• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

ruxtpin

Banned
Star Destroyed & Cantina pre-ordered from Amazon. Republic Gunship should be arriving today. And almost ready to pull the trigger on the Mini (+ Mini) ... I've got the fever so bad.

And I'm already anticipating the Tumbler and Slave 1 UCS. Any rumors on what the next modular will be?

I think this will be my final entry in the contest, the Spearhead Fighter:

14580666770_651c4ae84c_o.jpg

Another nice model. Good job!

How are you holding the wings in place? Do you just have studs on the sides of the body or is there something else going on?

Down the middle are two 2x10s with the 2x4 SNOT plates along their sides that the slopes are attached to. There's also some of those plates on the top and bottom of the wings, that the angled plates attach to; and those have one or two long plates that span across the mid-section to support each other.

I think it would be sturdy IRL but I've never made wings like that before.

Lego Digital Designer or an is it using LDraw stuff?

I wish LEGO would put more resources into expanding on LDD, not just in parts but in features... what if they made it into a minecraft-like? :eek:

It's made in LDD but rendered using the LDD to POV Ray program. Pretty nifty little thing, but it takes my old PC a looooong time to render.

A shame that Ecstatic Kitty is exclusive (then again it says 2014 exclusive and the new sets release in 2015). But if we're getting a cheaper Angry Kitty and that great Sad Kitty, it's fine with me. It seems that they've realized how popular she became.

It seems like they're cheating though: the 1x2x2 slope doesn't exist in pink so they went with 1x2x1.

Rootbeer

Banned
so on top of my planned two exo-suits (hopefully), I also have the B-Wing, imperial star destroyer and jedi scout fighter (yoda chronicles, awesome ship and minifigs though!) through amazon (thanks to pre-order discounts of 15-20%)

this is how i soften the blow from all those exclusives LEGO doesn't want me to buy from them :p

i'm contemplating if I really need the B-Wing or not. it's already going to be a pretty expensive day.

Also, just putting this out there, but i'm in the market for a Clone Wars Ahsoka minifig (with lightsaber(s)) so if anyone wants to rid themselves of one at a reasonable price hit me up with the details! I thought about going bootleg but... honestly I can't find a bootleg of her (or clone wars stuff in general), plus i just have a feeling that bootleg Clone Wars prints would look worse than usual bootlegs.

Also, just putting this out there, but i'm in the market for a Clone Wars Ahsoka minifig (with lightsaber(s)) so if anyone wants to rid themselves of one at a reasonable price hit me up with the details! I thought about going bootleg but... honestly I can't find a bootleg of her (or clone wars stuff in general), plus i just have a feeling that bootleg Clone Wars prints would look worse than usual bootlegs.

The one included in current Gunship is pretty nice, plus you get some nice looking troopers. http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=75046-1

LEGO Gaf I need some advice.

I bought myself the Back to the Future kit a few weeks back when it was cheap on Amazon and it looks like the LEGO bug has gotten me again. I don't know what to buy next, I really want to buy Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, Spaceship! however I'm a huge Guardians of the Galaxy fan and have a huge urge to buy all 3 of the sets. Ultimately it will be a case of buying all of the above, but what do I get now, either Spaceship or all 3 of the GoG sets?

Ravek

Banned

I bought myself the Back to the Future kit a few weeks back when it was cheap on Amazon and it looks like the LEGO bug has gotten me again. I don't know what to buy next, I really want to buy Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, Spaceship! however I'm a huge Guardians of the Galaxy fan and have a huge urge to buy all 3 of the sets. Ultimately it will be a case of buying all of the above, but what do I get now, either Spaceship or all 3 of the GoG sets?

If you get the Knowhere set (with Groot and RR) know that it sucks and its a minifig only set.

Whew! Sorry it took so long to post my Comic-Con update, but my sister-in-law is currently in labour and I finally have a few minutes to post.

Just to summarize, I was in line yesterday (Sunday) morning very early (about 6:30 a.m.) and there were only about 500 people ahead of me to get into the main exhibit hall. Considering that there were 250 vouchers available for each exclusive set, I figured that my chances were pretty good. Just the day before, my brother and I were in the same line at 8:45 a.m. and there were about 15000 to 20000 people ahead of us and yet I still managed to grab a Jabba the Hutt exclusive figure from the Hasbro booth.

