• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Law School & Lawyer GAF

Well, summer job is all done and I was extended an offer; pretty damn stoked! I was really worried about doing big law at first, but it seems the experience and training will pave a good path for my career(I hope). Plus, doesn't hurt that I really enjoyed the firm.

Sending good vibes to all the bar takers out there!

MechaX

The MPT was fucking hilarious. X-TREME NOT-SMOKE-AND-DRINK BAND PALINDROME.

MEE was interesting, especially with a prenuptial agreement vs. will question that I don't think Kaplan ever touched upon ever except in brief passing (mostly on contracts v. wills).

The MBE was a little strange; I would have thought that after three months of studying, well over a thousand practice questions, and a few practice tests, that the questions would cease to be "you know exactly what law applies, but you're tasked with shoving a square peg in a round hole with these shit answer choices." A few other people I spoke to felt the same way about the MBE, that it was a little tough even in comparison to Barbri/Kaplan practice questions. Plus, some of the questions got absolutely crazy (like cross-examination inceptions with plaintiffs/defendants calling witnesses they have no business calling, and there was a straight Civil Procedure question in there too). Plus, I wish Kaplan gave us the memo that they decided to replace "Property Law" entirely with "Mortgages".

Overall, I feel pretty indifferent; I'm not like "fuck yeah I crushed that test," and despite being a little annoyed at the MBE, and I'm not entirely like "fuck fuck fuck I failed". I'm hoping for the pass, but good lord will this be a long 6 weeks.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
California. Or maybe I'm not understanding your acronym.

Pretty much every Cal bar taker is freaking about yesterday's performance test.

It stands for Multistate Performance Test.

It's typically considered a joke... does California do its own Performance test?

DOOOOOOOOOOOONE

feels good man

The MPT was fucking hilarious. X-TREME NOT-SMOKE-AND-DRINK BAND PALINDROME.

MEE was interesting, especially with a prenuptial agreement vs. will question that I don't think Kaplan ever touched upon ever except in brief passing (mostly on contracts v. wills).

The MBE was a little strange; I would have thought that after three months of studying, well over a thousand practice questions, and a few practice tests, that the questions would cease to be "you know exactly what law applies, but you're tasked with shoving a square peg in a round hole with these shit answer choices." A few other people I spoke to felt the same way about the MBE, that it was a little tough even in comparison to Barbri/Kaplan practice questions. Plus, some of the questions got absolutely crazy (like cross-examination inceptions with plaintiffs/defendants calling witnesses they have no business calling, and there was a straight Civil Procedure question in there too). Plus, I wish Kaplan gave us the memo that they decided to replace "Property Law" entirely with "Mortgages".

Overall, I feel pretty indifferent; I'm not like "fuck yeah I crushed that test," and despite being a little annoyed at the MBE, and I'm not entirely like "fuck fuck fuck I failed". I'm hoping for the pass, but good lord will this be a long 6 weeks.

I noticed that Civil Procedure question too, it was very strange. Must of been one of the "test" questions right? Sucks cause I knew the answer. :p

I totally agree with what you're saying about the MBE. Seemed much harder than the practices. I'm pretty sure I did awesome on both essay days (NY and NJ), I'm just worried about the MBE at this point.

And the MPT was weird. It was actually pretty easy, I thought, it was just weird. I've never seen one like that before. It was kind of interesting to go in and reform the contract like that, I've never done something like that.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
California. Or maybe I'm not understanding your acronym.

Pretty much every Cal bar taker is freaking about yesterday's performance test.

I heard it was something about business ethics or something and nobody knew how to do it.

Last exam we had an Objective Letter and a Persusive letter. Sorry, guys :(

It stands for Multistate Performance Test.

It's typically considered a joke... does California do its own Performance test?

We have state specific Essays and PTs.

mre

I heard it was something about business ethics or something and nobody knew how to do it.

Last exam we had an Objective Letter and a Persusive letter. Sorry, guys :(

We have state specific Essays and PTs.
Ahhh, okay. We had state specific essays but used the MPT.

Still, judging from your response, it seems similar: asking you to write an essay/memo or whatever on some chosen problem.

Ahhh, okay. We had state specific essays but used the MPT.

Still, judging from your response, it seems similar: asking you to write an essay/memo or whatever on some chosen problem.

Yeah, same format, but the Tuesday PT was particularly maddening. They asked us to evaluate corporate liability for some director embezzlement, and to not talk about individual liability. Then 90% of laws they gave us in the library were about individual director liability. It honestly made no sense. It's like they were goading us into doing it wrong. The internet was angry, to say the least.

