• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lebron James Ethers Charles Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.

winjet81

LBJ can complain all he wants: he delivered a championship to Cleveland and shut every one up who said he couldn't do it.

Barkley is bitter because his carpetbagging from team to team to try to win a championship never worked out.

Ambient80

LeBron is just pissed because as it turns out he's a shitty GM

I don't blame him for going back at Chuck, but nothing Chuck said was wrong

So shitty, in fact, that his team won the title against the best regular season team in NBA history while being down 3-1.

shaq was a bitch for that. whenever dude is losing an argument he always brings up rings. you telling me adam morrison has more say than Chuck because he has a ring? foh

I mean, "I used to play" is pretty much the only qualification for Chuck to have a platform for his shitty, uninformed takes, is that really any different? Does being an ex-player give him any special insight over anyone else? Because he certainly doesn't demonstrate it.

Dre3001

So shitty, in fact, that his team won the title against the best regular season team in NBA history while being down 3-1.

If anything that fuels Barkley's point.

If the same team last year was able to beat the Warriors then why all of a sudden this year is the team "poorly constructed" and he needs more playmakers/help/spending.

For reference since a lot of people are probably unaware.

2016-2017 NBA salaries

Rank Team Salary
1 Cleveland Cavaliers $128,699,407
2 Los Angeles Clippers $116,237,542
3 Portland Trail Blazers $112,823,449
4 Dallas Mavericks $110,679,908
5 Memphis Grizzlies $110,537,188
6 Detroit Pistons $108,967,919
7 San Antonio Spurs $108,059,787
8 Toronto Raptors $106,742,969
9 Orlando Magic $106,296,398
10 Washington Wizards $103,616,690
11 New York Knicks $103,614,716
12 Miami Heat $101,575,441
13 Golden State Warriors $101,239,340

This is what Barkley and everyone else was referencing when they called him "whiny" for saying the team isn't spending enough and he needs more help.

Yeah, don't see how this stops LeBron from looking like a whiny child who always gets what he wants from management but complains about not having enough.

He's right and I'm shocked more players don't come out against Chuck in the same way. The NBA on TNT is entertaining but he's a clown on the level of Skip Bayless. He just says things to say things, with no real insight behind them. The next time Chuck says something insightful about basketball will be the first. This is the same guy who said the Warriors play "girly ball" and claimed that no 3 point shooting team would ever win a title, despite "three point shooting teams" having won the last two. He and Shaq only exist on TNT to be clowns and buffoons, not for their analysis. These old heads like Chuck just come across as bitter with the way they go after the younger generations for every little thing. If MJ had come out and ripped his team the way LeBron did, the same people would be talking about how great of a leader he was.

also let's not forget about JaVale McGee ethering Shaq on his own show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q69O7CiwL8

He went in again couple weeks ago too. And yeah, smh @ people giving a pass to Shaq because he makes the same dumb jokes everytime.

Lebron isn't wrong but...neither is Barkley. Complaining about roster moves when you're surrounded by 3 max contracts, two of whom are all Stars playing the best ball of their careers, and you have 3 or 4 of the best role players in the league (Jefferson, Thompson, Korver, Frye), is nuts. There's nothing wrong with personnel on that squad. They're playing like shit on D, missing makeable FTs, and turning the ball over too much.

Lebron is just lashing out now, breaking his usual wall of public decorum, because he is genuinely frustrated at the losing streak. It's probably good for the Cavs in the short term, because we haven't seen Lebron play mad in a little while.

This is how I see it.

Tekniqs

Yeah. That was wack. But Shaq was right otherwise.

they both brought up good points for sure. but I feel like whenever Shaq is being backed into a corner, he lashes out with this ring talk like Chuck was a scrub lol. I'm sure if Chuck played with a Kobe/Wade level talent, he would have won one as well...but then again MJ....so who knows hah

BadAss2961

LeBron's just mad that a respected NBA great is stating the truth. Lot of commentators say this stuff, but LeBron gets hurt when Chuck says it. He played the bitch move by making it personal instead of breaking down what was said about him.

Who cares about those things Chuck did? That's who he was. Chuck would've legit smacked this dude on the court back in the day and threw down with him. He doesn't apologize for it because he was never trying to be the face of the league or a golden boy. He's a turrible basketball analyst, but knows what he's talking about psychologically. Knows when someone is acting like a bitch since he's been through it all and keeps it real. That's what people love about him on TV. LeBron has nothing to say about being whiny and having to stack players in order to feel good about competing because it's absolutely true.

Chuck threw someone off the window like a fuckin slam dunk contest alley ooop?!

holy-sht.gif

Edit: Dang all chuck said is he was a crybaby and Bron proceeded to nuke Chucks character. 😂
Keep it in basketball. Don't cry if Chuck brings up delonte west.

You're a mean one, Mr. James.😭

Lebron should look into getting Waiters. He's killing it.

Waiters hates Lebron (and Westbrook). He finally has his time to shine on a crummy Heat squad.

Melo's not waiving his NT clause either to take Love's place standing in the corner, he likes NY and getting his touches way too much.

BTW, Tristan Thompson (you know, Lebron's max contract teammate and agent-sharer) had this to say last weekend about Lebron's comments:

"You can't go out there hoping somebody is going to walk through the door. Play with whoever the hell we got right now, and let's win some [expletive] games."

If anything that fuels Barkley's point.

If the same team last year was able to beat the Warriors then why all of a sudden this year is the team "poorly constructed" and he needs more playmakers/help/spending.

For reference since a lot of people are probably unaware.

2016-2017 NBA salaries

Rank Team Salary
1 Cleveland Cavaliers $128,699,407
2 Los Angeles Clippers $116,237,542
3 Portland Trail Blazers $112,823,449
4 Dallas Mavericks $110,679,908
5 Memphis Grizzlies $110,537,188
6 Detroit Pistons $108,967,919
7 San Antonio Spurs $108,059,787
8 Toronto Raptors $106,742,969
9 Orlando Magic $106,296,398
10 Washington Wizards $103,616,690
11 New York Knicks $103,614,716
12 Miami Heat $101,575,441
13 Golden State Warriors $101,239,340

This is what Barkley and everyone else was referencing when they called him "whiny" for saying the team isn't spending enough and he needs more help.

They obviously should have given Delly a $40 million contract.

Eh, doesn't change the fact that Barkley is right about LeBron. I never seen such a talented human being act the way Lebron does.

Let's not abuse the term "ether" either
That response isn't going to keep Barkley from his job, whimper on the radio or go to Europe to learn how to swim.

BadAss2961

Waiters hates Lebron (and Westbrook). He finally has his time to shine on a crummy Heat squad.

Melo's not waiving his NT clause either to take Love's place standing in the corner, he likes NY and getting his touches way too much.

BTW, Tristan Thompson (you know, Lebron's max contract teammate and agent-sharer) had this to say last weekend about Lebron's comments:

"You can't go out there hoping somebody is going to walk through the door. Play with whoever the hell we got right now, and let's win some [expletive] games."
Wow, Mr. Kardashian making some damn sense. That's leadership, LeBron.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Barkley is full of shit, but Bron basically lashed out like a he's 5. Been keep track and taking notes, waiting for the day to unleash on Barkley.

barkley my dude but man, he got eviscerated lmao

i always thought lebron's career trajectory was kinda: hero > villain > supervillain and not the hero > villain > hero everyone said

i love it

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Lebron and Charles are both right. Stars back in the day were friends to a certain extent but it's not like today where everybody wants to play with each other. There's always exceptions but it's been out of control for awhile now.

One example, I remember Reggie Miller was a free agent and the Lakers offered him a deal to play with kobe and Shaq and he declined

And Reggie Miller has NO championships! There's something to say for making that kind of decision.

LeBron can be pissed, and he's right to call Barkley out on a lot of that stuff, but Barkley is right about LeBron. How much will you whine? Must you always get what you want in order to actually win something?

Kite

Lebron's team just lost to the shitty Mavs, should probably worry less about a talking head and more on all those turnovers lol

Finally took Charles' bait after years of fishing for a reaction. Now Charles with whine about LeBron whining for the rest of his career.

That said, while they could clearly use a decent PG to save LBJ some minutes (he shouldn't be leading the fucking league in minutes played); a PG isn't the reason their defense can't get back in transition against anyone. They're either bored or too old. Not sure which.

If they played better defense, they wouldn't have to play LBJ 37 minutes a game because every game wouldn't be a shooting contest. Midseason malaise during these dog days is a helluva thing when a team doesn't necessarily have a lot to prove.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
And Reggie Miller has NO championships! There's something to say for making that kind of decision.

Championships require a bit of luck too. Barkley came in with basically 4 of the greatest teams of all time in their prime. With the Lakers and Celtics in 80's, to Pistons and Bulls in 90's. In 19 years, only 3 were not won by those teams and 2 of them were won once MJ took a break.

Lebron went with the childish argument. Since he can't refute the actual points Charles brought up he went 100% personal and brought up things that had nothing to do with basketball.

jfkgoblue

LeBron didn't dispute Barkley's claims at all though. He just launched into personal attacks, I don't know you can call that "ethering" Barkley. When you devolve into personal attacks that usually means that you are the one that got "ethered".

Barkley was great. One of top 5 favorites.

But he's talking above his grade when he goes in on LBJ. Only a few superstars past/present can needle Lebron the way Chuck's been doing lately, and he hasn't done enough in his career to be one of them. He falls a couple of tiers short.

LeBron going full Kobe / heel turn. Finally.

Nah. LeBron's not like that. Full Kobe was full sociopath. LeBron's a model citizen who actually cares about people and seems surprisingly well-adjusted given all the fame and money he came into at a very young age.

Never been a fan of any of LeBron's teams but I'm impressed with him as person.

LeBron is living watching mjs legacy on yt. Everything he says is something from Jordans era.

Team chuck.

Let's just spend 50 million more to get LeBron help that he needs. Just going to buy your way up.. How about LeBron focus on the damn game and stop mentally fucking his team over.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeah, don't see how this stops LeBron from looking like a whiny child who always gets what he wants from management but complains about not having enough.

So how does this make whiny Charles (I never won a championship) Barkley look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom