• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Law School & Lawyer GAF

So I just registered for my 1st year courses for September.

7 mandatory courses in the fall semester and 6 in the winter? Holy shit. Da fuq did I get myself into?
It's not that hard. Don't go nuts briefing cases. Most can already be found in one way or another along with outlines keyed to the books (nyu laws student council has a decent free page) It's the same as any other class you've taken...except tax cause that shit involves math!

Pollux

So I just registered for my 1st year courses for September.

7 mandatory courses in the fall semester and 6 in the winter? Holy shit. Da fuq did I get myself into?
Just stay as caught up as you can, get the supplemental books that have all the case briefs in them, sign up for BARBRI bc their review lectures are awesome, Calimari and Perillo on Contracts, Glannon Guide to Civil Procedure, and start outlining early.

Oh yea...drink a lot.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Just stay as caught up as you can, get the supplemental books that have all the case briefs in them, sign up for BARBRI bc their review lectures are awesome, Calimari and Perillo on Contracts, Glannon Guide to Civil Procedure, and start outlining early.

Oh yea...drink a lot.

That's a crazy amount of effort. I don't think I ever outlined a course - I just bought them off the internet or begged people for them.

Pilgor

Administrative Process take home 24 hour exam. 6,000 words. Fuck.

This is a start.

599632_10100896422170070_1513200983_n.jpg

That's a crazy amount of effort. I don't think I ever outlined a course - I just bought them off the internet or begged people for them.

I usually make my own short outline off of a bunch of friends'/commercial outlines. I find that helps me get all the info into my head in the few days before the exam. Otherwise, I do as little work as possible. I briefed everything for the first few months...what a mistake and waste of time.

However, I think everyone needs to learn that for themselves. If I took my own advice, I would have probably done much worse 1L year. You need to just find out what balance of work is right for you.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Have any of you started, or thought about starting, your own firm?

Thankfully, I didn't have to go this route, but if you want some unsolicited advice, if you decide to hang your own shingle, get to know the court clerks and always, always be polite with them.

Thankfully, I didn't have to go this route, but if you want some unsolicited advice, if you decide to hang your own shingle, get to know the court clerks and always, always be polite with them.

Well, I don't plan on being the type of attorney that litigates. All of my experience is in "entertainment law" and transactional law (film acquisition and distribution, stuff like that).

paskowitz

LawGAF I need your help. Without going into details this is the problem:

- Person enters contest (multiple stages) with rules stating that contestants are not eligible if they have been "convicted" (no mention of charged) of a felony.

- Person enters contest with a "pending" felony charge against them (death threat).

- Court date is "after" the contest is over. However, his eligibility must be decided immediately (3 days).

- There options are??? IE they could plead guilty (felony charge), fight it and win (no charge), or fight it and lose (felony charge).

- Person wins initial stage and moves on to stage 2/3

- Person is disqualified because of "pending charge"

Does his limbo make him a felon? Does the contest holder have the right to DQ him? What if anything can be done about this.

For more context please visit this link.

YoungHav

Banned
do you fellers have any tips for writing depositions? Never did one in school and currently working on an employment discrimination matter.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
LawGAF I need your help. Without going into details this is the problem:

- Person enters contest (multiple stages) with rules stating that contestants are not eligible if they have been "convicted" (no mention of charged) of a felony.

- Person enters contest with a "pending" felony charge against them (death threat).

- Court date is "after" the contest is over. However, his eligibility must be decided immediately (3 days).

- There options are??? IE they could plead guilty (felony charge), fight it and win (no charge), or fight it and lose (felony charge).

- Person wins initial stage and moves on to stage 2/3

- Person is disqualified because of "pending charge"

Does his limbo make him a felon? Does the contest holder have the right to DQ him? What if anything can be done about this.

For more context please visit this link.
Your friend plead guilty to a felony with the condition that if he stays out of trouble for three years the judge will dismiss the charges. The charges are not "pending."

http://m.nbc29.com/default.aspx?pid...plea-deal?redirected=true&clienttype=rssstory

If he is really concerned about it, he should talk to a local attorney about it asap.

Got an interview finally! Came about in a really awesome way too. Gotta go in next Tuesday.

Don't want to say too much about it, but it really would be a dream job if it goes well. Unfortunately, I never actually applied to any listing at this place so I'm somewhat unclear as to what they're considering me for.... if anything. I could walk in there and it turns out to just be an informational. This is making it somewhat difficult to prepare for....

O and I've never done depositions, but whenever I've done interrogatories I've always made sure to ask all the questions that were asked of my client back at the opposing party then added any questions that I thought would lead to relevant information. The most useful thing for me was to go through the complaint and ask for any facts alleged and write questions asking for expanded explanations of alleged facts or proof beyond the statements in the complaint.

Pollux

Congrats BWG!!!

And yea, OCI is stressting me out and I'm writing cover letters right now. Have I ever mentioned that I hate cover letters?

Got an interview finally! Came about in a really awesome way too. Gotta go in next Tuesday.

Don't want to say too much about it, but it really would be a dream job if it goes well. Unfortunately, I never actually applied to any listing at this place so I'm somewhat unclear as to what they're considering me for.... if anything. I could walk in there and it turns out to just be an informational. This is making it somewhat difficult to prepare for....

O and I've never done depositions, but whenever I've done interrogatories I've always made sure to ask all the questions that were asked of my client back at the opposing party then added any questions that I thought would lead to relevant information. The most useful thing for me was to go through the complaint and ask for any facts alleged and write questions asking for expanded explanations of alleged facts or proof beyond the statements in the complaint.

