• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well? Did you make it to St Catherines today?

Yes. Had a successful trip.

I was surprised to see some monster fighters and Lone Ranger sets that have been long gone down here. Everything was more expensive too.

It was a bit awkward explaining the purpose of my trip to the border agents on both sides.

I was surprised to see some monster fighters and Lone Ranger sets that have been long gone down here. Everything was more expensive too.

It was a bit awkward explaining the purpose of my trip to the border agents on both sides.

I think that maybe Canada has a slightly similar situation as Sweden (although I'm sure the prices are much better): there's not as much a tradition of Ebay scalpers swooping down on anything even remotely possible to become rare. In the US, it seems stuff is always clearanced out before the actual demand has been fulfilled, making it much more valuable for second-hand sellers. Around here, it's more a case of stuff sitting around at standard price until that standard price is actually less than raised second-hand prices (see: my Fire Brigades).

neonglow

Would anyone in Canada be able to get me a Rocket Raccoon polybag? I can trade some of my polybags or something else for one.

Everything is awesome!

I don't think I could make just the map part. It uses the old type wedge plates with the notch. Gonna see if I can reproduce this and try to bricklink the old type wedge plates.

15234612887_e4c5019b81_b.jpg
Pictorial Map of The United States by mmbace, on Flickr

Pictorial Map of Europe by mmbace, on Flickr

That's awesome, glad you were successful. What did you buy to qualify for the fig?

Did you actually explain your real reason?

I had to come home after a flight out of your fair city was cancelled a few weeks ago. The border guard on the way back was hilarious- he explained in explicit detail how to game the alcohol import rules vs. tariffs to benefit me as much as possible. Long story short, a way to get $200 worth of beer for $110, even after crossing for less than an hour.

Rootbeer

Banned
Maybe it'll be a pack in with a special edition of GotG. When is that movie coming to Blu Ray/DVD?

i'd be okay with that too. I just hope we get it in some form this year, it's a really slick looking costume for Rocket. Not a big fan of the one that comes in the official set.

Rootbeer

Banned
It does have stickers... but there are few of them.

That does it. LEGO you need to make this Rocket polybag a free giveaway to anyone who owns the Milano since he comes with supplemental decorations for the ship!

put a redemption page up on lego.com and let us go at it :)

Rootbeer

Banned
At the building where I work, two large packages from LEGO arrived... and they are not for me! Someone in my building made a S@H order, you can tell by the distinct box and, well, i may have peaked at the sender address just to be sure. And yup, it's LEGO!

They are quite big, this order surely topped the $100 minimum to get the Workshop Elves freebie. I have only casually met the person the boxes are addressed to. I know they have no children old enough for toys and are of the geek persuasion so I suspect they bought it for themselves. We don't exactly get in circumstances where I feel like I could drop LEGO in a conversation unless I went out of my way to delay them. Not sure what to do. Guess I'll just have to live knowing there is another LEGO fan nearby... anonymously.

At the building where I work, two large packages from LEGO arrived... and they are not for me! Someone in my building made a S@H order, you can tell by the distinct box and, well, i may have peaked at the sender address just to be sure. And yup, it's LEGO!

They are quite big, this order surely topped the $100 minimum to get the Workshop Elves freebie. I have only casually met the person the boxes are addressed to. I know they have no children old enough for toys and are of the geek persuasion so I suspect they bought it for themselves. We don't exactly get in circumstances where I feel like I could drop LEGO in a conversation unless I went out of my way to delay them. Not sure what to do. Guess I'll just have to live knowing there is another LEGO fan nearby... anonymously.

Yeah just mention you saw they received a Lego package and ask them who it's for.

Ravek

Banned

Does he look like a Chima fan?

That's awesome, glad you were successful. What did you buy to qualify for the fig?

Did you actually explain your real reason?

I had to come home after a flight out of your fair city was cancelled a few weeks ago. The border guard on the way back was hilarious- he explained in explicit detail how to game the alcohol import rules vs. tariffs to benefit me as much as possible. Long story short, a way to get $200 worth of beer for $110, even after crossing for less than an hour.

Grabbed Monster Fighters mummy, sea creature, and werewolf. The cashier let me get 2 rockets.

Yeah I told them that the figure was only available in Canada.

Rootbeer

Banned
Hmm, TRU has the same Batwing polybag as Target. Saw a ton today. Hoping for early sightings of minecraft but it was not to be.

Ponn

Banned
So wait is that Rocket Raccoon polybag a TRU exclusive or is there a chance it will be a free promo for Lego stores in the US? I would prefer it to be a Lego store promo because TRU is out of the way for me and I don't like how they markup there Lego stuff.

Ryuuroden

So wait is that Rocket Raccoon polybag a TRU exclusive or is there a chance it will be a free promo for Lego stores in the US? I would prefer it to be a Lego store promo because TRU is out of the way for me and I don't like how they markup there Lego stuff.

I don't think it's available at US TRU stores. At least not yet, unless I missed something.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Today I went to a shop that had 2 Orthancs for 170 instead of 190 euros.

;_;

Ugh I bought 7 CMF at target last week for 2.99, I go back and now they are 3.99... Where they just on sale? I thought 2.99 was the normal price.

Ponn

Banned
Today I went to a shop that had 2 Orthancs for 170 instead of 190 euros.

Buy both of them. They make great stocking stuffers. :)

I don't think it's available at US TRU stores. At least not yet, unless I missed something.

Yea I don't think they are out in US yet but I was just wondering if they are for sure TRU exclusives everywhere or if there could be a chance when they come out here they could be Lego Store promo instead. Probably not, i'm just being too hopeful. I guess I could just try and find a set I need that isn't marked up there and get it.

Rootbeer

Banned
Ugh I bought 7 CMF at target last week for 2.99, I go back and now they are 3.99... Where they just on sale? I thought 2.99 was the normal price.
Noticed that too. I don't think it was a sale price be a use when they were 2.99 it was not marked as a sale. Not sure what the deal was honestly. An error?

As for rocket the polybag clearly has a TRU symbol on it. Take that for what you will.

Apparently tons of shops here in Sweden just got the Camper, Orthanc, WV Market, Sea Cow, Opera House and Horizon Express at reduced prices. Are they clearing out stock or just doing an aggressive move for Christmas to get people comfortable with big sets?

Ryuuroden

Hey all, I have photos of the latest Orthanc MOC additions, enjoy;

As you can probably tell, I have started to make Orthanc my own, I have started to deviate a large amount from existing models such as the one from the movie etc. I do plan to keep similarities and parts will revert to familiar designs but I really wanted to make the exterior even more ornate and less blocky as it is in other designs. I have a lot more curves in mine. I want to stay faithful to what Tolkien stated about it but at the same time I want parts of it, in particular the level the palantir was in to kind of depict the narcissism of saruman with ornate design.

EDIT: That floor pattern took like 10 hours to design and implement.

As you can probably tell, I have started to make Orthanc my own, I have started to deviate a large amount from existing models such as the one from the movie etc. I do plan to keep similarities and parts will revert to familiar designs but I really wanted to make the exterior even more ornate and less blocky as it is in other designs. I have a lot more curves in mine. I want to stay faithful to what Tolkien stated about it but at the same time I want parts of it, in particular the level the palantir was in to kind of depict the narcissism of saruman with ornate design.

Looks OK. Seems more like a playset. ;)
Epic work!

ghostmind

Went to the TRU Bat-Signal build event today. It was PACKED, and unless they had more in the back I'm thinking some went home empty-handed.

Just finished Ecto-1. Superb build, a lot of fun to put together. I only wish the proton packs had a little more detail on the back. I added a red blue green and yellow stud, one color to one pack. Worked well enough. Great work wetwired!

It goes swimmingly with the Haunted House my wife finished building today. Took her three days of building from a big Tupperware bin that I had disassembled the HH into last year. She hasn't built LEGO in over a decade but she did a great job. Somehow managed to miss two grey plates on the top most roof and some other bits and pieces. She fixed it like a champ though.

Was tempted to hit up Toys R Us to grab the Rocket poly but just got back from a NY trip and have already reached my LEGO budget for the next few months. Now I can't wait for Xmas to break out the Cottage and build Santa's Workshop plus the bonus set.

Ah LEGO.

Went to the TRU Bat-Signal build event today. It was PACKED, and unless they had more in the back I'm thinking some went home empty-handed.

Yeah they were swamped at my local TRU too. I have never seen them turn away so many adults too. They really enforced the "kids only" rule.

Interestingly (and smartly) they also insisted that the signal be built, and only after completing it would they give out the round Bat signal piece.

wetwired

JANG looks through the 1987 LEGO catalog:

http://youtu.be/WEAFNCOw6kA

So many cool Legoland sets back then. Really intensifies my desire for LEGO to diversify the CITY line.

That catalogue is pretty much smack bang in my childhood LEGO years, I had that police station, the light and sound police truck, the shell car, the little black car, the tv camera truck, highway patrol and the Lunar Patrol Craft just to name few. I always wanted that airport.

Zerojul

It goes without saying, but this is absolutely amazing. I'm gonna get Orthanc very soon and I'm already frustrated by how small and simplistic it will look compared to yours ;-)
Great work !!!

wetwired

EDIT: That floor pattern took like 10 hours to design and implement.

dat floor and lighting

wetwired

Just finished Ecto-1. Superb build, a lot of fun to put together. I only wish the proton packs had a little more detail on the back. I added a red blue green and yellow stud, one color to one pack. Worked well enough. Great work wetwired!

It goes swimmingly with the Haunted House my wife finished building today. Took her three days of building from a big Tupperware bin that I had disassembled the HH into last year. She hasn't built LEGO in over a decade but she did a great job. Somehow managed to miss two grey plates on the top most roof and some other bits and pieces. She fixed it like a champ though.

Was tempted to hit up Toys R Us to grab the Rocket poly but just got back from a NY trip and have already reached my LEGO budget for the next few months. Now I can't wait for Xmas to break out the Cottage and build Santa's Workshop plus the bonus set.

Ah LEGO.

Yeah the Haunted House is a perfect compliment to the Ecto-1, hopefully with halloween around the corner we see some cool dioramas of them together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom