• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Law School & Lawyer GAF

Pollux

If any of you have taken Bankruptcy...what's the best way to study for this class b/c right now I'm completely lost. Any good supplements anyone wants to recommend?

If any of you have taken Bankruptcy...what's the best way to study for this class b/c right now I'm completely lost. Any good supplements anyone wants to recommend?
Here's Cornell's Legal Institute on Bankruptcy. Not really a study guide but perhaps some resources and a general overview that might be of help. This is not something that I have studied, so maybe something to browse while a more specialized response appears.

I'll see if I can find my outline. I did reasonably well. Don't really remember what I did, though. I think I mostly just knew where to go in the code, knew priority of creditors type stuff that was more complicated.

i got an A in bankruptcy but i don't remember doing anything special to study, i just memorized the rules and concepts. i can email you my outline if you PM me your email address. sometimes it helps to see a completed overview of a course to help wrap your mind around a topic.

Just finished my first ever research memorandum. It took me a solid 30+ hours to get it up to what I thought was an acceptable level of quality.

Something tells me it shouldn't have taken that much time. I feel like I'm going to get crushed on the job unless I learn how to do this shit a hell of a lot faster.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Just finished my first ever research memorandum. It took me a solid 30+ hours to get it up to what I thought was an acceptable level of quality.

Something tells me it shouldn't have taken that much time. I feel like I'm going to get crushed on the job unless I learn how to do this shit a hell of a lot faster.

That depends. What was the topic? How long did your brief end up being?

Should i apply for the Innocence Project even if I have no desire to work in prosecution or defense?

I was an extern for my local Innocence Project over a semester and I loved it. I think it depends on hands on your experience would be. Where I worked, we were given almost full responsibility over a handful of specific clients assigned to us, and we were encouraged to meet with our clients in prison to give them updates on our research. It really helped me to develop my client counseling skills and although I didn't ultimately go into criminal law, employers always like to hear that you have experience handling responsibility for several clients. That being said, I know in some Innocence Projects volunteers are basically tasked with going through the massive amounts of mail they get looking for any viable claims, so it all depends on your local Project.

So I'm taking two bars at the end of February but during the course of my studying, my Grandma that I was very close to passed away and my dog had emergency surgery, was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer, declined quickly and just passed within the last week. Considering I haven't even finished all the review lectures, I'm pretty sure I just wasted a couple thousand on bar fees. Ugh.

mre

I was an extern for my local Innocence Project over a semester and I loved it. I think it depends on hands on your experience would be. Where I worked, we were given almost full responsibility over a handful of specific clients assigned to us, and we were encouraged to meet with our clients in prison to give them updates on our research. It really helped me to develop my client counseling skills and although I didn't ultimately go into criminal law, employers always like to hear that you have experience handling responsibility for several clients. That being said, I know in some Innocence Projects volunteers are basically tasked with going through the massive amounts of mail they get looking for any viable claims, so it all depends on your local Project.

So I'm taking two bars at the end of February but during the course of my studying, my Grandma that I was very close to passed away and my dog had emergency surgery, was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer, declined quickly and just passed within the last week. Considering I haven't even finished all the review lectures, I'm pretty sure I just wasted a couple thousand on bar fees. Ugh.
Wow, sorry about your Grandmother and your dog.

You've already taken and passed one bar, right? You've got this.

Are you taking this at the behest of your current employer, or have you been unable to find a job?

Thank you, I appreciate it.

It really isn't the end of the world since my current employer encouraged me to take these bars but my job doesn't depend on it. I live very close to the border of two states so being admitted in all three would make me a much more attractive candidate if I change firms one day and gives me much more options if I ever want to move. I was trying to get these knocked out now with the MBE material still so fresh in my mind, but I'm just so emotionally exhausted by everything that at this point I just want to be finished with so I can stop having to think about it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Sorry to hear that.

I'd contact your bar class, explain the situation, and see if you can manage a spot for July bar classes.

Pollux

i got an A in bankruptcy but i don't remember doing anything special to study, i just memorized the rules and concepts. i can email you my outline if you PM me your email address. sometimes it helps to see a completed overview of a course to help wrap your mind around a topic.

That would be great actually...thanks.

PM sent

Edit: and thank you for sending the outline!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oh man, finally got through the California Bar Exam. Day one kind of sucked where I just ran out of time on the performance exam and never really got it in any kind of presentable shape. MBEs I've always scored well on in practice exams, but I missed a few obvious ones from what people tell me. Day 3 went way better than expected though. I felt like shit this morning.

I would be pretty disappointed if I don't pass. I feel like I did just enough to sneak by.

That would be great actually...thanks.

PM sent

Edit: and thank you for sending the outline!

Totally forgot about this, and I made the same offer. But I just looked, and I don't think I even made my own outline, just pulled a couple of different ones from the internet and cannibalized them.

So happy to be done with that. I didn't feel amazing walking out of that MBE, but I don't think it's possible to feel very positive about any MBE. I won't be surprised if I passed both but I won't be surprised if I failed both either. Either way, it's over and I need a drink.

Congrats on being done Angry Grimace!

Oh man, finally got through the California Bar Exam. Day one kind of sucked where I just ran out of time on the performance exam and never really got it in any kind of presentable shape. MBEs I've always scored well on in practice exams, but I missed a few obvious ones from what people tell me. Day 3 went way better than expected though. I felt like shit this morning.

I would be pretty disappointed if I don't pass. I feel like I did just enough to sneak by.

So happy to be done with that. I didn't feel amazing walking out of that MBE, but I don't think it's possible to feel very positive about any MBE. I won't be surprised if I passed both but I won't be surprised if I failed both either. Either way, it's over and I need a drink.

Congrats on being done Angry Grimace!

CONGRATS PEEPS! I'm sure you both killed it.

stn

Hey folks, small question here. You guys have any tips for distinguishing obiter from ratio? I sometimes have difficulty making the distinction. Thanks so much!

Hey folks, small question here. You guys have any tips for distinguishing obiter from ratio? I sometimes have difficulty making the distinction. Thanks so much!

Find out what the issues presented are and what the specific holdings are as to those issues. Most other conclusory statements of law (that do not directly cite earlier authority) are dicta. Usually judges know they are doing this and will use dictum-ish language such as "in another case, we may think this or that" or "if the facts were like this, we would do that."

You basically need to understand the important aspects of a case and you will just kind of get a feel for what is dicta and what isn't after reading a ton of cases.

mre

Ya'll still use those fancy latiny words? We just call them "shit that's not important" and "shit you'd better not forget."

stn

1L getting ready to do my exams in 1.5 months. Any tips? Anything I should do to take notes? ...Anything at all?

Thanks! You guys have been very helpful in the past, I am very grateful! :D

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've been asked to speak to a HS class for like 30 minutes or so. Has anyone done anything like this? I'm not sure what to talk about.

No, I do not want to talk about law school admissions or job prospects.

PBY

Banned
I've been asked to speak to a HS class for like 30 minutes or so. Has anyone done anything like this? I'm not sure what to talk about.

No, I do not want to talk about law school admissions or job prospects.

Only a 2L, but I had to do a morning with 8th graders who were about to go into high school and talk about law school/law and whatnot. We mostly got questions about TV attorneys and whatnot, it was super light.

My best advice would be to just talk generally about maybe any interesting project you've done, talk about community service/public interest legal work (jut because it seems like it would be more interesting), and throw in maybe one anecdote about law school.

Bboy AJ

Only a 2L, but I had to do a morning with 8th graders who were about to go into high school and talk about law school/law and whatnot. We mostly got questions about TV attorneys and whatnot, it was super light.

My best advice would be to just talk generally about maybe any interesting project you've done, talk about community service/public interest legal work (jut because it seems like it would be more interesting), and throw in maybe one anecdote about law school.

Thanks. I think I might do something along those lines. My other thoughts were to explain how lawyers look at problems. I would have given them a fact pattern and talk about how lawyers are supposed to find issues and not necessarily talk about the law. That's very different from HS thinking.

PBY

Banned
Thanks. I think I might do something along those lines. My other thoughts were to explain how lawyers look at problems. I would have given them a fact pattern and talk about how lawyers are supposed to find issues and not necessarily talk about the law. That's very different from HS thinking.

That actually seems ideal- the event I did had other interactive components, and they were hands down the best.

That's actually very neat. I think there's a serious inadequacy in our high school education system to teach critical and logical thinking.

Anyone have any fun cold calling stories to comfort me?

My class just ended at 6:10. My professor was finishing up his lecture and slightly going over on time. Of course, I stopped paying attention as soon as 6:10 hit. At 6:14, I hear, What do you think, George? My response: ummmmm...... yes?! Cue the class laughter:(

mre

Passed the patent bar!!!!!!! It's taken me months to study for this thing (even more than the regular bar). Such a relief
Awesome and congrats!!!

How goes your job search? Hanging in there or still thinking about going back to academia?

genjiZERO

Awesome and congrats!!!

How goes your job search? Hanging in there or still thinking about going back to academia?

Thanks! I'm going to temp, and look for things. I'm giving myself until September to find something solid. If I can't find something by then, and it appears the barrier to getting a job as a patent attorney is too high then I probably will.

Passed the patent bar!!!!!!! It's taken me months to study for this thing (even more than the regular bar). Such a relief

Thanks! I'm going to temp, and look for things. I'm giving myself until September to find something solid. If I can't find something by then, and it appears the barrier to getting a job as a patent attorney is too high then I probably will.

Congrats man! That's awesome. I'm so jealous you even qualify for the patent bar... I've taken all the classes, but I was a silly BA in Psych so I never was able to take it.

Now I'm about to go up on the hill to try and figure out if I can use that at all there.

Best of luck in finding something! Be sure to keep us posted!

Cagey

Banned
Good luck! Don't mention you're a Devils fan.

Ha definitely not saying that in New York. I love to hate the Flyers because the Flyers and their fans are fun villains; it's a fun rivalry... but I wish I could hate the Rangers out of existence. I veer into deranged hatred there.

I have "New York Football Giants" as an interest on my resume. One interview I had in August 2011, the interviewer starts ticking off his fingers and saying "O'Hara. Seubert. Boss. How do we replace them." I confidently told him that the roster was still capable of winning a Super Bowl, and that great QBs can thrive without a great offensive line, and if Eli Manning is great, he will do just that. He was highly skeptical.

Didn't get the job, perhaps because he thought my football acumen was lacking. So pissed I lost his email address. I wanted to gloat after SB46.

YoungHav

Banned
A doctor (Dr. B) asked me this question- Dr B had a patient that died around 2004 from falling on her head at a hospital. Before she died she retained Attorney 1 to sue the hospital.

Flashforward to today, patient is dead and Attorney 1 died this year. Patient's daughter approaches Dr B and tells him she is going on w/the lawsuit and consulted Attorney 2. Attorney 2 tells Daughter that she needed a certificate of merit before he could take the case so she asked Dr B to sign one for her (I'm not sure if she needed a certificate from any doctor or Dr B specifically...). My question is, what is a certificate of merit and why would she need one?

mre

A doctor (Dr. B) asked me this question- Dr B had a patient that died around 2004 from falling on her head at a hospital. Before she died she retained Attorney 1 to sue the hospital.

Flashforward to today, patient is dead and Attorney 1 died this year. Patient's daughter approaches Dr B and tells him she is going on w/the lawsuit and consulted Attorney 2. Attorney 2 tells Daughter that she needed a certificate of merit before he could take the case so she asked Dr B to sign one for her (I'm not sure if she needed a certificate from any doctor or Dr B specifically...). My question is, what is a certificate of merit and why would she need one?
Take it for what it's worth and research to confirm, but a quick google shows this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh4F61vLZfs

A certificate of merit is document I must fill out in order to let the court know that I have consulted with a board-certified physician. This document lets the court know that my medical expert believes there is a valid and meritorious case.

Importantly, my medical expert must confirm that there was wrongdoing, the wrongdoing caused injury and that the injury is significant or permanent.

If we are unable to obtain confirmation from a medical expert that you have a valid case, then we are prohibited and prevented from starting a lawsuit on your behalf.

According to this random guy on youtube, it seems like the attorney should fill it out, not the doctor. Again, grain of salt.

And here's the new york code on it: http://law.justia.com/codes/new-york/2010/cvp/article-30/3012-a/

pwack

To avoid frivolous med mal cases, the state in which the doctor works requires a prospective medical malpractice plaintiff to get an expert -- in this case, Dr. B -- to opine to the plaintiff's lawyer that there was some deviation from the standard of care to support a med mal claim.

Basically, an injured person and an ambulance chaser just can't say -- the hospital screwed up. They need Dr. B to say "yep, sounds to me like the hospital screwed up."

Cagey

Banned
Anyone else ever have to complete a writing competition for a job before?

No, not a journal at law school. An actual, real world, full-fledged "you're an attorney" job.

This strikes me as odd.

ICKE

Banned
Sociology of law. Hella hard after studying the Finnish constitution and family/inheritance law.

Foucault, Bourdieu, Bauman, Habermas, Weber, Berger etc etc and I'm supposed to know this shit tomorrow morning. I haven't studied sociology at all before this, definitely the hardest part of my masters degree so far.

tumblr_m8omrg59aC1rwcc6bo1_250.gif

Top Bottom