• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Ewww. Way to subvert a wholesome hobby. I'm no prude but this seems a bit grimy.

For the benefit of this thread and my fellow LEGOGAFers, I did some research. :) Apparently some lawyers got involved and the contest never completed (blue bricked). Technically I think it was because of the use of the word LEGO (which is trademarked) in the contest. Having LEGO used in a very non-wholesome contest seems like something LEGO Group does not want. I've heard LEGO does a lot to protect the use of LEGO (which is the brand). This is why you don't see any well known blogs with LEGO in the name or in the URL.

WALL-E reached 10,000 supporters!

I hope it's the one that actually gets made. All the other recently approved sets like Wayne Manor and X-Mansion are just ridiculous with no hope (IMO) of being released due to their sheer size.

Ryuuroden

WALL-E reached 10,000 supporters!

I hope it's the one that actually gets made. All the other recently approved sets like Wayne Manor and X-Mansion are just ridiculous with no hope (IMO) of being released due to their sheer size.

I would say it also has no chance but for the fact that if there were any licencing issues Lego would of dealt with it already and it wouldn't be on ideas. It is also not a ongoing or former theme in official sets. What I see going against it is size still and is there a market for it. Most movies have a market relevance shelf life and although I haven't been actively looking, I haven't seen much if any new wall-e merchandise of any type like I have for some other older pixar shows.

You can't count out the fact though that Lego could sell dirt if they put in a box, branded it Lego and made it exclusive to sdcc.

Rootbeer

Banned
Someone on another forum I visit posted a pic of Superman vs Power Armor Lex they bought at Target on clearance for $9.99

What a find!

Someone on another forum I visit posted a pic of Superman vs Power Armor Lex they bought at Target on clearance for $9.99

What a find!

Yeah, Target clearance is still on if you can find any sets. I lucked out and found 2 aviation adventures for $17.98. I finally found a Black Series storm trooper too.

Also, if anyone is a Sam's club member, they have 3 lego books for about $13 (new Star Wars, minifigure with toy soldier, and a friends one)

Yeah, Target clearance is still on if you can find any sets. I lucked out and found 2 aviation adventures for $17.98. I finally found a Black Series storm trooper too.

Also, if anyone is a Sam's club member, they have 3 lego books for about $13 (new Star Wars, minifigure with toy soldier, and a friends one)

Man, super jealous about Aviation Adventures. That is the big blue plane right? I missed getting that. Always wanted that set.

Ponn

Banned
Wow, if you have Amazon Prime never cancel it. They apparently will punish you for it. I ordered last thursday, it gave a delivery time of today aug 30th through saturday but it still has not even shipped yet.

Experien

Wow, if you have Amazon Prime never cancel it. They apparently will punish you for it. I ordered last thursday, it gave a delivery time of today aug 30th through saturday but it still has not even shipped yet.

Sounds like you bought something from a 3rd party seller instead of Amazon themselves.

Experien

Nope it was the hulk lab smash they had on sale for $40 from Amazon.

That is pretty wierd...the only time it has been screwy is when it looks like it is sold by Amazon LLC but they really partner with another company (still get the free ship) who has slower speeds.

What a find!

I got lucky over the weekend coming home from vacation with Target clearance. A target in Louisville KY had the GoTG Milano Spaceship on 'clearance' for 30% off!

Rootbeer

Banned
I got lucky over the weekend coming home from vacation with Target clearance. A target in Louisville KY had the GoTG Milano Spaceship on 'clearance' for 30% off!

a while back i got a similar deal at Target on a LotR set a couple weeks after it came out. Was my lucky day.

Milano would have been better though :)

I would say it also has no chance but for the fact that if there were any licencing issues Lego would of dealt with it already and it wouldn't be on ideas. It is also not a ongoing or former theme in official sets. What I see going against it is size still and is there a market for it. Most movies have a market relevance shelf life and although I haven't been actively looking, I haven't seen much if any new wall-e merchandise of any type like I have for some other older pixar shows.

I respectfully disagree on licensing issue. Wall-E was probably low on LEGO's RADAR. I agree on the size being an issue if the price point is too high. I think it has a decent chance as long as the price isn't an issue.

What a find!

Awesome find, but I think it's still extremely worth it for $15 which is current price on Amazon if someone can't find it locally on sale or clearance.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005VPRF2K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You can't count out the fact though that Lego could sell dirt if they put in a box, branded it Lego and made it exclusive to sdcc.
With the way things went this year, I think Lego could shit in a box and brand it an SDCC exclusive and people would still line up by the hundreds for it. :mad:

Lego and Disney already have a licensing deal in place, so that won't be an issue. The reason there wasn't a Wall-E before now was that they didn't make the licensing pact until Toy Story 3 came out, which was two years after Wall-E's theatrical release.

If I'm not mistaken, there's not exactly a flurry of Back to the Future or Ghostbusters merch on shelves right now either, nor has there been for quite a long time. (Which is depressing since it's the 30th anniversary of GB :< ) That didn't seem to be an issue for those sets, though.

I mean, I'm not saying it WILL get made because of those reasons. I just think in comparison to the other sets in this review wave, it has a much better chance than the monsters that are Wayne Manor and X-Mansion. We don't know how many pieces it's made of, true, but it's certainly a LOT smaller than either of those. Plus, it's made by Angus McLane himself which I'm sure gives it some kind of boost.

Is there a way to look at the sets in the latest review wave? I can only find the last wave, with the BTTF train and the birds (wtf) sets.

Exosuit get!

wLvLajC.jpg

I can confirm two things:

1) street date has definitely been "broken" in Euro stores and

2) you can actually get 2 per "household"? we coulda easily gotten 4 of them

Is there only 1 VIP card allowed per household/address then? hmmm

Either way, glad i got mine, 1 to build and display, 1 to gift and 1 for god knows what, (MOC's, resale)

Blergh I am not excited to get up early to stand in line for an Exo-Suit tomorrow but I feel like that's the only way I'm gonna score one from work. Better put an alarm on my phone so I can try to order one online as a backup.

Goddamn Lego putting a gun to my head and forcing me to buy their products.

Blergh I am not excited to get up early to stand in line for an Exo-Suit tomorrow but I feel like that's the only way I'm gonna score one from work. Better put an alarm on my phone so I can try to order one online as a backup.

Goddamn Lego putting a gun to my head and forcing me to buy their products.

Is it being release in U.S. July 31st or Aug 1st? Tomorrow is July 31st. I need to change my plans if it will be available tomorrow.

Rootbeer

Banned
touching base with my local store in case situations have changed... they confirmed they still won't be selling it until the first, they will be one per person and they don't even have them in the back yet... they will have them Friday morning.

I still plan on ordering online, but if I can only get one or two online... I might just head down there and see if I can score another.

Xater

Exosuit get!

wLvLajC.jpg

I can confirm two things:

1) street date has definitely been "broken" in Euro stores and

2) you can actually get 2 per "household"? we coulda easily gotten 4 of them

Is there only 1 VIP card allowed per household/address then? hmmm

Either way, glad i got mine, 1 to build and display, 1 to gift and 1 for god knows what, (MOC's, resale)

Shit really need to check my store here then.

Ryuuroden

With the way things went this year, I think Lego could shit in a box and brand it an SDCC exclusive and people would still line up by the hundreds for it. :mad:

Lego and Disney already have a licensing deal in place, so that won't be an issue. The reason there wasn't a Wall-E before now was that they didn't make the licensing pact until Toy Story 3 came out, which was two years after Wall-E's theatrical release.

If I'm not mistaken, there's not exactly a flurry of Back to the Future or Ghostbusters merch on shelves right now either, nor has there been for quite a long time. (Which is depressing since it's the 30th anniversary of GB :< ) That didn't seem to be an issue for those sets, though.

I mean, I'm not saying it WILL get made because of those reasons. I just think in comparison to the other sets in this review wave, it has a much better chance than the monsters that are Wayne Manor and X-Mansion. We don't know how many pieces it's made of, true, but it's certainly a LOT smaller than either of those. Plus, it's made by Angus McLane himself which I'm sure gives it some kind of boost.

Is there a way to look at the sets in the latest review wave? I can only find the last wave, with the BTTF train and the birds (wtf) sets.

I follow the collectables market and while there hasn't been toys so to speak, I've seen a bunch of Ghostbusters stuff aimed toward adult collectors. And maybe phrased it too obscure but I was saying if licencing was an issue Lego would of removed it from ideas before it passed. So basically we know licencing won't be an issue for any set that passes since Lego made the changes to how things go through ideas. More what I was inferring was I doubt Lego has a blanket licence that covers all Disney properties, they do have a relationship so adding an ip should not be an issue. My reasons for it not passing muster were below that. Unlike Ghostbusters and back to the future I do not think there is an adult market for wall-e and I don't think there is a market much for kids anymore because it's not a recent movie anymore. It's all just suppositions and opinions anyways, been wrong before, will be wrong again.

Is it being release in U.S. July 31st or Aug 1st? Tomorrow is July 31st. I need to change my plans if it will be available tomorrow.
Oh whoops!! Wow I thought tomorrow was aug 1st THANK YOU that would have suuuucked.

I follow the collectables market and while there hasn't been toys so to speak, I've seen a bunch of Ghostbusters stuff aimed toward adult collectors. And maybe phrased it too obscure but I was saying if licencing was an issue Lego would of removed it from ideas before it passed. So basically we know licencing won't be an issue for any set that passes since Lego made the changes to how things go through ideas. More what I was inferring was I doubt Lego has a blanket licence that covers all Disney properties, they do have a relationship so adding an ip should not be an issue. My reasons for it not passing muster were below that. Unlike Ghostbusters and back to the future I do not think there is an adult market for wall-e and I don't think there is a market much for kids anymore because it's not a recent movie anymore. It's all just suppositions and opinions anyways, been wrong before, will be wrong again.
AAAAHHHH I see I see I totally misunderstood what you meant about the licensing. Also yeah you could totally be right about there being a market beyond the people who backed it. I'd imagine the price point would have a big impact if it did get made - I could see a lot of parents picking it up if it wasn't too expensive since the movie seems to hold pretty dear in a lot of people's hearts.

What Ghostbusters stuff have you seen?? At SDCC I saw a lot of prototype stuff for dolls and what-not for the future but you're saying there's been other collector type stuff out recently too?? :O

judhudson

Oh whoops!! Wow I thought tomorrow was aug 1st THANK YOU that would have suuuucked.

AAAAHHHH I see I see I totally misunderstood what you meant about the licensing. Also yeah you could totally be right about there being a market beyond the people who backed it. I'd imagine the price point would have a big impact if it did get made - I could see a lot of parents picking it up if it wasn't too expensive since the movie seems to hold pretty dear in a lot of people's hearts.

What Ghostbusters stuff have you seen?? At SDCC I saw a lot of prototype stuff for dolls and what-not for the future but you're saying there's been other collector type stuff out recently too?? :O

Fellow Buster here. In the past few years, we've gotten action/collectible figures from Mattel, Props from Mattel (PKE Meter, Ghost Trap, Ecto-Goggles and Neutrona Wand), collectible die-cast cars in 1:18 and 1:43 sizes from Hot Wheels, set of plushies (Egon, Ray, Winston, Peter, Slimer & Stay Puft) and a bunch more cool stuff!

DemiMatt

I just called my local store and she said August 1st, to which I replied thank you. Then she got very stern and said "The limit is 1 per guest, and it will be on a first come first serve basis."

I don't think I've experienced that at a Lego store haha. SO I guess this piece is crazy limited?

Ravek

Banned
I just called my local store and she said August 1st, to which I replied thank you. Then she got very stern and said "The limit is 1 per guest, and it will be on a first come first serve basis."

I don't think I've experienced that at a Lego store haha. SO I guess this piece is crazy limited?

Bring two friends who arent into LEGO

Fellow Buster here. In the past few years, we've gotten action/collectible figures from Mattel, Props from Mattel (PKE Meter, Ghost Trap, Ecto-Goggles and Neutrona Wand), collectible die-cast cars in 1:18 and 1:43 sizes from Hot Wheels, set of plushies (Egon, Ray, Winston, Peter, Slimer & Stay Puft) and a bunch more cool stuff!
Dude WHAT?!? I've seen the POP figures and I think a remote control Ecto-1, but all that other stuff?!? Blaaarrgghh!! What have I been doing with my life?!

wetwired

I kinda wish LEGO had a frequent blanket Disney line like they do with the princess stuff, each year they could release a few smaller sets from random movies without doing a whole line dedicated to one film. A little Monsters Inc set with Sulley, Mike and Boo, Wall-E and Eve etc.

It would never happen but a modular Up house would be awesome :p

I kinda wish LEGO had a frequent blanket Disney line like they do with the princess stuff, each year they could release a few smaller sets from random movies without doing a whole line dedicated to one film. A little Monsters Inc set with Sulley, Mike and Boo, Wall-E and Eve etc.

Someone made a nice one (up house) at brickfete. I'll eventually get around to posting pics.

I mentioned something like that a few pages ago but I like your version better. Just an all-encompassing "Lego Disney" line that would be an evergreen theme and they'd just release a set or two whenever a new movie came out. I would LOVE Incredibles Lego sets, and they've totally dropped the ball with Wreck-It Ralph, Monster's University, there's not even friggin' Frozen sets yet. Once Upon A Time is getting a flipping Frozen season and there's not even a single Frozen Lego set.

Went to my LEGO shop today (Calgary Canada) and one of the reps confirmed 1 Exo Suit per household. They will actually be doing tickets for the lineup they are anticipating so first come, first get.

I'll be in Idaho Thursday night and will have to rely on an online order. Hopefully I have reliable wifi at that time.

Sadly he also said it is 1 suit limit online as well. I was planning on buying two. :(

Top Bottom