• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Law School & Lawyer GAF

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
How does rejecting students submissions not indicate a higher standard of journal?
I can see that you quoted my reply, but I'm not sure that you actually read it, so here it is again:
Just because Columbia's law review has higher standards for the articles that it accepts . . . .
I clearly stated that Columbia's law review adheres to a higher standard for the articles that it publishes.
Oh and SJD and Masters students are more "expert" than your average ambulance-chasing attorney.
Of course, but the vast, vast majority of law review editors are 2L and 3L law students, so this point seems to be more than just a tad bit disingenuous.
But since you conveniently ignored my first point in reply, I don't feel compelled to address the rest of your post. Moreover, you haven't bothered to cite a single authority that suggests "most law reviews are not peer-reviewed".
I haven't ignored a single point you have made. You seem to have a fundamental inability to understand what "peer-reviewed" means. You posted the definition, but you are failing to understand what you posted, so here it is again:
Scholarly peer review (also known as refereeing) is the process of subjecting an author's scholarly work, research, or ideas to the scrutiny of others who are experts in the same field, before a paper describing this work is published in a journal.
Here's how publishing a paper in a peer-reviewed journal works. The author submits the manuscript to the journal, either as a solicited or unsolicited manuscript, and the journal decides whether to reject it or accept it, pending review. If it is accepted, then the manuscript is passed on for review by a panel of experts in that particular professional field, who then scrutinize the paper's ideas, methodology, and findings. These critiques, if they point out detrimental flaws in the paper, will then be passed back to the author who can then decide if he or she wants to incorporate those critiques into his or her paper and then resubmit it for publication.

In most law reviews, the author submits a manuscript to the law review, either solicited or unsolicited, which the law review editors decide whether or not they want to publish that article. If they chose to publish it, then the article is assigned to certain members of the law review staff to verify that the sources cited state what the author says they do, and to check the style and grammar of the piece.

Here are two lists that show "student-edited" law reviews: http://www.lexisnexis.com/lawschool/prodev/lawreview/StudentEdited200611.htm and http://www.lexisnexis.com/lawschool/prodev/lawreview/SpecialFocus200611.htm . Note that this includes Columbia's law review.

Now, as I said, most law reviews follow the "student-edited" method. There are, however, a few that function as an actual peer-reviewed journal: http://www.lexisnexis.com/lawschool/prodev/lawreview/non-student.htm

As I said, the vast majority of law reviews are not peer-reviewed.

Been there, done that. Had literally the EXACT same experience. I even had a big deal prof recommending me to people he knew... Shit sucks. I also kinda feel like it's a sign that there's something wrong with me. My OCS advisor seems to think I'm just in a somewhat unique position because my experience is rather niche and hard to market. She's usually straight forward with me and tells me when I'm fucking up so I at least feel ok hoping she's right. (O and my GPA is just mediocre) Seriously, first one of us to find a job is sending the other one cookies. ;)

Haha, most definitely! My wonderful new issue that's spazzing me out is the fact that I've got a very small lead on a job...however it's in a different state than where I just applied to the bar. And of course, the bar fee is non-refundable. Now granted, if I get a job in another state, it's a job and I will be completely thrilled. It's just irritating to think that there is a small possibility that I'm going to have to go through the wonderful process of applying to another state, and losing my fee from the state I'm currently applied to. Oy.

mre

Haha, most definitely! My wonderful new issue that's spazzing me out is the fact that I've got a very small lead on a job...however it's in a different state than where I just applied to the bar. And of course, the bar fee is non-refundable. Now granted, if I get a job in another state, it's a job and I will be completely thrilled. It's just irritating to think that there is a small possibility that I'm going to have to go through the wonderful process of applying to another state, and losing my fee from the state I'm currently applied to. Oy.

Biggest pain in the ass about the job search as an attorney. My condolences, but I hope it works out for you.

I haven't ignored a single point you have made. You seem to have a fundamental inability to understand what "peer-reviewed" means. You posted the definition, but you are failing to understand what you posted, so here it is again:

Here's how publishing a paper in a peer-reviewed journal works.

I stated there's a distinction between professional peer review and scholarly peer review. You completely ignored this point.

Since I'm certain I've had more articles published in peer reviewed journals than you have, there's nothing you tell me about the peer review process that I don't already know.

mre

I stated there's a distinction between professional peer review and scholarly peer review. You completely ignored this point.
Actually, all you said was:
Professional peer-review vs scholarly peer-review.
Since you failed to expound upon this, I did not find anything there to actually respond to, especially as, again, the vast majority of law reviews do not utilize any sort of peer-review process.
Since I'm certain I've had more articles published in peer reviewed journals than you have, there's nothing you tell me about the peer review process that I don't already know.
Congratulations?

I can apparently tell you that the vast majority of law reviews are not peer-reviewed journals, either professional or scholarly. I even provided a series of links--at your request--to support this.

PBY

Banned
Starting outline for finals yesterday. I can't begin to express how much I HATE the fact that finals are starting up again. I don't wanna be whiny law school kid, but fuck.

Pollux

Starting outline for finals yesterday. I can't begin to express how much I HATE the fact that finals are starting up again. I don't wanna be whiny law school kid, but fuck.

I'll be starting mine on Tuesday once the NCAA Championship game is out of the way...I haven't been able to focus at all with UK playing in the Final Four and then the game tomorrow.

An update on the summer job search... the firm I interviewed at 2 weeks ago called me and they want to do a follow up interview tomorrow. Should find out if I get the internship or not....This is the only firm to give me an interview out of all my applications/resumes. Hope it goes well.

PBY

Banned
I'll be starting mine on Tuesday once the NCAA Championship game is out of the way...I haven't been able to focus at all with UK playing in the Final Four and then the game tomorrow.

An update on the summer job search... the firm I interviewed at 2 weeks ago called me and they want to do a follow up interview tomorrow. Should find out if I get the internship or not....This is the only firm to give me an interview out of all my applications/resumes. Hope it goes well.

Swag out bro, you're gonna get it.

When are your finals btw?

edit: Duke losing so early really has helped my productivity lol

Pollux

Swag out bro, you're gonna get it.

When are your finals btw?

edit: Duke losing so early really has helped my productivity lol

First day is May 2.

I think that leaves me with enough time to review for everything.

Yea, I know how you feel. If UK had lost a few weeks ago I would have started outlines and reviewing already.

Oh well. A month should be enough time...I only started a week before exams in the first semester.

mre

Warning for future lawyers: if you are only a contract attorney hoping to latch on with your firm, do not refer to your clients as assholes, even if they are, if you are in a location where those customers could potentially overhear your comment.

Pollux

Congrats!

Whoo! Congrats!

Post-grad employment job search continues. Bar apps in. Graduation a month and a half away. Future seems imminent. Kinda scary.

Congrats. Great feeling, huh?

WOOOOOOOOOOO!
congrats man

Thanks guys. Feels great. I didn't think I was going to get it when the partner told me they don't hire 1L's but he said I really impressed the two associates I met with two weeks ago and they went to bat for me. Hope I don't let them down and screw up or something this summer.

Dude Abides

Banned
Someone thinks law reviews are peer-reviewed in the sense it is normally used? Lol.

Congrats zmoney. I'm sure it was my insightful advice of "get your resume out there ASAP" that landed you that paid internship.

For the one person who cares about my abetting perjury issue, firm ethics committee and I decided that we have to write a letter to the judge, that I will sign, saying his testimony was inaccurate and the transcript should be amended. I suggested that we just have the guy show up to chambers wearing a big foam cowboy hat that says "I'M A FUCKING LIAR" on it but we decided a letter would be more appropriate. He has to approve the letter, of course. Can't wait for the next meeting with this client.

Pollux

Someone thinks law reviews are peer-reviewed in the sense it is normally used? Lol.

Congrats zmoney. I'm sure it was my insightful advice of "get your resume out there ASAP" that landed you that paid internship.

For the one person who cares about my abetting perjury issue, firm ethics committee and I decided that we have to write a letter to the judge, that I will sign, saying his testimony was inaccurate and the transcript should be amended. I suggested that we just have the guy show up to chambers wearing a big foam cowboy hat that says "I'M A FUCKING LIAR" on it but we decided a letter would be more appropriate. He has to approve the letter, of course. Can't wait for the next meeting with this client.

Well the advice lit a fire under my ass and got me moving, so thank you for that!

I vote for the cowboy hat.

mre

Nope. I'll take that as a "yes" then I guess....

My career services office was pretty down on the idea.

On the one hand, it doesn't make your resume shine. On the other hand, food. Plus, at some point having a huge gap post-graduation is going to start looking worse than having "paralegal experience" on your resume.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So there's a paralegal position in an office I'd really like to work in. The description seems more substantive than a lot of others. Should I apply?

No. You have a JD. Besides, the firm likely knows you'd split the moment a new job arrived.

No. You have a JD. Besides, the firm likely knows you'd split the moment a new job arrived.

It's in a government office that handles admin hearings that I've worked on from another angle in the past and I KNOW has a ton of turnover. The nice thing about the paralegal job is it doesn't have the bar passage requirement that makes gov't hiring a pain in the ass. I'd also have the inside track on any openings....

I know the argument against it, but this seems like a relatively unique situation.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
A government job with a high rate of turnover? Huh. That does seem like a relatively unique situation.

A government job with a high rate of turnover? Huh. That does seem like a relatively unique situation.

The attorneys move to other divisions because apparently everyone hates this division, but I have a lot of experience with what they do post-decision, so it seems like a pretty natural fit.

Law-GAF? If the cops think that you were smoking weed, and you were just smoking cigarettes, and they stop you, do you have to undergo questioning or anything?

You really need more facts, but generally you don't have to say anything to them. That doesn't mean they can't detain and/or arrest you and try to question you. But you don't have to answer any questions, and it is usually best not to.

Like, my friends were smoking cigarettes, and someone reported some people smoking weed. When they were coming inside, the cops stopped them and ordered them to sit down on the floor. They then questioned them for about half an hour.

What could they have done, legally, at that point?

Dude Abides

Banned
Like, my friends were smoking cigarettes, and someone reported some people smoking weed. When they were coming inside, the cops stopped them and ordered them to sit down on the floor. They then questioned them for about half an hour.

What could they have done, legally, at that point?

Said "are we under arrest or are we free to go?" If answer is not under arrest, leave. If answer is you're under arrest, refuse to answer questions and ask to speak to a lawyer.

Also should have said we do not consent to cops coming in without a warrant.

Pollux

How was everyone's spring semester? Everyone ready for exams? Have internships lined up? Jobs (for real world law-GAF)?

Trying really hard not to fail out in my last three weeks. Not so sure if I can accomplish that goal. So frustrating. Stress out for a month just so I can get back to unemployment. Fuck this. I hate life and this was the worst decision I have ever made. I'm not even one of the people that hates the legal field as a profession.

mre

Trying really hard not to fail out in my last three weeks. Not so sure if I can accomplish that goal. So frustrating. Stress out for a month just so I can get back to unemployment. Fuck this. I hate life and this was the worst decision I have ever made. I'm not even one of the people that hates the legal field as a profession.

It gets better. Just keep plugging away at it. And try not to fail your last semester.

Bboy AJ

Just keep at it. Don't give up. What's a few more months, including the bar, after all this work?

Don't let the stress get you down. Just keep in mind - the majority of hiring outside of big law is done in the summer before/after taking the bar. My school's job posting site has been mostly dead for 3Ls for the last few months and it has really exploded just in the last two days with postings. Most places don't know for sure if they'll have an opening or the budget for another associate at this point. You've got a lot more stress coming up with taking the bar exam, so just focus right now on passing your classes and graduating. One thing at a time. Just think - in a year's time, we will be like the other awesome posters in this thread, talking about our awesome (or terrible) jobs and giving out advice to stressed out law students.

Edit: Just noticed brucewaynegretzky is banned! Assuming he asked for it so he could focus on studying. Probably a good idea, but yeah...not doing that. :)

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Holy shit.

I'm the only attorney in my company. At the moment.

But my coworkers ask me fairly ridiculous questions.

"Hey, you know that Nutella lawsuit? You think I could sue a beer company for making me fat?"

"Hey, if I slip on the ice in front of my house, can I sue my HOA?"

"Can you help out with my divorce papers?"

"What does rape really mean, anyway?"

ugh, i've become very, very cynical of this field in the UK. the fact that you need 10k to do the LPC, leads all the rich kids who get mommy and daddy to subsidise them to do it, and then get employed.

i don't know any former working-class solicitors here, i was doomed from the start, not sure what i was thinking doing a law degree...

oh well at least it's transferable! anyone got any ideas on what else to do after uni?

i've been going back and forth a lot, but I finally landed on dropping out after this semester. I have 12 credits left, but it wouldn't really be over until after the Bar in February (have to go in the fall for a required course, which I was told by admin would be offered in the summer for sure, but nnnnope!) Even then, I'd be taking the Bar exam knowing I won't be going into practice, knowing I won't keep up on CLEs and lose the license whenever my time's up, knowing I wouldn't retake it if I failed the test, and basically without any motivation and conditioned to hate the industry via my school and fellow students. Already got plan B going (comp sci degree I should've pursued in the first place, since all I do is that shit on my free time), so fuck iittttttt.

I even got all fired up about getting a librarian degree to become a legal librarian as an alternative legal career. Turns out the librarian grad programs are expanding enrollment for a not-so-hot market also, grrrrreat! And law students are starting to flood in because they're as fucked as I. Just seems like a bad deal all around. I didn't go through this to enter into another trial-by-fire in the job market...guess that makes me entitled, oh well.

but hey, I learned about a million meta-lessons and have come out of it a better reader, writer, listener, etc.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
You should direct that question to Whoopi Goldberg.

I had to tell the fool to stop before he gave details. I straight up said, "I'm not your attorney. If you admit to something to me that I feel is the definition of a crime, I will report this to the police."

Part of me feels I should've listened, and reported him to the police if it was true.

I had to tell the fool to stop before he gave details. I straight up said, "I'm not your attorney. If you admit to something to me that I feel is the definition of a crime, I will report this to the police."

Part of me feels I should've listened, and reported him to the police if it was true.

Yeah, but you know you'd have to deal with the ethics complaint the shit would file.

Bboy AJ

If I only had 12 credits left, I'd just finish it. Wouldn't take the bar, though.

If I only had 12 credits left, I'd just finish it. Wouldn't take the bar, though.

it sounds like jack shit to finish, but it's an extra 7 months due to a required course only being offered in the fall + over $10k I could use on the next step. Not to mention, I am seriously, seriously defeated and can't work well knowing I'm throwing away more time and money. I've weighed out the factors and talked with the next school I'm targeting, all signs point to "fuck it."

Turning in the withdrawal notice this afternoon!

Top Bottom