• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover |OT| This city has no ports

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If this is a European code, the O is far "fatter" than the 0 on the cards now, and the 1 and the I are distinguishable.

Thanks. I've tried different combinations. I'll give it another go later.

Back to the game. Is this the best game on WiiU at the moment. I really do think it is.
And I'm loving the humour. Some bits are very funny.

Thanks. I've tried different combinations. I'll give it another go later.

Back to the game. Is this the best game on WiiU at the moment. I really do think it is.
And I'm loving the humour. Some bits are very funny.

I really believe that the lack of a big license adds to the story / characterisation than, as Edge stated, detracts. Also, the missions are far better paced than before. I really liked DC Superheroes, but I think this is a far better package overall.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I really believe that the lack of a big license adds to the story / characterisation than, as Edge stated, detracts. Also, the missions are far better paced than before. I really liked DC Superheroes, but I think this is a far better package overall.

I'm just watching my kids play it and its a joy to watch.

There seems to be loads to do and there are lots of really nice touches to the game. I really do love the open world approach to this. Sure you get channeled into completing missions in a linear manner but it still feels like an open world game.

And yes, the visuals aren't next gen but it looks solid enough.

cyberheater

I can't stop laughing at this game, holy shit.

Yes. I has some of the best one liners I've heard in a game for a long time.

To be honest. One of the things that's really great about this title is the dialogue. There's tons of it and it's almost always quite funny and varied.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

TT pushes their writing ability further in this game than they have before. And also the "maturity" level while skirting the game's rating and remaining kid-friendly.

To me this is easily the best Lego game they've ever made and by a large degree.

Given Nintendo was seriously involved with the development, I would suspect it's similar to what happened with Next Level punching above their weight with Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon. (Or for that matter, Nintendo closely overseeing Retro on their projects.)

With people outside of this thread still laughing at this game, and almost everyone in here loving it, I wish there was a way to get the word out on GAF that this is actually really great.

I was thinking about making a thread about the games credits and Nintendo's heavy involvement in the game but I'm not sure if that alone is thread worthy.

How about a review thread?

To be honest. One of the things that's really great about this title is the dialogue. There's tons of it and it's almost always quite funny and varied.

My favorite part is that a lot of it is subtle enough where I didn't even get it until a couple of seconds later.

Like that "Elementary" joke at the beginning. I was too distracted by the fact that Sherlock Holmes was in the game, and I thought it was him just saying his signature catchphrase.

Then two seconds later I burst out laughing.

I just started chapter 10. I LOVE THIS GAME. In the story theres always new things to do. It never gets boring. The english dub is absolutely brilliant and the humor is absolutely fantastic.

Im nearing the 11 hour game time mark after just 2 days and theres still SOOO much to do. I love that theres tons of ckontect right out of the box.

The only games that managed me to invest so much time at once were the Galaxy games and Saints Row 2 and 3.

While this game has its technical weakspots, it more than makes up for it with content and the humor!

Berg

I can't believe how closely the voice actors can imitate the hollywood starts they're imitating. the Schwarzenegger imitation was a really stand part for me.

cyberheater

I can't believe how closely the voice actors can imitate the hollywood starts they're imitating. the Schwarzenegger imitation was a really stand part for me.

Yeah it's really great. I love all the movie references.

TT pushes their writing ability further in this game than they have before. And also the "maturity" level while skirting the game's rating and remaining kid-friendly.

To me this is easily the best Lego game they've ever made and by a large degree.

Given Nintendo was seriously involved with the development, I would suspect it's similar to what happened with Next Level punching above their weight with Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon. (Or for that matter, Nintendo closely overseeing Retro on their projects.)

It feels more substantial in general. Sure, there's plenty of repetition but it's mixed up; as I said, the pacing is far superior to what I've come to expect from the (largely enjoyable) TT Lego games.

zigg

I can't stop laughing at this game, holy shit.
I was driving the old rich guy to the police station, and at about 2/3 of the way there the conversation ended. Then he just starts making random comments about how nice of a day it is, etc. His delivery was perfect... I nearly lost it. I turned the corner and made sure to drive in circles for a little bit to see what else he'd say. Eventually he starts asking when we're going to get there and mentions that he really needs to use the lavatory. Great stuff.

qwerty2k

This really is fantastic. So much to do it's unreal, literally every corner you go around there is new stuff to do. My only slight gripe is i wish some of the stuff showed up on the map once you've discovered it, im early on in the story (put nearly 8 hours in and on chapter 5) so i've found lots of stuff to do but i don't yet have the costumes so im a bit worried i will forget where it all is to go back and find it later :(. That aside the game really is amazing, so funny, great dialogue, good pacing and for me it makes a nice change to play a somewhat relaxing game.

addyb

Well reading this thread is killing me. My wife missed delivery yesterday so can only collect this and Luigi's from my depot tomorrow. I'm then out and about all weekend so realistically won't get to play this until Monday.

This really is fantastic. So much to do it's unreal, literally every corner you go around there is new stuff to do. My only slight gripe is i wish some of the stuff showed up on the map once you've discovered it, im early on in the story (put nearly 8 hours in and on chapter 5) so i've found lots of stuff to do but i don't yet have the costumes so im a bit worried i will forget where it all is to go back and find it later :(. That aside the game really is amazing, so funny, great dialogue, good pacing and for me it makes a nice change to play a somewhat relaxing game.

Thats the only thing that bugged me a bit, they shouldve pinned things to the map but I can see why they didnt, theres just way too much stuff, map would be cluttered, I wouldve liked the races, stealing cars etc pinned at least but yea the game is just great.

There already is a review thread, unless you mean one specifically for GAF member opinions.

I thought so. Hmm...not sure what else would work...

What about a "LCU is easily the best lego game yet" or "What can future Lego games learn from LCU?"

And yes, I am aware these sound like IGN articles :D

CoolS

What about a "LCU is easily the best lego game yet" or "What can future Lego games learn from LCU?"

Yeah that might work but I'll wait untill I have played the game myself a bit, which won't be untill Wednesday or so.

bndadm

I'd almost go so far, since there's been so much third party drought on the Wii U, that you could title it along the lines of: "How Lego City Undercover proves the Wii U as a viable third-party platform" or something.

I joke not when I said I bought the Wii U this weekend just for this game. It'll take me months to finish it, just when more releases come out. It's a stellar game and a great fit for Wii U.

CoolS

I'd almost go so far, since there's been so much third party drought on the Wii U, that you could title it along the lines of: "How Lego City Undercover proves the Wii U as a viable third-party platform" or something.

I joke not when I said I bought the Wii U this weekend just for this game. It'll take me months to finish it, just when more releases come out. It's a stellar game and a great fit for Wii U.

That topic would probably end very, very badly the way the WiiU is seen on here right know. Especially since there are a lot of bad news regarding no support of big engines (Frostbit, UE4 and so on). At least this game gives me hope there will be great new titles announced in the next Direct or at least at E3.

Except the issue with that is Lego City Undercover is a 1st-party Nintendo game. It's not third-party.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I've never really played one of these open world whatever games, and I'll tell ya, this one seems sorta interesting to me. It's that you're not just a despicable person in it, I think. You get to do that free-roamin kinda stuff without being a sociopathic serial killer who murders and steals from everyone he sees. You're playing as a "good guy," which I like. Maybe I'll pick it up if I ever convince myself I'm allowed to play video games instead of work.

I've never really played one of these open world whatever games, and I'll tell ya, this one seems sorta interesting to me. It's that you're not just a despicable person in it, I think. You get to do that free-roamin kinda stuff without being a sociopathic serial killer who murders and steals from everyone he sees. You're playing as a "good guy," which I like. Maybe I'll pick it up if I ever convince myself I'm allowed to play video games instead of work.

I adore the fact that, despite it being inspired by Grand Theft Auto, you don't kill innocent civilians. You don't kill the bad guys. You either handcuff them away or knock them to their feet for a brief second. It's a much-needed, refreshing break from all of the mindless slaughter you would expect from that genre.

:)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Except the issue with that is Lego City Undercover is a 1st-party Nintendo game. It's not third-party.

It's definitely third party, it's just Nintendo published. Like Bayonetta 2. I think that method is gonna be their best bet on the Wii U anyway, though. Less focus on getting multiplatform games, more focus on third parties making dedicated Wii U titles, with Nintendo providing financial assistance where necessary.

bndadm

Ah, goodness, then ignore me. Thanks for the information. I guess that's what all thosecredits/titles posts were about earlier then.

And CoolS has a point - a thread title like that will most likely degenerate into unnecessary fanboy-ism or accusations of such.

I just... I just really like this game a lot!

It's definitely third party, it's just Nintendo published. Like Bayonetta 2. I think that method is gonna be their best bet on the Wii U anyway, though. Less focus on getting multiplatform games, more focus on third parties making dedicated Wii U titles, with Nintendo providing financial assistance where necessary.

If Nintendo funds the project, it's just as much of a Nintendo game as Mario or Zelda.

Whoever makes it is irrelevant.

bryanee

Well fuck you every store close by. No money in the bank so I cant order online until next week. So I went to

Morrisons - Didn't have it
24hr Asda - Didn't have it or any other Wii U stuff
24hr Tesco - Didn't have it or any other Wii U stuff
Blockbuster - Didn't have it and most of their Wii U stuff is gone

Urrrgh.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Bought this last night, started playing at 8, stopped when I realized it was almost 6am. Man this game is good.

When does the terminal outside the police station unlock?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
If Nintendo funds the project, it's just as much of a Nintendo game as Mario or Zelda.

Whoever makes it is irrelevant.

Heh well that's.. not true at all. They published Dragon Quest IX in North America while Square Enix published it in Japan. They published Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, and that game was definitely originally built without their involvement. There are a fair number of titles where they pay for distribution in certain territories but not for the development whatsoever.

It's certainly fair to make a list of "Nintendo Games" that are defined by Nintendo as publisher, but that doesn't change a game from third party to first party. "First party" by definition means developed by a studio that is a wholly owned Nintendo subsidiary.

Heh well that's.. not true at all. They published Dragon Quest IX in North America while Square Enix published it in Japan. They published Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, and that game was definitely originally built without their involvement. There are a fair number of titles where they pay for distribution in certain territories but not for the development whatsoever.

It's certainly fair to make a list of "Nintendo Games" that are defined by Nintendo as publisher, but that doesn't change a game from third party to first party. "First party" by definition means developed by a studio that is a wholly owned Nintendo subsidiary.

Nintendo internally refers to their "1st-party lineup" as "games that Nintendo has funded." I'm going by that metric.

Game Freak is a third-party studio. Would you consider the Pokemon games "first-party"? I certainly would. And yet...the games are not made by a 1st-party Nintendo subsidiary...fancy that. Such a dilemma!

You're right, games that Nintendo decides to distribute in specific countries (Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge in America, or Harvest Moon in Australia) are not 1st-party titles.

But LEGO City Undercover's development was very likely funded by Nintendo.

So Tt Fusion is acting like Game Freak with Pokemon, or Silicon Knights with Eternal Darkness...they're a third-party studio creating a 1st-party title.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
But LEGO City Undercover's development was very likely funded by Nintendo.

Therein lies the rub. Do we know they funded it? Or are they just paying for the distribution? With other Wii U games being only distributed, I'm not so sure. That's the big line, for me. A fully funded title will typically involve Nintendo input at a development level, while just paying for distribution implies no actual involvement in the software itself, and I consider a first party game to carry with it an implication of Nintendo as a developer, not just a publisher.

Should I just wait to explore the city until I get more costumes? I'm trying to explore right now, but it feels too limiting at this point (I'm on Chapter 2).

Therein lies the rub. Do we know they funded it? Or are they just paying for the distribution? That's the big line, for me. A fully funded title will typically involve Nintendo input at a development level, while just paying for distribution implies no actual involvement in the software itself, and I consider a first party game to carry with it an implication of Nintendo as a developer, not just a publisher.

1. We know that Nintendo funded the localization

2. We know that Nintendo is funding the worldwide distribution and marketing

3. We know that at least several producers from Nintendo oversaw the development of the game

4. We know that Nintendo has "planned the game" with Tt Fusion

5. We know that Nintendo passed the game through a rigorous internal testing process

I'd be very surprised if Nintendo didn't at least partially fund the development of this game.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

3. We know that at least several producers from Nintendo oversaw the development of the game

5. We know that Nintendo passed the game through a rigorous internal testing process

I'd be very surprised if Nintendo didn't at least partially fund the development of this game.

