• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Law School & Lawyer GAF

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Yes...I suppose that makes sense. They haven't been super helpful in the past, but we shall see. I'm hoping that one of these gigs turns into a post-grad job.

Also, no finals this last semester. Feels good man.

They can help you with your resume at least. Does your law school have a job board? Perhaps symplicity? You can reach out to the CSO offices of schools in other states/other parts of your state and ask for access to their job boards as well.

They can help you with your resume at least. Does your law school have a job board? Perhaps symplicity? You can reach out to the CSO offices of schools in other states/other parts of your state and ask for access to their job boards as well.

Yeah, and I've been using all of that to find internships. I think I'm just getting nervous about having to get a real job, I think.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yeah, and I've been using all of that to find internships. I think I'm just getting nervous about having to get a real job, I think.

I had fun during law school but a real legal job is a blast.

Tex117

Banned
By the way, LowEndTorque, I hoped the responses your post received were actually instructive with regards to the attitude you displayed in your post. The legal market is tight these days, so you need to make every connection you can. If that means working for free for part of your summer, then so be it. Should you be lucky enough to land even an unpaid internship (which you may be able to actually get credit for, depending upon your school), treat it like a real job and cut the entitled attitude right the fuck out. Believe me when I say that YOU need THEM a whole lot more than THEY need YOU.

This exactly.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Just did the Barbri MBE Simulation.

I got a 140 raw (I just checked my answers). Good/Bad/Doomed? Bar isn't for a month (exactly 31 days) 130 something is what they said you need to pass the real bar but I have no clue if the simulated MBE is easier than the real one.

farnham

Banned
so does anyone know if german lawyers could work in america or are they unneeded/wanted?

not that i want to go to NA. I am just asking out of curiosity

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
so does anyone know if german lawyers could work in america or are they unneeded/wanted?

not that i want to go to NA. I am just asking out of curiosity

Depends on what you're doing out there. You'll probably need to take the bar somewhere. They're needed/wanted, I'm sure. There are American companies needing to get things out in Germany.

So my mentee got in the bottom third and now thinks it's a good idea to study abroad this summer and his first semester of 2L. How do I slap some sense in him? He was a "160k or bust" type too...

stn

So, guys, let's talk about how to read cases. Is there a point to reading the facts of the case at all? I've determined that a majority of facts are immaterial and that all that's valuable is the principle.

I mean, is there any validity to what I am thinking?

Cat Party

So, guys, let's talk about how to read cases. Is there a point to reading the facts of the case at all? I've determined that a majority of facts are immaterial and that all that's valuable is the principle.

Read the cases. Principles matter but every case is driven by the facts. Your essay questions certainly will be.

mre

Read the cases. Principles matter but every case is driven by the facts. Your essay questions certainly will be.
Yep, and professors love to pull fact patterns from cases they have assigned when writing their exams.

Tex117

Banned

A very wise torts professor lectured ad nausem about the following quote.

IF YOU CHANGE THE FACTS, YOU CHANGE THE LAW.

In other words, its the analysis of the FACTS, that make you a good lawyer (and law student), not memorizing the four elements of Torts. etc.

Or in other words, No, there is no validity in what you are thinking. :D

YoungHav

Banned
So my mentee got in the bottom third and now thinks it's a good idea to study abroad this summer and his first semester of 2L. How do I slap some sense in him? He was a "160k or bust" type too...
lol... in his defense, it is one of his last opportunities to study abroad.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I had a 99. I passed. You'll be fine.

Yeah, I spent some time looking it up and apparently 140 is way above average for the simulated MBE (which had some dumbass questions about "malicious damage" which I've never even heard of before.)

I was a little worried because I'm not drinking the Barbri Kool-aid and my natural laziness makes me fight everything they do and barely even turn in any assignments.

stn

I'm just sort of wondering because there are many facts I would consider to be immaterial in a case. And of course I always analyze the facts connected to some kind of reasoning. Eh, I guess it is difficult for me to explain what I'm thinking. I mean, I've spent so much time reading full cases and am looking for ways to digest material more efficiently.

The quest continues! :D Thanks for the insight, folks!

I'm just sort of wondering because there are many facts I would consider to be immaterial in a case. And of course I always analyze the facts connected to some kind of reasoning. Eh, I guess it is difficult for me to explain what I'm thinking. I mean, I've spent so much time reading full cases and am looking for ways to digest material more efficiently.

The quest continues! :D Thanks for the insight, folks!

On the exams, no facts are immaterial. Just keep that in mind.

I don't read cases, btw. I rely on my needy friends to make good outlines and I read the little summaries they put in there. Then I make my own short outline from that. Now that I'm a 3L, profs don't really ask us about facts any more, though.

Angry Grimace

I never read any cases from 1L year to 3L year. 1L year books pretty much all have Legalines available for me to just get the case facts/law in less than 5 minutes.

Along these lines, I'm thinking taking Barbri over, say, Themis (which costs 1/3 as much) was kind of a mistake. Barbri is about 4 grand now and frankly I don't do any of the things that justify its cost, like drive all the way to the place to watch a video lecture or turn in the graded assignments. I just don't see the point, I guess. If I can't write an essay based entirely in IRAC by now, I'd be fucked anyways.

Angry Grimace

On the exams, no facts are immaterial. Just keep that in mind.

I don't read cases, btw. I rely on my needy friends to make good outlines and I read the little summaries they put in there. Then I make my own short outline from that. Now that I'm a 3L, profs don't really ask us about facts any more, though.

It depends on the professor. I had lots of exams where there were immaterial facts. Sometimes they try to be all "think like a lawyer" and tell you to separate the immaterial facts from the material ones. Most of the time professors will tell you about this, although I once had a Corporations professor who gave us a 3 page single-spaced fact pattern and just wrote "discuss" at the end.

Anyone on here have legislative work experience? Considering applying for a job, but it's kind of like applying for paralegal positions and I'd be curious to hear an opinion....

YoungHav

Banned
Networking is such a necessary evil. I am socially awkward and it kills me going to networking events. I just had one this weekend and it bugged/weirded me the fuck out. Now I have to make sure I act like a decent human being and maintain contact w/everyone I met tonight. I know it'll help in the long run but damn lol.

No personal experience, but typically the hours/time commitment are brutal and the pay is not commensurate.

Yeah I'm well aware of that. I do have some limited experience (including my current gig), but the position I'm looking at would be pretty junior and I have my concerns about whether or not it's worth it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Yeah I'm well aware of that. I do have some limited experience (including my current gig), but the position I'm looking at would be pretty junior and I have my concerns about whether or not it's worth it.

I have worked with some legislative attorneys here in my state and they all seem to enjoy it. I think if you like that type of stuff it can be very rewarding.

I got the impression those who don't fit don't last long. They said people skills, incredible multitasking and speed in reading/writing are probably the biggest assets beyond the normal stuff.

Do you have specific questions?

It depends on the professor. I had lots of exams where there were immaterial facts. Sometimes they try to be all "think like a lawyer" and tell you to separate the immaterial facts from the material ones. Most of the time professors will tell you about this, although I once had a Corporations professor who gave us a 3 page single-spaced fact pattern and just wrote "discuss" at the end.

I guess you're right. I haven't had that experience, but all of these law school exam/case brief questions come down to who the professor is.

Are you so angry now that you've turned red?

MechaX

Law school grading continues to elude the fuck out of me.

Got a pretty "meh" grade at the one class I busted my ass for the entire semester on, damn well near CALI classes where I was derping for on the final exams/final papers. There are never consistency in my grades; just varying amounts of extremes. It could be infinitely worse overall, but eh, never fun to explain away in interviews.

Still kind of sucks when considering employers are still like "Top 10% or bust" when looking at our school, and no local office is convinced for a second that any of our students want to stay in the area (even despite some of us having lived here all of our lives). And this is a "T... I think it's 23-24 still" school. But eh. 3L Second Semester, let's do this.

Oh my god.

I received and accepted an offer for a paid Biglaw summer job from one of the top firms in the country. I’m in total shock at what has transpired over the past few weeks.

They get applicants from schools across the country and only hire two 1L’s every summer. I didn’t think I had a chance in hell with my B+ average and almost didn’t bother applying. I feel like I just pulled off a major upset.

Here’s how it happened:

A couple of days after I sent in my application I got an invitation to attend a reception for applicants at their office. My guess is it was for “iffy” applicants to see if any of us were worth interviewing. It was wine, hors d’oeuvres and schmoozing with partners. I hit it off really well with 3-4 of the senior partners and a couple of associates.

The next day I got an email inviting me for a screening interview. I spent the entire weekend preparing and destroyed the interview. Normally I don’t think quickly on my feet, but that day I was concise, articulate and substantive in my answers, even when they caught me off guard with questions I hadn’t prepared for. A couple of days later I got called to come back in for a second interview the next week with a different set of partners and knocked that one out of the park too.

After my second interview they said they would like me to go for lunch and coffee with one of their junior associates. During lunch, the associate was putting on this dudebro persona and trying to bait me into saying things I shouldn’t. He also tried to press me to find out if this firm was my top choice. I played my cards right and didn’t fall into any of his traps.

The day after my second interview, I had a dinner with a whole new set of senior partners that I hadn’t seen before, neither at the reception or interviews. Conducted myself well, and got the offer a few days later.

KingGondo

Banned
Oh my god.

I just received and accepted an offer for a paid Biglaw summer job from one of the top firms in the country. I’m in total shock at what has transpired over the past two weeks.

They get applicants from schools across the country and only hire two 1L’s every summer. I didn’t think I had a chance in hell with my B+ average and almost didn’t bother applying. I feel like I just pulled off a major upset.

Here’s how it happened:

A couple of days after I sent in my application I got an invitation to attend a reception for applicants at their office. My guess is it was for “iffy” applicants to see if any of us were worth interviewing. It was wine, hors d’oeuvres and schmoozing with partners. I hit it off really well with 3-4 of the senior partners and a couple of associates.

The next day I got an email inviting me for a screening interview. I spent the entire weekend preparing and destroyed the interview. Normally I don’t think quickly on my feet, but that day I was concise, articulate and substantive in my answers, even when they caught me off guard with questions I hadn’t prepared for. A couple of days later I got called to come back in for a second interview with a different set of partners and knocked that one out of the park too.

After my second interview they said they would like me to go for coffee with one of their junior associates. At coffee, the associate was putting on this dudebro persona and trying to bait me into saying things I shouldn’t. He also tried to press me to find out if this firm was my top choice. I played my cards right and didn’t fall into any of his traps.

The day after my second interview, I had a dinner with a whole new set of senior partners that I hadn’t seen before, neither at the reception or interviews. Conducted myself well, and got the offer a few days later.
Congrats!

Although I can't imagine going through that process... Would've had an emotional breakdown.

Congrats!

Although I can't imagine going through that process... Would've had an emotional breakdown.

Thanks man!

It was a grueling process and I pretty much was having emotional breakdowns to my wife every night over the course of those two weeks. Managed to keep my composure when it counted though. I find it crazy that they make you go through all that just for a 1L summer position.

mre

Thanks man!

It was a grueling process and I pretty much was having emotional breakdowns to my wife every night over the course of those two weeks. Managed to keep my composure when it counted though. I find it crazy that they make you go through all that just for a 1L summer position.

Guess what your summer clerkship is going to be like? Six weeks of what you just went through to get the job. :p

edit: and, of course, congrats!

Guess what your summer clerkship is going to be like? Six weeks of what you just went through to get the job. :p

edit: and, of course, congrats!

Haha thanks.

It’s actually a 4 month job. We normally start in early May and end just before 2L starts in September, though they allow 2 weeks paid vacation and there is some flexibility as to the start date.

If what you say is true, my wife will have a lot on her hands dealing with four months of emotional breakdowns from me every night :S… Though if there are more free dinners, drinks and lunches on the company’s dime I could probably get used to it ;p

I’m probably going to have absolutely no idea what the fuck I’m doing when I get into the office and will likely screw up a lot, so I might need to turn to corporate/litigation-gaf from time to time for advice on how to survive.

Pollux

Oh my god.

I received and accepted an offer for a paid Biglaw summer job from one of the top firms in the country. I’m in total shock at what has transpired over the past few weeks.

Here’s how it happened:

The next day I got an email inviting me for a screening interview. I spent the entire weekend preparing and destroyed the interview. Normally I don’t think quickly on my feet, but that day I was concise, articulate and substantive in my answers, even when they caught me off guard with questions I hadn’t prepared for. A couple of days later I got called to come back in for a second interview the next week with a different set of partners and knocked that one out of the park too.

After my second interview they said they would like me to go for lunch and coffee with one of their junior associates. During lunch, the associate was putting on this dudebro persona and trying to bait me into saying things I shouldn’t. He also tried to press me to find out if this firm was my top choice. I played my cards right and didn’t fall into any of his traps.

Awesome! Congrats, always good to see GAFers succeed!!! Keep on keepin on!

mre

Haha thanks.

It’s actually a 4 month job. We normally start in early May and end just before 2L starts in September, though they allow 2 weeks paid vacation and there is some flexibility as to the start date.

If what you say is true, my wife will have a lot on her hands dealing with four months of emotional breakdowns from me every night :S… Though if there are more free dinners, drinks and lunches on the company’s dime I could probably get used to it ;p

I’m probably going to have absolutely no idea what the fuck I’m doing when I get into the office and will likely screw up a lot, so I might need to turn to corporate/litigation-gaf from time to time for advice on how to survive.
They know and expect this. They will not trust you with anything crucial, believe me. Ask for help to learn how to do things, limit your mistakes to ones that reflect a lack of experience rather than an inability to understand or to formulate a legal argument, CITE CHECK YOUR WORK, hold your liquor, and, when you do make a mistake, own up to it.

stn

LowEndTorque - buddy, congrats! Glad to hear you've found success.

General question to all: is it imperative and crucial to read counsel's arguments in a case? The volume of reading is high and I'm trying to read more efficiently by omitting what is not as significant.

Bboy AJ

Congrats! Do a better job of covering up being a douchebag there better than you tried to here :)

They know and expect this. They will not trust you with anything crucial, believe me. Ask for help to learn how to do things, limit your mistakes to ones that reflect a lack of experience rather than an inability to understand or to formulate a legal argument, CITE CHECK YOUR WORK, hold your liquor, and, when you do make a mistake, own up to it.

Thank you. I will follow this advice.

Congrats! Do a better job of covering up being a douchebag there better than you tried to here :)

Something tells me that law is the perfect career for douchebags like you and I :)

In all seriousness though, I'm sorry if my online forum persona comes off as douchey. I'm actually not a douchebag in real life. I swear!

Angry Grimace

I can't tell if that Barbri Corporations guy was for real or not. I'm gonna be hearing that voice in my nightmares.

Angry Grimace

I did a Real Property essay for Barbri in which I basically just submitted the model answer in my own words and the grader gave it a 70.
KuGsj.gif

Cagey

Banned
The more days that tick by, the more nervous I get re: employment.

It's not a good sign that every government position I'm qualified for and have connections to requires two years of experience, given I'll have a mere one when the times comes. Not to mention all the various firms that want 3+ years in relevant fields.

Time for wrestling school to become Otunga's slave-driven associate sidekick.

Top Bottom