• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Law School & Lawyer GAF

Well after a year of experience at working at a law firm, I decided to dive into taking the LSATs either this October or December, aiming to get into law school by fall of 2013. Which practice materials did you find beneficial to you and possibly could you recommend any ones more than others?

Well after a year of experience at working at a law firm, I decided to dive into taking the LSATs either this October or December, aiming to get into law school by fall of 2013. Which practice materials did you find beneficial to you and possibly could you recommend any ones more than others?

Powerscore. If you can't afford a class (it's worth it though) get the Powerscore Bibles. By the time you take the test you should be acing logic games. The rest of the test is much more difficult to improve on. By the time you take the actual test you should have taken AT LEAST three FULL LSATs under timed conditions. By the time you get to the test you should realistically know within about an 8 point range what your score will be. It's a lot of work, but if you go in prepared you will be able to laugh at all the people around you who have no idea what they're getting into.

Powerscore. If you can't afford a class (it's worth it though) get the Powerscore Bibles. By the time you take the test you should be acing logic games. The rest of the test is much more difficult to improve on. By the time you take the actual test you should have taken AT LEAST three FULL LSATs under timed conditions. By the time you get to the test you should realistically know within about an 8 point range what your score will be. It's a lot of work, but if you go in prepared you will be able to laugh at all the people around you who have no idea what they're getting into.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did you take to prep for your LSATs (split into months/days/hours) and how did you end up doing on it? I know it differs from person to person but I just want to get some kind of realistic idea instead of telling myself I'm going to get a 170+ in 4 months :p

If you don't mind me asking, how long did you take to prep for your LSATs (split into months/days/hours) and how did you end up doing on it? I know it differs from person to person but I just want to get some kind of realistic idea instead of telling myself I'm going to get a 170+ in 4 months :p

I spent about three months, but it was a summer break/beginning of the semester during undergrad so the LSAT was pretty much my life then. Most of my prep was actually structured around my Powerscore class though. I had actually just moved in with my ex a few months prior to when I began studying. I bored the shit out of her talking about that damn test. In the end I improved my score significantly. It wasn't a TON of points but it greatly changed the range of schools I was applying to.

Also, I'd suggest taking a diagnostic test without looking at the exam AT ALL. Kaplan will actually do this for free I think. I know they do it at most major universities. That will give you an opportunity to see what your baseline score is to improve upon.

EDIT: More importantly, I don't really recognize you from NHL-Gaf even with that avatar. Leafs-Age doesn't really need to get any bigger, but you guys are always good for a few laughs during the season.

I spent about three months, but it was a summer break/beginning of the semester during undergrad so the LSAT was pretty much my life then. Most of my prep was actually structured around my Powerscore class though. I had actually just moved in with my ex a few months prior to when I began studying. I bored the shit out of her talking about that damn test. In the end I improved my score significantly. It wasn't a TON of points but it greatly changed the range of schools I was applying to.

Also, I'd suggest taking a diagnostic test without looking at the exam AT ALL. Kaplan will actually do this for free I think. I know they do it at most major universities. That will give you an opportunity to see what your baseline score is to improve upon.

EDIT: More importantly, I don't really recognize you from NHL-Gaf even with that avatar. Leafs-Age doesn't really need to get any bigger, but you guys are always good for a few laughs during the season.

A diagnostic test actually sounds like a good idea. Instead of studying things that may be redundant to me and wasting time on it I could focus on things that I could work on. My only problem is that I'm just a shitty test taker overall and I absolutely hate taking standardized testing, which is probably why I haven't taken the LSAT right out of college.

But I've heard so many good things about Powerscore that I will most likely pick them up this week. Seeing as I do nothing when I get home from work anyway, why not put that time to good use lol.

And also I've been lurking around this site (mainly in the gaming forum) during the NHL season so I really never knew that NHL-GAF existed in the first place, probably not until the end of the season. But this upcoming season I will probably be more active in that forum. After all, I want to talk about all the awesome things the Leafs are going to do next season when they break their seven year playoff drought :p

Balphon

My LSAT study plan was different than most (I spent maybe a little more than a week studying), but one thing I can say is that, when you sit down to take a timed practice test, try to use one of the actual past tests released by the LSAC. For reasons that are likely obvious, they tend to be much more reminiscent of the actual exam than other practice tests.

YoungHav

Banned
LOL so it isn't common practice to record? The only client interview I ever sat in on during an internship, the attorney recorded the whole interview on his iPhone.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Three? You don't want to know how many timed exams I took :p I didn't take a class or anything - I just bought a bunch of the official LSAT exams and did a ton of those. Hmm, maybe all of them.

As sad as it is to say, the importance of the LSAT w/r/t your entire legal career cannot be overstated. Better LSAT, better school, better job, etc.

Three? You don't want to know how many timed exams I took :p I didn't take a class or anything - I just bought a bunch of the official LSAT exams and did a ton of those. Hmm, maybe all of them.

