• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

I actually was in line with two in my hand, but I thought for $9, I should be getting three figures, not two. I put them back and walked out.

Can't wait to see how badly these places gouge us when the $3.99 Simpsons and Series 14 come out :mad:

I'm really curious to see if the new CMF line can support the $3.99 price. $3.99 for a licensed line like the Simpsons is understandable, but the same price for unlicensed figures? I think Lego is going to look back and see that it was a bad move.

mrkgoo

Ran over to the Glendale TRU after filling out some paperwork at Lego, they actually have THREE boxes of Movie CMF but they're selling them for $4.49 each. They're supposed to be $2.99, I could deal with $3.49 or maybe even $3.99, but a whole $1.50 over MSRP for blind bags? Fuck off TRU. Fuck right off.

What is "CMF"? Collectible mini figures? I thought these were everywhere ....

But yeah US $4.49 is crazy. Hell, we don't even pay that over here in Nz!

mrkgoo

I'm really curious to see if the new CMF line can support the $3.99 price. $3.99 for a licensed line like the Simpsons is understandable, but the same price for unlicensed figures? I think Lego is going to look back and see that it was a bad move.

I think Lego is at such a fever pitch right now they stand to make more money.

The collector's will still buy them and the casuals like myself who only pick up a couple favourite from each series will still pick up the same couple.

They will lose a few people and sales of course but not 20 % enough to create a loss over previous sales. Not to mention even at 20%sales loss, they're probably still saving more money in less distribution and manufacturing costs.

It's probably more that they see a lot of unsold minifigs, so by reducing manufacturing amount and increasing price they can save costs.

Increasing sales by having a low price isn't always the most profitable target for a business. There's a sweet spot that is always changing depending on the market situation.

I think Lego is at such a fever pitch right now they stand to make more money.

The collector's will still buy them and the casuals like myself who only pick up a couple favourite from each series will still pick up the same couple.

They will lose a few people and sales of course but not 20 % enough to create a loss over previous sales. Not to mention even at 20%sales loss, they're probably still saving more money in less distribution and manufacturing costs.

It's probably more that they see a lot of unsold minifigs, so by reducing manufacturing amount and increasing price they can save costs.

Increasing sales by having a low price isn't always the most profitable target for a business. There's a sweet spot that is always changing depending on the market situation.

We'll see what happens after Simpsons. It will definitely reduce volume of purchases at $3.99 for regular CMFs. I will be hesitant to buy as many multiples. It's still an impulse buy though so maybe casual buyers won't be affected so much. I think speculators will also be less likely to buy large quantities. The CMFs better have a lot more accessories or something for a 33% increase in price.

Now, if they were Super Hero CMFs, I'd pay $3.99 in a heartbeat. :)

I think Marvel/DC licensed CMFs could be even more expensive than that. I'm positively sure they would sell like hotcakes, though. Make it happen Lego ! :)

I would guess they have the same thing going against them as the one governing selling Star Wars figures separately. ie: that would count as an action figure and someone else already has that licence

Too bad. I really would up my already considerable Lego buying to the next level for a superhero themed CMF line!

Speaking of superheros...

How about a Fantastic Four set that is just the minifigs and the Fantasticar? Mre realistically, how about a couple of sets with each one fighting a famed Fantastic Four villain (Mole Man, Super Skrull, Annihilus, ect)? Do the Fatasticar with 2 members and a villain, and a couple of sets with the other members and an ally or 2? Silver Surfer and Namor? Yes please! How about a HERBIE polybag on the side?

The Fantastic Four could have a run better then the TMNT line they have going right now.

Zerojul

I would guess they have the same thing going against them as the one governing selling Star Wars figures separately. ie: that would count as an action figure and someone else already has that licence
Thanks fo clearing that up, I wasn't aware of that licensing deal restriction. I'd like to know the details though, I mean technically if their license is for "Building toys" only, you need to "build" your minifig, at least head torso and legs are apart... Would a 6~10$ polybag with a few parts (ala Hawkeye with equipment/Robin and Redbird Cycle) be OK ? Because I believe they would sell almost as much, even at that price point.

How about a Fantastic Four set that is just the minifigs and the Fantasticar? Mre realistically, how about a couple of sets with each one fighting a famed Fantastic Four villain (Mole Man, Super Skrull, Annihilus, ect)? Do the Fatasticar with 2 members and a villain, and a couple of sets with the other members and an ally or 2? Silver Surfer and Namor? Yes please! How about a HERBIE polybag on the side?

The Fantastic Four could have a run better then the TMNT line they have going right now.
I would buy anything FF related. Throw me some Inhumans on top of that, they could make for some nice minifigs.
What I would really love though is a huge Galactus, with the same proportions as a regular minifig and the sime size as say UCS R2, but made out of bricks. With a little Silver Surfer, or even other heralds like Firelord or Terrax. A man can dream :)

Has anyone seen this Helms Deep before? http://m.imgur.com/a/Pyz97
Stunning.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone know anybody interested in sculptures? I want to get rid of my 3724 Dragon for a good/fair price.

Also, I've got a Brandenburg Gate and a Farnsworth House Architecture set that I don't really want anymore that I'll dump for cheap. I hate to use this is a "Selling" thread, but I'd rather put it here for you guys vs BST.

kapowza

picked up another Galaxy Dudes set cheap at tescos, the Hive Crawler. The clicking legs are deliciously creepy. I think I have enough motors and stuff to make it remote controllable, if I can find the box of spares from Monster Dino.

this was a pretty successfull, only took a bit of fiddling to fit a couple of motors on the underside and the battery box in the bum where the catapault used to sit. I just need bigger motors cos the medium ones aren't quite up to making it turn. The dog HATES it.

I think I'll buy the bat vs bane tomorrow. I'll only regret it tomorrow if I don't. I'll definitely pick up a coat for bane as well. I might have to make Wetwired's Tumbler. How much does it cost to bricklink the pieces?

Has anyone seen this Helms Deep before? http://m.imgur.com/a/Pyz97

Haha. Nice anachronism.

n4NmudSl.jpg

I'm not sure if I asked before but do we know how long each series of Mixels is suppose to be in-stores? Right now I have all the red ones but i'm holding off on the other ones till a bogo or something comes up.

Started to build the Jedi Defender last night and made it through the first three, of six, bags. Fantastic built so far. This is my first expericr with building a SW ship that's in 1000 piece range. I love how the ship's skeleton is heavily based in technic pieces.

Crappy iPhone 5 photos of bag 1 through 3 progression:

Meijrs having buy 1 get 50% off on all
city sets. My wife picked up the Coast Guard boat and a police river patrol!

I can't wait to get my hands on that ship after work.

I may very well go back for more later.

Started to build the Jedi Defender last night and made it through the first three, of six, bags. Fantastic built so far. This is my first expericr with building a SW ship that's in 1000 piece range. I love how the ship's skeleton is heavily based in technic pieces.

It's a really great ship. I'm glad I got it before the TRU tax was applied.

I'm resisting that ship unless I can get it for 40+% off. Great minifigs with it too.

I can't wait to get my hands on that ship after work.

I may very well go back for more later.

Yep, married with kids, I know all about it. :) When in the beginning of a relationship, "that ship" would not be the usual words in above sentence.

Ironmask

I need some help guys, a guy offered me his "Unexpected Gathering" and "Gandalf arrives" without minifigs, but wants me to offer first.
What is a reasonable price for both?

i'm looking to use them as a base for a wider hobbit house diorama to build during Easter...

Falch

I need some help guys, a guy offered me his "Unexpected Gathering" and "Gandalf arrives" without minifigs, but wants me to offer first.

i'm looking to use them as a base for a wider hobbit house diorama to build during Easter...

Check bricklink for the prices of the minifigs alone, than subtract that and a bit more from the retail price of the sets.

Rootbeer

Banned

Don't say that :( I really love the TMNT line and I don't want it to end.

FF would be great and all but not if that's the price!

Y'all better buy the upcoming T-Sub :)

606854-700x700.jpg

And if you're not already watching the show... fix that error as well!

I would say $20 for unexpected gathering and $5 for Gandalf arrives.

I'm confused now as to how they do inventory of Hulk keychains.

I went back to the LEGO store today and decided to check the Hulk keychains to see if they all were single- or double-sided heads. All of the ones they had out were now double-sided. Perhaps some old inventory.

Anyway, if you plan on removing the keychain you can check if the Hulk is single- or double-sided easily. The hair piece doesn't cover the print completely so you can the other print. If you want to make sure, you can rotate the hair piece with little effort.

Wal Mart here had a ton of sets on "clearance." And by "clearance", I mean marked down 5-15% off MSRP. Yeah, that $10 off Jabba's Sail Barge sure is a deal. (rolls eyes)

To be honest, part of the reason is that I was spoiled by our own wetwired's Tumbler, which is absolutely sensational. Instructions here:

http://www.brentwaller.com/Tumbler/

That tumbler looks ace. Does anyone know if the instructions contain the improvements wetwired made to the design on the camouflage tumbler?

Also is there an easy way to get all the pieces for that design on bricklink or do I have to search for each piece individually? I've never made up unofficial design before. Thanks

Ponn

Banned
Don't say that :( I really love the TMNT line and I don't want it to end.

FF would be great and all but not if that's the price!

Y'all better buy the upcoming T-Sub :)

And if you're not already watching the show... fix that error as well!

SMELL THE CHEESE!

I just wish they would get their act together with scheduling. I missed the last couple episodes because they silently moved back to fridays and they take forever to put new episodes up on demand.

Unfortunately i'm not really feeling these new TMNT sets, i' might bite on Spyder Byte set. I would like Leatherhead but everything else is uninteresting to me.

as weird as it sounds and it'll likely never happen, I'd kill for a manatee figure :)

on that same note I'm super stoaked about the new Dewback. Makes me more ok I missed the original one.

Anyone guestimate the cost of the new Jawas?

as weird as it sounds and it'll likely never happen, I'd kill for a manatee figure :)

on that same note I'm super stoaked about the new Dewback. Makes me more ok I missed the original one.

Anyone guestimate the cost of the new Jawas?

Besides missing out on UCS Millenium Falcon, some Indiana Jones, and a couple Harry Potter stuff, I'm also very glad I missed a lot of the older stuff. It was the news of the Super Hero theme that made me cave in come out of the dark ages. I was all over the Lex Luthor Power Armor set when it first came out. Superman and Wonder Woman minifigs may or may not have celebrated intimately after defeating Lex Luthor. Nuff said.

Tuvoc

Went to the local LEGO store today only to fill my free pick-a-brick box from December, since I figured i'd be starting my new job very soon, so I should just get it done while I have free time. Then ofcourse, I walked in the store and the employee told me they had more Martian Manhunters in stock.

So i ended up leaving with Hulk Lab Smash, SW V-Wing Starfighter, all 3 fire mixels, and of course my free pick-a-bricks. I don't even know anything about most of the DC Universe. The only reason i got it was because I knew after this month he's gonna be worth some money to some people.

Needless to say, I have a problem...or so I keep telling myself that. But hey it could be worse right? Spending money on LEGO is a much better habit than, say Heroin.

I'm not sad about it. I just can't believe what I end up spending in there when I go in telling myself I have a set budget, lol.

edit: I only blame LEGO-Gaf for about 20% of my problem, lol...and maybe 10% or so because of the Eurobrick forums ;) Also, I was pissed cuz my lego store had no 2x2 flat squres, in any color. So I got a bunch of stuff that I dunno if I'll ever even use for MOC's. They must've gotten a lot of free box traffic at their PAB wall so they put mostly stuff they wanted to get rid of. The entire wall was basic crap aside from some nice dark green cheese slopes, which I got a butt-load of.

Went to the local LEGO store today only to fill my free pick-a-brick box from December, since I figured i'd be starting my new job very soon, so I should just get it done while I have free time. Then ofcourse, I walked in the store and the employee told me they had more Martian Manhunters in stock.

So i ended up leaving with Hulk Lab Smash, SW V-Wing Starfighter, all 3 fire mixels, and of course my free pick-a-bricks. I don't even know anything about most of the DC Universe. The only reason i got it was because I knew after this month he's gonna be worth some money to some people.

Needless to say, I have a problem...or so I keep telling myself that. But hey it could be worse right? Spending money on LEGO is a much better habit than, say Heroin.

I'm not sad about it. I just can't believe what I end up spending in there when I go in telling myself I have a set budget, lol.

edit: I only blame LEGO-Gaf for about 20% of my problem, lol...and maybe 10% or so because of the Eurobrick forums ;) Also, I was pissed cuz my lego store had no 2x2 flat squres, in any color. So I got a bunch of stuff that I dunno if I'll ever even use for MOC's. They must've gotten a lot of free box traffic at their PAB wall so they put mostly stuff they wanted to get rid of. The entire wall was basic crap aside from some nice dark green cheese slopes, which I got a butt-load of.

Can you reuse Heroin? Can you resell (at a good price) Heroin after using it? Premium ABS plastic is a better addiction. It's still an addiction, but it's better!

Most stores around the Los Angeles area are all out of Martian Manhunter. There is one in Costa Mesa that is on their last box of them. This re-enforces my thought that running out of Martian Manhunter may have been due to people wanting all the new sets released and get free shipping which is the same price point as free Martian Manhunter (dang run-on sentence). At the beginning of this month many stated that LEGO S@H was sold out of a lot of the newer sets people wanted.

Speaking of new sets, I STILL haven't seen Cloud Cukoo Palace since that first week it released. If I hadn't dragged my feet on seeing the movie, I would have had that set already.

Tuvoc

Can you reuse Heroin? Can you resell (at a good price) Heroin after using it? Premium ABS plastic is a better addiction. It's still an addiction, but it's better!

Very good point, bro!

Most stores around the Los Angeles area are all out of Martian Manhunter. There is one in Costa Mesa that is on their last box of them. This re-enforces my thought that running out of Martian Manhunter may have been due to people wanting all the new sets released and get free shipping which is the same price point as free Martian Manhunter (dang run-on sentence). At the beginning of this month many stated that LEGO S@H was sold out of a lot of the newer sets people wanted.

I plan on keeping him unopened. In hopes of being worth something decent one day. You think that'd be likely? Otherwise he'll definitely show up in my MOCs in the far future :)

Besides missing out on UCS Millenium Falcon, some Indiana Jones, and a couple Harry Potter stuff, I'm also very glad I missed a lot of the older stuff. It was the news of the Super Hero theme that made me cave in come out of the dark ages. I was all over the Lex Luthor Power Armor set when it first came out. Superman and Wonder Woman minifigs may or may not have celebrated intimately after defeating Lex Luthor. Nuff said.

My caving in was primarily for the LotR sets, but oddly enough the set that dragged me back in was the Droid Escape set (first Lego purchase in years). Sandtroopers done right was something I could not deny since they still stand as my favorite thing in SW as crazy as that sounds.

wetwired

That tumbler looks ace. Does anyone know if the instructions contain the improvements wetwired made to the design on the camouflage tumbler?

Also is there an easy way to get all the pieces for that design on bricklink or do I have to search for each piece individually? I've never made up unofficial design before. Thanks

I didn't really do too many improvements, just replaced the 1x1 cheese slopes with 1x2 ones where I could, for the most part they're identical.

Rootbeer

Banned
Wal Mart here had a ton of sets on "clearance." And by "clearance", I mean marked down 5-15% off MSRP. Yeah, that $10 off Jabba's Sail Barge sure is a deal. (rolls eyes)

amazon hasn't been having any good sales either these past two or three weeks. Usually there's always a few things being marked down. Only thing they are marking down are those $20 Superhero sets but those are always being marked down.

I'm worried that LEGO's boosted popularity will lead to fewer deals.

Fowler

I got the pieces from wetwired, he used to sell them on his site...

amazon hasn't been having any good sales either these past two or three weeks. Usually there's always a few things being marked down. Only thing they are marking down are those $20 Superhero sets but those are always being marked down.

I'm worried that LEGO's boosted popularity will lead to fewer deals.

We were just getting spoiled with clearance level sales on new sets. 20% is almost guaranteed if you wait long enough.

Do not worry. Overstock is our friend. Eventually retailers will order too much and demand will drop. It's still a few months away from the summer clearance to make room for the next wave.

Zerojul

Guys I'm trying to get Jabba's Palace with the best deal possible. Euro MSRP is 144,99€. I found it for 95,99€. Do you think it can get any cheaper than that ? I think it's still quite pricey considering I still need to get Rancor pit to have a full set. But I don't want to wait too much and have to pay resseller premium bucks for it... Sets seem to disappear much faster in Europe for some reason.

I didn't really do too many improvements, just replaced the 1x1 cheese slopes with 1x2 ones where I could, for the most part they're identical.

Cool. Thanks for the reply. Great Tumbler design. It blows the one out of the The Bat vs Bane set out of the water. Do you know if it's possible to use the bricks in that set to create the camouflage Tumbler without having to spray them?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
30th birthday coming at the end of next month, going to ask for a Delorean as a gift. Think I can just about get away with that without my girlfriend rolling her eyes too much! Everything else I have is at work and out of the way. Would be nice to have that sitting next to wetwired's Tumbler
and Ecto-1 eventually
though.

Tuvoc

You made a good choice. The new Hulk set is filled with awesome play features and a ridiculous assortment of figs. May be the best value superhero set yet, IMO.

Thanks ! I've been eyeing it up since it hit the stores. The line up of mini-figs is awesome. The only Avenger I'm missing now is Black Widow. Is she in an other set besides The Quinjet?

Top Bottom