• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Noooo I go to the same store and there were only 2 left last week. Don't take all the Town Halls :(

Town Hall is flipping between Sold Out and on backorder the past two mornings. It's on backorder right now and will let you buy up to two, but I'm not sure how long that will last. Yesterday, it was on backorder at 7am, but by 10am it was back to Sold Out again. I only checked during those two times, so I'm not sure how fast it went to Sold Out. I think this will be like GE for a little while where it will intermittently go in and out of stock until all the inventory is gone. Good luck!

Rootbeer

Banned
It's as if the bootleggers thought "Hmm, what if LEGO did a modernized version of Fabuland?"

The results are pretty cute. I'm going to buy some.

41NsUSTyk8L.jpg

It's as if the bootleggers thought "Hmm, what if LEGO did a modernized version of Fabuland?"

The results are pretty cute. I'm going to buy some.

41NsUSTyk8L.jpg

I've thought of getting those as well. In my twisted mind, they seem a bit creepy. :)

I wonder if they'll ever bootleg dinosaurs. Maybe when Jurassic World comes out.
I'm hoping LEGO uses the same moulds as the last round of dinos.

T-Rex by John Moffatt, on Flickr

Rootbeer

Banned
Not having bootleg Dinos is the biggest mistake bootleggers have made. They would clean up. It would also help curb the outrageous pricing on the legit Dinos.

Town Hall is flipping between Sold Out and on backorder the past two mornings. It's on backorder right now and will let you buy up to two, but I'm not sure how long that will last. Yesterday, it was on backorder at 7am, but by 10am it was back to Sold Out again. I only checked during those two times, so I'm not sure how fast it went to Sold Out. I think this will be like GE for a little while where it will intermittently go in and out of stock until all the inventory is gone. Good luck!

Jackpot! Scored one, thanks oneknightr!

Fowler

Snagged the AT-AT and some minifigs today! On a bit of a Hoth kick, so I grabbed a Rebel Pilot Luke (that I can hang under the AT-AT), Hoth Leia, Bacta Tank Luke... and General Cracken, because he was cheap.

Now I need to figure out just where I can put the AT-AT -- and how to hide this purchase from my girlfriend...

Rootbeer

Banned
Another TRU truck day, another day without LEGO Hobbit sets coming off said truck...

They told me to try again Thurs :p but at this point I may as well just say screw that and get them off S@H for double VIP

i have a tru coupon i'm trying to use though >.<

Rootbeer

Banned
I guess this might be my last chance to get the town hall.

I need to seriously decide. Right now I have Perisian Restaurant and Pet Shop. I plan on getting the Detective Agency. I don't have Town Hall but came really close to buying it about two weeks ago when I saw a damaged box version for around $172.

Is this worth buying even if it's not one of the stronger modulars? I am really torn on if i need this or not

If I buy it I'll be over budget... but I guess I can make do if I cut in some other areas.

rallaren

I have got my hands on rebuilding set 5893 Off-Road Power into the B-model and I like it more so far. The A model was just too much detail. I will probably sell it.

Also I thought I wouldn't order more sets but I have... heh.

theaface

I need to seriously decide. Right now I have Perisian Restaurant and Pet Shop. I plan on getting the Detective Agency. I don't have Town Hall but came really close to buying it about two weeks ago when I saw a damaged box version for around $172.

Is this worth buying even if it's not one of the stronger modulars? I am really torn on if i need this or not

If I buy it I'll be over budget... but I guess I can make do if I cut in some other areas.

Buy it. It's the centrepiece of any modular town. Do it!

R-User!

I say just get the Town Hall Modular: worst case you don't like it you can most likely recuperate your cost when its OOP...

Picked up the 1st bricktober set at TRU today. I wanted to grab a Star Wars advent calendar and some mixels to hit $75 but they were sold out. I convinced the cashier to sell it to me anyway.

Looks good, but it's starting to get the City theme vibe as in it will be a lot of rehashes over the years. That's good news for my wallet.

Will get the balloon for sure. Looks like a new plastic piece with clips to make the balloon.
Looks like we'll finally get another adult male with Emma's house. Poor Olivia's dad. He had the whole town with the 2 or 3 adult females to himself.

EDIT: Yeah, the little bunnies too. I have plenty of Friends animals now. We need non-super cute versions of animals to go with the non-minidoll sets.

Okay slightly more interesting question regarding Town Hall than "should I get it":

If you had to pick one to own (OOP status doesn't matter), would you pick Grand Emporium or Town Hall?

How about Palace Cinema versus Town Hall?

I feel like anything Grand Emporium level or above is probably worth owning.

ghostmind

Yeah, those scissors look great, and I would be more into the lighthouse if I already didn't have the CREATOR version.

Going to have to see larger images before I can make my mind up on some of the other sets.

Ryuuroden

Okay slightly more interesting question regarding Town Hall than "should I get it":

If you had to pick one to own (OOP status doesn't matter), would you pick Grand Emporium or Town Hall?

How about Palace Cinema versus Town Hall?

I feel like anything Grand Emporium level or above is probably worth owning.

Everything is better than Palace Cinema. Town Hall overall is comparable or better than Grand Emporium. In my opinion at least. When I judge a set I factor in how many interesting build methods does it have, how does it display, the parts it supplies useful for other things, Interior, WOW factor. Town Hall scores high on display, useful parts, and mid level on build methods (high if just the roof was judged), mid-level wow factor, mid-level on Interior. Just as a comparison, Only Parisian Restaurant and Green Grocer score high for WOW factor for me for all the modulars I own. Parisian Restaurant is probably the set you would base all other sets rankings on. Its that good, I score it nearly perfect in all categories. Also I am not nearly as enamored with Pet Shop as a lot of others are (I do own 3 sets of it though) and would probably rank Town Hall above or equal to pet shop when averaging out all factors. It scores lower in some areas but higher in others. Palace Cinema scores low in nearly all categories, I plan on doing a massive modification of it to suit my cities standards.

One note about Pet Shop though is I would not mind seeing some 75 dollar sets of half modulars (aka 16x32 plates) in the same style in addition to the regular modular they release each year. I would love to see what they could do with small shops and row houses and so on in that style and it would offer a under $100 pricetag for people. Please LEGO, take my idea. They sort of did it with the creator sets like the bike shop but I want them to go farther and make them actually fully compatible with modulars but at 16x32 plates they would be half the price. I think that would allow for a much more expanded number of types of shops and so on.

Everything is better than Palace Cinema. Town Hall overall is comparable or better than Grand Emporium. In my opinion at least. When I judge a set I factor in how many interesting build methods does it have, how does it display, the parts it supplies useful for other things, Interior, WOW factor. Town Hall scores high on display, useful parts, and mid level on build methods (high if just the roof was judged), mid-level wow factor, mid-level on Interior. Just as a comparison, Only Parisian Restaurant and Green Grocer score high for WOW factor for me for all the modulars I own. Parisian Restaurant is probably the set you would base all other sets rankings on. Its that good, I score it nearly perfect in all categories. Also I am not nearly as enamored with Pet Shop as a lot of others are (I do own 3 sets of it though) and would probably rank Town Hall above or equal to pet shop when averaging out all factors. It scores lower in some areas but higher in others. Palace Cinema scores low in nearly all categories, I plan on doing a massive modification of it to suit my cities standards.

One note about Pet Shop though is I would not mind seeing some 75 dollar sets of half modulars (aka 16x32 plates) in the same style in addition to the regular modular they release each year. I would love to see what they could do with small shops and row houses and so on in that style and it would offer a under $100 pricetag for people. Please LEGO, take my idea. They sort of did it with the creator sets like the bike shop but I want them to go farther and make them actually fully compatible with modulars but at 16x32 plates they would be half the price. I think that would allow for a much more expanded number of types of shops and so on.

Thanks, I'm considering getting Town Hall and skipping Palace Cinema. While I like it, it doesn't seem to fit as well with the rest, and the stickers is a big turn-off. Might as well wait for the next corner building since there's no need for that many corners.

I would agree Parisian Restaurant is the best one so far, I'm almost done building it. Don't have the Green Grocer. Pet Shop is a little overrated but still probably my second favorite. I do think the Grand Emporium is a bit underrated - it has a pretty good interior on the first floor, a cool rotating door, the escalator build was fun, the chandelier build was very unique, the building featured a lot of cool exterior builds that's you don't really see in other modulars, and I loved the sign on the roof.

Oh and I have to disagree with your second point. I never split up the Pet Shop because it just breaks the consistency of all the buildings. I like how each building has the same base size and I hope they keep it that way.

Oh Lego, I like pretty much all of those Friends sets but I sure hope it doesn't descend into the neverending rehash of City.

Hate to break it to you, but that's pretty much how it looks. Friends is the evergreen theme for minidoll sets. Friends theme = City theme.

The cool thing is they have already have other minidoll themes, Disney Princess theme and the coming Elves theme.
It would be crazy if they started doing other licensed themes that they have with the minifigs. I'd totally go for a Friends Super Hero theme. Batgirl, "I only work in pink&#8230;.And sometimes very, very bright red."

Yeah, those scissors look great, and I would be more into the lighthouse if I already didn't have the CREATOR version.

Going to have to see larger images before I can make my mind up on some of the other sets.

I'd imagine most people could bricklink the parts in "Friends" colors and get them in more standard colors then make the set themselves.

neonglow

Read the fine print. Only at Toys R Us.

I'm hoping for $4, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's $5.

It's not gonna be for sale. It's in a promotional polybag so you will get it free with a purchase of some sort. One speculation is that it might come free when you buy the movie.

Hate to break it to you, but that's pretty much how it looks. Friends is the evergreen theme for minidoll sets. Friends theme = City theme.

The cool thing is they have already have other minidoll themes, Disney Princess theme and the coming Elves theme.
It would be crazy if they started doing other licensed themes that they have with the minifigs. I'd totally go for a Friends Super Hero theme. Batgirl, "I only work in pink….And sometimes very, very bright red."

I'd imagine most people could bricklink the parts in "Friends" colors and get them in more standard colors then make the set themselves.

Oh I know it's gonna descend into Rehash my Friends sets! I will just enjoy the ride until it comes to a screeching halt.

And that polybag is great, if anyone finds multiples, I will buy it off you!

Rootbeer

Banned
HEY why is Rocket using Ezra's lightsaber piece!
I kid

Yes, that Rocket polybag will be mine :) By hook or by crook!

I slept on the Town Hall thought and now it's not for sale, as predicted. If they restock again I'll still be considering it >.< LEGO budget is just insane already though. A lot of eBay and Bricklink spending.

Top Bottom