• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover |OT| This city has no ports

I'm trying to be patient with my local GameStop. But the Best Buy in town has the game available for pickup. Damn it...

I feel you. On Monday they told me it would be before Thurs. Yesterday I checked in and they said they couldn't give a time-frame. I went ahead and got a refund and picked it up at the Wal-Mart next door.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
why must amazon get it so late!! WHYYYYYY DIDNT I KNOW OF THE FEUUUUUUD! PROFOUND SORRROWWWW. This game looks like tons of fun damn it.

AzaK

Can someone tell me if the game is "gamey" in the sense that it provides challenge and interesting things to do whilst trying to obtain your objective?

Everything I hear so far suggests is not really a game for "Gamers" but more for children to wander around in a Lego world. I'd like to know it's different to that and would be a fun game in and of itself.

Does anyone have the disc that can time the initial load screen? I can do my digital load screen now.

39.5 seconds for the initial progress bar load screen (the first progress bar after you start up the game, so it's right after the tt games logo, etc.)
Timed from the moment the progress bar screen appeared to the moment the title screen appeared.

I'm hoping someone chimes in on this, since if there is a large enough difference in load times I'll save myself the wait from Gamestop and just download it.

AirBrian

Went to Target and Gears of War and God of War were both sold out. But they had Undercover in stock. Damn. Went across the street to Best Buy and picked it up -- both stores had plenty in stock. I guess I'll try another Target later this week to try and take advantage of the B2G1F deal.

NateDrake

Can someone tell me if the game is "gamey" in the sense that it provides challenge and interesting things to do whilst trying to obtain your objective?

Everything I hear so far suggests is not really a game for "Gamers" but more for children to wander around in a Lego world. I'd like to know it's different to that and would be a fun game in and of itself.

It's a fun game but you aren't going to be stuck on puzzles for any length of time. It's nearly identical to every Lego title released before it in terms of puzzles, combat, etc.. The appeal is the humor and endless amount of collectables.

dwu8991

Banned
It's a fun game but you aren't going to be stuck on puzzles for any length of time. It's nearly identical to every Lego title released before it in terms of puzzles, combat, etc.. The appeal is the humor and endless amount of collectables.

to be fair, most games nowadays are casual.
I'm playing AC3 for the first time and there's been not much of a challenge.

Unfortunately it's hardly even a Lego world. It's a realistic world with some Lego vehicles in it. But from the videos I've watched it does look pretty fun and charming.

Dragoshi1

Gotta do Chapter 8, now, woohoo!

When can we start buying vehicles from Police HQ? I've unlocked a LOT of cars, but I can't use any, as I assume, like the costumes, we have to purchase them with studs from the HQ.

Went to Target and Gears of War and God of War were both sold out. But they had Undercover in stock. Damn. Went across the street to Best Buy and picked it up -- both stores had plenty in stock. I guess I'll try another Target later this week to try and take advantage of the B2G1F deal.

Just bring your local target flyer to best buy and show customer service/check out the deal. They will price match it

jlscool

Called up Gamestop about my pre-order and they still don't have it from their shipment today :( Looked at their website and it says 3/22/2013 now. Don't know if I should just cancel. The game is already paid off, but I think over half of it is from Store Credit.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Yup. You'd be here all day if you tried to name all the lego things in the game. Certainly not just "some LEGO vehicles".

I've always seen the motif of TT's LEGO games as representing a kid playing with legos in real places. It's the figures, vehicles, set pieces, and little bits and bobs a kid would arrange then imagine that the place they are playing in, fills in the rest of the world.

NateDrake

I've always seen the motif of TT's LEGO games as representing a kid playing with legos in real places. It's the figures, vehicles, set pieces, and little bits and bobs a kid would arrange then imagine that the place they are playing in, fills in the rest of the world.

Likewise. I always took these games as being in a child's imagination with a Lego set. Exploring the city, stopping the character you decided to be an enemy, etc..

I'm really quite surprised to see so many people complaining about jaggies. They're not apparent to me while I play. I'm not sure if it's my TV (720p) or it's settings.
Or my eyes

There are brief moments when the game looks so good it could almost pass for a real set of LEGO.

AirBrian

Just bring your local target flyer to best buy and show customer service/check out the deal. They will price match it

The last time I tried this they would not price match (was the TRU deal back in Sep/Oct?). But I will call to see if this has changed with their new price matching policy. Thanks for the heads-up.

Berg

Did any one notice in the
prison
, the mission to find the missing
basketball
, the prisoners you have to fight kept saying press "X" but i really had to press "Y".

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

This is how I see it too. Like you are a kid and take your LEGO sets and arrange them in a real landscape.

RobbieNick

The map in the OP does not represent the game at all. It's HUGE! Plenty of stuff to do.

This is easily my favorite Lego game so far and I've played them all.

stuminus3

This is an awesome way of looking at these games.

When can we start buying vehicles from Police HQ? I've unlocked a LOT of cars, but I can't use any, as I assume, like the costumes, we have to purchase them with studs from the HQ.
You can buy them anytime, just go to the requisition's desk in the basement of the police station and buy them from the guy there.

deviljho

I don't see any conspiracy theory in my post. In fact, I thought I agreed with you about this just being Nintendo's normal shipping policy. It does suck that Nintendo listed Monday as a "release date" and also sent out emails on Monday saying "AVAILABLE NOW", though.

lol. Yeah, I was agreeing with you, not pointing out any conspiracy theories in your post. It's all good.

Just called my local GS.

Me: Do you have LCU in yet?

GS flunky: No. We'll probably get it in tomorrow. It was supposed to be released by now but what happened was someone started selling it early so Nintendo pulled the game from store shelves. Now they're shipping it out again. That's why it's delayed.

I shit you not that's what he told me.

Just called my local GS.

Me: Do you have LCU in yet?

GS flunky: No. We'll probably get it in tomorrow. It was supposed to be released by now but what happened was someone started selling it early so Nintendo pulled the game from store shelves. Now they're shipping it out again. That's why it's delayed.

I shit you not that's what he told me.

That sounds like a reasonable and completely rational thing to do, oh yes.

CoolS

Unfortunately it's hardly even a Lego world. It's a realistic world with some Lego vehicles in it. But from the videos I've watched it does look pretty fun and charming.

Apparently, everything in the game that is made out of LEGO can be built/bought for real as well. I think it was one of the games the developers had. Plus, what everyone else said :)

Actually, I do feel a little bit disappointed that not all buildings are made off Lego, but nitpicking the game for that would be a disservice.

That's probably the point, I think it might be near impossible to do actual skyscrapers out of real lego pieces. Either that or it wouldn't look that great.

Guys! Red Bricks! When/how do I get the keycard for the basement? I'm on chapter 3.

Go to the police basement, I think the key card is near the requisitions desk, just bash everything around that area, it also might be right from the elevator with the grapple gun. You may also have to sleuth near the lift, but it isn't too hard to find. The red brick console is just up the lift. Double studs helps tremendously.

Effect

I never got why this bothered people. When you play with real legos that's how things look. You use legos in combination with real world items and locations. Unless kids are different these days I don't think I ever played with just the legos and only those when I was small.

Mine didn't.

So this sucks...

I had 14.98 in my account this morning...I buy Punch-Out, now it's 14.68...wife gives me 35 for my birthday so it's up to 49.68...

DAMNIT. Had to buy a ten pointer for it :(

You don't like linking credit cards to the eshop? You could have just played the remainder with one

Mine didn't.

So this sucks...

I had 14.98 in my account this morning...I buy Punch-Out, now it's 14.68...wife gives me 35 for my birthday so it's up to 49.68...

When you buy something in the e-shop and you don't have enough funds it gives you the option of adding the difference so you don't have to buy the full increment.

massoluk

Banned
Hey how do you save, I thought it auto saves, played for around 20 minutes now right back in the beginning of game, ugh.

Disguise booth can save the game, you can unlock it after chapter 1

- Beat Chapter 1
- Go back to the Police Station
- Go to the basement
- Talk to lady behind the requasitions counter
- Go down the stairs to the gym area
- Break Police box
- Build Booth
- Booth boxes are now unlocked across Lego City

deviljho

You can pay the balance with a credit card at the time of purchase instead of using the credit card to add funds before purchase/check out.... unless you are buying funds through physical cards.

Top Bottom