Best of luck. You got this!

Any rising 2ls concerned about OCI? Ours is next week

Yes. We do blind bidding, and some of the interviews I got left me wondering, "why the hell did I waste a bid on this automatic no call!?!" Ah well, I guess I'll get good practice with visibly annoyed attorneys conveying that I'm wasting their time.

Wow, I was just thinking of my time in law school, and then I see this thread. I graduated in '07 (I think), passed the NY bar and did some real estate work that I hated. Now working as an analyst for an Ivy League IRB (research ethics committee). Probably not as much money as I might get in a firm, but at least I like my life and I feel like I'm doing something meaningful.

Good luck with your interviews and such dudes! Don't be afraid to abandon the law.

PBY

Banned
Best of luck. You got this!

Yes. We do blind bidding, and some of the interviews I got left me wondering, "why the hell did I waste a bid on this automatic no call!?!" Ah well, I guess I'll get good practice with visibly annoyed attorneys conveying that I'm wasting their time.
Blind bidding? Not sure that I know what that is, is that like a 100% lottery w/o screeners? Cuz that's what we have, we just finalized how many interviews we got.
Congrats BWG!!!

And yea, OCI is stressting me out and I'm writing cover letters right now. Have I ever mentioned that I hate cover letters?
That sucks- our OCI is early so I'm hoping that comes thru and I'll mass mail as a last resort

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
You guys doing OCI... I wonder if any of you will be sitting across from me at any point... just bring up NEOGAF to all of your interviewers and YOU'RE IN.

Seriously, good luck! Remember, always have an answer for "why our firm".

Cagey

Banned
I just got another yesterday. I applied over 8 months ago. At the point I've gotten the message. You can just let it die...

Never! In this profession, you must constantly and consistently receive reminders of just how unqualified and unwanted you are.

Next week I have to go through the process of mailing out a set of NJSC clerkship applications. Here's to the off chance that my recommendation writers don't prove too difficult to track down.

Never! In this profession, you must constantly and consistently receive reminders of just how unqualified and unwanted you are.

Next week I have to go through the process of mailing out a set of NJSC clerkship applications. Here's to the off chance that my recommendation writers don't prove too difficult to track down.

They should add a new section to the LSAT where the proctor comes up and kicks you in the groin and then measure how long you wrench in pain. I believe this will provide a high correlation with ability to endure law school.

Good luck. I've heard good things about the experiences people have had with the NJSC. See if you can get a prof to make a call if they know one of them. I've also heard its very common to get through relationships unfortunately.

MechaX

Welp, now I can say that I officially represented the United States in Federal Court.

In law school, it's about the little victories.

PBY

Banned
You guys doing OCI... I wonder if any of you will be sitting across from me at any point... just bring up NEOGAF to all of your interviewers and YOU'RE IN.

Seriously, good luck! Remember, always have an answer for "why our firm".

Thanks for the advice- are you interviewing this year for sure/have you interviewed before? If you don't mind me asking.... What is the biggest mistake you've seen interviews? Also, if you don't mind me asking (don't wanna out you) what general area are u interviewing for (ie NY, Cali, Midwest?)

Good luck! Keep the thread updated

Thanks man- does your school do on campus interviews/ how does your lottery/bid system work?

As far as me, I got my final count today- 35 interviews out of the lottery. Feel nervous, seems like a crazy amount.

Cagey

Banned
Thanks for the advice- are you interviewing this year for sure/have you interviewed before? If you don't mind me asking.... What is the biggest mistake you've seen interviews? Also, if you don't mind me asking (don't wanna out you) what general area are u interviewing for (ie NY, Cali, Midwest?)

Thanks man- does your school do on campus interviews/ how does your lottery/bid system work?

As far as me, I got my final count today- 35 interviews out of the lottery. Feel nervous, seems like a crazy amount.

Jesus Christ. I knew of people who reached that total after grabbing interviews from the same-day signup, but 35 from bidding?

PBY

Banned
Jesus Christ. I knew of people who reached that total after grabbing interviews from the same-day signup, but 35 from bidding?
I got lucky, yeah just from bidding (including our wait list period). Was a combo of strategic bidding + luck + good advice from career services.

Blind bidding? Not sure that I know what that is, is that like a 100% lottery w/o screeners? Cuz that's what we have, we just finalized how many interviews we got.

Yea, it's first pass lottery. Then firms always reserve space on their "shadow schedule" for screener interviews. Top 20 bids on your list automatically see your resume.

Any last minute interview advice?

Any good OCI stories yet? I remember developing a pretty strong hatred for my interviewers by the end of it.

Also, Random any word back from the place you interviewed at during bar prep?

PBY

Banned
Any last minute interview advice?

Any good OCI stories yet? I remember developing a pretty strong hatred for my interviewers by the end of it.

Also, Random any word back from the place you interviewed at during bar prep?

Have my first day of OCI interviews tomorrow. Will report back, should be crazy, I have 12 tomorrow I think.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
On my most recent exam I was cruising along until I got a question about some 25 page long article by Richard Posner which I hadn't really read since it was nonsensical economic rationality shit.

If you're doing a screener with an office that has multiple interviewers at any given time, is there any significance to whether or not you're interviewed by a partner, counsel, senior, or junior associate?

Everytime I read this thread I always have that feeling that I can't wait to go to law school. Of course I still have to do those damn LSATs in October just so I can hit the ED deadline.

Top Bottom