• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

neonglow

Another look at 40107 Ice Skating - the promo set for Brick Friday weekend.

S1GkPas.png

LEGO should have not have split the set into 2 things. They should have just made a big pond with 2 goals or just a single big hill. I'd like to get 2 so I create a hockey game scene.

mojiimbo

There's hope that they'll do a Hulkbuster next year as one of the new Avengers sets, right? That seems like it'll be a big set piece from that movie.

The VIP event should be the Saturday morning before Thanksgiving this year. Seems like it'll only be double VIP points plus...free wrapping paper. The good thing is it seems they'll extend that to all VIP members on that Saturday. The invite would get you in the store an hour before they open, plus the opportunity to get the Black Friday promo that morning, plus some undefined freebie...probably like the VIP keychains/bracelets or premium posters they've done in the past.

I can't remember, were triple points for that event last year or were they a surprise Black Friday thing?

FFS! I was picking up my Witch-King Battle and Lonely Mountain tonight, or so I thought. Turns out someone is nearsighted and instead of 79018 I got 75013 which is Umbaran MHC...

So no Smaug for me. And considering it's on back-order... I damn well hope they have spares.

Rootbeer

Banned
Saw a ton of Jungle Boats at TRU yesterday. I passed simply because I smelled another promo coming... Just like with several other of their recent polybag promos.

Guevara

I was just thinking: I wish they'd make a Minecraft figure with armor, who plays without it? And boom there is it.

I think with the crafting box they're really getting what to do with the license, finally. Here's a bunch of recognizable bricks: go nuts.

neonglow

Saw a ton of Jungle Boats at TRU yesterday. I passed simply because I smelled another promo coming... Just like with several other of their recent polybag promos.

I picked one up today at Toys R Us. I just need them to stock the kitty polybag and I think I'll have everything that's been available from them.

I can't believe i actually want the minecraft sets. what on earth.

Lego rebuild campaign continues:

Weathertop and the tiny teepee set from lone ranger done.

I really like weathertop and kind of wish I had multiples of it.

Werewolf tree is in front of me, and I am debating whether to actually build it or amalgamate it into my growing mishmash of random scenery bits.

Orc forge is in the pile too, which is actually going to get built. Wonder if orthanc is still in print....

edit:

orthanc and pet shop both have that concerning "shipping in 30 days" label on S@H. Feeling some stupid purchases are in danger of happening..... and town hall seems to already be dead? :(

Why did the middle-earth theme flop so hard when stupid star wars has been running for a decade :(

Maybe the movies are too dark in tone for kids under like...12?

Makes sense but Star Wars is pretty damn dark too. Palpatine freaked me out for a whole as a kid.

I do wish/hope the theme continues. There's still a lot of untapped stuff in that universe that would be great as Lego product.

Ponn

Banned
LEGO should have not have split the set into 2 things. They should have just made a big pond with 2 goals or just a single big hill. I'd like to get 2 so I create a hockey game scene.

That is a very good idea. Going to have to really plan to make 2 orders for BF.

Oh also hey Zulithe I saw a Lonely Mountain on AWD like new this morning for $115. i had an appointment I had to go to so couldn't post it but it looks like something to watch out for now.

I love the scorpion launcher in this set.

Yup. Might as well make it my mount doom substitute for my lego-lotrverse. "One does not simply touch a scorpion. Sauron has no power here. We shall cast the Ring into the pit of Oh-God-Why and be done with it."

Maybe the movies are too dark in tone for kids under like...12?

Idk. I guess I wasn't little enough when they started coming out to be a good judge. It doesn't really seem any darker than a lot of the stuff we loved when I was a kid. Action cartoons had no shortage of Boromir-style heroic sacrifices, and the story has a happy ending and no scenes of large-scale carnage. I feel like every time I re-examine childhood entertainment I find more fridge horror. The brain-worms in animorphs? everything in Remnants? how did I take those books in stride when i was 8 or 10. Mind control and transhumanism are spooky shit.

I have loved the animated hobbit film for as long as I can remember though, and I'd have been all over a mirkwood spiders set if the hobbit legos had existed in the mid-90s.

Ah well, if the theme dies, I'll just make massive bricklink purchases and do even more crazy mocs than I already have planned.

R-User!

New hobbit Dragon set has single booklet with hard spine. Dragon is awesome! Massive! Head twists, neck twists, head moves up and down. Wings are fully positionable due to ball joint socket.

I think they often went too much with playsets for the Hobbit sets which got kinda old. If all the sets were the quality of Bilbo's Hole, I think it would be a different story.

Also not having vehicles doesn't help matters

I think they often went too much with playsets for the Hobbit sets which got kinda old. If all the sets were the quality of Bilbo's Hole, I think it would be a different story.

