplawschools.com casually... but that place might crush your soul. On the flip side, theres great advice on that site.

Just went back and read my old posts there. I was definitely a lot less jaded and more naive, but I think I still came off as a rational human being. I'm rather proud of myself! That may have been due to the fact that I still feel like I got kinda lucky in the whole admissions process. I applied Early Decision and was done by November 18. Also, it was cute how I was concerned with socializing and thought the people were gonna be just like the people I knew in undergrad.

I'd suggest staying the hell away from that site. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
To those thinking about taking the plunge, look this over.

THE GO-TO LAW SCHOOLS
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?interactive=true&id=1202543436520
The U.S. economy began to rebound in 2011, but that was not enough to convince law firms to ramp up associate hiring. Most law schools sent smaller percentages of their 2011 classes into first-year associate jobs at the nation’s largest 250 law firms than they did in 2010. Among the 50 schools most popular with hiring firms, 22 percent of 2011 graduates landed associate jobs — down from 27 percent in 2010.

We’ve ranked the top 50 law schools by the percentage of 2011 juris doctor graduates who took jobs at NLJ 250 firms, the nation’s largest by headcount as identified by The National Law Journal's annual survey. We've also identified firm favorites — the schools where NLJ 250 firms recruited the most graduates. Finally, we have identified the law schools that saw the most alumni promoted to partner in 2011.

— Karen Sloan

Rank  Law school  No. of first-year associates at NLJ 250 firms  No. of J.D.s in 2011  % of 2011 graduates at NLJ 250 firms 
1 University of Pennsylvania Law School 156 274 56.93%
2 Northwestern University School of Law 149 286 52.1%
3 Columbia Law School 235 455 51.65%
4 Harvard Law School 285 583 48.89%
5 Stanford Law School 87 181* 48.07%
6 University of California, Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall) 140 305 45.9%
7 University of Chicago Law School 92 203 45.32%
8 Duke Law School 89 219* 40.64%
9 New York University School of Law 187 466 40.13%
10 University of Virginia School of Law 150 377 39.79%
11 Cornell Law School 72 188* 38.3%
12 University of Southern California Gould School of Law 68 207 32.85%
13 University of Michigan Law School 119 378 31.48%
14 Georgetown University Law Center 198 637 31.08%
15 Yale Law School 63 205 30.73%
16 University of California at Los Angeles School of Law 78 344 22.67%
17 Vanderbilt University Law School 43 195 22.05%
18 Boston College Law School 62 285 21.75%
19 University of Texas School of Law 82 382 21.47%
20 Fordham University School of Law 84 429 19.58%
21 Boston University School of Law 48 269* 17.84%
22 George Washington University Law School 92 518 17.76%
23 University of Notre Dame Law School 26 190 13.68%
24 Washington University School of Law (St. Louis) 42 315 13.33%
25 Washington and Lee University School of Law 16 126 12.7%
26 Emory University School of Law 28 225 12.44%
27 Yeshiva University Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law 45 380 11.84%
28 University of Washington School of Law 21 182 11.54%
29 University of Minnesota Law School 29 261 11.11%
29 University of Illinois College of Law 21 189 11.11%
31 Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law 28 272 10.29%
32 University of Houston Law Center 27 281 9.61%
33 West Virginia University College of Law 12 126* 9.52%
34 Wake Forest University School of Law 15 158 9.49%
35 University of California, Davis School of Law 17 195 8.72%
36 University of North Carolina School of Law 21 246 8.54%
37 University of California Hastings College of the Law 35 412 8.5%
38 University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law 12 142* 8.45%
39 Seton Hall University School of Law 24 293 8.19%
40 Rutgers School of Law-Newark 19 248 7.66%
41 Howard University School of Law 12 157* 7.64%
42 Villanova University School of Law 19 252 7.54%
43 University of Maryland School of Law 20 281 7.12%
44 University of Wisconsin Law School 18 254 7.09%
45 Samford University Cumberland School of Law 11 157 7.01%
46 Temple University James E. Beasley School of Law 22 319 6.9%
46 University of Alabama School of Law 12 174* 6.9%
48 Brigham Young University J. Reuben Clark Law School 10 148 6.76%
49 Brooklyn Law School 30 455 6.59%
50 University of Miami School of Law 25 385 6.49%
Rank  Law school  No. of first-year associates at NLJ 250 firms  No. of J.D.s in 2011  % of 2011 graduates at NLJ 250 firms 
*Graduate class size based on latest data from the ABA/LSAC Official Guide to Law Schools.

I assume this list doesn't take into account clerkships. COA clerkship is far more prestigious than an NLJ250 job.

Cagey

Banned
Just went back and read my old posts there. I was definitely a lot less jaded and more naive, but I think I still came off as a rational human being. I'm rather proud of myself! That may have been due to the fact that I still feel like I got kinda lucky in the whole admissions process. I applied Early Decision and was done by November 18. Also, it was cute how I was concerned with socializing and thought the people were gonna be just like the people I knew in undergrad.

I'd suggest staying the hell away from that site. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Oh ho ho. TLS is like an Ewok jamband festival compared to the Mos Eisley that is the Above the Law comments section... and AutoAdmit might as well be Kessel.

I don't like any of the three, but TLS is quite tame.

Pollux

Quick legal question:

I took a summer class a couple years ago (Summer 2010) and the dude I was rooming with left a small painting (16 in x 12 in) in the room when he left halfway through the summer.I found it under his bed and hung onto it. He called me and said he would get in touch and try and get it back. Fast forward to Summer 2011 when I graduated, I couldn't get in touch with him so my parents took it back home for safe keeping since I didn't have the room to hang on to it. Since then my parents moved twice, and we have no idea where the painting is. He just called and wanted to get the painting back.

Any legal problems here?

mre

Quick legal question:

I took a summer class a couple years ago (Summer 2010) and the dude I was rooming with left a small painting (16 in x 12 in) in the room when he left halfway through the summer.I found it under his bed and hung onto it. He called me and said he would get in touch and try and get it back. Fast forward to Summer 2011 when I graduated, I couldn't get in touch with him so my parents took it back home for safe keeping since I didn't have the room to hang on to it. Since then my parents moved twice, and we have no idea where the painting is. He just called and wanted to get the painting back.

Any legal problems here?

What is the value of the painting?

Quick legal question:

Any legal problems here?

It's breach of bailment. This will give you an idea where you stand:
http://www.ehow.com/about_5130634_bailment-duties.html

I love how a bunch of lawyers and Law students link to ehow! :-D

If I wasn't on my phone I would post my property outline section. Something about the scope of the bailment and whether or not there was gross negligence?

Pollux

If I wasn't on my phone I would post my property outline section. Something about the scope of the bailment and whether or not there was gross negligence?

Yea, I was gonna say that I don't think something being misplaced during a move would constitute gross negligence. I'll talk to my Prop. prof. on monday though just to make sure.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Breach of bailment? I barely knew her!

rodney_dangerfield1.jpg

Awesome. So you were you expecting me to write a detailed advice for him just for fun?

There are a number of reasons why you shouldn't give out your own advice on a public forum. And, at least, the ehow article is written in language he comprehends.

I wasn't saying it to be a dick! Hence the smiley. "A detailed advice" was not necessary, anyway. I just found it amusing, that's all.

Plus, he's a law student who should have learned this stuff already.

Pollux

I wasn't saying it to be a dick! Hence the smiley. "A detailed advice" was not necessary, anyway. I just found it amusing, that's all.

I'm a first year law student...and as has been made clear in other threads and in real life, first year students should not be trusted for real legal advice.

No worries, man. We cool.

1Ls should be forbidden from practicing law imo.

1L interns are the best. They have a certain cuteness about them (the chicks, that is) that they lose in later law school life........which turns them into stuffy bitches.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I actually love interns for the most part just really willing to do the gruntwork that more senior attorneys aren't with a real passion which is important.

I actually love interns for the most part just really willing to do the gruntwork that more senior attorneys aren't with a real passion which is important.

The hilarious part is they thank you for giving them the gruntwork.

But compared to investment bank interns, law interns have it quite easy, I think.

I am currently one of those interns, and begging for more this summer.

Are you female?

Interview tomorrow. Any advice?

Learn the Seven Ps.

Serious Edit:
google "questions asked during law interviews" and have prepared answers.

You answers should be honest and inventive.

E.g. Q: Why do you want to practice law?
A: "To drive a fast car and have sex with hot women" works better than "I want to change the world", because at the end of the day they just want somebody who is hard working.

adam.chance

Neo Member
I am looking for some tips to make myself more appealing to employers. Like many people, I am a graduating 3L with no prospects from a low ranked university. I went through some rough points in my life the last 4 years, but I got help and I am trying to make up for it now. I know I won’t get my dream job right away and I will need to work hard, but I am looking for some advice to get me started.

Resume questions:
I am Native American, at least enough so that I could get official status from the government and voting rights in my tribe
3AQmK.gif
. How can I work this fact into my resume? I hate using my heritage to get a job, but I dislike being out of work even more. I was thinking of making an interests section and putting something like, “Keeping current with the issues facing my tribe.” My resume is pretty full with work experience and education, so I would have to cut down on some things. I also don’t like the idea of having just one thing under a section, so I would need to put in another interest.

Currently, I am doing a study abroad program. While my credits transfer, my grades do not. Should I include separate GPA’s for each university or just do the math and boil it down to one cumulative GPA?

I have written a law review article that I currently have sent out to several journals, but I am still awaiting a response. What is the best way to word this on my resume?

Is it worth it to have any description for my non-legal work experience? I have had 3 legal internships. A non-profit, a judicial, and a private law internship. My only other job was a customer service supervisor at best buy for five years. This could free up space for my interest section.​

Other questions:
What are some skills that I can be developing now that would be useful or help me stand out? I speak conversational Japanese and French. My study abroad is in Tokyo. I have been working on that while I am here. Long-term, I would like to live in Japan or Europe for a few years at some point. Should I spend the time to bring one of those languages to fluency?

What else could I be doing with my time other than applying to whatever open positions I find? Write more law review articles?​

I am looking for some tips to make myself more appealing to employers. Like many people, I am a graduating 3L with no prospects from a low ranked university. I went through some rough points in my life the last 4 years, but I got help and I am trying to make up for it now. I know I won’t get my dream job right away and I will need to work hard, but I am looking for some advice to get me started.

Resume questions:
I am Native American, at least enough so that I could get official status from the government and voting rights in my tribe
3AQmK.gif
. How can I work this fact into my resume? I hate using my heritage to get a job, but I dislike being out of work even more. I was thinking of making an interests section and putting something like, “Keeping current with the issues facing my tribe.” My resume is pretty full with work experience and education, so I would have to cut down on some things. I also don’t like the idea of having just one thing under a section, so I would need to put in another interest.

Currently, I am doing a study abroad program. While my credits transfer, my grades do not. Should I include separate GPA’s for each university or just do the math and boil it down to one cumulative GPA?

I have written a law review article that I currently have sent out to several journals, but I am still awaiting a response. What is the best way to word this on my resume?

Is it worth it to have any description for my non-legal work experience? I have had 3 legal internships. A non-profit, a judicial, and a private law internship. My only other job was a customer service supervisor at best buy for five years. This could free up space for my interest section.​

Other questions:
What are some skills that I can be developing now that would be useful or help me stand out? I speak conversational Japanese and French. My study abroad is in Tokyo. I have been working on that while I am here. Long-term, I would like to live in Japan or Europe for a few years at some point. Should I spend the time to bring one of those languages to fluency?

What else could I be doing with my time other than applying to whatever open positions I find? Write more law review articles?​

1. If you know how to speak any NA languages you can list them or have done any charity work for NA organizations list that. If you don't, you always have the opinion of lying. Listing it as part of your interests sounds like you're trying to name-drop.

2. Maintain separate GPAs because it could raise the suspicion that you are trying to mislead your future employer.

3. One article isn't gonna sway most law firms opinion of you. If you feel strongly about it, you can lie and say it's coming out in a forthcoming issue (like in 3-6 months). If they quiz you about it later, say you are updating it because there have been some developments in that area. Btw, it's bad etiquette to send out the same article to multiple journals simultaneously.

4. You should only devote one line to any work totally unrelated to your law job. At the very least it shows you can maintain steady employment.

Eg. Best Buy - Customer Service Manager (2006-2011).

That's it.

5. No, because the level of language proficiency required to work in law in Japan can't be acquired without huge time and effort. France is different. Most American law firms in Paris deal in English and French. Everybody in the office speaks fluent English.

6. Do a Masters?

adam.chance

Neo Member
1. I get what you are saying. My tribe is in Oklahoma (thank you, government), but I will try to find someway to get something concrete going there, rather than just say, "I'm NA, please hire me because you stole my peoples land and you should fix it by giving me a job."

2. Makes total sense.

3. I feel good about the article, but I will word this carefully. Currently, I have it under work experience, but I was just thinking about moving it to "Honors and Achievements" under education. Any thoughts? I would just list the title of the article and say it is awaiting approval from publishers.

4. Again, makes total sense.

5. I guess this depends on where I start focusing my job search efforts. Since I am in Japan now, if I get something here on a short term contract, then I would push that the next few years, but I understand your points.

6. Not sure how I feel about this. I haven't thought about this option.

Thanks for your thoughts. It helps.

1. I get what you are saying. My tribe is in Oklahoma (thank you, government), but I will try to find someway to get something concrete going there, rather than just say, "I'm NA, please hire me because you stole my peoples land and you should fix it by giving me a job."

3. I feel good about the article, but I will word this carefully. Currently, I have it under work experience, but I was just thinking about moving it to "Honors and Achievements" under education. Any thoughts? I would just list the title of the article and say it is awaiting approval from publishers.

1. Here's what you do: set-up a blog documenting your experiences as a Native American student studying law. List it under interests. This is a subtle way to get the point across.

3. If the article is not in a peer reviewed journal, it really shouldn't be listed on a resume. If it is, it should be listed under a separate heading "Articles written published in peer-reviewed journals"

mre

3. If the article is not in a peer reviewed journal, it really shouldn't be listed on a resume. If it is, it should be listed under a separate heading "Articles written published in peer-reviewed journals"

Most, if not all, law reviews are not peer-reviewed, and it is perfectly acceptable to list articles published in law reviews on your resume.

mre

Surely they are. Peer-reviewed by academics. No?

Peer reviewed in scientific journals implies that the journal submits the article to various experts in the field who then critique the science in the article. Most law reviews only edit the grammar and fact-check the sources used by authors. Any substantive critiques generally occur prior to submission and acceptance of the article, and is done at the request of the author.

Peer reviewed in scientific journals implies that the journal submits the article to various experts in the field who then critique the science in the article. Most law reviews only edit the grammar and fact-check the sources used by authors. Any substantive critiques generally occur prior to submission and acceptance of the article, and is done at the request of the author.

Professional peer-review vs scholarly peer-review.

The Columbia Law Review reads and carefully considers every piece submitted for publication
http://www.columbialawreview.org/information/submissions

Also note the part that about non-acceptance of student papers.

mre

Professional peer-review vs scholarly peer-review.

http://www.columbialawreview.org/information/submissions

I would hope that they read and carefully consider each article that is submitted to them... however, that has nothing to do with the methodology of most law reviews in which the student editors are generally only concerned with the grammar, adherence to stylistic rules, and making sure that assertions are supported by their citations.

Also note the part that about non-acceptance of student papers.

What does Columbia's policy on not accepting student papers have to do with this? Clearly, adam.chance found a law review or three that do not have that same restriction.

I would hope that they read and carefully consider each article that is submitted to them... however, that has nothing to do with the methodology of most law reviews in which the student editors are generally only concerned with the grammar, adherence to stylistic rules, and making sure that assertions are supported by their citations.

I'm happy to agree to disagree with you on this point. However from personal experience, I have written six articles published in peer-reviewed journals and the only one that was rejected outright was from a college law review.

Also:

Scholarly peer review (also known as refereeing) is the process of subjecting an author's scholarly work, research, or ideas to the scrutiny of others who are experts in the same field, before a paper describing this work is published in a journal.

What does Columbia's policy on not accepting student papers have to do with this? Clearly, adam.chance found a law review or three that do not have that same restriction.

Implies a higher standard. How do you know where adam.chance has submitted his article?

mre

I'm happy to disagree with you on this point. However from personal experience, I have written six articles published in peer-reviewed journals and the only one that was rejected outright was from a college law review.

Also:

Implies a higher standard. How do you know where adam.chance has submitted his article?

You consider law students to be experts?

Just because Columbia's law review has higher standards for the articles that it accepts does not mean that the substantive arguments put forth in the articles that they publish undergo any sort of scrutiny by "experts" in that particular field of law. I am also not sure what the fact that a law review rejected your article has to do with this discussion. I am sure every law review in the nation rejects dozens if not hundreds of articles each year, and just because a law review rejects an article does not mean that the substantive arguments put forth in the articles that they rejected under went any sort of scrutiny by "experts" in that particular field of law.

I will readily admit that I made an assumption as to the type of publication that he submitted his article to. However, this is beside my original point, which is that most law reviews are not "peer reviewed journals," but it is still perfectly acceptable to list published or forth-coming law review articles on one's resume.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I second that law review is not peer review.

Any law GAF in the Richmond VA area? We may move there, and I may have to look for work. How's the health of the law market there?

You consider law students to be experts?

Just because Columbia's law review has higher standards for the articles that it accepts does not mean that the substantive arguments put forth in the articles that they publish undergo any sort of scrutiny by "experts" in that particular field of law. I am also not sure what the fact that a law review rejected your article has to do with this discussion. I am sure every law review in the nation rejects dozens if not hundreds of articles each year, and just because a law review rejects an article does not mean that the substantive arguments put forth in the articles that they rejected under went any sort of scrutiny by "experts" in that particular field of law.

I will readily admit that I made an assumption as to the type of publication that he submitted his article to. However, this is beside my original point, which is that most law reviews are not "peer reviewed journals," but it is still perfectly acceptable to list published or forth-coming law review articles on one's resume.

How does rejecting students submissions not indicate a higher standard of journal? Oh and SJD and Masters students are more "expert" than your average ambulance-chasing attorney.

But since you conveniently ignored my first point in reply, I don't feel compelled to address the rest of your post. Moreover, you haven't bothered to cite a single authority that suggests "most law reviews are not peer-reviewed".

Top Bottom