Well, it didn't go as planned. As soon as I got into the main exhibit hall, I power walked to the LEGO booth and there were already SEVERAL HUNDRED PEOPLE in line and the line had been capped and the exclusive vouchers had already been given out. There were MANY people who felt completely ripped off like myself who were loudly complaining to the SDCC staff around the LEGO booth and all they could do was shrug their shoulders and claim that they didn't know what was going on. I quickly learned during the entire SDCC weekend that pretty much NOBODY who works the SDCC floor really knows what's going on anywhere there.

[RANT] Now, whenever I post here or anywhere else on the internet, I generally try to be polite and not swear (which doesn't always work). But FUCK THIS. This is FUCKING RIDICULOUS. I still love LEGO, but FUCK THIS PROCESS that they have for distributing these exclusives. No doubt that most of the people that were already in line for the exclusive sets were exhibitors who had early access to the exhibit hall with their vendor passes. I understand that these vendors may be LEGO fans also, but they should have to go through the same hoops that regular fans like ourselves have to go through. It is insanely unfair that they do not have to wait hours in line like we do and that they can so easily get these sets and play by different rules than the regular fans. Out of the 3000 sets that were sold during the convention, I wouldn't be surprised if less than 1000 of them actually made it into the hands of regular fans. Did getting banned from New York Comic-Con a couple of years ago not give them any clue that something was wrong with what they were doing? I never really quite understood people before who were complaining about this process until I experienced this utter bullshit for myself. Words cannot describe how flabbergasted and frustrated I was when I reached the LEGO booth only to see the swarm of people already around it, most of whom clearly did not wait in any long lines for several hours.

Something needs to be done. Please, LEGO, do something about this. ANYTHING. Anything would be better than this. Your regular fans are getting shafted. Even a random draw would be preferable. As long as the exclusives are being distributed in this manner, I will not even ATTEMPT to acquire any of the exclusive sets the next time that I happen to attend SDCC. There is no point. It is virtually impossible for us regular fans.

<< takes deep breath and calms down >>

[/RANT]

I'm sure there's a decent inventory of GotG sets, but it is a limit production run from what I hear (not like LEGO Ideas limited, but it's on the lower side of the usual production runs). This probably means we won't see too many of the sets hit the clearance aisles after XMas, unless the movie bombs and there is little interest in those sets. IF the movie is a big success, expect the lower priced sets to sell well with the kids and run out going into XMas.

I will probably start nibbling on those sets after the movie comes out (assuming movie will do very well).

Whew! Sorry it took so long to post my Comic-Con update, but my sister-in-law is currently in labour and I finally have a few minutes to post.

Something needs to be done. Please, LEGO, do something about this. ANYTHING. Anything would be better than this. Your regular fans are getting shafted. Even a random draw would be preferable. As long as the exclusives are being distributed in this manner, I will not even ATTEMPT to acquire any of the exclusive sets the next time that I happen to attend SDCC.

First off: congrats on the impending niece/nephew!

I am sorry that you had such a shitty experience. I am amazed at TLG's inability to manage things like this.

Did you go to BrickFete?

Rhaegar

Digging the $10 off $40 purchase for in-store pickup deal Target has going. Anyone have thoughts on the X-Men vs Sentinel set that retails for $50? I find the brick price ratio appalling, but I'm an X-fan and Have been collecting the super hero sets. Not sure I'll get this set for less than $40...

Ravek

Banned
Digging the $10 off $40 purchase for in-store pickup deal Target has going. Anyone have thoughts on the X-Men vs Sentinel set that retails for $50? I find the brick price ratio appalling, but I'm an X-fan and Have been collecting the super hero sets. Not sure I'll get this set for less than $40...

I have it.

The Sentinel is very disappointing. (His torse piece is a print btw). The minifigs are great IMO and ship is nice. Nothing too special, but nothing bad. If anything, lots of navy blue pieces.

neonglow

Just to summarize, I was in line yesterday (Sunday) morning very early (about 6:30 a.m.) and there were only about 500 people ahead of me to get into the main exhibit hall. Considering that there were 250 vouchers available for each exclusive set, I figured that my chances were pretty good. Just the day before, my brother and I were in the same line at 8:45 a.m. and there were about 15000 to 20000 people ahead of us and yet I still managed to grab a Jabba the Hutt exclusive figure from the Hasbro booth.

Yeah, it seems like getting the LEGO exclusive sets were insanely hard this year. I got a tip that some were gonna be sold on preview night. I managed to get to the booth about 5 minutes after the convention opened. By then the line was wrapped around the booth and capped off. I just hovered around the area for 20 minutes and jumped in line once the security person left. After 2.5 hours of waiting in line and chasing off the line cutters, I managed to buy all 3. There was like only 5 Rocket Raccoon sets left after I finished my purchase.

Ponn

Banned

I wouldn't be in a huge rush for the $20 set. it's ok, nowhere near the normally stellar $20 lego super hero sets though. The ship is kinda neat but displays for shit and the only real draw is the alternate Star Lord which you can get in

The Milano! is a definite get. If you were going to get one set it would be it. Yes Rocket Raccoon and Groot but make that secondary. Milano looks awesome, has wild colors, swooshability if you want that, some neat techniques and wings galore.

First off: congrats on the impending niece/nephew!

I am sorry that you had such a shitty experience. I am amazed at TLG's inability to manage things like this.

Did you go to BrickFete?
Thanks. Yeah, TLG just needs to to SOMETHING different than the way that they're doing it right now. Literally ANYTHING would be better than the current system. And no, I didn't make it down to BrickFete this year. Probably next year though as it's been a few years since I went last time.

I would like to apologize to Canada for not adequately representing the country at Comic-Con. I was not the stud that I had hoped to be. I simply laid a brick. My efforts did not even amount to a hill of snot. Everything is not awesome. Now where are my pants?

BTW, did any GAF members grab any of the exclusive SDCC sets who aren't either LEGO insiders or exhibitors? If so, congratulations, it would be nice to know that at least some of us managed to beat the staggering odds.

Yeah, it seems like getting the LEGO exclusive sets were insanely hard this year. I got a tip that some were gonna be sold on preview night. I managed to get to the booth about 5 minutes after the convention opened. By then the line was wrapped around the booth and capped off. I just hovered around the area for 20 minutes and jumped in line once the security person left. After 2.5 hours of waiting in line and chasing off the line cutters, I managed to buy all 3. There was like only 5 Rocket Raccoon sets left after I finished my purchase.
Awesome! Congratulations. Good to hear that one of us snagged them. It seemed to me that you definitely had to have some kind of combination of luck and insider information in order to pull it off. Enjoy!

After Preview Night, it was just fucked for regular people. I spoke to someone who SLEPT OVERNIGHT and was one of the first people in the door, he RAN to the Lego booth and it was already completely swarmed with people.

I tried my luck for the sets on Thursday, and it was a total shit show. Didn't try it again after that. There's just no way. Sleeping in the hall over night and still not getting them? FUCK OFF.

Stood in line for 2 hours on Friday, in a line that went for possibly a mile long, watched 4 people in a row get Clown Batman, guy in front of me got one, guy behind me got one. Left empty handed

Stood in line AGAIN for two hours on Sunday for CheeryKitty, got there way earlier so I wasn't so far from the front this time, wound up getting rained on for 5 minutes, walked away empty handed.

This is the absolute worst system. I'm not just saying that because I struck out three times in a row, it is truly terrible and even the people I met on Sunday who won four days in a row agree. The store should sell the exclusive sets in the middle of the day, not at the start of the show, so that people actually have some kind of fighting chance to get them without needing to be an exhibitor, sleeping overnight at the hall, or being a handicapped person let in super early. Something like at noon each day, they give out vouchers, and security patrols the immediate area to prevent people from lining up and congesting everything for hours ahead of time. Other booths do similar things and it works out fine. Also this "We have 1750 figures to give out but it's a 50/50 chance for each person in line so the line could last literally forever" needs a huge overhaul as well.

ghostmind

I wonder if LEGO will not be invited to NYCC again this year?

Regardless, whomever in marketing that is in charge of these decisions should be fired.

I always hate the whole idea of making the items so limited for the show. It is not just limit to LEGO, I used to heavily collect toys and the SDCC exclusive is always a nightmare especially when they have low numbers and high demand.

The last time I went to SDCC was couple years ago and I spend the entire first day standing in line just so I can get a ticket to stand in line again the entire 2nd day of the show. And that was the last time I went to Comic Con. The show have grown so big and it was not fun for me. I had been going to Comic Con every years prior for about 10 years or so. Sometimes I wish that it stay our little secret "nerd" gathering. PAX is getting to be the same way. It's cool to be geek today.

Anyway, I am sorry for your horrible experience and I doubt it will change anytime because those exclusive generate talk and demand and that's their whole point. LEGO should make exclusive "packaging" for the show and release the set or figures later. Hasbro do that and that help somewhat lessen the sting of not getting them.

neonglow

While at Comic-Con, I also picked up these Transformers Kreons set for $65. It's the most I've ever paid for KREO but seems worth it with getting all the main characters in one shot. It beats buying all the sets to get them all.

While at Comic-Con, I also picked up these Transformers Kreons set for $65. It's the most I've ever paid for KREO but seems worth it with getting all the main characters in one shot. It beats buying all the sets to get them all.

Cool. I think I spent $81 for all of series 1 on eBay a couple years ago. I don't care at all for the bricks. The Kreon look OK as robots, but the human Kreons are kinda ugly. I'm waiting for some of the D&D ones to go on a good sale or clearance and pick some of the Kreons up. They seem to have interesting accessories.

neonglow

Cool. I think I spent $81 for all of series 1 on eBay a couple years ago. I don't care at all for the bricks. The Kreon look OK as robots, but the human Kreons are kinda ugly. I'm waiting for some of the D&D ones to go on a good sale or clearance and pick some of the Kreons up. They seem to have interesting accessories.

Same here. It's only a matter of time before they get clearances. I think they're a sales dud but the weapons look good

Have we still not seen any leaks or info on the alleged PIRATES sets for next year?

We have to wait for someone to leak the retailer catalog. Should be in a couple months.

After Preview Night, it was just fucked for regular people. I spoke to someone who SLEPT OVERNIGHT and was one of the first people in the door, he RAN to the Lego booth and it was already completely swarmed with people.

I tried my luck for the sets on Thursday, and it was a total shit show. Didn't try it again after that. There's just no way. Sleeping in the hall over night and still not getting them? FUCK OFF.

Stood in line for 2 hours on Friday, in a line that went for possibly a mile long, watched 4 people in a row get Clown Batman, guy in front of me got one, guy behind me got one. Left empty handed

Stood in line AGAIN for two hours on Sunday for CheeryKitty, got there way earlier so I wasn't so far from the front this time, wound up getting rained on for 5 minutes, walked away empty handed.

This is the absolute worst system. I'm not just saying that because I struck out three times in a row, it is truly terrible and even the people I met on Sunday who won four days in a row agree. The store should sell the exclusive sets in the middle of the day, not at the start of the show, so that people actually have some kind of fighting chance to get them without needing to be an exhibitor, sleeping overnight at the hall, or being a handicapped person let in super early. Something like at noon each day, they give out vouchers, and security patrols the immediate area to prevent people from lining up and congesting everything for hours ahead of time. Other booths do similar things and it works out fine. Also this "We have 1750 figures to give out but it's a 50/50 chance for each person in line so the line could last literally forever" needs a huge overhaul as well.
Damn. I didn't even try for the minifigs. I was pissed big time after what I went through, but it sounds like you had an even worse experience than I did. Ugh, I just get pissed off more and more each time that I think about it. I would've gone postal if I hadn't mitigated my rage by getting some other SDCC exclusives such as the Hasbro Jabba, the NECA Pacific Rim set and the Gentle Giant giant-sized Star Wars carded action figure. So at least I did get some of the cool exclusives that were there.

Just as a side note, some of the celebrities that I saw up close (but didn't talk to or get autographs) were Major Nelson, one of the Penny Arcade guys, Lou Ferrigno, Richard Hatch, Lee Merriwether, and Richard Taylor from Weta. As I was just getting into a lineup to buy an official Comic-Con t-shirt at one of the nearby hotels, the girl who was controlling the lineup said that George RR Martin had just walked past her 2 minutes earlier. Dammit. And for anyone here who has kids who are into Minecraft, they may be familiar with a YouTuber named Stampy. He made an appearance at the NerdHQ event at Petco Park which is the baseball stadium across the street from the convention center where the Padres play. My daughter is absolutely OBSESSED with Stampy, so we showed up to a panel that he was a part of and she ended up asking him a couple of questions and then getting his autograph after the panel. She was on cloud 9 for a few days after that. Overall, TONS of fun at SDCC despite the LEGO booth debacle and the HUGE crowds. It was quite the experience. And I really got into the spirit of the con by not showering on Sunday morning before going so that I could get in line early for the LEGO exclusives. When in Rome...

I was very tempted to get that at the Hasbro booth when I got the Jabba set, but I've never been that big of a Transformers fan. I was also tempted to get the ROM Muggs figure because I collected the comic book when I was a kid, but I just can't seem to like those over-cutified things.

And I really got into the spirit of the con by not showering on Sunday morning before going so that I could get in line early for the LEGO exclusives. When in Rome...
Wait that's a thing? I wound up doing that on accident but if it's tradition I'll just claim I was in on it the whole time...

The plus side of getting stuck in the rain was that I felt a little less disgusting after, at least. :p

Top Bottom