• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT13| Diamond is Unreachable

Quonny

Emailed Riot because I'm a loser in regards to Ahri Nendoroid:

It should be coming soon, I'd say somewhere in the next month at the very least she will be back in stock. Though it looks like we'll be having a large shipment so you should be fine.

Tails are hard to do and are massively heavy. I have a figure with six tails and her foot peg snapped because she's so heavy.

I have faith in Rito.

Now that I think about it a Xayah & Rakan statue would be pretty cool, even if I'm not a big fan of them.

20170811104146_80974.jpg

these are pretty ok

i like the lux and jinx ones. poppy is good too

Are those fanmade? I love the Janna figure

pigeon

Banned
someone hit me with the cons of one-tricking garen as a newb

besides not learning mana management

Juggernauts are actually one of the harder champion types to play effectively as a new player because most of the challenge is getting a good engagement that lets you actually use your strengths to win fights and/or get objectives, which itself may be heavily composition-dependent. This requires good macro and game sense rather than champion skill, which are typically harder to develop.

As a new player your team is too dumb to play effectively around splitpushing and you're probably not great at warding and reading the map effectively to know when you are in danger, TP management, and finding flanks. You will have a lot of fights where you are being kited around by Ashe, Jinx, or Jhin and die slowly but without getting much done.

Basically, you can definitely one-trick Garen and win lane a lot, but your goal is to win the game, not the lane. There are compositions where picking Garen might actually just lose you the game in champion select and you may not be able to identify why you lost.

Yazzees

Juggernauts are actually one of the harder champion types to play effectively as a new player because most of the challenge is getting a good engagement that lets you actually use your strengths to win fights and/or get objectives, which itself may be heavily composition-dependent. This requires good macro and game sense rather than champion skill, which are typically harder to develop.

As a new player your team is too dumb to play effectively around splitpushing and you're probably not great at warding and reading the map effectively to know when you are in danger, TP management, and finding flanks. You will have a lot of fights where you are being kited around by Ashe, Jinx, or Jhin and die slowly but without getting much done.

Basically, you can definitely one-trick Garen and win lane a lot, but your goal is to win the game, not the lane. There are compositions where picking Garen might actually just lose you the game in champion select and you may not be able to identify why you lost.

thanks for the detailed response. i wasn't really interested in one-tricking anyone, just a thought experiment.

could you recommend some top-lane champs that are good for learning the game but wouldn't fall off at higher ranks either?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
could you recommend some top-lane champs that are good for learning the game but wouldn't fall off at higher ranks either?
Right now I would say Jarvan IV. Flexible build/role, strong in lane, can transition to team fight easily. Very easy to play too. If you want a splitpush playstyle maybe Jax. If you want an assassin playstyle Akali is worth learning but takes more than the last two.

Best learner champs that are versatile are probably just Jarvan IV and Renekton though.

pigeon

Banned
thanks for the detailed response. i wasn't really interested in one-tricking anyone, just a thought experiment.

I'm actually fucking terrible at this game, so I'm not necessarily the best person to ask, but here are some champions that I think exemplify specific playstyles:
Juggernaut -- Garen is fine here. Nasus is another good one. Stay in lane all day, splitpush for turrets, build defense and get damage for free. You are bad at teamfighting unless you can get a flank engage, so use your TP very carefully because you need to make them count.
Vanguard -- Malphite is really straightforward. I like Sion also. Maokai is super meta right now. Build tanky, get through lane without overextending, get to midgame, use your hard engage to start teamfights, pop all your abilities and kite back.
Global/Skirmish -- Shen is the main guy I play for this. Instead of combat power you have high mobility or global presence, use it to force uneven fights, get picks, and take objectives where you have local strength. Good for practicing map sense.
Bruiser/Diver -- The archetype here is probably Renekton. Bully in lane, get strong, try to jump on enemy squishies and kill them. You are mediocre at splitpushing and mediocre in teamfights so you had better crush lane and get fed so that you can snowball to victory. Take TP, not Ignite, you savage.

killatopak

Gold Member
The chromas for the arcade corki skin is pretty damn good. The chroma line is actually improving albeit the price is increasing as well.

zkylon

zkylewd
Emailed Riot because I'm a loser in regards to Ahri Nendoroid:

i hope it's real stock and not like a super limited thing

my dad is gonna be in eu next month so it'd be like super duper awesome if i can ship it to him to avoid argie customs stealing it

zkylon

zkylewd
noot is forever trapped in an incapability to comprehend what any game design or balance terms mean

it's such a lazy way to approach any conversation, being purposely uninformed

try to educate yourself on what the words you use mean, you make talking to you a waste of time

it's not hard to differentiate lacking counterplay with overpowered...

edit : wow these are so pricey

emote1.png

didn't think they'd sell the first batch, that's so lame lol

then again riot sells avatars lol

Newt

If a champion is under powered, there's really no point complaining about lack of counterplay. Zac isn't even really a big offender of lack of counterplay, and his E hasn't changed since release.

It's an ability that can easily be flashed out of, and many abilities interrupt it easily (Thresh Flay, Draven E).

Seems like you just had a game where some enemy Zac slapped you down, and now you're looking for a place to vent out on that.

I hate Tryndamere because his ultimate is an overpowered piece of crap he should die but instead he lives for 4 seconds wtf thats just bad design you can't counter that.

wait I'm sorry

I'm just a nasoo

zkylon

zkylewd
If a champion is under powered, there's really no point complaining about lack of counterplay. Zac isn't even really a big offender of lack of counterplay, and his E hasn't changed since release.