Also not having vehicles doesn't help matters

Well the preference for structures over vehicles is one of the reasons I've loved the theme so I guess I'm doomed to disappointment forever in official sets.

And yeah, I'm kind of stunned that neither the balrog nor oliphants showed up. If I'd been told about the theme a couple years in advance, I would have felt the balrog was guaranteed in the first wave, and an oliphant/ horsemen battle pack would have seemed like an eventual shoo-in.

ghostmind

I'm disappointed that we never got most of these LotR beasts:

eYFgWj8.jpg

e0pCw7f.jpg

I will be getting Smaug though - just not until the set sees a hefty discount.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I'm building metal beard's duel but I remember reading that it isn't accurate with the movie. Does anyone have the list of changes that I need to make to put him right?

That would be me!

Like many others, I immediately fell in love with MetalBeard's character. He ticks all of my boxes: He's a giant Steampunk pirate mech, he's voiced by Nick Offerman (Ron Swanson from Parks and Recreation), and he's got one of THE coolest LEGO ships ever, The Sea Cow.

MetalBeard is clearly the star of the set, but I also really enjoy the huge Micro Manager build for him to fight. The minifigures are top notch as well--Skeletron, Robo Swat, and Frank the Foreman (when you say his name, he giggles heartily!) really add to the charm of the set.

One small thing that bothers me is that MetalBeard isn't quite screen accurate. While all the other characters and sets are exactly spot on to their film counterparts, the finished MetalBeard in this set doesn't quite match his surly self.

I've compiled a list of very small changes that can be done with the extra pieces given to you in the set:
1) Flip the flame piece on the hat the other way
2) Remove the grey plate under the lock, put the lock piece on the 2nd chest stud, and place an extra gold stud to the right
3) Attach the 3rd chain they give you to his left gold arm piece and right below the left chain
4) Place a flat grey stud on the remaining open spot on the right gold arm piece
5) Remove the grey piece from his left hand's thumb (noticed that on my 3rd viewing)

These are very small fixes, but they really add a lot of charm to the character and makes it look like MetalBeard swung out of the film!

mojiimbo

Minecraft launch date in the U.S. is November 15. For Lego direct it looks like they're going to be online exclusive until January, though. Not sure what the plan is for Target/TRU/Wal-Mart.

I think the smaller sets look better and more appealing. But that is just me.

I agree, but I can see the appeal for the mine as a playset. The mine cart action is pretty cool.

I really think LEGO did a great job in making compromises between the Minecraft game and LEGO. This turned out much better than I expected. I've already adjusted to the compromise of the minifig mobs not being completely blocky. I think kids will too as it's basically a mashup of LEGO and Minecraft. Mashups are all the rave nowadays anyway.

Rootbeer

Banned
I agree, but I can see the appeal for the mine as a playset. The mine cart action is pretty cool.

I really think LEGO did a great job in making compromises between the Minecraft game and LEGO. This turned out much better than I expected. I've already adjusted to the compromise of the minifig mobs not being completely blocky. I think kids will too as it's basically a mashup of LEGO and Minecraft. Mashups are all the rave nowadays anyway.

I think so too... I still think meshing the visual styles is a bit forced but LEGO has very carefully done about the best that could be achieved and the result mostly works.

I really like a lot of the printed pieces and new heads.

Are ALL the pieces printed? Do we know much about sticker use in these minecraft sets? it looks like almost everything is printed?

I will be ordering 2 or 3 on nov 1st I guess... not only are they good for minecraft fans in general but there are a lot of 'basic' pieces like 2x2 and 2x4 bricks which are great collection boosters for young builders.

Wonder what the pricing will be... the markup on the minecraft mini modulars was pretty ridiculous.

I personally don't mind the blocky look per se but man oh man do I have an issue with the aesthetics, mainly those characters. They make them look like cheap imitators.

I should just shut up about Lego Minecraft.

Rootbeer

Banned
I personally don't mind the blocky look per se but man oh man do I have an issue with the aesthetics, mainly those characters. They make them look like cheap imitators.

I should just shut up about Lego Minecraft.

I've had plenty of negative things to say about it as well. Yes, the minifigs are still lacking, taking standard minifigs and putting a block head on them can only achieve so much. imagine if they created all new torso, arms and leg pieces for this line that fits the Minecraft look and feel better? Now that could have been a gamechanger.

The armor pieces help hide the minifig body though so it looks a bit more authentic.

Anyway, i have been pricing around on Bilbo (blue coat) from the target exclusive blu-ray some time back... goddamn you can't get that figure for under $30, pretty insane. I should have just bought the blu-ray when I had the chance. i'm never passing on another exclusive minfig/dvd/blu-ray bundle ever again. The gains are just too lucrative.

Rootbeer

Banned
The mobs look good though (except the zombie with the standard minifigure body).

The zombie sucks. Best figures are in the Enderman set for my taste. But the rest of the set is about as bland as you could imagine.
That is a very good idea. Going to have to really plan to make 2 orders for BF.

Oh also hey Zulithe I saw a Lonely Mountain on AWD like new this morning for $115. i had an appointment I had to go to so couldn't post it but it looks like something to watch out for now.
I appreciate the thought, I actually picked that set up on Oct 15th when S@H first put them on sale. With Double VIP it was worth paying MSRP for. I do hope I can find a second Erebor on discount before it disappears though. Would love to catch it when it dips into the sub-$90 range. I'm trying to boost my sand green collection. I'd most likely sell the extra Smaug.

Krilekk

Banned
They are just too expensive. I'm willing to pay the license fee when the sets are detailed, Minecraft being Minecraft these are just too basic bricks to pay more than 10 Cent per piece. The mine is 922 pieces at 99.99 €. Basically every set except The Cave (19.99 € for 249) is above ten cent per piece. So for most of them I'll wait until at least a 20 % discount.

Rootbeer

Banned
They are just too expensive. I'm willing to pay the license fee when the sets are detailed, Minecraft being Minecraft these are just too basic bricks to pay more than 10 Cent per piece. The mine is 922 pieces at 99.99 €. Basically every set except The Cave (19.99 € for 249) is above ten cent per piece. So for most of them I'll wait until at least a 20 % discount.

And we will be waiting for some time since they may be online exclusive for a while.

The good news is I see those Minecraft micro world sets on discount often so I'm hoping we'll get the same here.

Krilekk

Banned
And we will be waiting for some time since they may be online exclusive for a while.

The good news is I see those Minecraft micro world sets on discount often so I'm hoping we'll get the same here.

They are available online at TRU in Germany and they have 20 % deals on LEGO once a month, 50 % off the second set from a series even. Quite often they just cut 10 % of the base price as the standard price because they have competition with Amazon. Just checked Amazon, they even have the Minecraft sets already available. Hmmm. Oh well, just ordered The Cave. :D

ghostmind

These are the supposed US Minecraft prices:

21113 $19.99
21114 $29.99
21115 $39.99
21116 $54.99
21117 $69.99
21118 $99.99

And I have seen no indication that these will not be available from retailers (TRU, Amazon, Walmart, etc).

Experien

BestBuy has sale on USB Bricks (Colors vary between Blue USB with Red Brick, Red USB with Blue Brick and Yellow USB with Blue Brick)

16GB for $10

8GB for $7

Guess you don't get to pick your color. They are PNY, anyone know if these are decent?

The local shop has switched retail chain, and they've expanded their range a bit. Maybe it's just to lure Christmas shoppers, but they now have Orthanc, Simpsons house, Sea Cow, Winter Village Market, Horizon Express and the Sydney Opera House. Not REALLY into any of these, but the prices are decent, about 10% off the standard Lego price here.

They also still have VW Camper and R2-D2, although at a quick glance it seems they sold off the last, damaged Fire Brigade.

I think so too... I still think meshing the visual styles is a bit forced but LEGO has very carefully done about the best that could be achieved and the result mostly works.

I really like a lot of the printed pieces and new heads.

Are ALL the pieces printed? Do we know much about sticker use in these minecraft sets? it looks like almost everything is printed?

I will be ordering 2 or 3 on nov 1st I guess... not only are they good for minecraft fans in general but there are a lot of 'basic' pieces like 2x2 and 2x4 bricks which are great collection boosters for young builders.

Wonder what the pricing will be... the markup on the minecraft mini modulars was pretty ridiculous.

According to this review of 21113 LEGO Minecraft The Cave and #21115 LEGO Minecraft The First Night all pieces are printed. Yay!

http://thebrickblogger.com/2014/10/minifig-scale-lego-minecraft-sets-review/

I hope these sets sell really well so they make another production run then clearance them out with good discounts at end of life. :)

BestBuy has sale on USB Bricks (Colors vary between Blue USB with Red Brick, Red USB with Blue Brick and Yellow USB with Blue Brick)

16GB for $10

8GB for $7

Guess you don't get to pick your color. They are PNY, anyone know if these are decent?

YMMV is my experience with USB flash drives even if same brand. PNY is a decent brand. As cool as it is, I wouldn't want my USB flash drive to be something people will want to play with all the time. I would think it would raise the chances of it going bad quicker.

---

UK peeps! Reality TV show calling your name.

BBC Collectaholics looking for LEGO collector
http://brickset.com/article/12815

Rootbeer

Banned
So it appears that the new Rocket Raccoon polybags are not scannable at Toys R Us...this means you can't convince the clerks to sell you several. It also means you may need to buy crappy sets to get them.

this makes me happy... i don't want someone going in there and buying 20 of them before I find them :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom