• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legal to carry Gun openly in Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A50416-2004Jul14?language=printer

some excerpts for those who don't register.

In Virginia, as in many states, carrying a concealed weapon requires a permit, issued by a local court. But no permit is required to simply wield a gun in the open, a right reinforced by a state law that took effect July 1. Not so in the District and Maryland, unless you're a police or federal officer....

"Crime is at 20-year lows in the county," Lt. Col. Charles K. Peters pointed out, even though the population is soaring. The county's homicide rate was the lowest in the nation last year among the 30 largest jurisdictions. "Hopefully no one feels the need to carry a gun, lawfully or unlawfully," Peters said. "But there's no question it is lawful to carry a gun on the street. So we've had to ensure that all of our officers are updated on the nuances of Virginia law that allow citizens to carry firearms in public places."

Carrying weapons openly was not unprecedented locally, Van Cleave said. He said that the defense league has a monthly meeting in Northern Virginia with 25 to 30 members and that most go out to dinner afterward with their sidearms openly visible. "We've had 40 people open carry, in a restaurant, with no problem," he said.

Van Cleave said the gun owners might have been out celebrating a law that took effect July 1. Virginia statute 15.2-915 now completely prohibits any locality from enacting any regulations on gun ownership, carrying, storage or purchase, except for rules related to the workforce. Alexandria, for example, had an ordinance prohibiting openly carrying guns. It is now invalid, Van Cleave said.

"It's like the Fourth of July," Van Cleave said. "A whole new set of freedoms came in. . . . All local gun control is completely and totally gone."

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Not surprising since National crime rates are also hovering near or below 20 year lows as well. I doubt the ability to carry your weapon is the prime factor influencing this in that particular county.

Oh, yeah. Newport News is pretty shitty. I goto Christopher Newport and I'm glad the campus isn't really all-too accessible to street-walkin Newport News folk.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
i saw the topic and read

"Legal to openly carry gun in vagina"

Naturally i was intrigued, the actualy topic has let me down some what.

MIMIC

Banned
I think we can do that here in Ohio. *scratches head* Or is that concealed?

Lemme check real quick...

EDIT: Nah, it's concealed.

teiresias

Virginia is full of people who think they're shit doesn't stink. It's also an interesting cross-fade from the South to the North in alot of ways. In any case, I'm from Chesterfield, a Richmond suburb, but work down in Hampton alot and am at UVA in Charlottesville.

Mrbob

I've been drinking a bit tonight (OMG HI2U I AM DRUNK) and I thought your thread title original said:

Legal to carry Gun openly in vagina

and i'm thinking WTF. But then i noticed it said Virginia!

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
The sentence about crime being at a low was actually preceded by this line:
Fairfax police are baffled by the sudden display of weaponry but assume it was done to make some sort of statement.
I think that gives it a bit of context, and Rip's careful editing gives me a warm chuckle.

PS Virginia sucks and its bowlers all sandbag like a bunch of Marys.

Renegade

Banned
violent.gif
violent_01.gif
I'm in Chesapeake. You can't fucks with us NOOOOO
violent.gif
violent_01.gif

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Am I the only one that thinks it is a sad state of affairs when people feel the need to openly carry a gun around all the time...or even that they want to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom