• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legal marijuana is finally doing what the drug war couldn’t

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd wait another 10-20 years before I celebrate.
After getting young people to drop Tobacco we now have states pushing and regulating marijuana to fill their empty vaults. Breathing smoke of any kind is not a good thing.

I bet we see a spike in lung cancer in the future. Only this time the government isn't going to be able to sue a "Tobacco Company" since the state government is the one promoting it . I foresee a lot of lawsuits and and bankrupt city governments in the future.
Vaporizers and edibles bruh.

After getting young people to drop Tobacco we now have states pushing and regulating marijuana to fill their empty vaults. Breathing smoke of any kind is not a good thing.

I bet we see a spike in lung cancer in the future. Only this time the government isn't going to be able to sue a "Tobacco Company" since the state government is the one promoting it . I foresee a lot of lawsuits and and bankrupt city governments in the future.

You bet wrong...maybe you Google carcinogens and mj.

It should be legal to grow and cultivate your own, and require the same business licenses etc for you to sell, just like any other market.

Corporations can try to sway us with their special product and marketing, but as long as I could theoretically grow plain jane stuff in my back yard I'm okay with it.

If there was a good time for people to fund studies into marijuana use it's now. Positive data followed by more positive data could do wonders for all the voters on the fence about the issues.

billeh

Honestly curious, what jobs in Colorado and Washington don't drug test?

Can't imagine there's too many
A ton?

Hopefully the corporations that do warm up to the fact that it's largely a wasted expense that really doesn't translate to hiring better workers.

I can't wait for the road trip I'm taking to Colorado in June. I just wish the drive was a bit shorter (about 10 hours) so I could make the trip more often.

GhostBed

Smoking will become the "old" way to consume pot once legalization hits the whole country. Edibles + vaping + drinks, etc will see the industry move towards less harmful ways to consume. Hell, you can get high with fucking lip gloss now.

Vaping marijuana is the future

A ton?

Hopefully the corporations that do warm up to the fact that it's largely a wasted expense that really doesn't translate to hiring better workers.

Not only that, but we need more accurate testing, so in the event someone is hurt while on, say, a construction job, they can test him to see if he was high *while on the job* instead of a highly inaccurate THC test that just gives you a yes or no to of the person smoked weed within the last few weeks.

That way you can say "you're allowed to smoke pot off the clock, but if you're high at work and your job is dangerous we will fire you" which I think is more than fair.

G.ZZZ

The kidnapping, human smuggling, and extortion business is peanuts compared to tens of billions from exporting drugs.

The kidnapping and extortion success can in fact be attributed to cartels having easy cash from the drug market. Drug money is propping up all their other illicit profits. Yes there will still be crime but it will be harder to maintain massive cartel operations without the drug money.

Pretty much. The drug economy is huge, and the profits are absurd. Criminal organizations can't grow that much simply on the back of things like smuggling and extortions because those things can work only at a smaller scale. If they grow too much, they kill the economy and then you can't extort anything anymore.

Hale-XF11

You gotta love how people make this argument with nothing to back it up all while intentionally ignoring the fact that people have been using vaporizers for years now. Nevermind that there is no link to lung cancer from marijuana use in the first place.

Foxix Von

Just don't try to spread the good news by vaping in people's faces.
I only vape weed privately in my home, lol. Not gonna be blowing that in anyone's face.

I do have an ecig which I take to the office with me, but it's a pretty casual environment and most of my usage is in trips back and forth to the break room for coffee or restroom. Even then I tuck it away if we've got a client visiting. Some locations I will vape inside, but it depends on how crowded the area is and how inconspicuously I can do so. Typically I'll just hold my breath so that the vapor has time to dissipate before exhaling.

Ekdrm2d1

A ton?

What if smoking weed makes you concentrate more? A performance enhancing drug.

Edit: May have misread your post.

Kwixotik

The Mexican growers are getting 1/2-2/3 of the previous payments from the cartels now.

Yeah, I got that. I just can't believe the profit margin if those numbers are accurate. Going by gram, in most places decent quality stuff is $20
according to Google
. The farmers sell 1000 of those for $30? Are they going by weight of the entire plant rather than harvested/cured product or is the profit margin just that crazy for cartels?

xnipx

Yeah, I got that. I just can't believe the profit margin if those numbers are accurate. Going by gram, in most places decent quality stuff is $20
according to Google
. The farmers sell 1000 of those for $30? Are they going by weight of the entire plant rather than harvested/cured product or is the profit margin just that crazy for cartels?

I'm guessing the cartels get a pretty good wholesale deal. Just like you can get a gram for $20 an ounce isn't gonna cost you $560. Once you multiply that by thousands of plants i'm pretty sure the people at the top of the food chain are getting it for the super low.

How much money can the government earn from legalizing pot across the entire US? It would be a significant amount wouldn't it! Such an amount that could do a difference elsewhere.

Get that highwaytrustfund up and running, get the unemployment down, and productivity up.

Today I learned agriculture operations and human trafficking/slavery are equivalent in viability. Oh wait.

That literally sounds like a Fox News contributor, no offense.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
How much money can the government earn from legalizing pot across the entire US? It would be a significant amount wouldn't it! Such an amount that could do a difference elsewhere.

Get that highwaytrustfund up and running, get the unemployment down, and productivity up.

Colorado had made so much that they're was some sort of hubbub about the state maybe having to issue small refunds to residents because they made too much, iirc.

FStop7

Banned
Why haven't weed prices gone down?

Asking for a friend.

Depends on where you're at. In SoCal it's $300 for an ounce of top shelf and there are about a zillion strains to choose from - all of them good.

Not sure about some of what you're saying but a good way to sidestep the risk is vaporizing.

At least that's what I heard on a television show about the marijuanas.

Kettch

Sad that such an obvious thing has taken so long, but great news, especially for Mexico. The first step to taking down/limiting the power of the cartels is to cut off their funding, which primarily comes from marijuana. Less funding means less money for bribing politicians and law enforcement, and less money for purchasing firearms.

"Oh, but they'll just move on to other crimes, like kidnapping," idiots will say. If those activities were as profitable, they would be doing that instead of wasting time smuggling marijuana. The problem isn't that Mexico is full of criminal masterminds that can't be stopped, it's that those criminals are fucking rich and it's because of us.

I'm happy to see that we're finally doing something about it, even if it's for other reasons.

BibiMaghoo

If legalized and across the country and I can smoke it without getting fired then I'll just smoke 24/7

Can you drink 24/7 and not get fired? You won't because you presumably like having a job, and just about every job that exists stipulates you show up in a fit state, ie, not drunk or wasted.

Hunter S.

Every time I think I have tried the greatest bud ever grown. Colorado goes and grows something greater. Oh, damn!

Great news!

according to Google

$20 is like what the end user would pay. But you have growers, processors, and retailers. The growers are wholesaling, in legal states, for considerably less than $10 a gram. That $20 has a ton of taxes built into it.

Chichikov

Honestly curious, what jobs in Colorado and Washington don't drug test?

Can't imagine there's too many
Most software companies wouldn't dream of doing it, and rightfully so, it would seriously hamper their chances of hiring good engineers.
But that's the thing about the software sector, there are more programming jobs than people who are qualified to fill them, so that bargaining power is on labor's side.
Feels good man.

and yet so many people are still okay with unpaid overtime. fucking class unconscious nerds.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
We'll just have to wait and see, I guess. But I don't think you really know what kind of human scum those people are.

Didn't gang related crime drop dramatically after we repealed prohibition?

jfoul

If I'm not mistaken, Washington alone has made over 580 million in tax revenue since legalization. It's only a matter of time that it will be legal in all states, or on a federal level.

uJPOW3v.png

Hip Hop

Yeah, I mean, it sure is hitting Marijuana hard but this void will easily be filled by harder drugs.

And now reverse smuggling is a thing as pointed out by the OP. Marijuana from the U.S. is getting smuggled to Mexico because of its high quality, and people down there are willing to pay for it.

I don't see the power struggle changing anytime soon in Mexico.

Tesseract

Banned
Yeah, I mean, it sure is hitting Marijuana hard but this void will easily be filled by harder drugs.

And now reverse smuggling is a thing as pointed out by the OP. Marijuana from the U.S. is getting smuggled to Mexico because of its high quality, and people down there are willing to pay for it.

I don't see the power struggle changing anytime soon in Mexico.

weed is all you need ~ hillary clinton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom