• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Law School & Lawyer GAF

Cagey

Banned
Law-GAF, for a new graduate, what's a proper amount of time to work at a job before seriously looking for another one, without looking like a flake.

Employment secured (sort of) :)

I worked my nuts off over my 1L "biglaw" summer job and kicked ass. Had a formal offer letter sitting on my desk on my last day, offering employment after I graduate with the option of coming back to work there during the summer after 2L.

The caveat is that in Canada, to become licensed as a lawyer you have to "article" for 9 months in addition to passing the bar exam. After you finish articling, the firm will decide whether to keep you on as an associate. So really, the offer was an offer to article with the firm, not an offer for an associate position (you can't become a lawyer/associate until you finish articling anyway). The good news is that hireback rates at this firm are good and they end up giving offers to most, if not all of the people who article with them.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Law-GAF, for a new graduate, what's a proper amount of time to work at a job before seriously looking for another one, without looking like a flake.

IMO, 3-4 years.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
People I went to law school with (which isn't a good one, its just a regional school I went to because I work at my father's firm) who make really poor decisions piss me off for some reason. I just shake my head everytime I see someone who went there deciding to, prior to bar results or just after them, move to Chicago or something. I just want to throttle them and scream: "you can't get a job on a Southern California TTT degree in Chicago!"

MechaX

PASSED. Shit man, I don't even care if it was by a fraction of a point (won't even get specific score info until tomorrow), I am so relieved right now.

Fuck the Bar, fuck Kaplan, I'm enjoying my unemployment break for the moment.
Fuck job searching too.

Samk

Hey does anyone know any good resources on the history of hate crimes in America? I'm in a very interesting position legally.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
PASSED. Shit man, I don't even care if it was by a fraction of a point (won't even get specific score info until tomorrow), I am so relieved right now.

Fuck the Bar, fuck Kaplan, I'm enjoying my unemployment break for the moment.
Fuck job searching too.
Congrats!

MechaX

Congrats!

Thanks! It's also cool to see so many friends pass it too, outside of some very strange omissions (where I'm 100% hoping they just lacked paperwork not qualifying them for the public list, because they are folks I wouldn't even have imagined not passing it).

I killed the MPRE, got a 106. I hope I did the same on the MBE.

You got this. And besides, the insane 15-20 point scaled curve that seems to be pretty common for the July 2013 MBE so far will help you quite a bit too.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Congrats! Welcome to our world. Now get back to work!

mre

Opening to a memorandum opinion from a local federal judge that just came across my desk:

"I fight authority / Authority always wins." Throughout his hit-making career, John Mellencamp (a.k.a., Johnny Cougar, John Cougar, and John Cougar Mellencamp) has struck a chord with the American public, garnering acclaim for his revealing insights on everday life. However, the above lyric from one of Mellencamp's most enduring songs, fails to ring true in the present case.

I was always the man. Just not everybody knew it. Glad somebody finally gave me the chance, my resume screams criminal defense, which is partially by choice and partially just about the opportunities I had. I am equally capable of working on either side of the equation, but I think I was unable to convince others that was the case. Leaving PI work makes me happy. Small pay cut in the short term, but it will get larger every year barring going private defense and having a celebrity hire me, but I'm okay with that. Or at least I think I am.

Sajjaja

How recommended are LSAT prep courses? From what I've been reading, most just teach basics and out of Powerscore books.

How recommended are LSAT prep courses? From what I've been reading, most just teach basics and out of Powerscore books.

I'd say take one if you can afford it. I didn't, just taught myself out of a book and took a bunch of practice exams. My problem was that I didn't have any real structure to my studying, and for some reason my LSAT score was considerably lower (4 or 5 points) from what all of my practice test were saying they were going to be. I'm not a bad test taker, so I think either the book wasn't a good enough source or it just was not super accurate at predicting results. My feeling is that you really only get one shot at taking the LSAT, so do everything in your powers to do as good as you possibly can. Just a couple points is pretty huge, and can make you a more competitive applicant at better schools, or get you some scholarship offers.

First time in lawyerGAF. I've been licensed since Nov 2011. Spent the past 2 years working in the oil and gas industry doing title work until recently. Looking to switch practice areas to something that isn't terrible and actually feels like the practice of law. Pretty difficult job search since I'm living in GA and looking for work in Cleveland. I'm an OH licensed attorney, but my last position I could work remotely so I moved down here while my fiancee works on her masters. Any advice would be appreciated, as I just kind of lucked into my previous positions. I'm terrible at networking, and can't really do much of it since I'm not actually in Cleveland now. Also applying to the Army and Air Force JAG, though I'm not really expecting to get accepted with how competitive that is these days.

I skipped, did fine. Give yourself a test under real conditions (or as close as possible), identify problem areas, focus on those in practicing. Basically I just did like 10 or 15 logic games and that was pretty much it. Can't guarantee my strategy would work for you, but I would recommend taking a timed test before you put money down. If you do terribly, invest in a course, otherwise see above.

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...t-and-retaliation-in-case-westerns-law-school

lol at my law school. Our dean was fired during my first month of my 1L year. He was replaced by a really prominent lawyer from Jones Day, but wasn't an academic so he didn't really get a shot at the permanent gig. Didn't actually have a dean until the month I graduated. I don't know Dean Mitchell, but there's just been so many news stories (look up his NY Times editorial) that have embarrassed the school. It's just a shame, because it's a great school filled with excellent professors, Ku being one of the best. Feels bad man.

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...t-and-retaliation-in-case-westerns-law-school

lol at my law school. Our dean was fired during my first month of my 1L year. He was replaced by a really prominent lawyer from Jones Day, but wasn't an academic so he didn't really get a shot at the permanent gig. Didn't actually have a dean until the month I graduated. I don't know Dean Mitchell, but there's just been so many news stories (look up his NY Times editorial) that have embarrassed the school. It's just a shame, because it's a great school filled with excellent professors, Ku being one of the best. Feels bad man.

The two times in recent memory my law school has shown up on Above the Law have been for a rat infestation and for a raw sewage leak.

I passed guys... and I went to E3 and got addicted to Animal Crossing during that time. HOW DID I MANAGE THIS ;_______; I'M SO HAPPY!! Now for a job...

exarkun

refreshing, but nothing. What is wrong with this statttte.

They put up the state's passing statistics before the actual list of who passed. What a terrible tease. On a positive note, our school did better than the last two years, legggo

exarkun

MPRE on Saturday, anything I need to know/worry about?

This nugget was passed on to me and now I give it to you: when in doubt, always pick the answer that has the lawyer doing the most work or having to pay the most money.

That, and be familiar with the PR rules.

exarkun

I passssssed

Mad respect that the bar examiners servers held up even when their counters were showing almost 150 visits every few seconds!

PBY

Banned
so I have the MPRE in 7 hours

started studying like 3 hours ago with basketball on. now i think i might fail sigh. might power thru and just go all night

Cagey

Banned
so I have the MPRE in 7 hours

started studying like 3 hours ago with basketball on. now i think i might fail sigh. might power thru and just go all night

1) I took it once, studied like you did right now, got a 77 in NY.

2) I took it again, studied my balls off post-bar, got a 79 in NY.

3) I took it a third time, didn't study and didn't care, got a 95.

MPRE is fucking stupid.

Congratulations everyone that passed! I freaked out about the MPRE and studied harder than everyone else but it was only maybe two weeks of studying? I did Kaplan's online stuff and a book I had bought on the side and that was enough to kill it. I feel like the actual exam is a lot easier than the practice, it's just that people tend to treat it as a joke so half the time people don't pass because of that. Just remember that judges should never accept money directly XD I feel like that got asked so many times and it was always an obvious one. The only thing that's really difficult for me is the diff between things like what the punishments are and when you may or shall do things, but it hardly seemed to matter on the actual exam.

mre

Congratulations everyone that passed! I freaked out about the MPRE and studied harder than everyone else but it was only maybe two weeks of studying? I did Kaplan's online stuff and a book I had bought on the side and that was enough to kill it. I feel like the actual exam is a lot easier than the practice, it's just that people tend to treat it as a joke so half the time people don't pass because of that. Just remember that judges should never accept money directly XD I feel like that got asked so many times and it was always an obvious one. The only thing that's really difficult for me is the diff between things like what the punishments are and when you may or shall do things, but it hardly seemed to matter on the actual exam.
Holy shit.

Y8APJOE.jpg

Pollux

Tell me what classes I should take, my limited enrollment form is due tomorrow morning.

Top Bottom