• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked studio plans for Freddy vs Jason vs Ash 2. Micheal Myers not a good fit

Slayven

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...-ash-kill-freddy-good-freddy-vs-jason-vs-ash/

After years in development hell, New Line Cinema’s Freddy vs. Jason finally hit theaters on August 13, 2003. It was a monster success for New Line, whose identity was built around Robert Englund‘s Freddy Krueger and the A Nightmare On Elm Street franchise. The film ended with a wink to fans, lending credence that this was only the beginning for the two slasher icons. In fact, internally they had immediately begun discussing how to up the ante on a sequel. While there were multiple rumors of potential villainous crossovers – including Halloween‘s Michael Myers and Hellraiser‘s Pinhead – the only one that was legitimately in contention was to bring The Evil Dead‘s Ashley J. Williams into the horrorverse.

freddy-vs-jason-vs-ash-memo-exclusive-page-2.jpg

freddy-vs-jason-vs-ash-memo-exclusive-page-4.jpg

freddy-vs-jason-vs-ash-memo-exclusive-page-6.jpg

Harry Knowles, that takes me back

Lagamorph

The thread title made me think I'd somehow completely missed Freddy vs Jason vs Ash 1, didn't realise it was just a sequel to Freddy vs Jason.

Also, Godzilla vs Jason should totally be a real thing.

LOL "Harry Knowles reaction"

If you're building your film's skeleton off the back of what fuckin HARRY KNOWLES thinks you're fucked from jump.

God the Wild West days really did a number on those old men.

It's sad things get so tangled up and stuck in development in Hollywood.

Robert Englund should have done like five Nightmare on Elm Street-moivies per decade.

The Freddy character could have easily grown and gotten older together with Englund, and in the end line up with what influenced Wes Craven to create the character – an old man staring up at his bedroom window as a child.

Freddy VS Jason was a letdown though. Ronny Yu was a mistake. The CG was a mistake. Not having Kane Hodder for this "event" was a mistake. Having Freddy break the 4th wall was a mistake. And many other mistakes.

Slayven

LOL "Harry Knowles reaction"

If you're building your film's skeleton off the back of what fuckin HARRY KNOWLES thinks you're fucked from jump.

God the Wild West days really did a number on those old men.

I knew Harry Knowles would activate the Roberts' sense....lol, 45% of the reason i made this thread was for your reaction

45% is a percentage I find flattering, and thank you, fellow elderly

And yeah, to answer Bregor's question, this became a comic run.

There's also a comics run where Ash fights the Marvel Zombies, I believe.

I haven't heard the name Harry Knowles in what seems like a decade. That's crazy to me that studios really cared about about his reaction enough that they had actual meetings and memos about it

I always found it odd that they wanted Ash for this. As much as I like Evil Dead 1 & 2, he doesn't have much mainstream recognition. Now, Freddy vs Jason vs Samara vs the Saw guy would probably make some good money.

Also, I kinda miss Ronny Yu.

Slayven

I haven't heard the name Harry Knowles in what seems like a decade. That's crazy to me that studios really cared about about his reaction enough that they had actual meetings and memos about it

Dude was huge, he was the first "internet insider", studios thought he was a kingmaker for a good bit.

I always found it odd that they wanted Ash for this. As much as I like Evil Dead 1 & 2, he doesn't have much mainstream recognition. Now, Freddy vs Jason vs Samara vs the Saw guy would probably make some good money.

Also, I kinda miss Ronny Yu.

This would be taking it in an entirely wrong direction.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
It was always surprising to me that Jason vs Freddy was a one off. Or at least surprising that New Line didn't do any other vs movies with their other 10 billion horror properties they owned.

LakeEarth

Really? The curse doesn't make him so?

Oh, maybe they did give him supernatural explanations to his survivals eventually. It's been too long.
It was always surprising to me that Jason vs Freddy was a one off. Or at least surprising that New Line didn't do any other vs movies with their other 10 billion horror properties they owned.
Especially considering it was successful. When does anything successful not get a sequel in Hollywood?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I liked FvJ. I could have done without Kelly Rowland and the Jay character that wasn't played by Jason Mewes. I'm legit surprised that they didn't shit out a sequel, the parts where they actually fight each other were great.

Blader

Are there any leaked memos that make movie execs seem smart?

I actually thought Sony's notes and edits on the Spectre script (few of which seemed to be actually taken), which came out during that email hack a few years ago, were pretty bang on.

Slayven

Oh, maybe they did give him supernatural explanations to his survivals eventually. It's been too long.

Especially considering it was successful. When does anything successful not get a sequel in Hollywood?

The new King Arthur movie has 6 sequels planned.

theWB27

I always assumed...that would be a mind changer to know he's just a glutton for punishment. Hhhmm.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone

Yup. The one time I would have liked to have seen something run into the ground, it doesn't happen. Shit, with everyone and their brother trying to start a cinematic shared universe these days, seems like a no brainer. Assuming New Line still owns them all.

Levito

Banned
Michael Myers would indeed be a bad fit. He's not supernatural. Pinhead would've been a great fit though.

Michael was supernatural depending on what sequel we're talking about. Part 4-6 he had like a thorn cult worshiping him and he was powered by a pagan god or something like that. (haven't seen the movie in year so details flaky)

But really though, Michael always had supernatural abilities. Dude literally crushed people's heads with his hands and walked off gunshots like they were nothing.

strafer

Is it wrong that I want to see them battling the Predator or a Xenomorph? I think that would make for some interesting entertainemnt,.

Michael was supernatural depending on what sequel we're talking about. Part 4-6 he had like a thorn cult worshiping him and he was powered by a pagan god or something like that. (haven't seen the movie in year so details flaky)

But really though, Michael always had supernatural abilities. Dude literally crushed people's heads with his hands and walked off gunshots like they were nothing.

Supernatural != superhuman.

He's plausibly human in the original movie, but you're meant to be left wondering. Once Halloween 2 rolls around there's no room for doubt any more, but that was the intent of the original ending.

Was he more than just a man?

But the most obvious element in the first movie that seems to indicate he is more than human is his ability to drive a car perfectly, having never been taught, and the film takes care to point this out.

The interesting thing in the memo is the easily read contempt everyone involved has not only for the concept being pushed, but for the audience that will presumably go to it.

Like, there's self-deprecation and then there's "Look, this doesn't really need to be that good."

Bizazedo

Harry Knowles influence is dead now, right? No one gives a shit about his site anymore, right?

Yes, I am fervently hoping I am correct.

I was a wee lad when the tv show happened, scared the shit out of me. That and Friday the 13th the series

I rented a VHS with two episodes of Freddy's Nigtmares (with the pilot and the episode with the female runner on it) when I was little, and thought it was the weirdest Nightmare on Elm Street-movie ever. My friends wouldn't believe me when I told them about it.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom