• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Law School & Lawyer GAF

Jag

Is it really that bad? None of the attorneys I work with/know in real life have made law school out to seem as life-sucking and horrible as GAF has led me to believe.

Law School is fine. It's what comes after that drains your soul.

greatgeek

Banned
Went to an undergrad moot court tournament the other day and apparently scored high for a newbie (1 month). Anyone here do undergrad moot court? Did it indeed strengthen your law school applications?

I did Barmax, mostly because I got a discount and it came with an iPad. I thought it was fine, though I redid all the flash cards and put them into a spaced repetition program. That worked out really well as far as memory and recall goes. The BarBri flash cards I saw had similar issues - they just put too much on each card. It's ridiculous.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Went to an undergrad moot court tournament the other day and apparently scored high for a newbie (1 month). Anyone here do undergrad moot court? Did it indeed strengthen your law school applications?
No one gives a shit. Do well on your LSAT. That's it.

Cagey

Banned

No one gives a shit. Do well on your LSAT. That's it.

95% of your application is some relatively even split between the LSAT and your undergrad GPA, and the rest of your existence is the remaining 5%.

Is it really that bad? None of the attorneys I work with/know in real life have made law school out to seem as life-sucking and horrible as GAF has led me to believe.

Law school was a blast. Best 3 years of my life. I put in moderate effort my 1L year, made a ton of friends, and coasted my 2L and 3L years while dabbling in internships and working as a research assistant. I also spent time dating grad students. It wasn't nearly as much work as undergrad, where I studied three widely divergent subjects. The stories of cutthroat competition, 18-hour workdays, and the dreaded Socratic method are entirely overblown.

Obviously, YMMV, but I found the material easy. Never did any "outlines," either; I took some notes in textbooks instead. So, here's some advice: don't make yourself hyper-anxious because you've heard horror stories, but do come out of the gate strong and put in more effort your first semester. You can always dial it back later.

Finally, your first semester classes are going to be the standard staple things we've all studied for decades. If your torts professor can't explain proximate cause in a compellingly digestible way, the Internet can help. As far as constitutional law goes, all of the major cases are on Wikipedia -- not for analysis, but to summarize the facts of the case and put certain cases in historical context. I remember teaching myself contracts because my professor was a shambling mound of mumbles. Plus, you can always ask for help, too.

You can do it!
The only question is whether you actually WANT to be a lawyer. Get out while you still can.

Jag

Thank you both for the feedback. It all makes more sense now— some of those same attorneys I mentioned who have said only good things about law school seem to not enjoy their work, so I can see why some GAFers post negativity about the law profession.

For what its worth, when I started out in litigation at a law firm in NYC I looked at older trial attorneys and for the most part they were miserable about the profession and other lawyers. I then went transactional and ultimately to in-house for the past 18 years and I have been very happy with it.

Like any job, you need to like what you do. I hated being a litigator so I changed it to something I found more interesting. I have worked with plenty of litigators that are perfectly happy doing it. I send most of my local litigation to a friend of mine who loves what he does. Again, it's just finding whats right for you.

Jag

Just flipping through this thread makes me sad and depressed.

Sorry didn't mean to be a downer. It's really not that bad. I'm probably (one of) the oldest here having graduated from Law School in 94. For me there have been way more ups than downs and I was a really shitty student.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Thank you both for the feedback. It all makes more sense now— some of those same attorneys I mentioned who have said only good things about law school seem to not enjoy their work, so I can see why some GAFers post negativity about the law profession.

I think most of my friends really had a fun time in law school. Of course, we all went through law school before the economy collapsed, so that might impact things. At the same time, and as I've posted before here, most of them wouldn't go to law school if they could go back in time and have the choice again.

Just flipping through this thread makes me sad and depressed.

Yeah, I don't mean to be a downer either. I went an entirely different route, disavowing the firm route altogether and joined the military instead. I've had a lot of amazing experiences, and when that ends -- my next gig will be prosecuting Guantanamo detainees -- I'll probably shift into consulting or policy work altogether. I've got no desire to be a lawyer on the outside.

Basically, there are many paths to success and enjoyment, and to the best of your ability, you need to identify what you can actually stomach. If you don't want to be a lawyer, don't force it. I'm not going to say "there's a ton of things you can do with a J.D.!" because, frankly, there aren't; but there are some, especially those that are attainable with a bit of experience, that don't involve some of the soul-sucking drudgery we're all afraid of.

Does anyone else hate responding to pro se defendants?

I was a mediator in small claims court for a while, where they are all pro se. It was torture. Neither side understands how the legal system works or how terrible their evidence/case is. I feel your pain!

I was a mediator in small claims court for a while, where they are all pro se. It was torture. Neither side understands how the legal system works or how terrible their evidence/case is. I feel your pain!

I'm doing the same thing right now as one of my functions as a law clerk. I actually don't mind it though.

Cagey

Banned
New job! Kinda. Have to wait for a long government approval process. But was offered and accepted the position, conditioned on my not being a secret felon, so that's nice to know.

Now to bide the time where I am...

Pollux

Ugh. I'm responding to an ineffective assistance of counsel motion. It's 62 pages. Front and back. Hand written on loose leaf. With two lines of text per line of paper. Fuck.

Ugh. I'm responding to an ineffective assistance of counsel motion. It's 62 pages. Front and back. Hand written on loose leaf. With two lines of text per line of paper. Fuck.

#dead

I'm doing the same thing right now as one of my functions as a law clerk. I actually don't mind it though.

Yeah, it was actually pretty cool. Trying to cajole them into settling when they think their terrible evidence is enough to win a case is a little trying, though! I had some genuinely awesome "mediator" moments, though. I had a lady start crying once, and calmed a guy down who seemed like he was ready to fight. Van Nuys, CA is a crazy place.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Ha, yeah.

Trial that I'm on next week is a go, I'm actually pretty nervous...any litigators have any advice?
Are you first chair or second chair? If second chair, do you have any sections of the trial you're responsible for?

Hey Lawyers, I have a question about contracts.

Can any person amend a contract, or does it have to be by a lawyer?

For example, a mortgage or credit card application when it comes to terms and APR.

mre

2nd. Doing opening statement and 2 witnesses.
Then practice your opening statement and prepare to examine those two witnesses. :p
Hey Lawyers, I have a question about contracts.

Can any person amend a contract, or does it have to be by a lawyer?

For example, a mortgage or credit card application when it comes to terms and APR.
Anyone can amend a contract though it (generally) requires the consent of all contracting parties for the amendments to be accepted. I would point out that applications for credit cards or mortgages are not contracts. They're invitations to you to make an offer to contract with the company for credit or loans. They're free to reject your alterations and decline your offer, or make you a counter-offer by sending you a contract/credit card/loan documents with the original terms and APR as outlined in their application.

MechaX

Law School is fine. It's what comes after that drains your soul.

Yeah, 1L is just systematic hazing specifically designed to be as miserable as possible. In comparison, 2L and 3L are absolute breezes. Bar studying in the summer is 3 months of misery, but it's more of a test of doing the bare minimum of the work to pass the bar of minimum competence.

The true test is the soul crush after getting in the field (or the grind job search before eventually getting somewhere).

Then practice your opening statement and prepare to examine those two witnesses. :p

Anyone can amend a contract though it (generally) requires the consent of all contracting parties for the amendments to be accepted. I would point out that applications for credit cards or mortgages are not contracts. They're invitations to you to make an offer to contract with the company for credit or loans. They're free to reject your alterations and decline your offer, or make you a counter-offer by sending you a contract/credit card/loan documents with the original terms and APR as outlined in their application.

I mean when I was to say go to closing on a car loan, can I negotiate my terms and cross out things I don't find fair and reasonable in that contract? With all of the Youtube celebrities signing contracts like Machinimas "lifetime" contract, I'd like to know that I can make changes to a contrac without necessarily needing a lawyer there alongside.

Also, when a contract is signed, can it be amended post signature?

mre

I mean when I was to say go to closing on a car loan, can I negotiate my terms and cross out things I don't find fair and reasonable in that contract?
Yes, you can always negotiate the terms of your contract BEFORE you sign them, but keep in mind they're not obligated to accept your alternative terms. From a fundamental standpoint, the contract to purchase that car that you're presented with is an offer, which you can either accept, reject, or make a counteroffer. By altering the terms of the contract you've issued a counteroffer, and put the ball in their court, so to speak, at which point they can either accept your offer, reject it, or make a counteroffer.
With all of the Youtube celebrities signing contracts like Machinimas "lifetime" contract, I'd like to know that I can make changes to a contrac without necessarily needing a lawyer there alongside.
No clue about the youtube thing.
Also, when a contract is signed, can it be amended post signature?
All contracts can be amended post-signature by the agreement of the parties or by any mechanism for amendment included in the contract.

Just noticed this topic. I'm in law school. I hate my life. Yep, thats about it.

It gets better.

Sometimes.

Enjoy law school while you can. You can make really good friends there, and it's the easiest way to build further networking options down the road. Plus, this is probably the last time you'll be a full-time student. That is more fun than being in the real world, I assure you.

The Llama

It gets better.

Sometimes.

Enjoy law school while you can. You can make really good friends there, and it's the easiest way to build further networking options down the road. Plus, this is probably the last time you'll be a full-time student. That is more fun than being in the real world, I assure you.

I'm just a bitter 2L at a T14 who missed out on biglaw. Otherwise I probably wouldn't hate it so much.

Finally took the plunge, I'm mailing off my articles of incorporation for my LLC tomorrow and I'm opening my own practice. We have a decent court appointment system for family law and crim defense so you can count on a few cases at a time at least while you search for retained clients. I'm nervous but it feels good to have my work be worth $$ for goddamn once.

mre

Finally took the plunge, I'm mailing off my articles of incorporation for my LLC tomorrow and I'm opening my own practice. We have a decent court appointment system for family law and crim defense so you can count on a few cases at a time at least while you search for retained clients. I'm nervous but it feels good to have my work be worth $$ for goddamn once.
Congrats!

TrueGrime

Girlfriend is about to graduate from Baylor and will be joining the Airforce as a JAG. Any JAGs in here or future JAGS?

TrueGrime

I think Advocatus Diaboli is in the JAG corp.

Cool! I do have a question. My GF will be heading to the AF early next year. We have been dating for about 3 years. I am an E7 in the Marines and she will be a 1st Lt when she completes OCS and JAG training. She was told that we would have to be married before she gets commissioned even though the chances of us getting stationed together are slim. We weren't ready for marriage just yet but that might come up sooner or later. Just wanted to get a second opinion on the fraternization policy for the AF.

mre

Cool! I do have a question. My GF will be heading to the AF early next year. We have been dating for about 3 years. I am an E7 in the Marines and she will be a 1st Lt when she completes OCS and JAG training. She was told that we would have to be married before she gets commissioned even though the chances of us getting stationed together are slim. We weren't ready for marriage just yet but that might come up sooner or later. Just wanted to get a second opinion on the fraternization policy for the AF.
Not in the military, but after reading the section of the UCMJ dealing with Fraternization (Article 134), the gist seems to be that it depends upon the context of the relationship. Given that you are in different branches of the armed forces I think it would be unlikely that your relationship would make her subject to discipline for fraternization, unless your relationship in some way violated a "regulation[], directive[], [or] order[]."

Here's the explanation of Fraternization straight from the UCMJ:
c. Explanation.
(1) In general. The gist of this offense is a violation
of the custom of the armed forces against fraternization.
Not all contact between officers and enlisted persons is
an offense. Whether the contact or association in question
is an offense depends on the surrounding circumstances. Factors
to be considered include whether the conduct has
compromised the chain of command, resulted in the
appearance of partiality, or otherwise undermined
good order, discipline, authority, or morale. The acts
and circumstances must be such as to lead a reasonable
person experienced in the problems of military
leadership to conclude that the good order and discipline
of the armed forces has been prejudiced by
their tendency to compromise the respect of enlisted
persons for the professionalism, integrity, and obligations
of an officer.
(2) Regulations. Regulations, directives, and orders
may also govern conduct between officer and
enlisted personnel on both a service-wide and a local
basis. Relationships between enlisted persons of different
ranks, or between officers of different ranks
may be similarly covered. Violations of such regulations,
directives, or orders may be punishable under
Article 92. See paragraph 16.
Note: Article 92 deals with dereliction of duty.

I'm also not sure how the dating/marriage between branches works with regards to where you are stationed. That would be another issue to look into.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

Congrats! Now stop watching that RuPaul show and get to work!

Morning all. Finally joined NeoGaf after years of lurking. Just wanted to add my 50 cents (or 2 pence for us Brits), as a fellow lawyer.

Lot of angst in this thread. Some of it right. The law can be a painful and life crushing pursuit. 60 hour stints of due diligence are enough to blunt the sharpest minds. But at the same time, it is an intellectually fulfilling career and you don't have to compromise your interests (too much). The number posters on Gaf who are also lawyers is evidence of this.

As for me, after the misery and sleep deprivation of working for a US firm in London, made the move offshore. It's a tough gig - acting in a niche area in an uncertain regulatory framework and economic future - but bloody interesting with lots of travel. But it shows, you can use a career in law to follow your interests, rather than letting it limit your life.
That is really encouraging after having serious doubts about my career choice this final year of my bachelor's degree. Like, I can't even force myself to study most of the time and last semester I studied for most exams literally the night before and took them without sleep.
Got a job this week though so maybe it'll make me value time better and hopefully I'll get my motivation back.

Pollux

God damn it - I'm cursed. Defendant on the trial I was supposed to be on just pled. 20 years probation at 20%.

Every damn trial I get put on...days before the trial they plead or it gets continued 6 months out. 6 times so far in the last few months.

Yes, you can always negotiate the terms of your contract BEFORE you sign them, but keep in mind they're not obligated to accept your alternative terms. From a fundamental standpoint, the contract to purchase that car that you're presented with is an offer, which you can either accept, reject, or make a counteroffer. By altering the terms of the contract you've issued a counteroffer, and put the ball in their court, so to speak, at which point they can either accept your offer, reject it, or make a counteroffer.

No clue about the youtube thing.

All contracts can be amended post-signature by the agreement of the parties or by any mechanism for amendment included in the contract.

Good to know. Is there a good book on contracts and torts for the non-lawyer to understand the intricacies of law?

Pollux

Good to know. Is there a good book on contracts and torts for the non-lawyer to understand the intricacies of law?

For Contracts read Calamari and Perillo on Contracts.

For Torts pick up something from the Understanding series published by LexisNexis. You could do that for contracts as well, but the Calamari and Perillo book is the best I've read on the subject.

Top Bottom