As sad as it is to say, the importance of the LSAT w/r/t your entire legal career cannot be overstated. Better LSAT, better school, better job, etc.

I said at least for a reason. I've seen people do well with that few. By the time I took it I think I was taking my 11th or 12th timed exam if you're looking for an idea of what other people do.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i didn't take a single full timed exam before the real one

i did do timed sections

master the lsat book was the only thing i used

Pollux

i didn't take a single full timed exam before the real one

i did do timed sections

master the lsat book was the only thing i used
Same. And even then I only did each section timed once. So basically I went in cold. Although I was registered for an online PR course I was rarely able to log in bc of work and evening classes.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Maybe I shoulda tried that. I got an "8" on the Logic Games section.

In the process of scheduling about 5 or 6 informational interviews with various people this week. This last employment scare has gotten me pretty motivated. Just hoping something actually comes of it....

How timely to see this thread pop up again. I'll be heading off to law school in the fall so I was curious if anyone had recommendations for books/textbooks I should buy as outside supplements.

As for the LSAT, I used the Powerscore book, mastering the LSAT, and a bunch of official tests, no class. I ended up getting the same score as my first practice test though, doh.

Pollux

How timely to see this thread pop up again. I'll be heading off to law school in the fall so I was curious if anyone had recommendations for books/textbooks I should buy as outside supplements.

As for the LSAT, I used the Powerscore book, mastering the LSAT, and a bunch of official tests, no class. I ended up getting the same score as my first practice test though, doh.

Get "Callinari and Perillo on Contracts" and the Chemerinsky book for Constitutinal Law.

Final GPA for the year is 2.83. I'm fucked for transferring aren't I? Granted in applying to places like Northern Kentucky University. Fuck this shit.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Get "Callinari and Perillo on Contracts" and the Chemerinsky book for Constitutinal Law.

Final GPA for the year is 2.83. I'm fucked for transferring aren't I? Granted in applying to places like Northern Kentucky University. Fuck this shit.
What class just posted grades?

Pollux

Bummer, man. Where all have you sent applications to?
Kentucky, Northern Kentucky, Cincinnati, Dayton, Indiana Indianapolis, Louisville, West Virginia, Tennessee, Catholic, Loyola Chiago, Michigan State, and like 2 others.

Correction my year GPA is a 2.93

I got back my second year grades. They are good grades but I'm quite disappointed at how I get straight As in assignments (worth 25% of my overall module grade) but get low grades in my final exam so I end up with a B overall. This happened in 5 out of 7 subjects. Hm...

I'm aiming for a First over the next 2 years. Not sure what that translates into in the American GPA system, I'd guess it would be 4.0 + GPA?

Also, is anyone here not planning to go into a career at the Bar or as a solicitor/attorney?

mre

Kentucky, Northern Kentucky, Cincinnati, Dayton, Indiana Indianapolis, Louisville, West Virginia, Tennessee, Catholic, Loyola Chiago, Michigan State, and like 2 others.

Correction my year GPA is a 2.93

Decided no to UA, UGA, etc.? Do you have any connections to the other schools or anyone writing LORs?

mre

I got back my second year grades. They are good grades but I'm quite disappointed at how I get straight As in assignments (worth 25% of my overall module grade) but get low grades in my final exam so I end up with a B overall. This happened in 5 out of 7 subjects. Hm...

I'm aiming for a First over the next 2 years. Not sure what the translates into in the American GPA system, I'd guess it would be 4.0 + GPA?

Also, anybody here not planning to go into a career at the Bar or as a solicitor/attorney?

The bolded confused me until I realized you weren't in America. I don't think I had a single class in law school where my entire grade wasn't determined by my final.

Edit: check that. Legal writing we had to not only write a brief but argue it.

The bolded confused me until I realized you weren't in America. I don't think I had a single class in law school where my entire grade wasn't determined by my final.

Edit: check that. Legal writing we had to not only write a brief but argue it.

likewise for me, except add Corporations to that as well. My prof had us draft AOI's, bylaws, etc for LLCs, corporations, and partnerships. Together these drafts were worth about 15% of our grade.

mre

likewise for me, except add Corporations to that as well. My prof had us draft AOI's, bylaws, etc for LLCs, corporations, and partnerships. Together these drafts were worth about 15% of our grade.

Oh, hell. I did take a transactional drafting class. I'd forgotten about that. That too, then.

Connections to the Kentucky schools and Ohio schools the rest no.

Good luck! I'd have written you a hell of a letter of recommendation, just so you know! :p

Pollux

Good luck! I'd have written you a hell of a letter of recommendation, just so you know! :p

Haha I know. Thanks, Mre. But in the end I have no connections to Alabama other than it also being in the South. As for other LOR the DA back home who is a NKU alum wrote me a letter for that school and a general one for all the other schools. So hopefully that helps with NKU. It's not the pinnacle of legal education so I'm optimistic.

mre

Haha I know. Thanks, Mre. But in the end I have no connections to Alabama other than it also being in the South. As for other LOR the DA back home who is a NKU alum wrote me a letter for that school and a general one for all the other schools. So hopefully that helps with NKU. It's not the pinnacle of legal education so I'm optimistic.

Of course not. Everyone knows that the pinnacle of legal education is Cooley.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I have a research course that has the entire grade determined by pop quizzes and weekly homework assignments.

hey, uk user here;

hmmm, so my parents know someone who has been working in a legal firm for 11 years and may be able to get me a "legal assistant job". obviously i already have a cv, but i'm having trouble tailoring it to apply to the legal field. need to write a cover letter as well that needs to be law based.

any gaffers know of any good sites, or good tips on writing law cvs?

i just finished a 3 year law university degree, and other than that i do not have any experience in law. had a good job in IT before though.

cheers bros!

Pollux

hey, uk user here;

hmmm, so my parents know someone who has been working in a legal firm for 11 years and may be able to get me a "legal assistant job". obviously i already have a cv, but i'm having trouble tailoring it to apply to the legal field. need to write a cover letter as well that needs to be law based.

any gaffers know of any good sites, or good tips on writing law cvs?

i just finished a 3 year law university degree, and other than that i do not have any experience in law. had a good job in IT before though.

cheers bros!

Post a screenshot with personal information and company names blacked out and we'll critique it for ya.

can i send a pm? it has too much emphasis on IT atm (what i'm very good at) and needs to converted into law (what i want to go into).

so it needs a lot of work haha!

and a screenshot of the cv i'm guessing?

would be ace if gaffers could help me out on this. i would owe you guys big time.

mre

ok gaf here it is, i know it's terrible, but that's what you are here for :)

i'm not going to embed it in the thread as its massive.

the RANDOM university, and IT COMPANY are placeholder names to keep my anonymity :)

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt97/Naaiif/cvforgaf.jpg

rip it to shreds gaf!

I'm not going to make substantive comments because your cv style is completely different from the legal resumes I've drafted and seen from others. I will point out that I think you need more variety in your word choice under "Interests."

It goes:

-Strong interest in...
-Keen member of...
-Strong interest in...
-Keen member of...

Change that.

rip it to shreds gaf!

It's also not in the style of legal resumes I've dealt with as a law student, but just scanning over it, I would suggest having your education experience first (as it's more recent and the most pertinent to the job you're applying for) and then list your career in IT.

My impression reading your professional profile is that you're a career IT guy who is just trying to segue into the legal world for whatever reason. I would suggest trying to draft it more in a way that gives the impression that the legal world is where all your career aspirations are, and your IT experience is a bonus because it has given you a strong computer background to excel in the legal world.

Also, do you happen to have any professors you could also list as a reference?

Are we critiquing resumes? I may have to post my own. Having trouble finding internships, and I want to get a good full time one for my final semester in the spring. I'll only have 6 credits to go by then.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
can i send a pm? it has too much emphasis on IT atm (what i'm very good at) and needs to converted into law (what i want to go into).

so it needs a lot of work haha!

and a screenshot of the cv i'm guessing?

would be ace if gaffers could help me out on this. i would owe you guys big time.

Yeah, you really need to cut out a lot of the IT stuff and make it more focused on law. Education first. Cut out the IT skills section. I'm personally not a fan of the "Professional Profile" section in the legal field, but perhaps it varies by country. Honestly, I'd take the approach of "Creating a legal resume" rather than "Tailoring my IT resume for the legal industry". Keep in mind all of this is from a U.S. perspective... :)

Yeah, you really need to cut out a lot of the IT stuff and make it more focused on law. Education first. Cut out the IT skills section. I'm personally not a fan of the "Professional Profile" section in the legal field, but perhaps it varies by country. Honestly, I'd take the approach of "Creating a legal resume" rather than "Tailoring my IT resume for the legal industry". Keep in mind all of this is from a U.S. perspective... :)

yeh, that's exactly what i did haha.

drafting a new document now. not really friends with lecturers apart from one or two, i'll send them a polite e-mail now asking for a reference!

it's just quite hard to draft a legal resume when the only experience you have is a degree!

Mine has been reviewed by career development office, but who knows if they're right. I'll redact some things and post later.

cheers man, would be a big help!

took a lot of the IT bits out, but left a very small section on IT skills in as a few uk websites have said they're needed in legal CVs.

i would take out the professional profile bit but then there'd be nothing! like the CV would hardly break a page.

2.1 is very good. It's the minimum needed for most graduate schemes/jobs. Wikipedia says it roughly translates to a 3.33-3.67 American GPA (if anyone wants some way of comparison).

Congrats!

Top Bottom