I mean if those bullets are indeed the case, then sure! Got a link for those? Was there an Iwata Asks I missed? I don't remember reading a lot about Nintendo's involvement in the title.

If it doesnt say developed by Nintendo I dont consider the game to be a 1st party Nintendo game imo, dont care how much they supervised it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Should I just wait to explore the city until I get more costumes? I'm trying to explore right now, but it feels too limiting at this point (I'm on Chapter 2).

Without costumes there are too many things locked. But I know how tempting is just to walk/drive around.
And I MUST have all the bricks.

I mean if those bullets are indeed the case, then sure! Got a link for those? Was there an Iwata Asks I missed? I don't remember reading a lot about Nintendo's involvement in the title.

Let me elaborate on the list I made earlier.

There is an abundance of NOA + NOE localization staff in the credits

Also:

Client: Nintendo
Brief: FIGS, Dut, Dan, Rus, Port language production

In addition to recording the English version of LEGO City: Undercover, Side were commissioned by Nintendo to cast, direct and record all the foreign versions.

The localised versions have met with excellent reviews for the voice work across all territories.
http://www.side.com/work/localisation_work/?artid=147&pageNum=0&blk=86

LEGO City Undercover Nintendo WUP-APLE-USA 03/18/13 US E10+
LEGO City Undercover Nintendo WUP-APLP-EUR 03/28/13 EU 7+
LEGO City Undercover Nintendo WUP-APLP-AUS 03/28/13 AU PG
LEGO City Undercover Nintendo TBA JP A

Self-explanatory.

* MASAKAZU MIYAZAKI from Nintendo oversaw LEGO City Undercover development

* AZUSA TAJIMA from Nintendo oversaw LEGO City Undercover development

* SHINYA TAKAHASHI from Nintendo oversaw LEGO City Undercover development and finances

TODD BUECHELE from Nintendo coordinated the LEGO City Undercover project with Tt Fusion

MIKE FUKUDA
TOM PRATA
TIM BECHTEL were the executives from Nintendo of America involved in meetings and planning with Tt Fusion and LEGO.

TAKAO YAMANE
TIM SYMONS were the executives from Nintendo of Europe involved in meetings and planning with Tt Fusion and LEGO.

SATORU IWATA was the chief executive who approved the goahead for Nintendo's involvement in this project.

* 15 Testers from Nintendo were involved in debugging and testing the game

* NOA Product Testing Technicians also contributed their support

* Around 12 Nintendo employees, including famous ones like KENSUKE TANABE, KOJI KONDO, and TSUYOSHI WATANABE contributed support to this project

If it doesnt say developed by Nintendo I dont consider the game to be a 1st party Nintendo game imo, dont care how much they supervised it.

So you don't consider Pokemon a 1st-party Nintendo game? Nintendo doesn't develop that either...GAME FREAK develops Pokemon. And Game Freak, like Tt Fusion, is a third-party studio.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Thanks for the research! Interesting stuff there. It's certainly nothing as involved as if they were working on an actual Nintendo property (Luigi's Mansion), but there's a fair amount going on there.

So you don't consider Pokemon a 1st-party Nintendo game? Nintendo doesn't develop that either...GAME FREAK develops Pokemon. And Game Freak, like Tt Fusion, is a third-party studio.

Well Game Freak is kind of a special case. They're "technically" third party, but they literally only make Nintendo games, and the Pokemon license is joined-owned by three companies, and marketed by a fourth.

For more "traditional" cases, I get the guy's point. When I think 1st Party, I think "Nintendo's people made it." It's the characteristic I look for in a Nintendo game, and the driving force behind why Nintendo's games are good. "Their people made it." When you slap "Nintendo" on products where they primarily just contributed money, it dilutes the term.

Check out Sleeping Dogs.

Therein lies the rub. Do we know they funded it? Or are they just paying for the distribution? With other Wii U games being only distributed, I'm not so sure. That's the big line, for me. A fully funded title will typically involve Nintendo input at a development level, while just paying for distribution implies no actual involvement in the software itself, and I consider a first party game to carry with it an implication of Nintendo as a developer, not just a publisher.

The credits to the game show how much involvement Nintendo had, and it was clearly a lot.

Top Bottom