• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

I'm annoyed. I need both Cinderella and the green ninja for pieces, but I'd rather not buy their entire sets since I have no need for the rest. Oh well, guess they'll turn up at Bricklink at scalper prices.

Jang sold me on Metalbeard. I need him climbing all over Imperial Flagship like a steampunk King Kong. Possibly with Brickbeard's face instead. I also want Dol Guldur (for parts and Radagast+Azog) and Mirkwood Elves (for Thranduil), but it's annoying how quickly stuff gets discounted nowadays, I feel like an idiot for buying early. Then again, I could really use DG as a parts pack for my MOC.

I also kind of want Parisian Restaurant but all of that will easily be another 1500 SEK and I'm not sure my Lego budget stretches quite that far... also, while the modular buildings are awesome builds and good value for money, I really don't have anywhere to put them.

It's not officially out yet. Best bet is to keep an eye out at Target or TRU around Valentine's Day or Easter. They will also inevitably show up en masse on Bricklink/eBay at some point.

Do these sell out quickly / get scalped a lot?

This one looks awesome. I can think of a few people that would like it.

I finally got around to building my first train last night, the Passenger Train. Phon suggested it a few months ago when I asked about Bricklinking the Holiday Train and I am really pleased I went with it.

While I didn't get any LEGO for Christmas, I did treat myself to a new camera so I thought I'd try it out with some set pictures.

It's the first City set (outside of the lawnmower polybag) that I've ever built. The actual build seems pretty simplistic but I think that's the target for this particular theme.

One thing I hadn't seen before is three sizes of instruction booklets in a single set. Is this a common practice in City?

CAxpZjEh.jpg

As I mentioned, it was a pretty simple build so it wasn't terribly engaging. Too many stickers as well.

The "electrics" of the engine were very well identified, and the build actually included color coding the individual pieces with tiles. I do think that they could have left more room in the engine because in order to put the roof on you really do have to squish all the wires in.

The finished engine & included wireless controller.

I was pretty shocked to see how tiny the controller actually is. Forgive my nasty hand, used for scale.

The train itself maintains a sleek look throughout, including the cabin. My kids had an absolute blast filling up every square inch with figures.

Speaking of figs, there are only three but the two passengers are awesome. I didn't have either of their torsos and they are ridiculous.

The tracks are really neat in how they connect. I didn't know what to expect but I wasn't expecting the amount of flexibility with the smaller "flex" pieces. If this set has taught me anything it's these two things:

1) I need to buy more tracks
2) I need a bigger table

I mentioned that there are too many stickers, but the saving grace is the awesome route map sticker. This may be my favorite sticker in our collection. I'm not sure what that says about me.

And the finished train itself. Like I said, the kids are loving it. It's up on our dining room table now and they are having a blast with the power functions. This will not be our last train. My three year old is absolutely petrified of derailing it while the seven year old is an expert at accidentally cranking it up to top speed so it shatters on the hardwood floor. Pieces everywhere, but it's such a simple set that it's easy to reassemble.

If you're on the fence about trains this seems like a great place to start. I'm so glad I didn't jump in with Horizon Express; the "playability" of the Passenger Train is so great with the tracks & power functions.

Bonus pic! Railroad engineering is hard work that makes you thirsty. So is figuring out the white balance on new cameras.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Sonnavagun. The decorative curved slope bricks for the carriage are printed. As a MOC builder, I don't like this. Curved slopes are very useful and not many sets have them in this color. I understand for those that only build the models this is good news.

You could rub them off. They'd lose their value, but if you really need those slopes in that color...

Any opinions on the 21017 Imperial Palace, LegoGaf? I'm thinking of making my foray into the Architecture line and having just returned home from beautiful Japan, this set seems very fitting.

Do these sell out quickly / get scalped a lot?

This one looks awesome. I can think of a few people that would like it.

It's depend where you live I suppose. This year was the first time I actively look for them and I found entire display at two (out of the four) Wal-Mart close to me. So not all stores will have them but mine had plenty to go around. I should have pick up few more of the Batmobile from last year.

It's depend where you live I suppose. This year was the first time I actively look for them and I found entire display at two (out of the four) Wal-Mart close to me. So not all stores will have them but mine had plenty to go around. I should have pick up few more of the Batmobile from last year.

Batmobile? I picked up a couple Bat boat polybags last year but didn't see any Batmobiles.

Around these parts you need to hop on them immediately or you'll miss the...chance.

So I saw the Lego set that had the two minifigures with the throwback shirts (Blacktron and Fabuland)...I didn't care much for the set itself so I figure I'll bricklink the minifigs. Same goes for the collectible Lego minifigs, I can't feel a bag to save my life so why waste moolah?

Batmobile? I picked up a couple Bat boat polybags last year but didn't see any Batmobiles.

Around these parts you need to hop on them immediately or you'll miss the...chance.

wOLJ0Tkl.jpg

This was the one I pick up around Easter this year. I don't think it was selling all too well initially because the lack of mini-figures. The local Bricks and Mini-figs stores around here only buy out all the one with minifigures. I went to their stores the other day and was quite annoy because they have about 50 of the Robin Red Cycle that they got from TRU promotion.

ghostmind

Looking at that pirate ship again, I'm having second thoughts. It looks like a really odd shaped ship. It looks like a short ship horizontally with a really high cabin/deck vertically.

Let's zoom in a bit:

CzYa8lN.jpg

It's definitely not proportioned like the Imperial Flagship, or a real sailing ship, as its bridge is extremely tall, but I think that's the point, given that it is part of a line of other ridiculous vehicles.

I'm thinking you could MOD it by reducing that bridge height, and make it more evenly-proportioned.

EDIT: It also looks like there is a smokestack in the middle of the ship, and some sort of turbine on the side, so it definitely is not a normal sailing ship.

Ryuuroden

Let's zoom in a bit:

CzYa8lN.jpg

It's definitely not proportioned like the Imperial Flagship, or a real sailing ship, as its bridge is extremely tall, but I think that's the point, given that it is part of a line of other ridiculous vehicles.

I'm thinking you could MOD it by reducing that bridge height, and make it more evenly-proportioned.

EDIT: It also looks like there is a smokestack in the middle of the ship, and some sort of turbine on the side, so it definitely is not a normal sailing ship.

Lego going fantasy steampunk would be like a dream come true for many of us. I will be all over that ship in this case and I will make it even more crazy

neonglow

Let's zoom in a bit:

CzYa8lN.jpg

It might look alright once the final packaging comes out, but I think this will be a hard sell to the general public if it is a 10xxx set. In that price range, people usually want something they can identify with.

JqxKLZ6l.jpg

So this thing is cheap carboard and really overpriced but I really like it for storing my minifigs. My local TRU has these Bricktober one for $19.99 despite the not for resale on the packaging, I guess they must have a whole bunch left over. May be they will put them on clearances.

neonglow

Forgot to mentioned I was surprised the Lego Movie sets were all at MSRP without the usual TRU tax at TRU... Is it only with this series? I wonder the reasons.

Most LEGO sets at TRU start out normal but eventually go up when they start running a sale like BOGO 50% off. After that, they either go back down or just stay there.

Can anyone tell me the difference between Sold Out and Out of Stock on Shop@Home?

Sold Out will eventually restock?

Out of Stock will never restock?

I'm chomping at the bit to get Wolverine's Chopper Showdown, but it's OoS on @home and I can't find it anywhere in town. It must be retiring soon? I guess I should thank my wife for getting me Marvel LEGO Superheroes for Christmas and starting the itch for the Marvel sets. That's the only set I really want as well. Logan's my homie. :(

Can anyone tell me the difference between Sold Out and Out of Stock on Shop@Home?

I'm chomping at the bit to get Wolverine's Chopper Showdown, but it's OoS on @home and I can't find it anywhere in town. It must be retiring soon? I guess I should thank my wife for getting me Marvel LEGO Superheroes for Christmas and starting the itch for the Marvel sets. That's the only set I really want as well. Logan's my homie. :(

I think it's the other way around, but I don't really know. Sold Out = all gone, and out of stock = will get restock at some point.

Darn you, wish you had let me know earlier, I had one for sale but someone snapped it up on ebay...:(

flyingpig

Neo Member
wOLJ0Tkl.jpg

This was the one I pick up around Easter this year. I don't think it was selling all too well initially because the lack of mini-figures. The local Bricks and Mini-figs stores around here only buy out all the one with minifigures. I went to their stores the other day and was quite annoy because they have about 50 of the Robin Red Cycle that they got from TRU promotion.

So THAT'S what happened! I was wondering why they were all gone.

ghostmind

Sold Out = gone/done

Call to check product availability = we might have some copies left in the back corner
somewhere, but pretty much gone

Out of stock, expected ship date xxx = no worries, we don't have any right now, but we are making more and here is when they will be in the warehouse

Darn you, wish you had let me know earlier, I had one for sale but someone snapped it up on ebay...:(

It's my own fault. I can get it online for a $15 surcharge. Buh.

And thanks ghostmind. Thankfully Unexpected Gathering has an expected ship date on @home. Now I don't know if I should order it or wait for double VIP. Should probably buy.

Man, I think I gambled poorly this year. I usually buy the Lego Star Wars Advent Calendar after Xmas/New Years...2013 can't be found anywhere!

Anyone have any around them preferably for retail? I'm good for it!

In other news, picked up 10 of the Lego Movie mini figure packs, one dupe with Wyldstyle, but I LOVE how Happy Emmet's second face is.

ADD5EA86-EB59-4BDC-917F-FFCFECE9D9C2_zpsn9ar29ig.jpg

45913149-57A5-40B2-AB9A-15A8427205C3_zpspaziyksz.jpg

So THAT'S what happened! I was wondering why they were all gone.

Are you in Portland area also? I remember someone here said that. Yeah, I am pretty sure that's what happen. I went to TRU that morning of the promotion and the manager told me someone had put those out early and they were all sold and not to bother calling any other TRU because none of them has it. I don't know if it's "inside" job or the guys at Bricks and Mini-figs just go around to all the TRU here and bought them all up by asking the people to bring them out from the back.

Man, I think I gambled poorly this year. I usually buy the Lego Star Wars Advent Calendar after Xmas/New Years...2013 can't be found anywhere!

Yeah, I am pretty bum about it also. I though there would be plenty, at one point TRU has it for less than retail and I skip on it. Apparently they didn't want to get burn like last year and produce very little. I also noticed that only TRU and couple of Targets I went to have them. Fred Myers and Wal-Mart didn't carry them this year.

Just finished MetalBeard's Duel. This has to be the most insane, ludicrous, and silly official set I have built. And thank goodness. Probably the closest to anything steampunk until the ship comes out later this year.
Not only does he have a shark for an arm, but he has a treasure chest (no, seriously. His actual chest is a treasure chest) that is filled with hotdogs and bones. Add in a dual cannon arm, and an awesome sword, and it just gets better. The mecha peg leg is great too, and the metallic parrot on top is crazy too. I like thinking that his parrot died long ago and he just simply put a metal cast of it up there to remind him of past glories.

Really, really, really fun set. Just completely absurd from beginning to end, and I mean that in the best way.

Did someone say they need the Hive Crawler? Yoyo.com has the set for $44 after coupon: TOYSALE20

http://www.yoyo.com/p/lego-space-hive-crawler-70708-807705

They also have Jabba's Sail Barge for $80 and a couple other deals.

http://www.yoyo.com/subcat=LEGO-104...ageSize=200&SortExpression=Price (Descending)

I ended up getting Worriz' Combat Lair for $35 which was 50% off.

http://www.yoyo.com/p/lego-chima-worriz-combat-lair-70009-807682

Not cool tempting me like that. :p That's an extremely tempting price for Worriz Combat Lair. I really want Wilhurt and Windra minifigs. Heck, Worriz, Wilhurt, and Windra would cost over $20 alone for the minifigs on Bricklink.

I'm a sucker too for 50% off MSRP. Ugh....

EDIT: Dangit. I finally caved in and it was too good of a deal to pass up, but it was out of stock just now. That will teach me not to try to listen to reason and not spend more money.

ghostmind

Just finished MetalBeard's Duel. This has to be the most insane, ludicrous, and silly official set I have built. And thank goodness. Probably the closest to anything steampunk until the ship comes out later this year.
Not only does he have a shark for an arm, but he has a treasure chest (no, seriously. His actual chest is a treasure chest) that is filled with hotdogs and bones. Add in a dual cannon arm, and an awesome sword, and it just gets better. The mecha peg leg is great too, and the metallic parrot on top is crazy too. I like thinking that his parrot died long ago and he just simply put a metal cast of it up there to remind him of past glories.

Really, really, really fun set. Just completely absurd from beginning to end, and I mean that in the best way.

Really happy to hear that MetalBeard delivers. I just finished the Rescue Reinforcements set, and insanity is the key word for this theme. Such a fun build, with a cool Fire Mech, an AT-ST style robot, a crazy windmill helicopter and some great minifigs.

I'm going to have to pick up more Movie sets on Wednesday, because so far this theme is delivering big!

Wow, the fire truck is also awesome. So many cool details on it. I kind of understand why it doesn't have a second mode though, it's already very Transformers-y and with just a head on top it could very well be an official Lego Inferno or something. Kreo would be angry, either way.

A shame that they didn't make a bigger windmill and use the longer riggings on it ;)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
probably eyeing those joint pieces... genna make some metal gears :)

he's used legos before so I'm not surprised. Legos were regularly used for level desine and layout when they were working on MGS1.

hideo-kojima-lego-metal-gear-solid.jpg

I tried using LEGO for level design, but nowadays it's quick and easy to get a prototype level up and running using prefabs/building blocks, or even Google SketchUp.

Ryuuroden

Woooo, looking forward to building the new modular tomorrow. Gonna be at the store at 10. Based on what I am hearing, I will probably pick up a movie set too.

Woooo, looking forward to building the new modular tomorrow. Gonna be at the store at 10. Based on what I am hearing, I will probably pick up a movie set too.

I wont be at the store that early (hell, probably wont be awake that early), but planning the long drive to pick up the modular as well.

And as for movie sets, DO IT. Just the one I did was nuts. Insanity is the theme.

ghostmind

My LEGO store doesn't open until 11, but I'll be there early standing in line. Was talking with the store manager a couple days ago, and he expects a perfect storm (new modular, general public thinking most new sets not available until Jan 1st, monthly sign ups for build events, and the typical Jan 1st crowd) to result in a big crowd showing up for store opening.

Ryuuroden

I wont be at the store that early (hell, probably wont be awake that early), but planning the long drive to pick up the modular as well.

And as for movie sets, DO IT. Just the one I did was nuts. Insanity is the theme.

Call them right after they open and have them hold it for you till you get there. My local store has plenty, I asked them over the phone today, but you never know with modulars. I missed out on emporium right when it was released because they sold out on day 1 and I couldn't make it till the weekend. I ended up having to wait more than a month.

You guys are getting me pumped about the Movie sets and Parisean Cafe. But I'm really behind on Modulars as I only own the Fire House and I'm trying to save money for a new iMac.

LEGO GAF, destroying wallets since 2011.

Picked up a few treats to top off the year.

So far I have built the Movie Set (loved it) and the Utapau tripod. One thing about these new blasters, boy can they go some! Anyone with kids or pets is going to rue the day they fired one of them as you''ll not see where it goes till you tread on it or move house!

Lego Movie wise I am going to get Metalbeard as it's crazy looking, Fire Mech as it's a mech then possibly the other Police car.

ghostmind

Picked up a few treats to top off the year.

So far I have built the Movie Set (loved it) and the Utapau tripod. One thing about these new blasters, boy can they go some! Anyone with kids or pets is going to rue the day they fired one of them as you''ll not see where it goes till you tread on it or move house!

Lego Movie wise I am going to get Metalbeard as it's crazy looking, Fire Mech as it's a mech then possibly the other Police car.

Sweet haul!

I don't think North America is getting the new Star Wars sets until February, but I'm going to outfit my CIty police force with these new blasters - no more having to fight crime with just handcuffs and walkie-talkies!

ghostmind

dLswXbK.jpg

EDIT: LOL

Reactions:

2741 pieces?!? OHMIGODOHMIGOD
It is Steampunk! OHGEEZOHGEEZ
It includes a smaller MetalBeard and Benny?! Awesome!
It includes the double-decker couch? LOLOL
How many cannons?!?
That cow has wings!!

I have a really good feeling about this set!

Top Bottom