It's an ability that can easily be flashed out of, and many abilities interrupt it easily (Thresh Flay, Draven E).

Seems like you just had a game where some enemy Zac slapped you down, and now you're looking for a place to vent out on that.
i think zac e is really bullshit cos it's impossible to ward

zac e'ing in vision from draven range is not the normal use of the spell, idk why that's the example you're giving to say it's fine

also you can flash it once, then he does it again?

i mostly think the indicator should show up much earlier or the range should be shorter

idk why rito thinks it's "interesting" that he can bypass wards

Trynd is actually a garbage designed champion though. Probably the worst champion in the game.

i think post-rework malzahar is probably the worst

Newt

No, champions like Draven and Thresh (any many others) can interrupt his E while he's travelling, and it's very simple to do.

drawkcaB

I don't really mind Zac's E. It'd be nice to give a touch more pre-emptive alerting to the player. The more aggravating thing is that landing his E guarantees his ultimate. That interaction consumes a huge amount of his power budget.

After screwing around with Ornn some more I don't think I'll be getting him. I think the kit is absolutely fantastic, but there's something about his visuals and VO that really rubs me the wrong way.

I don't really mind Zac's E. It'd be nice to give a touch more pre-emptive alerting to the player. The more aggravating thing is that landing his E guarantees his ultimate. That interaction consumes a huge amount of his power budget.

After screwing around with Ornn some more I don't think I'll be getting him. I think the kit is absolutely fantastic, but there's something about his visuals and VO that really rubs me the wrong way.

everything about him feels very uninspired compared to other characters released this year. REALLY uninspired.

maybe the most uninteresting kit i've seen in the last 2 or 3 years, actually.

drawkcaB

With an exceptional amount of luck, Ori's ult should be able to stop it. Oh course the biggest "fuck you" ability to Zac's E in the whole game is Poppy's W, and good Lord is that satisfying to use right.

everything about him feels very uninspired compared to other characters released this year. REALLY uninspired.

The shop idea is pretty neat because it changes the dynamic of his lane, but yeah, at the end of the day he's a straight LoL tank, even though I like all the little things in it. It's unfortunate that two years later Tahm Kench is still the only recent tank, new champ or rework, that doesn't fit that mold. I think they made Ornn look too "boxy" and his "leave me alone" vibe doesn't do it for me. Also, I wish that had gone full mountain goat on him.

EDIT: 9-2 in my last 11 with an absolutely disgusting KDA. Oh God the losing streak Riot is going to throw my way soon enough is going to be absolutely devastating.

zkylon

zkylewd
i find it really abusive pre-6 too, when there's less room for deep wards or anything

a more pre-emptive alerting would help a lot

The only one I can confirm for sure is Veigar. Syndra could also probably stop it.
most midlaners can't, that's the point

saying draven or syndra can stop him doesn't mean his jump is easy to stop

i think he looks cool, nothing tremendously unique outside of the passive but it all looks useful

Reivaxe

I disagree.

His passive gives him an unique identity AND a cool laning trait that he can abuse. Also, his upgrades are (from what I can tell) the most effective use of 1000G in the game which is a massive boon to his team.

His non-ult knock up combo seeeeems like it's something that shoulda been saved for Malphite's rework but it's plenty cool to me (like I said, I wish Poppy could E away from shit. But then again I wish they would give her a small rework to be a bruiser cause fuck are they afraid of making her make sense as a tank)

There's also the fact that he seems like a viable JG and Support, like Poppy and TK before him.

Riot has sadly gotten really good at nailing down what they think a tank or assassin SHOULD be (I say sadly cause they seem to want them to fit cleanly into their slots. Knowing they want Eve to be an assassin and not the sub-par diver she's become worries me as someone with interest in her. Divers seem to have the most freedom to do w/e they want as seen with WW and Rhaast were as if Shadow Cane is any example they don't feel the same for Assassins.)

any midlaners?

Janna mid

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Ahri, Ezreal, Nautilus, Ziggs

Orianna if you want something more complex and will always be useful.

thanks, i like ahri in mid as she is very mechanically satisfying

naut goes top right? i need to find a good top i like

right now i am playing:
jg: warwick
mid: ahri
bot: sivir
sup: taric/janna

killatopak

Gold Member
if you want to be mechanically satisfying then go for riven, yasuo, fiora, gangplank, and rumble. They're the hardest champs to master top but if you pull a good move then it's so satisfying. They're very high risk, high reward champs but that's also the reason they're home to toxic players.

Think I might've stopped zac e with vel e before. Not sure though. Wasn't on purpose, think I panicked and did it by mistake lol.

I'm just a koggy.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i need mid late game jungle tips

i feel like i have a strong start, being able to level up and maybe put some pressure or gank someone early

but mid i feel like i spend so much time wandering that i stop farming and end up behind in levels

should i always be clearing camps throughout the whole game?

if you want to be mechanically satisfying then go for riven, yasuo, fiora, gangplank, and rumble. They're the hardest champs to master top but if you pull a good move then it's so satisfying. They're very high risk, high reward champs but that's also the reason they're home to toxic players.

it's hard to find a balance between mechanically satisfying and newbie friendly but i do own yasuo so i will give him a shot

got any tips for how to build / play Yasuo ?

Top Bottom