• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

And as JANG points out, it is interesting that LEGO used an illegal connection in one of their own sets.

It seems that they were less concerned about such things back then... perhaps the AFOL community (and LEGO themselves) is too concerned these days?

I think the whole idea of illegal connection is pretty stupid. It's a bricks building system, if you can connected them then I don't see what's the problem. It's not like you glue them together or something.

I think the whole idea of illegal connection is pretty stupid. It's a bricks building system, if you can connected them then I don't see what's the problem. It's not like you glue them together or something.

For that particular "illegal connection", I don't see an issue as the height of a plate is is 3.2mm and the gap between studs is 3.2mm. Possibly strength of connection?
http://www.robertcailliau.eu/Lego/Dimensions/zMeasurements-en.xhtml

Although some places such as wikipedia list the gap as 3.0mm.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego
512px-Lego_dimensions.svg.png

Some illegal connections puts extra stress on the LEGO part which could damage or shorten the life of that or the connecting part. A person can do whatever they want with the brick (many MOCs have illegal connections), but obviously LEGO designers have that constraint which I have no issue. Higher standards and all that. :) I don't believe most people even know about the "illegal" connection concept. It's only LEGO nerds like us.

Here is a link to a LEGO PowerPoint slide regarding stressing LEGO elements. It has the plate between studs connection which used to be legal.

http://cache.lego.com/downloads/brickfest2006/brickstress.ppt

For that particular "illegal connection", I don't see an issue as the height of a plate is is 3.2mm and the gap between studs is 3.2mm. Possibly strength of connection?
http://www.robertcailliau.eu/Lego/Dimensions/zMeasurements-en.xhtml

Although some places such as wikipedia list the gap as 3.0mm.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego
512px-Lego_dimensions.svg.png

Some illegal connections puts extra stress on the LEGO part which could damage or shorten the life of that or the connecting part. A person can do whatever they want with the brick (many MOCs have illegal connections), but obviously LEGO designers have that constraint which I have no issue. Higher standards and all that. :) I don't believe most people even know about the "illegal" connection concept. It's only LEGO nerds like us.

Here is a link to a LEGO PowerPoint slide regarding stressing LEGO elements. It has the plate between studs connection which used to be legal.

http://cache.lego.com/downloads/brickfest2006/brickstress.ppt

thank you for this, I had no idea what you guys were talking about

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Illegal connections are weak connections. Generally not a good idea for an official lego set to fall apart at the merest touch. MOCers can do whatever as far as I'm concerned since they're not making sets for others to play with.

EDIT: blurry phone pic of Creator Train

creator_train.jpg

That seals it, I saw the train at Target and thought it was cute but now that I've seen the whole thing together like that I have to buy it.

Also, got a call back from Lego, I got the job! I have to do the paperwork and a drug screening on Monday, and as soon as the results come back I can start training. Gonna wear the shit outta that yellow apron, son!

Vyer

The figs on the little Death Star Troopers pack are very nice. I'll have to take a pic.

That seals it, I saw the train at Target and thought it was cute but now that I've seen the whole thing together like that I have to buy it.

Also, got a call back from Lego, I got the job! I have to do the paperwork and a drug screening on Monday, and as soon as the results come back I can start training. Gonna wear the shit outta that yellow apron, son!

Congrats, hope it's a fun gig.

Is that an illegal connection I spy there?

Illegal connection? I'm not familiar with this, please explain?
Illegal connections are weak connections. Generally not a good idea for an official lego set to fall apart at the merest touch. MOCers can do whatever as far as I'm concerned since they're not making sets for others to play with.

I see, thanks!

Congrats!

Nice ^

I picked up two Mixels at target today and I think I know the one that's the hardest to find for everyone: the flame brain one (don't know names). It's probably because it comes with the most new pieces plus two unique tooth parts used on his feet that are exclusive to that set.

EDIT: blurry phone pic of Creator Train

creator_train.jpg

I love the Emerald Express, such a nice little set. Love the picture with the block toy.

Also found this article on the verge, pretty cool.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/1/5460306/the-dangerous-beautiful-life-of-a-lego-minifig-photographer

Congratulation!

Speaking of that I have not so good experience the last time I went to LEGO store. I saw a Volkswagen set with a giant hole on the box, I took it to the counter and see if I can get damage box discount, the guy that was helping said he will check. The manager came out and got all pissy with me and rudely told me no discount for any exclusive set and then proceed to said to the guy that it look like some one poke a hold in it and then glance at me like I did it. It was pretty rude. Anyway, the clerk that help me was nice enough but I will definitely fill out the survey.

Congratulations. I drug screening though! Hopefully you get a decent staff discount.

I picked up the Spiderman set with Nick Fury in for £12.50 today. I got it from eBay but the box is torn but for a set that small I'm not bothered about keeping the box. I just need to pick up captain America and I'll have all of the Avengers.

I also pick this up for £11. Has anyone got it?

http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/images/4953-1.jpg

Nitemare1

You are becoming Lord Business! If you don't plan on selling it the open it. If you won't play and display it, then keep it sealed and sell it eventually. Well, if they ever make a keychain out of it, you can enjoy him that way.

I will not become you Lord Business!

MM_zps7e04ffd4.jpg

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Thanks for all the congrats guys! I'll let you know about any good discounts and things whenever they show up at my store, I'd be happy to pick stuff up for anyone and ship it to them! Also I stopped by TRU and picked up the Chima eagle because it's the coolest one and I'm just fuckin weak. It looks RAD. I think I'm gonna buy another Ninjago mech, and then a second Eagle Legend, and combine the two into a gnarly winged ultra mech.
I scoped out the Mixels too and I still dunno how I feel about them. TRU has them for $5.49, is that the standard price or does that have a TRU Tax applied?

Congratulation!

Speaking of that I have not so good experience the last time I went to LEGO store. I saw a Volkswagen set with a giant hole on the box, I took it to the counter and see if I can get damage box discount, the guy that was helping said he will check. The manager came out and got all pissy with me and rudely told me no discount for any exclusive set and then proceed to said to the guy that it look like some one poke a hold in it and then glance at me like I did it. It was pretty rude. Anyway, the clerk that help me was nice enough but I will definitely fill out the survey.
That's major BS dude. Good customer service is EXTREMELY important to me, I worked at Trader Joe's for eight years and they're constantly rated in the top 3 of customer satisfaction so they instilled good CS pretty deep in me. Definitely write Lego to let them know about that. Being treated like "guilty till proven innocent" is bullshit. You were just asking a simple question, all the manager had to do is say "Unfortunately we don't offer any discounts on store exclusive items", maybe even add in "and we should probably take it in the back to make sure no parts are missing since there is a hole in the box. Thanks for bringing it to our attention though." Done. No need to be an asshole about it.

Thanks for all the congrats guys! I'll let you know about any good discounts and things whenever they show up at my store, I'd be happy to pick stuff up for anyone and ship it to them! Also I stopped by TRU and picked up the Chima eagle because it's the coolest one and I'm just fuckin weak. It looks RAD. I think I'm gonna buy another Ninjago mech, and then a second Eagle Legend, and combine the two into a gnarly winged ultra mech.
I scoped out the Mixels too and I still dunno how I feel about them. TRU has them for $5.49, is that the standard price or does that have a TRU Tax applied?

I say pick up one of them (the one you like the most) and it'll give you a good idea how the rest feel. Great parts packs even if you just need the eyes and joints.

scoot3r

Me and the wife picked up gatehouse raid last night and put it together, great little set. Now I want to get dragon mountain!

Nitemare1

Congrats on the job!. That's awesome!

Ponn

Banned
Congrats on job WordAssassin, now you should get everyone a Seacow to celebrate!

I picked up Manbat Attack at Wally world this mornng, they had it on sale for $16. They had a box for the Mixels but it was bare except for two empty Lego Movie CMF packs, real classy thieves. Funny thing is i couldnt find where they even got the packs from. Speaking of Lego Movie they only had one lone Ice Cream set, that was it. I was surprised they still had some Bug Obliterators on clearance still there they still havent sold.

Snaku

Banned
Grats on the gig, WordAssassin!

Went to the Lego Store in Maryland earlier today and got the Lex Luthor mech, and got a VIP card. And so....it begins.

You know when you hit Bricklink and place 10 or so orders then realise you just spent £200...... yeah, I know that feeling.

I'm afraid the Modular bug has bitten hard now. I've got Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, Pet Shop & Palace Cinema. I've got 2 customs (not my designs, one of which you can see above) on the go and now planning my first MOC modular in LDraw.

I think I need a bigger shelf.....

Apologies for the crappy ipad photo in poor light.

neonglow

Congrats on the job. You only need to get 2 of the train sets since the 3rd model isn't that great.

ruxtpin

Banned
Not sure how many GameStop shoppers we have here, but if you've got PowerUp Rewards points they can be redeemed for the exclusive Elrond figure that was originally given out with the Lego LotR games.

Congrats! We don't expect you to share information that would get you into trouble. But if some other member(s) in this thread got an anonymous Private Message and shared it without revealing the source, it should be OK. :)

bndadm

Congrats to WordAssassin! Man what a delight.

To LegoGaf at large: I've started to give thought to concerns about stickers and their longevity. I found some folks online say they scan copies of the stickers to their PC first so they can print them again later if need be. Some also ask for replacement sheets from LEGO directly.

Has anyone here tried those methods? Or have their own approach (other than not applying them at all)? I'm thinking I'd start doing the scanning, though how I'd print out some of those clear stickers (for example Iron Man) I'll have to figure out later.

Also, I've begun my quest to part out and build the old LEGO modular Market Street, Green Grocer, and Cafe Corner. I'm really excited! I love Bricklink.

Ryuuroden

Congrats to WordAssassin! Man what a delight.

To LegoGaf at large: I've started to give thought to concerns about stickers and their longevity. I found some folks online say they scan copies of the stickers to their PC first so they can print them again later if need be. Some also ask for replacement sheets from LEGO directly.

Has anyone here tried those methods? Or have their own approach (other than not applying them at all)? I'm thinking I'd start doing the scanning, though how I'd print out some of those clear stickers (for example Iron Man) I'll have to figure out later.

Also, I've begun my quest to part out and build the old LEGO modular Market Street, Green Grocer, and Cafe Corner. I'm really excited! I love Bricklink.

I have never had problems with stickers for all but 1 set. The stickers on my V-Wing that came out a few years back are all curling up like crazy. It looks like utter shit. Other than that I've had no issues.

On the topic of modulars, I finally set up my rebrickable and found out that I have all but like 5 pieces for Market Street and like 30 pieces for Cafe Corner (The two I didn't buy in time before they went OOP) so I think I will be building those pretty soon. The parts are pretty much all in my loose bins too since a lot of them can come from my other modular's and I have always bought multiples of all those sets for parts.

Not sure how many GameStop shoppers we have here, but if you've got PowerUp Rewards points they can be redeemed for the exclusive Elrond figure that was originally given out with the Lego LotR games.

cool, I might redeem it even it I don't need it. Good resell value plus if it dosn't sell I'd be happy to have it :)

bndadm

I have never had problems with stickers for all but 1 set. The stickers on my V-Wing that came out a few years back are all curling up like crazy. It looks like utter shit. Other than that I've had no issues.

On the topic of modulars, I finally set up my rebrickable and found out that I have all but like 5 pieces for Market Street and like 30 pieces for Cafe Corner (The two I didn't buy in time before they went OOP) so I think I will be building those pretty soon. The parts are pretty much all in my loose bins too since a lot of them can come from my other modular's and I have always bought multiples of all those sets for parts.

Thanks. That helps to put my mind at ease a bit. Good luck on the Market Street and CC.

Some bad news about the Hulk keychains. It looks like that later batches do not have double printed heads. My guess is the double printed heads were leftover from the Hulk promo in the past. Demand for keychains probably required they do more runs and they only did one-sided heads.

This is a Hulk I liberated from a recent keychain purchase.

"Hulk have headache."

"Puny rod give Hulk headache."

"Hulk not feel good."

Thank you lego gaf...

bWUV79T.png

You're welcome. Or should we be apologizing?

Either way, welcome. And so nice to see Lex Luthor's Power Armor there.

On a different note, grabbed another Mixel at Target tonight. Had to stop for something and had a crappy day at work. Mixels are a great impulse buy, and it already made the night better.

What's your method for liberating them from the chains? I've yet to succeed on my attempts.

Pliers. The metal loop that connects the chain has a cut in it. Might be easier with two long nosed pliers.

If you are talking about metal rod that impales the minifig's head, then as the previous post mention, soldering iron. Search on youtube. Be careful though with soldering iron.

Thank you lego gaf...

bWUV79T.png

Nice setup. Poor Aquaman gets no respect. I can't wait to see more photos of the growing Justice League.

Actually, once Aquaman came out, you have the full old Super Friends cartoon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhMr4hBwWGw

Fowler

Thank you lego gaf...

bWUV79T.png

I love how you have everything in one awesome mash-up... but I have one complaint: The Bat is blocking my favourite part, the Bruce Wayne-to-Batsuit transformation!

That single feature is probably the main thing that got me back into LEGO. I saw this on Gizmodo and thought, huh, how's that possible:

http://lego.gizmodo.com/5884602/leg...atman-transforms-adults-into-giddy-nerdy-kids

Simple in hindsight, but I bought the set to find out, got hooked building it, and that was it...

I love how you have everything in one awesome mash-up... but I have one complaint: The Bat is blocking my favourite part, the Bruce Wayne-to-Batsuit transformation!

That single feature is probably the main thing that got me back into LEGO. I saw this on Gizmodo and thought, huh, how's that possible:

http://lego.gizmodo.com/5884602/leg...atman-transforms-adults-into-giddy-nerdy-kids

Simple in hindsight, but I bought the set to find out, got hooked building it, and that was it...

Haha yeah the transformation mechanism is pretty neat

Congrats! We don't expect you to share information that would get you into trouble. But if some other member(s) in this thread got an anonymous Private Message and shared it without revealing the source, it should be OK. :)
Oh I didn't mean like insider secrets like any unannounced deals or things that could get people in trouble, I meant like when my store discounts or clearances stuff I could post about it here to see if anyone wants me to grab them stuff. ;3

Gonna be all over that Haunted House now for double VIP points. Can't wait! Gotta clear off a desk or something to make room for the build, bwehehehe.

Oh I didn't mean like insider secrets like any unannounced deals or things that could get people in trouble, I meant like when my store discounts or clearances stuff I could post about it here to see if anyone wants me to grab them stuff. ;3

Gonna be all over that Haunted House now for double VIP points. Can't wait! Gotta clear off a desk or something to make room for the build, bwehehehe.

Gotcha. ;) No secrets. *wink*

Which store is this again? I'm interested on how the PAB selection is. :)

Top Bottom