• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked studio plans for Freddy vs Jason vs Ash 2. Micheal Myers not a good fit

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I used to work for Hary Knowles and SPOILER WARNING!

He is an idiot.

That is all I have to say about that.

C'mon, you can do better than that. I'm sure you have some stories.

DeathyBoy

Banned
It's sad things get so tangled up and stuck in development in Hollywood.

Robert Englund should have done like five Nightmare on Elm Street-moivies per decade.

The Freddy character could have easily grown and gotten older together with Englund, and in the end line up with what influenced Wes Craven to create the character – an old man staring up at his bedroom window as a child.

Freddy VS Jason was a letdown though. Ronny Yu was a mistake. The CG was a mistake. Not having Kane Hodder for this "event" was a mistake. Having Freddy break the 4th wall was a mistake. And many other mistakes.

Sorry, but Freddy breaking the 4th wall was done a long time before FvsJ. Dude wore a fucking Power Glove in Freddy's Dead..,

Robert Englund should have done like five Nightmare on Elm Street-moivies per decade.

The Freddy character could have easily grown and gotten older together with Englund, and in the end line up with what influenced Wes Craven to create the character – an old man staring up at his bedroom window as a child.

Freddy VS Jason was a letdown though. Ronny Yu was a mistake. The CG was a mistake. Not having Kane Hodder for this "event" was a mistake. Having Freddy break the 4th wall was a mistake. And many other mistakes.

Kane isn't even Jason in the best movies. He tried to make the character his own (and I have a soft spot for Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X), but he isn't Jason in the way that Robert Englund is Freddy.

I don't see what FvJ would have gained from having Kane Hodder in it. There was nothing wrong with the realization of Jason in the movie as far as I can see, and wanting to make sure Jason was more physically imposing when stood next to Freddy always seemed like a good call.

Robert Englund is a good actor. He is good in other movies too.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

I'm still hoping that we see Peter Jackson's Elm Street movie at some point, the concept sounded fantastic.

Dude... maybe when I have time I'll make a thread

7bBZ3vg.gif

kunonabi

If have been very down for an elm street prequel in the vein of Henry. It still boggles that my mind that they flushed all that good will from FvJ down the drain to do 2 really shitty reboots that put both franchises on ice again.

Markitron

The one with people going into the dreams to beat up Freddy? The main character was a cop?

Yea, I just loved the idea of him slowly regaining his power when one of the kids falls into a coma.

Do you really want Freddy running around in green screens?

I wasn't suggesting he do it, just that someone makes his idea for it.

In what way wasn't the entire Freddy's Dead a mistake?

That might be the first film that I was old enough to be disappointed by. Batman and Robin then showed me true pain a few years later.

Kane isn't even Jason in the best movies. He tried to make the character his own (and I have a soft spot for Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X), but he isn't Jason in the way that Robert Englund is Freddy.

I don't see what FvJ would have gained from having Kane Hodder in it. There was nothing wrong with the realization of Jason in the movie as far as I can see, and wanting to make sure Jason was more physically imposing when stood next to Freddy always seemed like a good call.

Robert Englund is a good actor. He is good in other movies too.

Not a fan of JGTH. But have a soft spot for Jason X.

Kane Hodder was the actor playing Jason up to that point – for 4 movies. He was also known by name by many fans. He also really wanted to play the part. Even if some fans don't like his portrayed, the hulking, heavy breathing, nonstoppable Jason that many knew the character as was Kane.

I don't see a single sound reason that trumps that.

If he wanted the part, he should have gotten it. Ronny Yu's "I want him to be like Frankenstein with platform boots" shouldn't have carried any weight in the discussion.

Not sure why they're so insistent on having Ash in there. As much as I love the Evil Dead, his character is not in the same league as Freddy & Jason when it comes to name recognition. That and I'm not even sure if Evil Dead existing in the same universe as Nightmare or Friday The 13th, unless it involved Ash getting sent through another dimension or something, which I suppose could work, but hey the studios are gonna use some much bigger bullshit reasoning instead.

It was always surprising to me that Jason vs Freddy was a one off. Or at least surprising that New Line didn't do any other vs movies with their other 10 billion horror properties they owned.

Their were plans to do a sequel actually, but I believe they fell into development hell, when New Line couldn't get a new director to make the sequel.

Dude... maybe when I have time I'll make a thread.

I worked on his terrible web series.

Oh man. Yeah, I wanna hear those stories. If I remember correctly, he didn't really plan that whole thing too well and might have mishandled kickstarter funds to a serious degree?

Something like that.

Not a fan of JGTH. But have a soft spot for Jason X.

Kane Hodder was the actor playing Jason up to that point – for 4 movies. He was also known by name by many fans. He also really wanted to play the part. Even if some fans don't like his portrayed, the hulking, heavy breathing, nonstoppable Jason that many knew the character as was Kane.

I don't see a single sound reason that trumps that.

If he wanted the part, he should have gotten it. Ronny Yu's "I want him to be like Frankenstein with platform boots" shouldn't have carried any weight in the discussion.

Sure it should have. He was the director and he wanted to go in another direction.

Hodder wanting the role doesn’t automatically qualify him for it when he doesn’t fit the director’s vision.

I actually agree with Yu here. A short, squat Jason just wouldn’t have worked next to tall, lanky Freddy. Making Jason a hulking badass worked well in what they did.

Markitron

Not sure why they're so insistent on having Ash in there. As much as I love the Evil Dead, his character is not in the same league as Freddy & Jason when it comes to name recognition. That and I'm not even sure if Evil Dead existing in the same universe as Nightmare or Friday The 13th, unless it involved Ash getting sent through another dimension or something, which I suppose could work, but hey the studios are gonna use some much bigger bullshit reasoning instead

Having read the document at the top, the whole thing seemed reasonable to me, at least no more unreasonable than JvF was anyway. It makes sense as he is one of the few horror icons that's actually a good guy.

Yea, I just loved the idea of him slowly regaining his power when one of the kids falls into a coma.

I have this rule that I think horror movies should live by; Our world but with one supernatural exception.

A guy being able to kill you in your dreams is that exception. A boy drowning but returning from the dead to take revenge is that exception. The soul of a criminal making a doll come to live is that exception.

Giving people the possibility to go into dreams and such breaks that for me. That's why I don't like the premiss of Dream Warriors. That the kids have powers in their dreams (for some reason) breaks the rule of one (exception).

That is also why I don't like Pet Sematary (not counting the bad acting and bad script) - that kid coming back as a ghost guiding the characters in the film. The supernatural exception is the Pet Sematary where dead things comes back to life. A ghost-boy is one thing too much.

Uninteresting rant. Sorry. Buy anyways.

Wasn't a fan of the Jackson idea (if I remember it correctly). I want my horror films basic. And the NOES series should have gone back to basics. Too bad it instead got killed off.

Sure it should have. He was the director and he wanted to go in another direction.

Hodder wanting the role doesn't automatically qualify him for it when he doesn't fit the director's vision.

I actually agree with Yu here. A short, squat Jason just wouldn't have worked next to tall, lanky Freddy. Making Jason a hulking badass worked well in what they did.

What we got was a tall, lanky Jason with platform shoes. And calling Kane Hodder not intimidating/hulking badass is pretty silly. Jason never felt bigger and more of a crazy natural force than in part 7.

puq0x91df55z.gif

(not sure this is Kane though, haha, but the gif is to good not to post)

I think in this case, the directors vision should have had to take a back seat for the event/Celebration that the film was. I think Ronny Yu, who didn't even seem to know the characters or care for them, could have managed and the film wouldn't have been hurt one bit.

It was an event 15-20 years in the making.

Kane Hodder should have had the role if he wanted it. He had proven he could do it. He had shown he wanted it. He had earned it. That is what matters. In that case.

(And Steve Miner should have directed it)

EDIT: IMO ofc.

What we got was a tall, lanky Jason with platform shoes. And calling Kane Hodder not intimidating/hulking badass is pretty silly. Jason never felt bigger and more of a crazy natural force than in part 7.

puq0x91df55z.gif

(not sure this is Kane though, haha, but the gif is to good not to post)

I think in this case, the directors vision should have had to take a back seat for the event/Celebration that the film was. I think Ronny Yu, who didn't even seem to know the characters or care for them, could have managed and the film wouldn't have been hurt one bit.

It was an event 15-20 years in the making.

Kane Hodder should have had the role if he wanted it. He had proven he could do it. He had shown he wanted it. He had earned it. That is what matters. In that case.

(And Steve Miner should have directed it)

EDIT: IMO ofc.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree on this.

I’m not saying Kane was a bad Jason though. Only that the imposing Jason we got worked better versus Freddy.

tumblr_nemoi1moqF1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

tumblr_megampl4mZ1rhvtaoo1_250.gif

tumblr_nej0nnkdgH1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Look at that massive mother fucker.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree on this.

I’m not saying Kane was a bad Jason though. Only that the imposing Jason we got worked better versus Freddy.

tumblr_nemoi1moqF1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

tumblr_megampl4mZ1rhvtaoo1_250.gif

tumblr_nej0nnkdgH1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Look at that massive mother fucker.

Naw, Kane would have worked as good.

And not saying Ken Kirzinger (if that's how you spell his name) was bad. The main thing, for me, is that it would have been the "morally" correct thing to do for that specific film to have Hodder. I'm not saying it would have been correct for the remake, but for FvJ it should have been Hodder. And who knows, maybe it would have helped make the movie memorable.

jason-7.gif

Top Bottom