• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

From the upcoming 76027: Black Manta Deep Sea Strike, it's Scuba Robin!

zw0QE0P.jpg

In my room I have a futon next to my bed for guests, and I had a friend staying over one night... lights go out, and I'm getting ready to sleep and she goes "Hey. HEY!! What are those glowing things over there??" I look around my room and see the two floating glowing things near the foot of my bed. I put my head back in the pillow and say "Oh, they're just ghosts." She goes "Shut the fuck up!! Seriously what are they??" I grab my phone and hit the flashlight and show her the two LEGO ghosts floating around the Haunted House. "I told you, they're ghosts!"

Hopefully I can still find the Ghost Train in that Burbank comic store before Halloween. >:D

Also, I got the LAST Elves bonus set. Phew! Almost missed out completely. My haul:

Winter Village (gonna build it and give it to my parents for their Christmas display, I think)
Bat, Turkey, Riendeer, and Snowman (all for my mum)
Research Institute (for my neuroscientist friend)
TMNT movie Turtle Van (for myself)
Blue Mixel with the ice snot (cause I wasn't sure if I was gonna hit the bonus set limit.)

wetwired

x-post from eurobricks cause I'm lazy

Adam from Brickin' It custom printed minifgures was generous enough to send me a copy of their first custom minifigure they're produced (Gozer) The Destructor!

To start with I wanted to point out the packaging, I haven't really bought any custom figures before but I thought this little matchbox sized custom packaging was a nice touch.

Gozer the Destructor Packaging by Brent Waller, on Flickr

Inside was the destructor herself in parts along with 2x blue lighting bolt pieces.

Gozer the Destructor by Brent Waller, on Flickr

The quality of the printing is excellent, they apparently use the same technique as LEGO and it shows, very high quality printing that looks perfect, just like the real deal.

With her lighting bolt attachments

Overall I was very impressed with the print and design, apart from some shoddy chinese LEGO knockoffs I've never actually bought 3rd party minifgures before so this was a first for me. And having made this exact character myself with waterslide decals and been unhappy with the results makes their output even more impressive to me.

Rootbeer

Banned
photo-main.jpg

MOUSE GUARD! This Kickstarter, if funded, will see the release of licensed mouse guard LEGO-compatible parts. I don't know about you guys but I really love the comics.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crazybricks/bricks-of-the-mouse-guard-for-your-miniature-figur

No mouse tails though? I hope it's added in a stretch goal

wetwired:

What is the white thing in her mouth? It's not shown on the promo images, looks like a very minor (but thanks to its placement and color, easily fixable) print error. Still, for a 15 AUD figure I think they should screen for errors a little closer.

It looks pretty LEGO-authentic. Very nice.

I also like that matchbook packaging, nice touch.

Rootbeer

Banned
Canadians getting that sweet Rocket variant T__T

I hope we get some news on a USA release soon or i'm gonna have to ebay one

We haven't even received that brown Ninjago figure yet.

Canadians getting that sweet Rocket variant T__T

I hope we get some news on a USA release soon or i'm gonna have to ebay one

We haven't even received that brown Ninjago figure yet.

Is it crazy that I'm considering crossing an international border to get this?

It's a 45 minute drive assuming an easy border crossing.

Ainaurdur

photo-main.jpg

MOUSE GUARD! This Kickstarter, if funded, will see the release of licensed mouse guard LEGO-compatible parts. I don't know about you guys but I really love the comics.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crazybricks/bricks-of-the-mouse-guard-for-your-miniature-figur

No mouse tails though? I hope it's added in a stretch goal.

I feel like I have heard about Mouse Guard but have never seen or read any of it. I immediately thought of Brian Jacques Redwall series. Might have to look into it.

Even if I don't have any attachment to the source, it might be nice to have some mice heads and custom swords etc for a MOC or two... one thing I hate (love?) about Kickstarters, I am tempted to jump up to the $200 level for the full variety and exclusives. Talk me out of it, Zulithe!

Rootbeer

Banned
Is it crazy that I'm considering crossing an international border to get this?

It's a 45 minute drive assuming an easy border crossing.
If it were only 45 mins for me then no, by all means that is not crazy. Hell I already have to travel about 30 mins to get to my local LEGO store. 45 is an easy choice to get an exclusive that is going to be in high demand.
I feel like I have heard about Mouse Guard but have never seen or read any of it. I immediately thought of Brian Jacques Redwall series. Might have to look into it.

Even if I don't have any attachment to the source, it might be nice to have some mice heads and custom swords etc for a MOC or two... one thing I hate (love?) about Kickstarters, I am tempted to jump up to the $200 level for the full variety and exclusives. Talk me out of it, Zulithe!
Even if you know nothing about Mouse Guard itself, if you are a fan of Redwall these should be just as appealing.

And if you *do* like Redwall, then you need to go buy some Mouse Guard trade paperbacks because it's perfect for a Redwall fan.

I went for the $35 level because it gives you two of everything, including stuff that will be added through stretch goals... though it's hard to say how many stretch goals will be reached considering the niche nature... so I'm hoping the word spreads.

$200 would definitely get you a lot!

Oh, and check out the Mouse Guard FAQ

I was about to give up on buying current and future Minifigure Series because the prices on Bricklink are just Bricksane!
But today at the local shop I saw a very full box of Series 12 and thought, what the heck, I'll give my feeling powers a spin.

16 bought bags later I have a complete set for RRP @ 2.50€ a pop. :) (I specifically found and bought a second warrior princess :))
If they increase the prices further I'm out. But I figure a complete series will keep it's value.

x-post from eurobricks cause I'm lazy

Adam from Brickin' It custom printed minifgures was generous enough to send me a copy of their first custom minifigure they're produced (Gozer) The Destructor!

To start with I wanted to point out the packaging, I haven't really bought any custom figures before but I thought this little matchbox sized custom packaging was a nice touch.

Gozer the Destructor Packaging by Brent Waller, on Flickr

Inside was the destructor herself in parts along with 2x blue lighting bolt pieces.

The quality of the printing is excellent, they apparently use the same technique as LEGO and it shows, very high quality printing that looks perfect, just like the real deal.

Overall I was very impressed with the print and design, apart from some shoddy chinese LEGO knockoffs I've never actually bought 3rd party minifgures before so this was a first for me. And having made this exact character myself with waterslide decals and been unhappy with the results makes their output even more impressive to me.

Nice! Oh I wish I didn't get started on custom printed LEGO minifigs. They are pricey.
I'm counter balancing it with the knockoffs.

I love their logo. A big pile of bricks that stinks.

photo-main.jpg

No mouse tails though? I hope it's added in a stretch goal

wetwired:

What is the white thing in her mouth? It's not shown on the promo images, looks like a very minor (but thanks to its placement and color, easily fixable) print error. Still, for a 15 AUD figure I think they should screen for errors a little closer.

I supported that project. I think I did the $35 one. I did his very first one with pig and cow heads. I skipped his next two. This one looks good as it will have printing too which the pig and cows lacked.

The older B-wing 6208 had a nice little stand/loading platform. It's a shame they didn't keep that in the new one.

Do the round stickers on this, the previous b-wing, or the milano bug anyone else? To me they look like round pricing stickers you'd see at a garage sale.

They need a bit weathering effect to not look like discount stickers, stickers on LEGO just bug me in general but I do understand why they exist.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just wanted to drop a decent deal I found here...

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/lord-of-the-rings-bundle/

for $9.99 you get:

LEGO The Hobbit
LEGO The Hobbit - Complete DLC Pack
Lord of the Rings: War in the North
Guardians of Middle-earth
Guardians of Middle Earth: Smaug's Treasure
LEGO The Lord of the Rings

All steam versions

I don't know if it's actually true but there have been rumors for a while that they were going to release a DLC pack for LEGO: The Hobbit that adds story content from the third film, since the game only has An Unexpected Journey and The Desolation Of Smaug. I hope that turns out to be true... and if it is, this bundle is an even better value since you'll only need to buy one DLC pack to have the full thing.

Ainaurdur

Even if you know nothing about Mouse Guard itself, if you are a fan of Redwall these should be just as appealing.

And if you *do* like Redwall, then you need to go buy some Mouse Guard trade paperbacks because it's perfect for a Redwall fan.

I went for the $35 level because it gives you two of everything, including stuff that will be added through stretch goals... though it's hard to say how many stretch goals will be reached considering the niche nature... so I'm hoping the word spreads.

$200 would definitely get you a lot!

Oh, and check out the Mouse Guard FAQ

I just stopped by my local public library, took out the hardcover copies of Fall and Winter. Will give those a read and then see how I feel about the whole thing. ;)

Ravek

Banned
Thanks, my laziness got the best of me and I just decided screw it and took the mini figs out. Don't know if I will bother assembling the copter though.

And the airship depends. If I ever get something like the Sea Cow then maybe something along the lines from FFIX but if I have like say something simpler like the LoTR Pirate Ambush then probably just a Red Wing from FF IV. No matter what it would end up having personal touches and I like the more steampunk feel.

I was hoping you'd say FFIX. DO IT!

Thanks, my laziness got the best of me and I just decided screw it and took the mini figs out. Don't know if I will bother assembling the copter though.

And the airship depends. If I ever get something like the Sea Cow then maybe something along the lines from FFIX but if I have like say something simpler like the LoTR Pirate Ambush then probably just a Red Wing from FF IV. No matter what it would end up having personal touches and I like the more steampunk feel.

Reading this made me hunt down the posts from 2013 where I made an airship MOC.

Some stuff I am still proud of in that MOC, while others just remind of of how much better I could have made it.

Especially after Sea Cow, I want to revisit the steampunk airship idea.

I was about to give up on buying current and future Minifigure Series because the prices on Bricklink are just Bricksane!
But today at the local shop I saw a very full box of Series 12 and thought, what the heck, I'll give my feeling powers a spin.

16 bought bags later I have a complete set for RRP @ 2.50€ a pop. :) (I specifically found and bought a second warrior princess :))
If they increase the prices further I'm out. But I figure a complete series will keep it's value.

Are you in the UK? I'd love a shop that opened the bags and allowed me to buy whichever I wanted.

Ponn

Banned
I was hoping you'd say FFIX. DO IT!

Yea i would like to do something like that but it would be a massive moc for me. Plus I would have to get the Sea Cow to have a lot of the pieces I had in mind which I do have down my Christmas//Birthday list for my family so *crosses fingers* They never know what to get me and usually stick to my wish list and sometimes all chip in to get me something big, like this would be.

Yup i remember that and truthfully thats what gave me the idea. i love your ideas and Steampunk feel with it. i do want to go for more of a propellor design with some steam pipes like on Sea Cow.

Yea i would like to do something like that but it would be a massive moc for me. Plus I would have to get the Sea Cow to have a lot of the pieces I had in mind which I do have down my Christmas//Birthday list for my family so *crosses fingers* They never know what to get me and usually stick to my wish list and sometimes all chip in to get me something big, like this would be.

Yup i remember that and truthfully thats what gave me the idea. i love your ideas and Steampunk feel with it. i do want to go for more of a propellor design with some steam pipes like on Sea Cow.
Sea Cow has given me ideas for top mounted propellers like a FFIV Red Wing.

Alright, just finished the Ghost. Really entertaining build. The outer wing parts were awesome and I felt like my mind was being blown the entire time. Pretty solid ship in most aspects, and most of this is just nitpicking because I can. There are quite a few design decisions that I really disagree with/will try to improve myself.

First, the entire underside is quite disappointing. The back underside especially is quite lacking.
There is a large fin running through the middle but otherwise, as you can see, there is just two huge gaping holes there. The rounded/slanted top is incredibly cool and in comparison it looks like the designer just threw in the towel for the bottom. Compare it to the front underside:
There is a bit of effort there but even that leaves quite a bit to be desired. Redoing this bottom part will be quite the task, and I have no idea how I would even begin to accomplish it, but until then I will be distracted by what isn't there.

See that cool mounted turret on the top of the ship? Yeah, it isn't anchored down into anything. It just floats in a slot and while it allows a wide 360 degree turning radius for taking on pretty much any angle, swooshing the ship upside down will cause this entire tower thing to just fall out:
This is the giant slot that the turret tower slides into. As you can see, there is nothing to latch on to and nothing to keep the assembly together. It just falls out. I'm thinking about using one of those technic-ish pieces to use at the bottom to keep the tower attached + still able to spin. Not sure if that will work though.

Overall, the Ghost is a great build and is a great looking ship. I had a blast building it and because of Wal-Mart's mess up I got it for $21.22 after tax. You simply cannot beat that. I am about to spend more money on the Phantom back attachment with Ezra than I did for the big Ghost ship - which is crazy to think about. I recommend the ship to anyone who likes Star Wars and has the money to spend. It's a big sturdy ship and looks great next to the X-Wing. Good stuff.

wetwired

wetwired:

I don't know to be honest, I didn't notice it til you pointed it out

mrklaw

MrArseFace
damn at that mini town hall. I'd pay $75 just for that..almost. Any chance of it coming to the UK?

Any other of the modulars released as minis? I have the 'mini modular' set but obviously it doesn't have newer buildings.

Rootbeer

Banned
Halloween Bat sold out on S@H! Glad I got mine, but I wonder if they will restock it or not? It is pretty close to Halloween already so they probably don't have a whole lot more of them to go around.

Get your other holiday animals while you can.

Oh I thought I'd seen people post on here who'd been to shops that do that.

My local non-LEGO store regularly feels bags from series 2 through to current so they always have a labeled box, but they'll also let you feel unlabeled ones yourself. They would never open them though. I've not seen that outside of conventions.

I'm building metal beard's duel but I remember reading that it isn't accurate with the movie. Does anyone have the list of changes that I need to make to put him right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom