• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just completed the Brick Bounty. I have mixed feelings.

Not about the cost; the set is massive, with the ridiculous masts taking up a ton of vertical clearance and the hull being pretty long on its own. At 100 dollars, that's well-worth it.

But there are a lot of things that feel... Half-finished? Like there are five spots for cannons, yet the set only comes with three cannons. There are two entrances to the Captain's quarters, yet only one has a door. The entire deck build seems to be set-up for a second deck where none exists. There is a cook with a frying pan, but no food. There is a crane, but it's not long enough to reach the deck.There isn't a parrot to be the captain's pet. The cannons lack the ability to slide in so the port holes can close, which could have been easily fixed with wheels.

It's a cool ass ship, but it feels like it needs some modification before it becomes a real beauty. The most important one would be adding a second deck and building up the prow to match. Seems easy enough that even a system novice like me could do it with all the exposed studs. The Treasure Island set actually provides some things to help complete the Brick Bounty, like a parrot and a banana for the cook.

Also, on a weird note: With the exception of the cabin boy, every pirate on the Brick Bounty is missing an eye. Ship's got a curse I tell yah.

Very much agreed, which is why I tore mine down to build a Neo BSB instead. It's cute enough, but more like the Caribbean Clipper in terms of level of finish. It's like, "we have a hull, let's throw some generic pirate-y parts on there and call it a day".

It's funny how the characters match the ones from the comic:
http://lego.brickinstructions.com/en/lego_instructions/set/6255/Pirate_Comic

Will was never a figure in the original sets (although easy enough to make), but the cabin boy is an obvious reference to him.

On another note, I had a brief visit to town the other day and picked up the small Friends set with the new parts (tourist stand thingie). Haven't built it yet, but it will be interesting to play around with the stuff. I also tried feeling up Simpsons bags, looking for Comic Book Guy and Maggie. After possibly feeling CBG and Marge (who I didn't get in the first release), I was fed up and just grabbed three more. Turns out I got Maggie as well, so I'm happy. The only one I could possibly want now is Smithers, and in that case I would need to make a companion mech for him since Burns is in the Lex Power Suit.

Ponn

Banned
Hello Friends. I have stopped Lego cold turkey because of paying off debt and as I discussed previously our new baby that is due next month. Well I received my Lego magazine in the mail this week and my wife saw the detection building. She looks at me and says, "DETECTIVE BUILDING! You don't have that." No dear....I told you I stopped buying Lego, I said. 'Well....you should get this for fathers day.'

I would love to get it....but I don't want to fall of the wagon. So I am here in the crack house asking the crack heads for advice. Lead me on oh level headed folk.

Obviously the correct answer is to just get it. You have been given the go ahead by the woman in charge so thats a green light right there.

My Ferris Wheel came today along with Winter Soldier. I also have a Mixer set being delivered tomorrow I got on an Amazon Warehouse deal for $120. My carnival is coming together.

Toxi

Banned
Very much agreed, which is why I tore mine down to build a Neo BSB instead. It's cute enough, but more like the Caribbean Clipper in terms of level of finish. It's like, "we have a hull, let's throw some generic pirate-y parts on there and call it a day".
The worst part is that the build for the stern is actually pretty cool (Love how the rear windows are done), but then you get to the rest of the hull and it's like they just gave up.

Hello Friends. I have stopped Lego cold turkey because of paying off debt and as I discussed previously our new baby that is due next month. Well I received my Lego magazine in the mail this week and my wife saw the detection building. She looks at me and says, "DETECTIVE BUILDING! You don't have that." No dear....I told you I stopped buying Lego, I said. 'Well....you should get this for fathers day.'

I would love to get it....but I don't want to fall of the wagon. So I am here in the crack house asking the crack heads for advice. Lead me on oh level headed folk.

If you were a former alcoholic, why would you go to a bar where all those you know are still alcoholics asking about drinking?

Stick with modulars only (and yearly Christmas sets...and...). Modulars only come out once a year. If your wife buys it, you are safe. Just don't buy any LEGO on your own.

P.S. Buy the Ferris Wheel.

oneHeero

Does anyone glue their mocs? I make sets for my 4 yr old but they lose pieces easily. The smaller creator sets in particular or random mocs.

Obviously the correct answer is to just get it. You have been given the go ahead by the woman in charge so thats a green light right there.

My Ferris Wheel came today along with Winter Soldier. I also have a Mixer set being delivered tomorrow I got on an Amazon Warehouse deal for $120. My carnival is coming together.

Nice score on the mixer. I got a damaged box one last year. Take pics of them together full of random minifigs.

Does anyone glue their mocs? I make sets for my 4 yr old but they lose pieces easily. The smaller creator sets in particular or random mocs.

You may get banned from this thread just by suggesting such a thing!!!
Not really.Just kidding.
Only time to glue LEGO is if you NEVER EVER plan on taking it apart and just use it for display. I recommend other toys that aren't assemble with many pieces (that are meant to be taken apart) for your 4yr old. Maybe Duplo (which I find way overpriced, even compared to LEGO). For kids that age, I recommend the big MegaBloks *GASP*. The reason is people tend to outgrow Duplo and at that age, kids can't really appreciate the quality difference. I waited until my kids were old enough to get LEGO and not Duplo because I know LEGO will last a lifetime or more. Case in point, is there a big aftermarket for Duplo sets or bricks?

Hmm. If I get another motor, I can use the single battery box to drive the Mixer and Ferris Wheel at the same time. Tempting.

EDIT: And the Ferris Wheel is done. God, that thing is magnificent once completed. There is a lot of repetition in the build, but most sets with that volume of repetition yield very attractive display results in the end. The playability factor of the set is also tip top, not to mention it is a great mini fig display. I need to populate it.

But first, time to build that TIE Advanced Prototype I picked up today!

Bought the Ultra Agents Invizable Gold Getaway, the cyber cycle is really cool. This color scheme is still pretty boss and I think Invizable's figure is pretty well done. I would take more vehicles like this one.

My god. The TIE Advanced Prototype. Killer set for that price. That makes two sub $50 sets (Hulkbuster being the other) that are top notch this year. I am late to the party on this set by a few months, but it is glorious. The price just makes it even better.

Rootbeer

Banned
Was worth paying the dino tax to own all of the JW sets. I'd love to get extras when they start putting them on sale.

Bring on June 12th!

oneHeero

You may get banned from this thread just by suggesting such a thing!!!
Not really.Just kidding.
Only time to glue LEGO is if you NEVER EVER plan on taking it apart and just use it for display. I recommend other toys that aren't assemble with many pieces (that are meant to be taken apart) for your 4yr old. Maybe Duplo (which I find way overpriced, even compared to LEGO). For kids that age, I recommend the big MegaBloks *GASP*. The reason is people tend to outgrow Duplo and at that age, kids can't really appreciate the quality difference. I waited until my kids were old enough to get LEGO and not Duplo because I know LEGO will last a lifetime or more. Case in point, is there a big aftermarket for Duplo sets or bricks?
Oh I really really don't want to glue them unless everyone else confessed to.doing it lol. Than I wouldn't feel as bad.

My son doesn't care for other type of lego, tried the Jr ones, tmnt etc and no go. He wants my bat Tumbler done now and wants the city train set

Rootbeer

Banned
Yeah, I didn't want to wait but I guess I'll get though Amazonzon. Gonna wait 3 days though.

Some LEGO sets are showing up as "Free Same-Day Delivery" for me. Not Ant Man, though it was a few days ago (the distribution center nearest me must have sold through theirs).

Something to watch out for in the future, if they have rolled that out in your area.

Excellent.

In that case, the newly released Ultrasonic Showdown looks pretty cool and is only $20. If you're feeling a little more bold, the Ultracopter is Ultrasweet.

Ultracopter is on my list. The Ocean HQ was so great. I need more of the Ultra Agents stuff.

On another note, I was just upstairs and looked at the Ferris Wheel on display again. My god, it looks so magnificent. It is one of those sets that costs a lot of money, and actually looks like it costs a lot of money. It is large and commanding. It immediately grabs your attention even among other display sets. The display factor of the set is one of the biggest selling points on it right now for me.

For $20 the Ant-Man set is totally worth it - if for the giant ant/wings alone. I took it into work and people loved it. Highly recommend! Cant wait for the film either!

My god. The TIE Advanced Prototype. Killer set for that price. That makes two sub $50 sets (Hulkbuster being the other) that are top notch this year. I am late to the party on this set by a few months, but it is glorious. The price just makes it even better.

sub 50 my ass! It's 54 euro in this strange place i live in somehow :(

Anyway, i did get it for 40 but haven't built it yet! I have Infearno Interception to do first ;)

Osahi

sub 50 my ass! It's 54 euro in this strange place i live in somehow :(

Anyway, i did get it for 40 but haven't built it yet! I have Infearno Interception to do first ;)

Yeah. Sale here. We get eurotax too. I mean, even the numeric euro price of sw an jw sets are higher then the dollar price. Add in the exchange rate and that is a big difference!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Lucky I checked my instruction box. I've been looking at fast flyers on bricklink but just found out that I already have it :p

Ordered the power jet and going to build all three of my jets for display - power jet, sonic boom, fast flyers.

Need to break some more down to make space though. Tower Bridge is the primary candidate, or the UCS imperial shuttle. But both are almost perfect display sets. I could look at putting up more shelves :)

anx10us

Banned
Long time lurker, have lots of Lego and 3 kids, thought i'd post this up incase anyone wanted to see some build pictures or had questions.

Unfortunately its not mine to keep, but I get to build it and keep it for a while, it will go on and be used at classic car shows throughout the UK.

7hSUl9V.jpg

cHZJQeZ.jpg

heZ7CJC.jpg

Some JANG reviews:

Heavy Haul Train:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbrGf3A2YEI

Sandman & Rhino Team-up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22FZAXhHP5s

Ninjago Chain Cycle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA3ZGSNhXnc

I gotta say, I don't like the two-color legs on Spider-Man. The red goes up too high and makes him look like he's wearing thigh-highs; and it wouldn't hurt if they had some printing on the front, too.

Meanwhile, I'm loving everything I see about the new Ninjago stuff. Makes me want to buy every set and use all the ghost parts to make a hugemongous ghost dragon!

So i finished my little project:

The Desert Oasis

I settled on something in between microscale and minifig scale size, though it's actually closer to microscale i guess...

fJfss6y.jpg

M6Fw8kk.jpg

uGG5S9E.jpg

zV6NUpt.jpg

Ideally, it should be even bigger in surface for the desert part, but since i wanted to go downhill toward the oasis itself, the piece could would quickly rack up to a point where i'd have to bricklink a crap ton of tan pieces...

Note how the little wet parts around the edges of the water are present even though in the desert there are no tides and especially not in a pond right? Well i only thought of that little fact AFTER i built it all lol, i just thought it'd give it a cool look. (It can be explained away with how the wind moves the water a little or how animals would sometimes wade through ;)

So i finished my little project:

The Desert Oasis

I settled on something in between microscale and minifig scale size, though it's actually closer to microscale i guess...

fJfss6y.jpg

Ideally, it should be even bigger in surface for the desert part, but since i wanted to go downhill toward the oasis itself, the piece could would quickly rack up to a point where i'd have to bricklink a crap ton of tan pieces...

Note how the little wet parts around the edges of the water are present even though in the desert there are no tides and especially not in a pond right? Well i only thought of that little fact AFTER i built it all lol, i just thought it'd give it a cool look. (It can be explained away with how the wind moves the water a little or how animals would sometimes wade through ;)

Nice. I like the palm trees.

Micro or minifig scale, there is no between.
It's microscale

Hellers

So. I haven't done any Lego stuff since I was a kid. Today while wandering around Tesco I randomly decided to buy a couple of cheap sets. Ended up with two Lego movie packs. The double decker couch and a police car. Was very relaxing building them and very satisfying to finish.

I'm going back tomorrow to buy a small Minecraft set and I've got a space shuttle and tree house ordered from Amazon.

I think I might medically need one of these too
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H9Y22RE/

M2ySCz6.jpg

It's a disease

Ponn

Banned
You know I can tell when i'm having a bad depression day when i'm staring at the Ferris Wheel box and have no motivation or want to build it. :( Maybe next weekend. I might build some mixels later. I also have that Balloon Cart polybag I never opened that would go good with Mixer/Ferris Wheel.

You know I can tell when i'm having a bad depression day when i'm staring at the Ferris Wheel box and have no motivation or want to build it. :( Maybe next weekend. I might build some mixels later. I also have that Balloon Cart polybag I never opened that would go good with Mixer/Ferris Wheel.

Don't open that polybag. Trade it to me for another polybag you're after!

I haven't cracked the Ferris wheel either. Built a little version of my daughter's room over the last week and it ate up most of my time.

Ponn

Banned
Don't open that polybag. Trade it to me for another polybag you're after!

I haven't cracked the Ferris wheel either. Built a little version of my daughter's room over the last week and it ate up most of my time.

Well okay if you say so.....WAAAAAIT a minute! Nice try.

that's a neat idea building rooms from your own house. you could even use them to test out redecorating before actually doing it.

Well okay if you say so.....WAAAAAIT a minute! Nice try.

that's a neat idea building rooms from your own house. you could even use them to test out redecorating before actually doing it.

That's exactly what I am doing for my older daughter. She desperately wants a loft bed with a desk underneath so when I do her room it'll be our way of saying "yes".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom