• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Law School & Lawyer GAF

Jag

I don't (I'm in-house), but it's an area that you'll always be able to get a job and eventually be able to open up your own practice, which is probably the only way to make any serious money.

It's typically a mill type environment where you will get a bulk of cases to handle. They make money on volume so you are expected to churn cases. I don't see the experience translating to many other fields (maybe insurance defense?)

But a job's a job and working somewhere is better than not being employed at all since it's always easier to get a job when you already have one.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm not familiar with consumer rights law. But I can't see how EA knowingly shipping a buggy product as playable, which it isn't, is reasonable. It could turn into something but if not, at least it will be a legal writing class brief exercise. That's how I learned about fair use! And mineral rights. Ugh, mineral rights...

Figure out relevant law, cases, proper arguments, similar examples. Could be fun.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I'm not familiar with consumer rights law. But I can't see how EA knowingly shipping a buggy product as playable, which it isn't, is reasonable. It could turn into something but if not, at least it will be a legal writing class brief exercise. That's how I learned about fair use! And mineral rights. Ugh, mineral rights...

Figure out relevant law, cases, proper arguments, similar examples. Could be fun.
I meant nutshell the problem with the game.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I meant nutshell the problem with the game.
It just doesn't run in multiplayer. At all. I know games have issues at launch. Server issues and inability to handle capacity. But BF4 is just unplayable. It'll crash during games, you can't connect reliably, some modes don't work period. I've been gaming for forever and the poor state of this game is historic.

I suspect EA shipped it buggy and knowingly, figuring they could patch it later.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Congratulations everyone that passed! I freaked out about the MPRE and studied harder than everyone else but it was only maybe two weeks of studying? I did Kaplan's online stuff and a book I had bought on the side and that was enough to kill it. I feel like the actual exam is a lot easier than the practice, it's just that people tend to treat it as a joke so half the time people don't pass because of that. Just remember that judges should never accept money directly XD I feel like that got asked so many times and it was always an obvious one. The only thing that's really difficult for me is the diff between things like what the punishments are and when you may or shall do things, but it hardly seemed to matter on the actual exam.

I studied for three or four hours the night before.

greatgeek

Banned
I've been considering law school for the longest time, but am not 100% sure it's right for me. Does it make any sense to work as a paralegal post-undergrad as a stepping stone?

Advice LawGaf?

Bboy AJ

I've been considering law school for the longest time, but am not 100% sure it's right for me. Does it make any sense to work as a paralegal post-undergrad as a stepping stone?

Advice LawGaf?

To get the feel of a firm, yes. It's not a bad idea. You can also see what lawyers do, especially if you find a good mentor. Plus, being a paralegal means no huge commitments. You don't need a certain degree to do it. Major in what you want to do or as a backup to law school.

Jindrax

Question in Belgium we have a book called " het burgerlijk wetboek/code civil " which contains all the basic laws applicable in civil law. Whats the Brittish equivalent to this?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Advice LawGaf?

My answer is going to depend on where you went to undergrad, what your grades were and what your LSAT score is going to be.

Advice LawGaf?

that's what I did for 2 years before heading to law school. Experience the law office life if it's actually something for you.

Plus, great networking opportunity with attorneys outside of the office and it could lead to future employment. That same firm I worked as a paralegal kept on as a law clerk during summers/winters and has offered me an associate position after the bar next summer.

Pollux

Once you take the bar, you'll have fond memories of exam time! Good luck!

Not of this one...professor forgot to mention the word limit on the actual exam. Over an hour into the exam, pretty much everyone in the class is at least 1,500 words in on question 1, I was around 2,200, one of the proctors comes in and mentions..."oh yeah, the just found out...word limit on question 1 is 600 words and 2 and 3 are 300 words"

I almost threw my laptop at her.

Jag

Not of this one...professor forgot to mention the word limit on the actual exam. Over an hour into the exam, pretty much everyone in the class is at least 1,500 words in on question 1, I was around 2,200, one of the proctors comes in and mentions..."oh yeah, the just found out...word limit on question 1 is 600 words and 2 and 3 are 300 words"

I almost threw my laptop at her.

Laptop? Man, I am old.

Moussi

Ello Ello Law School/Lawyer GAF, I'm in my third year of University at the moment, but I want to take the LSAT next year in November so I'm going to begin studying for my LSAT now. What resources should I buy in my quest to master the demon that is the LSAT? I've got the Powerscores logic game bible and the powerscore logical reasoning bible in my cart from amazon right now. Should be enough right? If anyone has any other resources they used and that proved helpful to them please mention them to me!! In terms of studying Ive heard simply timed LSAT practice tests where you reproduce the time limits and breaks that will be applied when doing the real lsat is the way to study. Thanks guys.

iLLmAtlc

Ello Ello Law School/Lawyer GAF, I'm in my third year of University at the moment, but I want to take the LSAT next year in November so I'm going to begin studying for my LSAT now. What resources should I buy in my quest to master the demon that is the LSAT? I've got the Powerscores logic game bible and the powerscore logical reasoning bible in my cart from amazon right now. Should be enough right? If anyone has any other resources they used and that proved helpful to them please mention them to me!! In terms of studying Ive heard simply timed LSAT practice tests where you reproduce the time limits and breaks that will be applied when doing the real lsat is the way to study. Thanks guys.

Don't forget the lsat blog:

http://lsatblog.blogspot.ca/p/month-lsat-study-schedules-plans.html

Obviously ymmv but personally I spent very little time doing full tests, and more on doing questions by type ("drilling") to try and absorb the patterns. The lsat blog has all the LR questions broken up by type, and same for all games too. The reason I spent very little time doing full tests is they drain a lot of energy and I just wasn't sure how effective they were.

What helped me a lot was doing full tests in semi loud environments, like a study hall. This trained me to tune out all distractions and come test day I was so focused I barely remembered what happened in the room.

I also didn't do that well (164) so you should take what I said with a grain of salt lol.

Cagey

Banned
Start studying about three months out. Take a full test every two weeks. Full test means a timed test simulating test conditions, including break. In between these "progress checks", focus on the patterns as mentioned. Identify the type of questions you are struggling with and drill down on those.

Take a full test every week for 4 weeks before the test. Worked for me.

Also,

ABOUT STEVE SCHWARTZ

LSAT Blog Steve Schwartz scored 175 on the LSAT and graduated from Columbia. I'll help you get into law school.

What a douche statement.

Moussi

Thanks for the link and all the info guys! I know starting to study now is too early, but im in school still and Im only really planning on studying for like 2 hours while im in school, when Im out of school I plan to pick up my studying and go into overdrive until November.

Dascu

A friend of mine is trying to apply for an LL.M degree at an American university. We know that some of them, like Harvard, have already passed, but others are still open.

I'd like to ask, is there anyone here that has experience with these application procedures? More in particular, we could use some help in writing a good personal statement. It would be fantastic if one of you would be willing to give the current draft a read through, even just to check for structure and correct vocabulary/grammar.

K, law school scam has been good for getting more people to realize how hard it is to get a law job that is worth the investment. However, kind of getting tired of the snarky predictions of legal sector armageddon where only fools think they'll be able to keep the job they already have.

A friend of mine is trying to apply for an LL.M degree at an American university. We know that some of them, like Harvard, have already passed, but others are still open.

I'd like to ask, is there anyone here that has experience with these application procedures? More in particular, we could use some help in writing a good personal statement. It would be fantastic if one of you would be willing to give the current draft a read through, even just to check for structure and correct vocabulary/grammar.

I'm applying for an LL.M. at Georgetown right now, so I can provide an assist on the procedures. However, the schools always have different application guidelines for U.S.-trained lawyers and foreign lawyers. Send me a PM and I'd be happy to have a look at the personal statement, though.

Dascu

I'm applying for an LL.M. at Georgetown right now, so I can provide an assist on the procedures. However, the schools always have different application guidelines for U.S.-trained lawyers and foreign lawyers. Send me a PM and I'd be happy to have a look at the personal statement, though.

Thanks man, sent you a PM.

Alta1r

I haven't really caught up on the thread but I'll chime in on these two posts.

1. What was your experience with the LSAT like?

Bring a snack. I didn't, and would have loved a banana or some chocolate during the break. And as other people said, take a lot of practice tests. It's all reading and logic so it's not hard per se. The hardest part is answering all the questions in the time allotted and you have very little room for error time-wise on the actual exam.

2. What is law school like compared to undergraduate or graduate experience -- academically and socially?

It's definitely different academically. In the US and other common law systems you're working in a somewhat fluid system of evolving caselaw and professors will try to question and push many assertions you make, even when they're technically the correct answer to the question they asked. It can also be a steep learning curve first semester trying to tease out what's important in a case and how that interacts with other important cases, not because it's particularly hard but because most people have minimal to no experience doing it going in. There's a lot more participation involved as well due to the Socratic method, which means you have to stay relatively caught up with the syllabus. I personally like this academic environment better than undergraduate, which felt to me more like herds of people passively listening to a professor speak for 90 minutes.

Socially, I don't find it much different than undergraduate. At least here, I haven't had the experience of people being hypercompetitive (with exceptions of course, but definitely not the rule) or with people only talking about law. Like any other class, people in it will discuss the subject from time to time and you'll get a law joke here and there, but people are still people.

Go to law school if at least one of of the following things apply to you:

1)Being a lawyer is really what you want to do in life, your dream profession.

2)You can get get through it without debt, get a full ride scholarship, etc.(unlikely, but I do know one classmate who did this, so I thought I'd mention it)

3)You can get into a top tier school.

If none of these things apply to you, you're better off not going to law school. Too much debt, too few jobs, and few people are cut out to handle the actual workload without going nuts in the process.

I agree with this assessment. If none of these things apply, the opportunity cost of going to law school will most likely outweigh actually going to law school. Especially if it's not from a top university, a JD does little to make you more employable than a bachelors.

Cagey

Banned
I agree with this assessment. If none of these things apply, the opportunity cost of going to law school will most likely outweigh actually going to law school. Especially if it's not from a top university, a JD does little to make you more employable than a bachelors.

I want to add that even those applying to top-tier schools need to appreciate the immense financial cost and the lack of guarantee for employment (or employment you may want).

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
That feeling when you show up in court to argue a motion and you don't get to say a word because the judge tells the other side that they're idiots.

Tex117

Banned

Advice LawGaf?

A great idea to get a feel for what the practice of law is all about.

kick51

Banned
Commencement yesterday

some federal judge's speech revolved around how a law degree is so valuable.

Supporting evidence is that his son did it, so we can too.

Getting the bootstrap fallacy at a law school commencement is really nice, thanks law school. Really appreciated.

Pollux

How many of Law-GAF ended up going to law school only to end up in a career that wasn't a traditional law job? I'm looking at compliance jobs right now and wanted to know if that was a viable option?

How many of Law-GAF ended up going to law school only to end up in a career that wasn't a traditional law job? I'm looking at compliance jobs right now and wanted to know if that was a viable option?

Me too.

Well, I suppose it's quasi-traditional, in that I joined the military instead (and do practice law about 5% of the time, sort of), at least until I'm force shaped out due to budget cuts.

Random question: is there a legal GAF OT where I can seek legal advice? I'm looking all over and can't seem to find one...curious if anyone here knows as I have a question about changing a minor's name in IL without a biological parent's consent.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

I have friends who went to law school with me who are now:

- a bartender
- hostess at a restaurant
- real estate agent
- started an online business
- dog walker
- went to business school

etc etc

Jag

It's viable, but expensive. That's also three years of working experience you aren't earning (unless you do the night or part time thing). As others have said, I know plenty of people that ended up in a non-legal or quasi-legal jobs after law school. The education and training is fairly useful, but whether it's worthwhile will be hard to determine in advance.

Angry Grimace

The fun of litigating against a large firm.

Yesterday - I get a call from the senior attorney on a case that he's not going to oppose our request for a continuance and that he wants to work on settling the case.

Today - I get a 35 page vigorous opposition from the associate. We call him and ask "WTF?" and he's like, "oh, I never talked to either the client, the insurer or the senior partner so I just went ahead and wrote this huge opposition and filed it."

So I have a strong interest in becoming a lawyer or at least going to law school.

I live on the East Coast near NYC, and knowing a bit about the costs associated with Law school, have not made the plunge yet.

Knowing all that, would it be wiser to go to a lesser law school to save money? Does the ranking system really matter? Is it all purely networking and having well known alums at reach?

I'm so frustrated with all of these admissions officers and alums telling me about the luxurious 6 figure salary I will make, but they won't tell me what I have to do to get to that point.

Top Bottom