• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawyers Accuse Sanders of Illegal, Unethical Influence on Wife's Disastrous Loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I think she had a very public plan to Make Burlington Great Again. I think she and her husband have a very sincere respect for the education system and wanted the students to have the best college they could. I think Jane looked very hard for a new location for the college, found the church, and thought, "This it. This is must be the place." I think Jane Sanders then did everyhting in her power to make it happen because this was her dream project.

I think she went to the bank and they told her she would need a very serious capital requirement before they could afford the loan with her. I think she then convinced the church to help pony up some of the money or offer her a loan because it would be a good choice in the long run and it was the Christian thing to do. I think when even that wasn't enough, she closed her eyes and pictured a massive fundraiser all across the small city of Burlington. A real grassroots movement to make Burlington College the pride and joy of the ciy.

So she goes back to the bank and tells them she expects $2 million in future donations. They're skeptical. She's not. They tell her they need to think about it. Jane goes home nervous and tells her husband what happened because as a supportive husband, he's been tuned into the process from the very beginning. Her wife is sad. They are so close to really making a difference.

So I think Sanders makes a call to the bank. I think he assures them, with his full credibility as a United States Senator, that he knows the college, he knows his wife, he knows they will make it work. Because that's how it's always been for the Sanders. It will work out in the end. The difference between people who make it work and people who don't is that the people who make it work really gave it a vigorous effort. It will work out in the end because if other people can do it, so can they.

And so Bernie Sanders closes his eyes, too.

200w.gif

And when they open them again, the college is gone. The bank has taken a massive loss. The church lost $2 million. They only raised 200k in their grassroots movement. Jane is fired by the board. Everything went wrong.

I have never heard Bernie or Jane publicly talk about this. Talk about their mistakes. Own up to it. I have never heard Bernie own up to anything before, to be honest. So that's why this story is important. It's because wishful thinking is irresponsible. It's not because the Sanders are "corrupt", it's because they're incompetent. It's because you can't trust them to get it done. This is about judgment, and they have none.

That kind of works until "Sanders makes a call to the bank".

ApharmdX

Banned
I doubt Hillary had anything to do with this story, but wow does it play to her advantage in a way that she could use.

Right now Sanders is on a witch hunt within the party and threatening to set the convention on fire. He does this partly because he views himself as the infallible standard bearer of progressive values. And he's mostly been treated that way. A scandal like this, and right in his wheelhouse? Could kill that reputation.

Bernie's only just getting a taste of what it's like to actually run for President. I wonder if this will remind him of that.

This is a difficult story of allegations which will be hard to prove, which hasn't really been picked up by the major media outlets. Hillary is dealing with her own scandal this week, the incredibly-damning OIG report, that WAS picked up by all major media outlets. Even MSNBC thrashed her all week for hours over it.

Hillary probably won't get any mileage out of this.

gcubed

This is a difficult story of allegations which will be hard to prove, which hasn't really been picked up by the major media outlets. Hillary is dealing with her own scandal this week, the incredibly-damning OIG report, that WAS picked up by all major media outlets. Even MSNBC thrashed her all week for hours over it.

Why would Hilary Clinton want to get mileage out of something against someone who already lost to her.

Maybe if this was in January before Sanders was dead in the water, but right now? Who gives a shit? There have been enough bad stories out the last few days that you don't need to poke anything

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

She has no reason hit him with it. She's already won and she's basically treated him with kid gloves the whole time. Even if this came out two months ago her team would likely ignore it, as they did with the Castro thing.

atr0cious

Yeah I guess I get that, but the problem is when people are LOOKING for it so hard. At this point it could almost be a letter written in crayon and people would react the same way.

There's plenty of doubt here for this specific accusation. GAF has such a tendency to ignore stuff like that in favor of boosting the signal of stories that create narratives that they either like or fuel their desire to see someone torn down.

It's like these people have never seen the internet before. People keep falling into the same pattern it's insane.
Lol, now you know how Hillary has felt for the past two decades plus.

dramatis

I don't get why people think she is going to use it to attack Sanders, when Sanders and his campaign have been fairly good at sinking themselves the past week. The last time Hillary honestly 'attacked' was when she asked for his tax returns, and that was like, the last debate? Mid-April? Her campaign long turned their guns on Trump.

The college closed down last week, so strangely enough the lawyers' letter arrives at a time that sort of makes sense for a financial gain. However, I do think the lawyers' firm is trying to capitalize on Sanders's current popularity and publicity to get money. Whether or not there was any wrongdoing on Jane or Bernie Sanders's parts, that requires investigation, and that of course actually requires the two of them coughing up the documents and information requested by the lawyers in this letter.

The bad publicity comes with the increased visibility that happens when you try running for president. And the people who want to take advantage of you, they come in busloads too.

Yeah I guess I get that, but the problem is when people are LOOKING for it so hard. At this point it could almost be a letter written in crayon and people would react the same way.

There's plenty of doubt here for this specific accusation. GAF has such a tendency to ignore stuff like that in favor of boosting the signal of stories that create narratives that they either like or fuel their desire to see someone torn down.

It's like these people have never seen the internet before. People keep falling into the same pattern it's insane.

On the verge an epiphany.

Lol, now you know how Hillary has felt for the past two decades plus.

Seriously. Remember when people were arguing that Bernie could handle the national spotlight? Man, that doesn't seem to be happening at all, now does it?

I wish part of the campaign was subjecting every candidate to the 11 hour bullshit that Hillary had to deal with. There's simply no way Bernie or Trump would handle an hour of that.

CDX

Gonna have to keep reading it, but...remember when people said "Sanders high favorables aren't worth risking the election on, he hasn't really been vetted yet"? This is what they meant.

Honestly this seems like some of that Republican opposition research they were saving for the General Election incase Bernie was the nominee.

Now that it's clear to nearly everyone he wont be the nominee. It seems like the lawyers released this now during the end of the primary while Bernie is still at least somewhat relevant. Hoping it would lead to something that would lead to a quick pay day or settlement, if they can get from Bernie.

If Bernie was the nominee, and this was the general election, I feel this story would have been pushed by every right wing news source and blog, to make it a major MSM news story. They would make this a "thing" even if it ultimately has merit or doesn't at all.

Jumping on shit like this without proper evidence is the last thing we need this election cycle.

Well hopefully they know what it is like when Hillary endures witch hunts (take that feeling and multiply it 30 years), maybe just a lil

Edit: dammit beaten like Bernie in a closed primary

royalan

Welcome to the last twenty five years of "she's an untrustworthy liar and crooked" Hillary's life.

RIGHT!?

"Without proper evidence" pretty much defines every major "scandal" Hillary's had to withstand, including loaded accusations of quid pro quo "corruption" lobbed at her by Sanders himself.

So Bernie can stew in it. This is what it's like playing with the big boys.

Jenov

Well, this certainly makes Bernie's refusal to release the rest of their taxes a lot more interesting, to say the least.

Probably a whole lot of nothing though. But as we've seen with Hillary, if you just say it enough and infer that corruption *might* be there that's more than enough for some people to be convinced. Let the hand wringing begin.

Well, this certainly makes Bernie's refusal to release the rest of their taxes a lot more interesting, to say the least.

Probably a whole lot of nothing though. But as we've seen with Hillary, if you just say it enough and infer that corruption *might* be there that's more than enough for some people to be convinced. Let the hand wringing begin.

When there's smoke there's fire rite!?

Xe4

Banned
This could've turned out to be a big deal if Sanders was the candidate. As it is though, not many politicians care, and he's gonna win the Vermont Senatorial campaign anyhow, scandal or no.

Still, this is a good example that when you're president, or even running to be president, everything in your life will be turned over and ripped to shreds in order to find incriminating stuff about you. Sanders is no exception. Honestly the only person in recent history to get away without a major scandal is Obama.

Holmes

Honestly this is really nothing. Sanders should just finish up his campaign until the 7th, then work to get some concessions in the party platform at the convention, endorse Clinton/Warren and campaign for them in the fall. Then he can return to the Senate and do the job he was elected to do.

numble

This could've turned out to be a big deal if Sanders was the candidate. As it is though, not many politicians care, and he's gonna win the Vermont Senatorial campaign anyhow, scandal or no.

Still, this is a good example that when you're president, or even running to be president, everything in your life will be turned over and ripped to shreds in order to find incriminating stuff about you. Sanders is no exception. Honestly the only person in recent history to get away without a major scandal is Obama.
There really isn't much to the scandal. The lawyers are known GOP trolls that flout Benghazi/e-mail/Monica Lewinsky scandals, and they deliberately mislead in their letter as you would expect.

Obama always does a fine job of dealing with criticism. For example, reverend wright.....he put that thing to bed by a great moving speech. He knows how to deal with controversies without resorting to cynicism. Unlike sanders, any criticism of him is always because it's YOU that is corrupt and he is always good.

gcubed

There really isn't much to the scandal. The lawyers are known GOP trolls that flout Benghazi/e-mail/Monica Lewinsky scandals, and they deliberately mislead in their letter as you would expect.

I doubt there is anything there at all, but if he actually mattered at some point the "I'm only asking the question" crowd in the media would be all over this. No one gives a shit if it has any merit, and if you don't think this would happen you must have been born yesterday.

Xe4

Banned

You don't have to have facts to make a scandal, just things that look like facts to the populace. Republicans are excellent at doing this (see Bengazi), and they would absolutely try to make this a huge scandal if Sanders was the presumed nominee. That's what I was getting at. I was never suggesting the alegagions were true, as there is no evidence for or against that claim at the moment.

numble

I doubt there is anything there at all, but if he actually mattered at some point the "I'm only asking the question" crowd in the media would be all over this. No one gives a shit if it has any merit, and if you don't think this would happen you must have been born yesterday.
These guys are known to the media as the trolls they are. Fox News publishes their op-eds, but the media hasn't given them a mouthpiece for their other crap, especially since they have learned from the past. Nobody but the craziest nutters is following their claims that a Secret Service agent watched Bill fuck Lewinsky, or Obama threatened CIA from testifying about Benghazi, for instance.

Yes, and she'll nominate less progressive SC justices to parlay favors in the house and senate because they aren't going to turn. And she needs the leverage to get some shit done.

A third term Obama would give 0 fucks.

I'd pay money to see this... his 2nd term has been absolute platinum

This is probably nothing, although it adds to a terrible news cycle for the Sanders campaign, but if true it would be both disastrous and deeply disappointing.

Yup. It would be there's nothing actually fraudulent here if I were a betting man, but if this were true, jesus.

Still an awful news cycle for Bernie (not that it matters at this point).

Drek

Sounds like very well timed extortion. If there was someone at the bank willing to go on record as having been pushed by Sanders' office there would almost certainly be an ethics committee investigation already underway.

Normally I would love to watch the world just take a dump on Bernie, but I really dislike the way that letter is written. It's clearly authored in an attempt to go viral and speak to a 3rd party rather than Sanders himself.

Wall

So we are looking at material from Reddit regarding a letter from a law firm known for attacking Democrats?

The primary is over for god's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom