• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Re-posting from the competition thread, this is my Mixel competition entry...

I call him ROCKODILE. Obviously he's a Mixel MAX made from the 3 rock-type mixels, although there were a fair few parts left over.

He has movable front and back legs (with adjustable claws on the front legs), a double-jointed tail and my favourite/main part which was the inspriation for the design - opening and closing upper/lower jaws.

This is my first ever MOC, so I'm pretty pleased with the result. :D

Love it! Awesome work.

ghostmind

I call him ROCKODILE. Obviously he's a Mixel MAX made from the 3 rock-type mixels, although there were a fair few parts left over.

He has movable front and back legs (with adjustable claws on the front legs), a double-jointed tail and my favourite/main part which was the inspriation for the design - opening and closing upper/lower jaws.

This is VERY well done - congrats!

I'm thinking that the competition in the Mixels MOC challenge will be fierce.

Zerojul

This is very, very nice !!! I hope I can come up with something half as good for my first MOC. This competition is going to be very fun :)

kapowza

haha, I'm making the technic 4x4 Crawler at the moment and I couldn't figure out how the suspension and steering was going to work because everything was too solid and tight. Turns out they have you make a frame only to take it back off again once the steering is completed, leaving it all bendy and flexible. Should never have doubted Lego.

frogg609

haha, I'm making the technic 4x4 Crawler at the moment and I couldn't figure out how the suspension and steering was going to work because everything was too solid and tight. Turns out they have you make a frame only to take it back off again once the steering is completed, leaving it all bendy and flexible. Should never have doubted Lego.

That confused me as well when I built it. Such an awesome set to build and play with. Enjoy it!

Rootbeer

Banned
My local Walgreens had the Simpsons CMFs in stock and I grabbed the 16 they had. Will report back on breakdown.

Checked 10 diff Walgreens today... yeah, I'm serious. There are tons of them in downtown SF. Anyway... found zero :(

Most of the ones here have ridiculously tiny toy sections though, that's probably why.

Fowler

Darth Revan minifig on sale at my local LEGO shop right now for about US$50. Kinda sorely tempted even at that price :-/

theaface

Thanks for the kind words about my mixel attempt. :)

Heading to my local Lego store shortly. I'm hoping to pick up a few bits to start a proper pet project - building a scale Lego replica of my house.

To tell you the truth, I barely have any idea of where to start with this. I figure I'll get a base plate and hopefully a chunk of basic building blocks. I assume the sensible thing to do would be to just very simply plot out the floorplan for each of the rooms, and build it up from there. Has anyone else here done something similar and if so, how did you approach yours? I don't think I'm adept enough with the Lego Digital Designer to spend much time building it in there first.

Assuming I'm going to need lots of specific little parts to build this as I go, what are peoples' thoughts as to the best way to go about this in terms of speed, convenience and price - use the official Lego pick-a-brick service, or Bricklink?

theaface

Ooh, that's a really cool idea. What does your house look like?

It's a fairly typical 50 year old semi (in the UK), with a fairly neutral recently-renovated interior. Lounge and kitchen/dining room downstairs, 3 bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs. Plenty to get stuck in to, in my opinion!

It has a driveway and garden too, but I'll see how the main house goes first before I think about tackling those!

Thanks for the kind words about my mixel attempt. :)

Heading to my local Lego store shortly. I'm hoping to pick up a few bits to start a proper pet project - building a scale Lego replica of my house.

To tell you the truth, I barely have any idea of where to start with this. I figure I'll get a base plate and hopefully a chunk of basic building blocks. I assume the sensible thing to do would be to just very simply plot out the floorplan for each of the rooms, and build it up from there. Has anyone else here done something similar and if so, how did you approach yours? I don't think I'm adept enough with the Lego Digital Designer to spend much time building it in there first.

Assuming I'm going to need lots of specific little parts to build this as I go, what are peoples' thoughts as to the best way to go about this in terms of speed, convenience and price - use the official Lego pick-a-brick service, or Bricklink?

If I were you I would try to decide scale first. Look at the unique features of your house and work out the if you need to use any SNOT or unusual bricks.

Zerojul

Found the 2 mixels that were out of stock last time at the Lego store. Now to decide which color to use for the competition :)
Also pulled the trigger on the rescue reinforcements movie set. The fire truck mecha will guard my modular fire brigade fiercely. Got the super cycle chase and the Gungan sub, too. I'm now very broke and very happy :)

Rootbeer

Banned
For those finding the Simpsons mnifigs in Walgreens..... where are the figures at in the store? I plan on checking a few today at lunch....

I have not spotted Simpsons at Walgreens yet, but I have seen other series there in the past. If your store(s) have a toy section (it's usually pretty small), there should be a blind bag section, usually only a like 4 or 5 pegs at most... they could be there.

Sometimes they will just put the entire box on an endcap or on the very top shelf somewhere NEAR the toys... not always in the toy isle... so you may have to search.

Lastly, most stores have a small end-cap where they put playing cards, dice, things like that. I have found them there before.

So I have a tad over 200 bucks to spend on a new set or sets...

I am torn as to what to get:

1) Hold off for the Star Wars Sandcrawler
2) start my modular set by buying the town hall or petshop/ theatre
3) Buy the VW bus (that thing looks cool)
4) Buy the monsters lego house/ castle

Any thoughts...? The only 2 sets I have completed thus far are the best star and R2D2.

Zerojul

Any thoughts...? The only 2 sets I have completed thus far are the best star and R2D2.
I would go with the Haunted House. It's absolutely outstanding IMO.

Checked 10 diff Walgreens today... yeah, I'm serious. There are tons of them in downtown SF. Anyway... found zero :(

Most of the ones here have ridiculously tiny toy sections though, that's probably why.

I can imagine how frustrated you must've been to come up empty after checking so many Walgreens. That sucks. On a side note, you just saved me a trip to Walgreens. My office is a few blocks away from the one at the corner of Mission and 1st Street. Thanks.

Rootbeer

Banned
I can imagine how frustrated you must've been to come up empty after checking so many Walgreens. That sucks. On a side note, you just saved me a trip to Walgreens. My office is a few blocks away from the one at the corner of Mission and 1st Street. Thanks.

... I didn't check that one :) actually there are 2 or 3 more i'm checking this morning that were closed yesterday

None of my local Walgreens (STL) carry LEGO minifigures.

The employees either didn't know what the hell I was talking about, or they said they don't carry them anymore because of theft.

Caladrius

Contemplating whether or not to drive to the Orlando LEGO store after finals.

The local toy stores don't have much in the way of a selection.

Also Hi

Rootbeer

Banned
None of my local Walgreens (STL) carry LEGO minifigures.

The employees either didn't know what the hell I was talking about, or they said they don't carry them anymore because of theft.
Yeah I'm thinking this is exactly the reason. The $1 price increase doesn't help any either; theft will only increase. I'm done trying Walgreen's for a while.

All are fine choices, but I would go with Haunted House.

neonglow

If you're only getting one set, just get the haunted house. It and the VW will go out of print this year.

Looks like Toys R Us is the best bet for Simpsons minifigures. I completed my set today because they had about three full boxes of them waiting for me to feel up!

I'll also vouch for the haunted house. It is AMAZING.

Yesterday I was at WonderCon in Anaheim and they let me leave the booth towards the end of the show, somehow managed to find Cosmic Cube Chase and nab it for $32. Not only is the truck fuckin awesome but now I have Hawkeye and can eventually actually complete my Avengers team (getting Quinjet today at work and will eventually get Hulk Lab Smash).

I knew I had become an addict when I was sitting there looking at the box with an entire convention of wonderful art to peruse and buy. *sighs heavily*

Rootbeer

Banned
Looks like Toys R Us is the best bet for Simpsons minifigures. I completed my set today because they had about three full boxes of them waiting for me to feel up!

Well damn! Awesome... i should have tried there today. But they told me last week they can't sell them till the first... i bet if I call them right now they'll tell me they have them :p gonna test it, heh

Well damn! Awesome... i should have tried there today. But they told me last week they can't sell them till the first... i bet if I call them right now they'll tell me they have them :p gonna test it, heh

Hey let me know.. because my Toys r us ... said the same thing last week.

Rootbeer

Banned
Hey let me know.. because my Toys r us ... said the same thing last week.

I always get a different answer :)

Okay, just called my 'regular' TRU... they said they got some last week (i knew that part), and they COULD get some Tues or Weds when their next truck comes.

S'yeah I know where i'll be Tues and Weds.

Last week I went on a Thurs and only found a few packs... which means they def came Tues or Weds in the case of my store.

And yeah, i'm fully aware I can just waltz into a LEGO store on May 1st and get probably all of them... but it's fun trying to get them sooner!

Yesterday I was at WonderCon in Anaheim...
Oh man... I miss when WonderCon was in San Francisco... I had a blast going. I could walk there every day from my house. Was geek heaven. So very sad that it moved down south, sigh :( I wonder why though? Bigger crowds down there? Initially I thought it was due to renovation at the venue they usually use... but the following years they never returned. SF dun fucked up.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Does anyone have any experience with modular buildings and roads combined?

Im wanting to have a portion of road next to the buildings so I can add some traffic, but the official road base plates dont really work without having to rebuild everything onto them. I've done a little SNOT experiment but still undecided- going to fill it in meantime and see how I feel after. Hoping to have something like this im finished for the length of the display.
qhayU9g.jpg

odlZEo8.jpg

Contemplating whether or not to drive to the Orlando LEGO store after finals.

The local toy stores don't have much in the way of a selection.

Also Hi

Where is Legoland in relative to Orlando LEGO store? I was at Legoland California and they had TONs of Simpsons CMF's. I probably could have bought a few hundred and they would probably have more.

I'll try to post some photos today.

Has LEGO given any hint to the future of the Simpsons theme? Are you guys expecting anything beyond the house and set of minifigures?

I'd love to build the Kwik-E-Mart or Moe's, or have a series 2 of minifigures. I mean what is Burns without Smithers? Krusty without Sideshow Bob or Mel?

And honestly the CMFs are probably the best I've seen. So much detail and so many in-jokes.

And yeah, i'm fully aware I can just waltz into a LEGO store on May 1st and get probably all of them... but it's fun trying to get them sooner!

From what I've been told that's not the case - officially they want to wait until after the Lego episode airs which is May 4th. We've been told to tell customers "the first week of May" instead of May 1st. Though if Legoland California is selling them already I have no idea wtf is going on. The dude I got the Cosmoc Cube Chase from had a couple Lisas for sale ($8) but he could have gotten those anywhere.

Oh man... I miss when WonderCon was in San Francisco... I had a blast going. I could walk there every day from my house. Was geek heaven. So very sad that it moved down south, sigh :( I wonder why though? Bigger crowds down there? Initially I thought it was due to renovation at the venue they usually use... but the following years they never returned. SF dun fucked up.
It could have been that they just lost the bid. I know San Diego has been freaking out the last few years about losing ComiCon for the same reason.

Has LEGO given any hint to the future of the Simpsons theme? Are you guys expecting anything beyond the house and set of minifigures?

I'd love to build the Kwik-E-Mart or Moe's, or have a series 2 of minifigures. I mean what is Burns without Smithers? Krusty without Sideshow Bob or Mel?

And honestly the CMFs are probably the best I've seen. So much detail and so many in-jokes.
Nothing has been even hinted at as far as additional sets but they have publicly stated that they won't ever make a Moe's tavern or power plant. Moe's I can understand but WTF to the power plant.

I couldn't help but be reminded of Lego's hypocricy as I was building the wine cabniet in the Parisian Restaurant last week.

Then I was sorting minifig accessories and my 2 biggest piles were swords and guns.

Ponn

Banned
What do you guys use for sorting your brick collection?

I need to invest in some storage for my extras.

When the kindly folks here at Lego GAF helped me get back into Lego almost a couple years ago my only intention was to collect some LoTR sets and Monster Fighters. I had no intention of needing a storage solution.

Ha.

I have been concentrating right now on putting up shelving to display sets. It breaks my heart to take a set apart since I get a set in the first place because I want to see it and display it. Unfortunately I have been making use of ziploc bags and a plastic three drawer storage solution to try and keep the sets organized together but i'm afraid i'm going to have to go to a better sorting solution and give up keeping torn down sets together.

There was some excellent posts earlier in the threads showing off others storage solutions if you want to take the time. My understanding was hobby stores have some good storage solutions.

Rated-G

Not even Moe's Family Feedbag? I'd love a Kwik-E-Mart to be honest, that seems like a shoe-in. Otherwise, with the Power Plant and Moe's out of the way, I can't really think of any other major iconic sets or buildings that would translate well. Someone suggested a tongue-in-cheek kind of faux Architecture set for the statue of Jebediah Springfield, that could be kind of cool.

Dunno if I'll do the contest or not but I decided one of the Mixels had some cool parts and bought one...but now I have an idea for the contest and want to buy two more...D:

What do you guys use for sorting your brick collection?

I need to invest in some storage for my extras.

There is a link to a few different sorting and storage methods in the OP. That should give you a good starting point.

Im wanting to have a portion of road next to the buildings so I can add some traffic, but the official road base plates dont really work without having to rebuild everything onto them. I've done a little SNOT experiment but still undecided- going to fill it in meantime and see how I feel after. Hoping to have something like this im finished for the length of the display.

It might be easier to use the road baseplates and then put a baseplate covered with some tiles underneath the modulars. That should raise them up enough to be a bit above the road.

But that is one thing I don't like about the modulars. It is harder to add a proper road in front.

wetwired

I ended up just building it onto the side walk sections of the road plates.

You can lift the whole bottoms off fairly easily and reattach. The hardest part is just taking any floor tiles off and redoing them.

Caladrius

I have to start my LEGO collection (
Well, the system pieces, I have about 1200 pieces surviving from my old Bionicle collection, though about half the ball joints are broken or on their last legs.
) from scratch and I'm left wondering how best to start out.

I used to have quite a few but they got lost in a move.

Where is Legoland in relation to Orlando LEGO store? I was at Legoland California and they had TONs of Simpsons CMF's. I probably could have bought a few hundred and they would probably have more.

I'll try to post some photos today.

I have no Idea I'm afraid.

And really in Orlando's traffic even just 15 minutes apart feels closer to a whole hour regardless.

Where is Legoland in relative to Orlando LEGO store?

I know how Canadian this will sound, but I think LEGOLand is about 40 minutes north of Downtown Disney.

I have done the drive south from the Jacksonville area many many times and I'm fairly certain it is close to the store.

On an unrelated note, Cad Bane's Speeder was a bust this weekend. Even holding a LEGO brick in my right hand is a no-go. Four days and zero maneuverability. Frustrating :) Regardless, the kids interest immediately shifted toward chocolate eggs any way...

Top Bottom