The MBE was straight up crazy, though. I can't believe the amount of super detailed mortgage questions. Pretty sure I got every one of them wrong.

Day three was nice, though. Straightforward PT, good essays. Though I wasted a ton of time studying CivPro and Evidence, with insane Cali distinctions. Oh, well. I'm a better person for it.

Oh, and MechaX - that CivPro MBE was actually a Full Faith and Credit clause question, where you had to have a rudimentary understanding of Personal Jurisdiction (need proper jurisdiction for FF&C). Just FYI.

Oh, and MechaX - that CivPro MBE was actually a Full Faith and Credit clause question, where you had to have a rudimentary understanding of Personal Jurisdiction (need proper jurisdiction for FF&C). Just FYI.

Oh snap. I studied the FF&C clause in the context of Civ Pro so I didn't even connect the dots and realize it was a Con Law issue too. :lol Got it right anyway though.

And wtf at all the mortgage questions and all the recording act questions. Got damn.

Oh snap. I studied the FF&C clause in the context of Civ Pro so I didn't even connect the dots and realize it was a Con Law issue too. :lol Got it right anyway though.

And wtf at all the mortgage questions and all the recording act questions. Got damn.

Good to hear.

Yeah, mortgage was bullshit. Did they test you on commercial paper or secured transactions, or whatever it is you non-Californians need to know?

Good to hear.

Yeah, mortgage was bullshit. Did they test you on commercial paper or secured transactions, or whatever it is you non-Californians need to know?

I think there were two or three multiple choice questions on Article 3 and Article 9 on the NY state multiple choice section, out of 50. Which probably works out to about .01% of the total exam score. :-/ Wasted a lot of time learning about holders in due course, signature liability, perfection/attachment, etc. . . .

Unless I completely missed an issue on the essay portions. :-O

I think there were two or three multiple choice questions on Article 3 and Article 9 on the NY state multiple choice section, out of 50. Which probably works out to about .01% of the total exam score. :-/ Wasted a lot of time learning about holders in due course, signature liability, perfection/attachment, etc. . . .

Unless I completely missed an issue on the essay portions. :-O

Well, it's all over now. How long do you have to wait for results? Ours is goddamned November 22nd!

exarkun

Gotdamn at all the mortgage questions. That and the couple random con law questions that actually tested on non 1st Amendment/EP/SDP fact patterns.

MBE was really rough. Did like 2 thousand MBE questions, thought Id know whats up, but damn there so many of those "whats the least wrong answer" as opposed to an actual answer being completely right. MPT and the Essays weren't that bad.

Congrats to everyone though. The bar was a hard three days, but Im sure everyone did well!

Hey guys, just stopping in because I have an interest in studying Law once I finish school. The discussion in here won't necessarily make a lot of sense to me because the Law is obviously different here but I'd still like to be as involved as possible. Just reading through these last few pages it looks like everyone took some tough tests. Hope everyone found them alright and good luck with your results!

iLLmAtlc

Hey guys about to stat 1L in a couple weeks, so many things going through my mind but for now the most pressing for those in upper years/graduated:

Are the 1L textbooks useful at all after 1L? I was thinking about buying some of the major ones new (contracts, torts, criminal) since I don't particularly like highlighting and if I could justify it on the basis that those could be useful later.

mre

Hey guys about to stat 1L in a couple weeks, so many things going through my mind but for now the most pressing for those in upper years/graduated:

Are the 1L textbooks useful at all after 1L? I was thinking about buying some of the major ones new (contracts, torts, criminal) since I don't particularly like highlighting and if I could justify it on the basis that those could be useful later.

VX9jcHa.gif

Not particularly useful, no.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Good point, and that's where mine are. :p

That's of course assuming you didn't sell them (you should totally sell them, but sometimes you can't because its an old-edition)

Angry Grimace

Those bad fucking feels man.

Just lost a 2 week jury trial (on a full contingency basis) that was legally speaking, something we couldn't lose, simply because the jury decided they didn't like our client, since there was literally no basis for their verdict.

Sigh, on the unwinnable JNOV motions. =/

mre

Those bad fucking feels man.

Just lost a 2 week jury trial (on a full contingency basis) that was legally speaking, something we couldn't lose, simply because the jury decided they didn't like our client, since there was literally no basis for their verdict.

Sigh, on the unwinnable JNOV motions. =/
Those feels.

Pollux

About that time again. Back in the library and classes start on Monday. Only one more year to go.

I kept all mine.

Pollux

Thanks but did you find keeping them to be useful?

Yea, I've had to look back at things periodically during 2L year, and I assume I'll look back at some stuff this year. Most of the lawyers I worked for this summer had kept theirs for the same reason.

But I also take a ton of notes in the margins so it's not like I'm re-reading cases.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I'm 25 and I've been working construction and making decent money, but I kind of miss school. I could take over my dads business and continue but I miss school and I've always been fascinated by law.

I have about 35 units done at a local Community College what would be the next steps? Get my 60 units, transfer to a CSU, then get my bachelors and then...?

Pollux

I'm 25 and I've been working construction and making decent money, but I kind of miss school. I could take over my dads business and continue but I miss school and I've always been fascinated by law.

I have about 35 units done at a local Community College what would be the next steps? Get my 60 units, transfer to a CSU, then get my bachelors and then...?

If you already have a good paying job and financial security...don't go to law school.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
If you already have a good paying job and financial security...don't go to law school.

I've thought long and hard about it, but I believe I can work during the day and take classes at night, no? The business aspect of the company can still be run by my dad for another 5 years or so, while I can focus on labor during the day and school at night.

I don't feel like I'm pushing myself enough I guess.

Although if I could reverse the hands of time and go back to my 17-18 year old self I would focus on school instead of partying and working for my dad. Like I said while the money is decent its still a very dirty and hard job.

I was inspired recently by this guy I used to go to school with, joined an Asian gang, did a few years in the slammer, decided he wanted to change his life and eventually became a lawyer.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is Lewis and Clark College a respectable law school?
Where do you want to work? City, area wise. Ask people in that area what they think of your chosen law school. I'm not sure if it's regional but it's not a national school. So as long as you go for a few thousand a year only, you should be OK. Well, if you do well in school and make the right connections.

After you get your bachelor's, you need another 3 years of law school.

Jindrax

Law school fail of the day

I have 2 exams to reteke... the first one was today. Professor decides not to show up. The entire schoolboard has no idea where the dude is. Doesn't pick up his phone... Now I'm probably going to get a random date to take the exam again... Thanks a lot VUB

YoungHav

Banned
Dumb question but how do you ask for a raise? Is there raise etiquette like there is interview etiquette? Never asked for one in my life and my boss promised during my interview I'd get one the end of August. Making a whopping $14.42 an hour atm.

My job search is completely dead in the water. I'm limited to my hometown (thank God it's because my husband has a job here) and everything I would be interested in hires in secret rather than posting openings. I joined a Young Lawyer's group here and I'm trying to meet people but everyone is just interested in talking to their little clique, it's like high school all over again. Ew. :I I'm working on opening my own practice if I pass the bar but I'm so nervous. I wish I could find some lawyer to just take me under their wing and show me the ropes, even for free. I feel more comfortable with Crim as that's most of my 3 years but I don't think I would know where to begin with a divorce or custody case. I found a lawyer who is letting me help him out here and there for free (I just wrote a motion for temporary custody a week ago) but I'm not sure how much work he can give me. For some reason people are less keen on having a graduate volunteer.

mre

My job search is completely dead in the water. I'm limited to my hometown (thank God it's because my husband has a job here) and everything I would be interested in hires in secret rather than posting openings. I joined a Young Lawyer's group here and I'm trying to meet people but everyone is just interested in talking to their little clique, it's like high school all over again. Ew. :I I'm working on opening my own practice if I pass the bar but I'm so nervous. I wish I could find some lawyer to just take me under their wing and show me the ropes, even for free. I feel more comfortable with Crim as that's most of my 3 years but I don't think I would know where to begin with a divorce or custody case. I found a lawyer who is letting me help him out here and there for free (I just wrote a motion for temporary custody a week ago) but I'm not sure how much work he can give me. For some reason people are less keen on having a graduate volunteer.
If you do decided to open your own practice, you should look for another solo practitioner and see if you can rent an office from him/her and maybe even share their legal assistant (for a price). I know of several attorneys around here who do that.

Where do you live? Are there any doc review firms operating in that area? It's soul-crushing work, but it's legal related and fills gaps in your resume.

Pollux

Any advice on how to get in touch with a former employer that I haven't spoken to in about a year? I don't know what to say. I was an intern there the summer before this past one, and I'm in my 3rd year so it's obvious I need a job. But I don't know how to word any of this crap without making it seem like I'm asking for a job.

Any advice?

mre

Any advice on how to get in touch with a former employer that I haven't spoken to in about a year? I don't know what to say. I was an intern there the summer before this past one, and I'm in my 3rd year so it's obvious I need a job. But I don't know how to word any of this crap without making it seem like I'm asking for a job.

Any advice?

Why don't you want to do that? Just say that you're in your 3rd year of law school, you enjoyed your time working for them, and that you are contacting them to see if they have any openings. If they're not currently hiring, I would also ask if they know of openings in any other firm in the area.

Alternatively, if they're local, you can ask if they want to meet you for coffee or lunch, and feel out their needs then.

Pollux

Why don't you want to do that? Just say that you're in your 3rd year of law school, you enjoyed your time working for them, and that you are contacting them to see if they have any openings. If they're not currently hiring, I would also ask if they know of openings in any other firm in the area.

Alternatively, if they're local, you can ask if they want to meet you for coffee or lunch, and feel out their needs then.

I didn't want to do that at first since I haven't spoken to them in over a year, but if that's not a big deal then I would be fine wording it like you suggested.

The problem is they're about 1,000 miles away...

mre

I didn't want to do that at first since I haven't spoken to them in over a year, but if that's not a big deal then I would be fine wording it like you suggested.

The problem is they're about 1,000 miles away...
They've been where you are, so unless they're just a bunch of colossal dicks (and why would you want to work with them then?), it won't be a big deal.

Just my opinion from my experience.

Pollux

They've been where you are, so unless they're just a bunch of colossal dicks (and why would you want to work with them then?), it won't be a big deal.

Just my opinion from my experience.

Thanks, and when I write this email it doesn't have to be this wordy fluffy thing right? Would to the point be better?

mre

Thanks, and when I write this email it doesn't have to be this wordy fluffy thing right? Would to the point be better?

Personal preference is friendly, but to the point. If you've done well in law school since you last worked there--or made law review, moot court, whatever--feel free to mention that as well. you don't have to completely sell yourself since they know you, but it never hurts to put a small brag in there.

Pollux

Personal preference is friendly, but to the point. If you've done well in law school since you last worked there--or made law review, moot court, whatever--feel free to mention that as well. you don't have to completely sell yourself since they know you, but it never hurts to put a small brag in there.

They hired me with around a 3.0, I got a 3.0 this past year. But I actually have court room and trial court experience since then b/c I got a limited license.

The biggest issue I see, is that I'm registered to take the bar in Ohio and the firm is in Massachusetts. I won't want to move back to Boston or register to take the bar in Massachusetts without knowing anything, and I don't know if they'll want to hire me without either of those things.

Jag

Absolutely. To the point is always better. In law or in business. Time is money friend. Learning to speak in short, clear concise points is also beneficial.

Not to make associates feel bad, but I usually stop listening intently after the first minute. If you can't tell me what I need to know quickly, i'm gone.

mre

They hired me with around a 3.0, I got a 3.0 this past year. But I actually have court room and trial court experience since then b/c I got a limited license.

The biggest issue I see, is that I'm registered to take the bar in Ohio and the firm is in Massachusetts. I won't want to move back to Boston or register to take the bar in Massachusetts without knowing anything, and I don't know if they'll want to hire me without either of those things.

That's kind of huge... Unless they just absolutely love the earth you walk on, I doubt they'd be interested in you, to be honest.

Edit: but with that said, it never hurts to send the e-mail.

Pollux

That's kind of huge... Unless they just absolutely love the earth you walk on, I doubt they'd be interested in you, to be honest.

Edit: but with that said, it never hurts to send the e-mail.

Yeah, that's what I was worried about. Although before I left at the end of Summer 2012 one of the partners who knew I was transferring to a school in Ohio told me to send them my resume when I was looking for a job.

If you do decided to open your own practice, you should look for another solo practitioner and see if you can rent an office from him/her and maybe even share their legal assistant (for a price). I know of several attorneys around here who do that.

Where do you live? Are there any doc review firms operating in that area? It's soul-crushing work, but it's legal related and fills gaps in your resume.

This has been suggested to me a few times, and I'm trying to keep an eye out for an office share. I'm hopeful I'll meet someone in an arrangement like that in this young lawyer's group/the solo practice committee of our bar association.

I'm in Dayton OH, and honestly I would do doc review since it's not like it would keep me from opening my own practice later (I heard you do get stuck in that line of work if you're hoping to work for a firm) but I haven't really seen or heard anything about that sort of work. I'm sure it must be around, but I've not seen anything.

Top Bottom