• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lebron James Ethers Charles Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianpm31

Lebron and Charles are both right. Stars back in the day were friends to a certain extent but it's not like today where everybody wants to play with each other. There's always exceptions but it's been out of control for awhile now.

One example, I remember Reggie Miller was a free agent and the Lakers offered him a deal to play with kobe and Shaq and he declined

bionic77

Lebron is a sensitive dude.

Nothing good can come from him taking on someone in the media. Its sports 101.

I am surprised that he is cracking under the pressure in January. They were never getting the one seed and all they need to get out of the East is to be healthy. Not sure why he is freaking out.

Blackhead

Redarse
Critiquing someone for attacking people for financial things when they are doing their job on television is not bias. He is acting like a child in this case. He can't take criticism but loves to dish it out. This is clear by now, or how many examples do you need?
He's taken a lot of criticism in his career and kept his mouth shut. Even in the very article, it says that LeBron usually doesn't respond to these hot takes. Some of the early comments in this thread was about old man lebron finally talking back and securing his legacy. No idea where you're getting thag Lebon has a thin skin and like to dish it out. And likening him to Trump is inflammatory nonsense and reveals your troll bias

Cleveland has put together a championship roster and Gilbert has done everything in his power to keep LBJ happy. Twice. They have the highest payroll in the NBA. Again, what is he complaining about? And if he wants to add another player (which Gilbert has shown he is willing to do), why doesn't he go to tell him that?
maybe you should listen to Lebron and you'd hear wha he's complaining about
And I know, LeBron started to complain about Riley the second he left Miami. Couldn't do it there so had to wait a bit.[/B]
So in other words, you agree that he did not complain when he was at Miami, got it

I am surprised that he is cracking under the pressure in January. They were never getting the one seed and all they need to get out of the East is to be healthy. Not sure why he is freaking out.
He sees what Golden State is doing and the Cavs are worse than last year.

He's taken a lot of criticism in his career and kept his mouth shut. Even in the very article, it says that LeBron usually doesn't respond to these hot takes. Some of the early comments in this thread was about old man lebron finally talking back and securing his legacy. No idea where you're getting thag Lebon has a thin skin and like to dish it out. And likening him to Trump is inflammatory nonsense and reveals your troll bias

maybe you should listen to Lebron and you'd hear wha he's complaining about

So in other words, you agree that he did not complain when he was at Miami, got it

Yes, because Riley is too respected around the league to do so. After he skipped town, he starts complaining how the Heat are disrespecting Wade. Even though the Heat paid him less so they could bring James and Bosh into the mix. Their offer to Wade was fair and they made the right choice, which is easy to see now.

When you start coming after an analysts finances, you have a thin skin. And it makes him look incredibly petty. And especially when your huge salary is based on the work by said analyst and his peers.

Last I checked, Charles didn't critique what an unbelievable player LeBron is. But all these "I have no time to waste" comments are nothing but trolling at this point.

The argument Chuck made was valid but probably not very popular. And it's his job to do so. A guy jumps from team to team every time they start to age or go over the cap, and then lashes out to the press about the state of the roster and how he's getting older. Which is basically like saying "get me this and that or I'm leaving again". If Barkley doesn't comment on that he's not doing his job very well.

To LeBron's credit, they actually do have an empty roster spot at the moment, do they not? It's certainly not helping the team that it's not filled.

They have nothing to offer other teams in trades, except the bloated contracts of players that are already overpaid on their roster, or draft picks a decade in the future.

And honestly? What team in their conference (or the league) wants to help the Cavs or Warriors get better right now?

You can make a lateral move like trading Jefferson and Shump for Jamaal Crawford, but they give up a ton of D for a "playmaker" and pick up a terrible salary. No is touching that JR contract.

He sees what Golden State is doing and the Cavs are worse than last year.

Cavs are playing worse with a better roster. They dodged a bullet with Mozgov, who is worse this season despite an expanded role.

Because his team is playing like shit over the past month and 1) he's trying to get them to wake up/play better 2) Bron knows deep down that they're not good enough to beat the Dubs this season with KD.

Which is getting to him personally because he knows he only has a few years left at his current prime level before age takes over (it doesn't matter who the superstar is, no one beats father time) and that tightening window scares the living shit out of him.

LeBron is 100% about his legacy/ring chasing at this point so the idea that he may not win this year or that his team may not be good enough in the future is a disaster to him.

If they don't win this year or look like they've reached their limit as a team I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves again and joins up with Melo/CP3/Wade on his personal super team.

His team is playing like shit and he's trying to wake them up, yeah.

But "that tightening window scares the living shit out of him"? "The idea that he may not win this year or that his team may not be good enough k. The future is a disaster to him"?

Honestly, hottest takes I've seen, you should work for ESPN. If you're a contending team, than your goal should be to win the ring at the end of the season. Plenty of talented championship teams in the past stumbled because they become complacent about their status, and about how they have a target on their back. If you want to avoid that, than you have to focus on nothing but getting the ring, and getting the best possible shot at it.

Lebron's legacy will be fine, and he's not leaving Cleveland

Rhaegar

Barkley is probably my favorite NBA player of all time, but he needs to get up off Lebron. These criticisms might have held water 3 titles ago. At this point, Barkley is just looking salty for Lebron being the super saiyan version of the player he tried to be.

Anth0ny

219179zmastv.gif

holy fuck barley just got shit on

Lebron complains to the media, that's a no no. Even if his complaints are valid (they aren't) as the leader of the team you address the issue with management and the team not with the media.

Wade did this recently and was rightfully blasted by his fellow Bulls teammates for it.

Wade called himself and Butler, as if they were in the same league, the leaders of the team. He specifically said that the younger players weren't putting on effort.

Lebron has said that they are a top heavy team, during a period where his team has had to deal with numerous injuries, and pointed out the specific hole they had for a bench playmaker. Yeah, too an extent it's insulting, but it's much more comparable to IT saying "We kind of suck right now" about the Celtics back in November/December

I mean, fair enough with LeBron's points and all, but Chuck's criticisms are also valid. The Cavaliers are the only team in the luxury tax. They have assuaged to his demands on players like JR Smith, Iman Shumpert, Channing Frye, etc. They recently got Kyle Korver, another good role player. Even though I don't disagree that they need a better backup point guard, no team is perfect and complete, and hearing him complain about the roster in the middle of a losing skid sounded like a tantrum.

Also, by all accounts LeBron is a good dude. I really dislike when decent people bring up character flaws in another person as opposed to debating their points. As hominems are not flattering and make you look petty and worse.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxs...rade-010617?amp=true?client=ms-android-google

People forget about this but Lebron was bringing up that hole in the cavs before this losing streak had ever started. Of course, it didn't make for as juicy conversation beforehand

Lebron is a sensitive dude.

Nothing good can come from him taking on someone in the media. Its sports 101.

This is what he wants IMO. He's averaging the most minutes per game right now iirc, and of not, he's still averaging a stupid number of minutes. He's asking for a secondary playmaker because even if someone like Delly didn't do as much for the cavs in the playoffs, he averaged 24 minutes a game last year being the backup and helping the rest of the cavs get their rest time. I don't think the cavs need a playmaker for the playoffs, but Lebron wants to reduce the wear and tear of the season on him and Kyrie's bodies, especially when the team's injuries are currently proving his point

He's right and I'm shocked more players don't come out against Chuck in the same way. The NBA on TNT is entertaining but he's a clown on the level of Skip Bayless. He just says things to say things, with no real insight behind them. The next time Chuck says something insightful about basketball will be the first. This is the same guy who said the Warriors play "girly ball" and claimed that no 3 point shooting team would ever win a title, despite "three point shooting teams" having won the last two. He and Shaq only exist on TNT to be clowns and buffoons, not for their analysis. These old heads like Chuck just come across as bitter with the way they go after the younger generations for every little thing. If MJ had come out and ripped his team the way LeBron did, the same people would be talking about how great of a leader he was.

also let's not forget about JaVale McGee ethering Shaq on his own show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q69O7CiwL8

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I'm talking about losing Delly. They are just straight-up playing much worse than they should be, though.

Yep. Their main issue right now is that ever since JR went down they have been worse on both ends, but mostly on defense.

Mahonay

Banned
GET EM BRON

Fuck was that ever cathartic to read.

LeBron definitely doesn't handle critisim very well but Charles likes to go in on people pretty regularly. So it's not like he didn't have this coming to him.

Two Words

Charles Barkley is an idiot. I hate how much air time he gets on the TNT crew. He never has anything meaningful to add and just makes random weird comments.

Anth0ny

He's right and I'm shocked more players don't come out against Chuck in the same way. The NBA on TNT is entertaining but he's a clown on the level of Skip Bayless. He just says things to say things, with no real insight behind them. The next time Chuck says something insightful about basketball will be the first. This is the same guy who said the Warriors play "girly ball" and claimed that no 3 point shooting team would ever win a title, despite "three point shooting teams" having won the last two. He and Shaq only exist on TNT to be clowns and buffoons, not for their analysis. These old heads like Chuck just come across as bitter with the way they go after the younger generations for every little thing. If MJ had come out and ripped his team the way LeBron did, the same people would be talking about how great of a leader he was.

also let's not forget about JaVale McGee ethering Shaq on his own show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q69O7CiwL8

thank you. I love when players speak up. people throw around the word "whiny" way too much.

It's refreshing to hear a player say something other than "We just stay aggressive, you know. Stay after loose balls. I don't worry about that man I just worry about winning ball games."

Charles Barkley is an idiot. I hate how much air time he gets on the TNT crew. He never has anything meaningful to add and just makes random weird comments.

Barkley may not be very eloquent, but he knows basketball. and his chemistry with the TNT crew is funny as hell.

Apathy

While I am not a James fan, he 100% is right here. He had proven himself with everything he's done and he doesn't need to take shit from analyst or has beens

Dre3001

While I am not a James fan, he 100% is right here. He had proven himself with everything he's done and he doesn't need to take shit from analyst or has beens

How is he right when he doesn't even answer the original criticism? Barkley didn't say anything to attack Lebron personally.

Lebron whole argument is an ad hominem. Barkley was mentioning that Lebron complaining about the owner not spending money doesn't make sense when the Cavs payroll is the highest in the league. He said that Lebron was being "whiny" in that sense.

Lebron responds by attacking Barkley character which Charles has been very open about and knows he is a screw up.

Lebron still has yet to address the original criticism of why is he complaining about the team not spending money to get a playmaker when they are already spending more than anyone else in the league.

Nategc20

Banned
Everything Charles said is still true, in fact everything they both said is true. He can call Charles a hater all he wants.

Charles put the heat on him by calling out by saying he went to the media complaining about needing them to make a move, so he responds by attacking Barkley's character to deflect from what he did.

Bron was so nice he didnt even mentioned the hooker blowjob dui.

funny thing is if this was the 90's and someone like Jordan did this it would be A ok. People would say he is a leader that demands the best from his player, his tam, and organization.

Sorry but everyone recognizes Jordan was a prick.

Cappa

Banned
Was he a whiner himself at times? Sure, I remember him crying that he never got a "Pippen" on his team. I also remember him getting furious with officials and a bunch of other things.

Which is odd considering he had players like Kevin Johnson and Majerle. I think there lack of a true 4/5 is what killed them. Barkley was playing the 3 on the Suns at times...

Charles Barkley is such a motherfucking idiot. He and the TNT crew are funny but they dont know shit about ball and I absolutely despise hearing any of them speak on social issues. Motherfucking clowns.

That said Charles was right. Lebron needs to stfu. You cant endlessly throw money at the situation. Most of the Cavs cap is tied up because Lebron held the team.for ransom signing shit like Tristem Thompson JR Smith Shumpert and even Love to an extext

As a Wizards fan, I don't want to hear this crap. It's bad enough the Warriors and Cavaliers suck away talent from teams attempting to compete all for naught when these demands just increase the disparity in the league. Chuck is a bonehead, can't disagree on that though.

Anth0ny

Sorry but everyone recognizes Jordan was a prick.

what world do you live in?

Jordan is the ultimate sports idol, period. what you call being a prick, 99% of people see him as a strong leader, doing anything to get his teammates going in order to win ball games, and the GOAT because of it.

Current players, Lebron especially, get slapped with the "whiner" label for doing the same shit.

Amory

LeBron is just pissed because as it turns out he's a shitty GM

I don't blame him for going back at Chuck, but nothing Chuck said was wrong

Tekniqs

I like it. Still not as good as Shaq asking Charles what he knows about winning a championship back to back.

shaq was a bitch for that. whenever dude is losing an argument he always brings up rings. you telling me adam morrison has more say than Chuck because he has a ring? foh

The only thing that would've made this better, is if I was able to see this happen live.

Somebody needed to shut Barkley up - I'm glad LBJ stepped up and smacked the shit out of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom